Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Baking with Splenda

Does anyone have any personal experience using Splenda as a sugar substitute
when baking cookies, muffins, etc. ? What do you find works best? I went to
Splenda.com and read that some modification is needed when baking certain
things such a layer cake, which needs the addition of baking soda and
powered milk for increased volumn. I was in a supermarket this morining and
compared sugar-free Jello with the regular Jello. Sugar-free weighed point 3
oz. Regular weighed 3 oz. So I can see where sugar does add bulk. Any
feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon, 7 May 2007 10:54:47 -0700, "Frank103" >
wrote:

Being a hypogloceimic I must watch my sugar intake. So I use Splenda
instead of sugar except in special instances. I have made some peanut
brittle using splenda and it was sooooooooooo good. Have have used
splenda when making bread but I go half sugar half splenda. The sugar
being used to make yeast work.

I have made a bread pudding, apple pie, pumkin pie, fruit cobblers,
rice pudding and all turned out great. When substatuting splenda for
sugar do not use a 1 to 1 ratio. Cut back on the splenda by a
tablespoon per cup, as splenda is much sweether.

I own two Splenda cooking books. One titled "Fantastic Food with
Splenda' and "Splenda No Calorie Sweetener". Both have great recipes

>Does anyone have any personal experience using Splenda as a sugar substitute
>when baking cookies, muffins, etc. ?

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have any personal experience using Splenda as a sugar
> substitute when baking cookies, muffins, etc. ? What do you find works
> best? I went to Splenda.com and read that some modification is needed
> when baking certain things such a layer cake, which needs the addition of
> baking soda and powered milk for increased volumn. I was in a supermarket
> this morining and compared sugar-free Jello with the regular Jello.
> Sugar-free weighed point 3 oz. Regular weighed 3 oz. So I can see where
> sugar does add bulk. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have tried Splenda in a variety of recipes and some work some don't. Bread
bakes up far better with regular sugar than with Splenda. I have tried half
and half sugar to Splenda and still not been satisfied.

Splenda does not cream with butter as well as sugar either. Meringue doesn't
come together at all with Splenda.

I would look for recipes written specifically for Splenda or just trial and
error it through your favorite recipes.

Good Luck

Cindi

> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 08 May 2007 06:22:19 GMT
Alton R. Martin > wrote:
> Being a hypogloceimic I must watch my sugar intake. So I use Splenda
> instead of sugar except in special instances. I have made some peanut
> brittle using splenda and it was sooooooooooo good. Have have used
> splenda when making bread but I go half sugar half splenda. The sugar
> being used to make yeast work.

A popular misconception.

Yeast does eat sugar. It also eats complex carbohydrates. The yeast
culture as a whole is healthier eating starch than it is eating simple
sugars. It doesn't breed as fast, but doesn't die as fast either.

Lots of good breads are made without sugar. A baguette in france
contains only flour, water, yeast, and salt by law.

You might not be able to get away with speed proofing, but if you
care about the quality of your bread you shouldn't be speed proofing
anyway. Form the loaves and stick 'em in the refrigerator for 8 to 12
hours. Tastes better that way.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:58:16 -0600, Eric Jorgensen
> wrote:

.. Have have used
>> splenda when making bread but I go half sugar half splenda. The sugar
>> being used to make yeast work.

> A popular misconception.
>

> Lots of good breads are made without sugar.

Best news I've heard all day; thank you very much. Will adjust
according

Splenda bfairey General Cooking 7 11-05-2007 05:25 AM
Baking soda and baking powder. Some question Pandora General Cooking 11 24-08-2006 12:40 PM
Splenda PackMule64 Diabetic 0 13-06-2006 05:57 AM
Splenda Ed Ahern Diabetic 3 25-02-2006 06:01 AM
what do baking soda and baking powder do in cooking? [email protected] General Cooking 3 13-07-2005 11:08 PM