MelissaT

Default Key Lime Pie

I just got married less than a month ago, and I have discovered a
newfound love for cooking I did not have before. As the holidays are
approaching, I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for key lime
pie. Thanks a lot

Melissat
Scott Taylor

"MelissaT" > wrote in message
m...
> I just got married less than a month ago, and I have discovered a
> newfound love for cooking I did not have before. As the holidays are
> approaching, I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for key lime
> pie. Thanks a lot
>
> Melissat

One 9" baked pie crust, regular or graham cracker

1/2 cup key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
4 egg yolks
1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Blend filling ingredients, pour into crust. Bake at 350 for about 15
minutes, till filling is set. Cool, chill well. Top with meringue or
whipped cream.

-Scott

LIMEYNO1

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Desserts, Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

3/4 c Key Lime juice
2 ts Key Lime juice
2 1/4 c Sweetened condensed milk
1 ts Grated Key lime rind
3 ea Egg yolks
1 ea 9" graham cracker pie crust
1 x Sweetened whipped cream

Squeeze juice from 4 lg or 6 small Key Limes and grate rind; set
aside. Using a whisk beat egg yolks until buttercup yellow. Add about
half the condensed milk, using whisk. Blend well and add remaining
milk. Add half the lime juice and blend slowly. Add remaining juice
and blend. Add grated rind; mix and pour into chilled pie crust.
Refrigerate 4 hours. May be frozen. To serve, slice while still
frozen and let stand about 10 minutes. Top with whipped cream. Mrs.
Harold T. Cook

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Americana Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 6 Servings

MMMMM--------------------MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-------------------------
1 tb Unflavored gelatin
1/2 c Sugar
1/4 ts Salt
4 Egg yolks
1/2 c Key lime juice
1/4 c Water
1 ts Lime zest
4 Egg whites
1/2 c Sugar
1 c Heavy cream; whipped
1 9 inch pie crust; baked
Pistachio nuts; chopped
Lime slices; for garnish
Whipped cream; for garnish

In a medium saucepan combine gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. In a
small bowl beat together egg yolks, lime juice and water then stir
into gelatin mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat, until mixture
just comes to the boil. Remove from heat and stir in lime zest.
Refrigerate mixture and chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture
mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. Beat egg whites till soft
peaks form, then add 1/2 cup sugar beating to stiff peaks. Fold
gelatin mixture into egg whites. Fold in whipped cream. Transfer
mixture into prebaked, cooled, pie crust. Chill till firm. Garnish
with more whipped cream and lime zest.

By The Thieving Gourmet > on 3/22/98 11:40 AM Central
Standard Time.

by

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Delicious Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 6 Servings

1 tb Plain gelatin
1/4 ts Salt
1/2 c Key lime,strained
1 ts Grated lime peel
1 ea Baked graham cracker crust
1 c Sugar
4 ea Eggs,separated
1/4 c Water
1 c Heavy cream,whipped

Mix the gelatin,half of the sugar and the salt in a saucepan.In
another pan,beat the egg yolks well.Add the lime juice and water to
the egg yolk mixture.Stir the egg yolk mixture into the gelatin
mixture.Cook over low heat,stirring constantly,just until the mixture
comes to a boil.Remove from heat;stir in grated peel.Chill,stirring
occasionally,until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a
spoon. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.Gradually,add the
remaining sugar,beating until stiff.Fold into the chilled gelatin
mixture.Fold in whipped cream (reserve some for topping,if
desired).Pour into the baked crust.Chill until firm.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Florida Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

1 x -------------c--------------
2 tb Sugar
1 x -------------f--------------
1/2 c Freshly squeezed lime juice
1/8 ts Salt
2 1/2 c Heavy cream
1 1/4 c Graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c Butter, melted
5 ea Large egg yolks
1/3 c Sugar
2 tb Coarsely grated lime peel
1 ea Small lime,sliced,optional

Prepare crust: Heat oven to 375 degrees.In 9" pie plate combine graham
cracker crumbs and 2 tbsp. sugar;stir in butter until blended. Press
mixture firmly and evenly over bottom and sides of pie plate; bake 10
minutes until browned.Cool completely on wire rack. Prepare filling:
In top of double boiler using wire whisk,beat egg yolks,lime
juice,1/3 cup sugar and salt until well blended.Set over simmering
water;cook about 5 minutes,stirring constantly until mixture is thick
enough to coat back of metal spoon.Remove from heat; stir in 1 tbsp.
grated lime peel.Refrigerate mixture about 45 minutes until
cool.Meanwhile,in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed,beat
cream until soft peaks form.Set 1 cup whipped cream aside for
garnish;fold cooled lime mixture into remaining cream.Spoon filling
into prepared crust;refrigerate at least 2 hours until set. To serve:
Spoon remaining whipped cream decoratively over top of pie; sprinkle
cream with remaining 1 tbsp. lime peel.Garnish with lime slices,if
desired.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Islamorada Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 6 Servings

1 c Condensed milk
1/2 c Key lime juice
1 c Sugar
6 ea Eggs,separated
1 tb Cream of tartar
1 ea 10" or 2 8" pie crusts

Whip together condensed milk and separated egg yolks until light and
creamy at medium speed,about 8 minutes.Add 1/2 cup lime juice. Let
rotate at low speed for about 1 second.Fold a few times with a rubber
spatula.Pour into baked pie shell.Let stand. Beat separated egg
whites with cream of tartar for a full five minutes.Add sugar.Beat
another full five minutes.Spread on top of pie.Brown in oven at 350
degrees.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Pier House Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies, Desserts
Yield: 8 Servings

4 Each Eggs; separated
14 oz Sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c Key or Persian lime juice
1/2 ts Cream of tartar
1 ea 9" graham cracker crust

MMMMM--------------------------MERINGUE
4 ea egg whites
4 tb sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. With an electric mixer, beat the egg
yolks on high speed until thick and light in color. Turn off mixer
and add the condensed milk, Mix on low speed. Still on low speed, add
half the lime juice, cream of tartar and then the remaining lime
juice. Mix until blended. Pour into prepared crust and bake for 10 to
15 minutes or until the center is firm and dry to the touch. Freeze
for at least 3 hours before topping with meringue. To make meringue,
heat the egg whites and sugar in the top of a double boiler, stirring
frequently, to 110 degrees. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks are
formed. Top the frozen pie and return it to the freezer until ready
to serve. It keeps for several days.

From: "Saskia Gadet" <icu05708@euronet.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Gran'ma Golds' Original Key Lime Pie.
Categories: Pies
Yield: 1 Pie

1 cn Condensed Milk
4 Egg yolk
1/2 c Lime Juice

Beat 1 egg white stiff. Fold into above mixture. Beat 3 egg white and
gradually add 6 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cream of
tartar. Put into baked pie shell and bake till egg whites are golden
brown. (350 degrees)

The Key Lime Pie is nationally known as one of Florida's outstanding
desserts. During the early days of the Florida Keys, thirfty wives of
"conch" settlers used juice from wild limes to make up this original
recipe.

The above recipe came from the back of a postcard bought at Florida
Natural Color in Miami Florida in the 1950's.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie I Low Fat Version
Categories: Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

1 Whole graham cracker pie
Crust, 9 inch
4 Whole egg yolks
1/2 c Key Lime juice
14 oz Eagle Brand Condensed Milk,
FatFree
1 Whole lime zest

Bake pie shell or use a graham cracker crust if you prefer. Beat
yolks on medium speed until thick and lemon-colored. Heat juice in a
saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Gradually stir
about 1/4 of hot lime juice into yolks and then add yolks to
remaining hot lime juice in saucepan - stirring constantly.

Cook 2 minutes - stirring continually. Remove from heat and cool. Add
sweetened condensed milk - stirring until mixture thickens. Spoon
filling into crust. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Beat cream
with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Add sugar, 1
tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form. Spoon whipped cream onto
pie.

Refrigerate until serving time.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Marco Island Key Lime Pie
Categories: Cheese/eggs, Jewish, Fruits, Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

1 tb Butter
1 1/2 c Chopped pecans
3/4 c Graham cracker crumbs
2 Lime rind, grated
3/4 ts Cinnamon
1 1/2 tb Sugar
7 Egg yolk
2 cn Sweetened condensed milk,
-(14 oz)
1/2 c Key lime juice
2 Lime rind, grated
Whipped cream

PECAN CRUST Saute pecans in butter until lightly browned. Place nuts
and butter in food processor, and add the crumbs, lime peel,
cinnamon, sugar, and mix till coarse. Press into a 10" pie plate,
reserving some for garnish if you like. PIE FILLING Beat egg yolks at
high speed 4-5 minutes. Slowly add condensed milk with the mixer
running at medium, then add lime juice the same way. Add peel and mix
slowly. Pour mixture into the prepared crust. Fill baking pan halfway
with water, and place on lowest rack of the oven. Place pie plate on
rack above water, and bake at 300 degrees until firm, 20-25 minutes.
Do not allow pie to brown. Remove pie, and cool to room temperature,
then place in refrigerator to set and chill for about 4 hours. To
serve, you may garnish with whipped cream and crust crumbs if you
like NOTES : The "Key" limes have a sharper taste than regular ones,
but they're similar to the yellow limes you can find in Mexican
markets. You can use the regular limes, but the pie won't have the
tartness it's supposed to.

Recipe by: Marco Island Resort

From:
(The Meades)

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 16:48:30 -0500

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Original Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies, Fruits, Usa
Yield: 8 Servings

1 ea Unflavored gelatin
1/4 c Water
2/3 c Sugar; divided
1/2 c Key lime juice
1/4 t Salt
2 t Grated lime rind
4 ea Eggs; separated
1 x 9" baked pastry shell

I got this recipe from a "Cracker," and it will dispute the previous
statement that all will agree on how to make the best Key Lime Pie.
My tree froze, but came back, so we've enjoyed this recipe a lot this
year. Mix together gelatin, 1/3 c sugar and salt in saucepan. Combine
slightly beaten egg yolks, water & lime juice. Add to gelatin
mixture. Place over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin
dissolves, about 6 min. Remove from heat and add rind. Cool. Beat egg
whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add remaining 1/3 c sugar
and beat until stiff. Fold in gelatin mixture. Turn into pastry shell
and chill until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices if
desired. Note: To make lime chiffon cream pie, fold in 1/2 c heavy
cream, whipped before turning into pastry shell. This is a much
lighter pie than the one using sweetened condensed milk, and I think
it has a more of the flavor of Key limes.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie "Original"
Categories: Pies, Usa
Yield: 8 Servings

1 ea Unflavored gelatin
1/4 c Water
2/3 c Sugar; divided
1/2 c Key lime juice
1/4 t Salt
2 t Grated lime rind
4 ea Eggs; separated

9" ea baked pastry shell I got this recipe from a "Cracker," and
it will dispute the previous statement that all will agree on how to
make the best Key Lime Pie. My tree froze, but came back, so we've
enjoyed this recipe a lot this year. Mix togethe gelatin, 1/3 c sugar
and salt in saucepan. Combine slightly beaten egg yolks, water & lime
juice. Add to gelatin mixture. Place over low heat, stirring
constantly, until gelatin dissolves, about 6 min. Remove from heat
and add rind. Cool. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
Gradually add remaining 1/3 c sugar and beat until stiff. Fold in
gelatin mixture. Turn into pastry shell and chill until firm. Garnish
with whipped cream and lime slices if desired. Note: To make lime
chiffon cream pie, fold in 1/2 c heavy cream, whipped before turning
into pastry shell. This is a much lighter pie than the one using
sweetened consensed milk, and I think it has a more of the flavor of
Key limes.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Best "Key Lime" Pie
Categories: Pies, Fruits, Usa
Yield: 8 Servings

2 cn Limeade
2 ea Cool whip; med
2 cn Condensed milk.

Gently mix together and put in pie shell of your choice. Maybe you
could figure out the amount of key lime juice to substitute for the
limeade. This recipe is a little better for those of us who watch our
cholesterol -- no eggs.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Dmn- Key Lime Pie with Lime Curd
Categories: Pies, Fruits, Usa
Yield: 8 Servings

Crust; (recipe follows)
1 3/4 c Sugar
3/4 c Butter
9 Key limes; about 3/4 cup ,
-juice of
8 lg Eggs; beaten
Whipped cream; (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare crust; refrigerate. For curd, heat
sugar, butter and lime juice in top of double boiler over low heat.
Cook, stirring constantly, until butter melts. Whisk in eggs; cook
until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to stainless-steel bowl placed in another bowl filled with
ice to chill, stirring constantly.

Spoon curd into crust. Cover with plastic wrap set directly on top of
curd. Refrigerate 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

CRUST: Combine 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup ground
pecans and 3 tablespoons sugar in a 9-inch pie pan. Stir in 1/3 cup
melted butter. Mold crumbs against sides and bottom of pan. Bake 4
minutes in 35O-F oven. Cool; chill in refrigerator.

Per serving- Cal 718 (49% tat) Fat 43 g (20 g sat) Fiber 2 g Chol
310mg Sodium 620mg Carbs 92g Calcium 60mg

Source: Adapted from "Allen Susser's New World Cuisine and Cookery"
From the Dallas Morning News Typos by Bobbie Beers, converted by
MM_Buster v2.0l. From: Jim Weller Date: 17 Sep 98

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Green River Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

MMMMM--------------------MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-------------------------
8 Egg yolks
28 oz Sweetened condensed milk
7 oz Key lime juice
1 Deep-dish graham cracker
-crust; (9-inch)

Beat egg yolks until thoroughly blended. Add milk and key lime juice.
Mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Pour into pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. (Outside
edge will be set.) Cool on wire rack to room temperature. Refrigerate
for at least 2 hours before serving.

Makes 1 9-inch pie.

NOTE: Paul Little, owner of the Green River Coffee Co. in Wilson,
credits the key lime juice with the success of this dessert. The
brand he uses, Nellie and Joe's, is available in supermarket wine and
drink mix sections.

Key limes are different from regular (Persian) limes in appearance and
taste. Key limes (named after the Florida Keys) are golfball-size
limes that are more yellow than green.

"Pucker power" is what really gauges a good Key lime pie. Tart and
tangy, this Key lime pie passes the test.

Provided by: Specialty of the House, The News & Observer, P.O. Box
191, Raleigh, N.C. 27602

Formatted and Busted by
3/16/98

Recipe by: Green River Coffee Co., Wilson

by

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie-Philadelphia Inquirer
Categories: Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

MMMMM--------------------MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-------------------------
1 tb Unflavored gelatin
Few drops green food colorin
1/2 c Sugar
4 Egg whites
1/4 ts Salt
1/2 c Sugar
4 Egg yolks
1 c Heavy cream; whipped
1/2 c Lime juice
1 9-inch baked pie shell
1/4 c Water
1 ts Lime peel; grated

1. Thoroughly mix the gelatin, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. 2. Beat
together the egg yolks, lime juice, and water; stir into the gelat
mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until the
mixtur comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the grated
peel. 3. Add the food coloring sparingly to give a pale green color.
Chill, stirring occasionally, until the mixture mounds slightly when
dropped from a spoon. 4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form;
gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks.5. Fold the
gelatin mixture into the egg whites; fold in the whipped cream Pile
into the pastry shell. Chill until firm. 6. Spread with additional
whipped cream and edge with grated lime.

by

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Easy Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies &, Pastry
Yield: 8 Servings

1 1 4 oz. can sweetened
-condensed milk
1/2 c up Key lime or regular
-lime juic
1 c ontainer {8 oz.} frozen
-whipped topp; thawed
1 6 oz. pkg. ready-to-use
-chocolate flavore
Graham cracker pie crust
Grated lime peel; if desired

1. Beat milk and lime juice in large bowl with electric mixer on
medium speed until smooth and thickened. Fold in whipped topping. 2.
Spoon lime mixture into pie crust. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or
until set. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie. Garnish with
grated lime peel.

Recipe by: Betty Crocker

By Ed Griffin Read: No Replied:
No To: All Mark: Subj: Peanut Brittle on Oct 17, 1998, converted by
MM_Buster v2.0j.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Pier House Key Lime Pie From Chef Freddy
Categories: Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

MMMMM------------------------FOR THE PIE-----------------------------
14 oz Milk [sweetened/condensed]
4 Egg yokes
1 tb Cream of tartar
4 oz Key lime juice
1 9" graham cracker pie crust

MMMMM----------------------FOR THE TOPPING---------------------------
2 c Key lime juice
3/4 lb Sugar (not a typo!)

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Beat the egg yolks until they are a pale
yellow. Pour in the milk and cream of tartar at the same time and
beat on medium speed of an electric mixer for 5 minutes. Add the lime
juice and mix for 5 more minutes. You cannot over mix on this recipe.
Pour mixture into a 9-inch graham cracker pie shell and place on a
cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until the pie turns light in
color. Refrigerate. For the topping Add ingredients to a saucepan and
bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until sauce is a golden brown.
Refrigerate until thick. Pour over the key lime pie before serving.

This pie will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.

Source: Chef Bob at the Pier House Resort, Key West, Florida

From: "Saskia Gadet" <icu05708@euronet.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie with Ginger Snap Crust
Categories: Publication, Pies
Yield: 6 Servings

2 c Ginger crumbs, crushed
Store bought ginger
Snap cookies
4 tb Water
3 tb Butter
=Key Lime Filling===-
8 Egg yolks
32 oz Sweet condensed milk
1 c Key lime juice
Grated zest of 2 limes
2 ts Bitters

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.To make the crust, combine the crumbs,
water and butter. Once the crumbs are moist, mold into a 10 in. tart
pan or spring form pan. Bake for 8 minutes.

For the filling, combine the yolks, condensed milk, key lime juice,
the zest and bitters in a mixing bowl and whisk together until well
combined. Pour into ginger snap crust an bake for an additional 15
minutes.

Yield: one 10 in. pie

Recipe courtesy of Stacie Pierce, Pastry Chef - Union Square Cafe

SOURCE: Cooking LIVE! Show Copyright 1998, TV FOOD NETWORK SHOW
#CL8972 Format by Dave Drum From: Dave Drum Date: 22 Jul 98

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie with Almond Crumb Crust
Categories: Pies
Yield: 1 Servings

MMMMM-----------------------FOR THE CRUST----------------------------
1 c Zweiback crumbs or graham
-cracker crumbs
2/3 c Blanched almonds; toasted
-lightly,
; cooled completely,
; and ground fine in
; a food processor
1/2 Stick unsalted butter;
-melted and cooled
; (1/4 cup)
1/4 c Sugar
3 lg Eggs; separated, the
; whites at room
; temperature
A 14-ounce can sweetened
-condensed milk
1/2 c Key lime juice; (available
-bottled
; at specialty food
; shops) orfresh lime
; juice (about 3
; limes)
1/3 c Sugar

Make the crust:

In a bowl combine well the crumbs, the almonds, the butter, and the
sugar, press the mixture onto the bottom and side of a 10-inch pie
plate, and bake the shell in the middle of a preheated 350&deg;F.
oven for 10 minutes, or until it is browned lightly. Let the shell
cool on a rack.

In a large bowl beat the yolks with the condensed milk and stir in
the lime juice, a little at a time, stirring to combine the filling
well. Spoon the filling into the shell and chill the pie for 1 hour.
In a bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold
soft peaks, add the sugar, beating, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat
the meringue until it holds stiff peaks. Spread the meringue over the
filling and bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 350&deg;F. oven
for 15 minutes, or until the meringue is just golden. Chill the pie
for 2 hours.

Gourmet April 1990 From: Uk Recipe Archive

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie #5
Categories: Pies
Yield: 8 Servings

2 c Cold milk
2 4-serv size vanilla pudding
-mix
2 ts Grated lime rind
8 oz Pkg. cool Whip Lite®; or
-reg/thawed
1 Ready crust graham cracker
-crust; (6 ounce)
Lime slices; optional

Pour milk into large bowl. Add pudding mixes and lime peel. Beat with
wire whisk 2 minutes or until smooth. (Mixture will be thick.)
immediately stir in 1/2 of the whipped topping. Spoon into crust.
Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Garnish with remaining whipped
topping and lime slices. Makes 8 servings. Keebler/Jello/Cool Whip
recipe MC formatting by
ICQ# 12099532

Recipe by: Keebler/Jello/Cool Whip recipe

MM by Helen Peagram
by Roberta Banghart > on Apr 18, 1999, converted
by MM_Buster v2.0m.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 1 Pie

3 Eggs
14 oz Condensed milk (one
-standard can)
4 oz Key Lime juice
Sugar
1 Graham cracker pie
-crust

Separate the eggs. You'll be whipping the whites, so put them in a
large enough bowl. Combine the egg yolks, the condensed milk and the
juice, and stir until thoroughly combined. The acidity of the juice
thickens the milk and eggs into a custard.

Add a pinch of sugar to the egg whites, and beat them until stiff but
not dry.

Spoon the custard into the pie crust and even it out. Spoon the
beaten egg whites on top of the custard and even it out so it looks
pretty.

Chill before serving. If you like, run the pie under a hot broiler
for a minute until the egg whites are slightly browned. (This is
primarily for appearance, it doesn't affect the flavor much.)

NOTES:

* Traditional lime pie dessert from the Florida Keys ~- This very
easy custard pie originated in the Florida Keys in the 1800's when
fresh ingredients other than the local limes were hard to come by.
See the notes for information on some of the ingredients. Yield: One
8-inch pie.

* Everybody in the Florida Keys seems to have a variant of this
recipe. It shows up on postcards, place mats, lime juice bottles and
guide books. Some people fold a little of the beaten egg white into
the custard to make it lighter. Some put sweetened whipped cream on
top rather than egg white. Some use two or four eggs.

* Traditionally, this pie is made from the juice of the Key lime, a
small yellow citrus fruit quite different from the larger and more
familiar Persian lime. Key limes are very sensitive to cold and in
the U.S. have never been grown above the very southern tip of
Florida. Bad weather and disease have killed off so many of them that
the only remaining grove is a private one on one of the Keys, so you
cannot buy Key lime juice in the U.S. any more. Key limes are still
grown widely in South America and probably elsewhere on other
continents.

There is something called Key West lime juice sold in pint bottles
which everybody uses instead now, which seems to be regular lime
juice slightly concentrated. It's widely available in Florida and
occasionally elsewhere in the U.S. It's also available via mail order
from Key West Aloe, telephone +1 305 294 5592 or 800-327-5866. In a
pinch, you can substitute regular lime juice, though it doesn't
produce quite the bright yellow custard that traditionalists like.
You may have to use extra juice, because Persian limes are less
acidic than Key limes.

: Difficulty: easy.
: Time: 20 minutes preparation, 1-2 hours chilling.
: Precision: approximate measurement OK.

: John Levine
: Interactive Systems Corp, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
:

: Copyright (C) 1986 USENET Community Trust

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: American, Tarts, Fruit, Dairy, Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

4 Eggs (separated)
14 oz Condensed milk
1/3 c Key lime juice
1/2 ts Cream of tartar
1/3 c Sugar
1 Baked 9-inch pastry shell

Combine egg yolks, milk, and lime juice in a heavy sauce pan. Cook
over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 160
degrees F. This kills the salmonella, if any, in the eggs. It should
take about 10 minutes to reach the 160 degree temperature.

Beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar at high speed just until
foamy. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until
stiff peaks form and the sugar dissolves.

Pour the hot filling into the shell. Immediately spread the meringue
over the shell, sealing to the edge. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to
28 minutes.

This recipe came from Southern Living Magazine, but I forgot to write
down the partiular issue that had it.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Desserts, Pies
Yield: 1 Pie

1 c Sugar
PLUS
2 tb Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 c Cold water
1 1/2 c Hot water
6 tb Fresh lime juice
3 lg Eggs separated
3 tb Butter of margarine
1 tb Grated lime rind
1 ea 9 inch pie shell, baked
6 tb Sugar
1/8 ts Salt

MMMMM--------------------------GARNISH-------------------------------
Fresh lime slices

Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and cold water in a saucepan. Mix
well. Add hot water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until
mixture is very thick. Stir in fresh lime juice. Return to heat and
cook until thickened.

Beat egg yolks lightly. Beat in a small amount of hot mixture. Pour
into lime mixture. Cook for about two minutes to thicken, stirring
constantly. Stir in butter and lime rind. Cool.

Pour into cold baked pie shell.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Beat in 6 tablespoons of
sugar and the salt gradually, beating until well blended.

Spread over top of pie. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated 300 degree
oven.

Serve cold, garnish with fresh lime slices if desired.

Womans Day Enc

++ Typed but not tested ++ ++ Courtesy of Dale & Gail Shipp, Columbia
Md. ++

From: Gail Shipp Date: 16 Sep 98

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 1 Servings

MMMMM--------------------MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-------------------------
1 cn Sweetened condensed milk
3 Egg yolks
1/2 c Fresh key lime juice
1 Single pie shell; baked
3 Egg whites
1/2 ts Cream of tartar
1/2 ts Vanilla
6 tb Superfine sugar

Beat first three ingredients together until thick and smooth. Pour
mixture in pie shell. Make meringue and spread over pie filling. Bake
to brown, then chill before serving.

Note: A key lime pie that is green is not a key lime pie. The Florida
Cracker purist insists on the yellow pie made from true key limes. The
trick is to squeeze them while they're in season, freeze the juice in
ice cube trays, store them in freezer bags, and you'll have Key Lime
Pie all year round.

From Maurice's Tropical Fruit Cook Book Source: Best of the Best from
Florida

Recipe by: Maurice's Tropical Fruit Cook Book

by

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 1 Pie

1 (9 or 10-inch) Baked Pastry
Shell or Graham Crumb Crust
6 Egg yolks
2 cn (14oz each) Sweetened,
Condensed milk
1 (8oz) bottle lime juice
Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 325F. In large mixer bowl, beat egg yolks with
sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and food colouring if desired.
Pour into prepared pastry shell; bake 40 minutes. Cool. Chill. Top
with whipped cream. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

Note: If using frozen packaged pie shell or 6oz packaged graham
cracker crumb pie crust, use 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 3 egg
yolks and 1/2 cup lime juice. Bake 30 minutes. Proceed as above.
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 20:10:59 Pdt

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Original Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

Jessup gave this recipe to
My mother in 1948. I have
Eaten this pie so many
Times I cannot count them.
It is always a delight!

FILLING 4 eggs 1 ea 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk 4-6 Tblspns
sugar 1/2 cup Key Lime juice fresh squeezed 1/3 tspn cream of tartar
1 9inch graham cracker crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Seperate the egg whites from the
yolks. Beat the yolks until thick & light in color, add the condensed
milk while mixing slowly. Add 1/2 of the lime juice & continmue
mixing slowly. Add the cream of tartar, and mix slowly for 3 minutes,
then add the remaining lime juice. Continue to mix for another minute.

Pour this mixture into the prepared Graham cracker crust. Bake for
12-15 minutes or until the center is dry & not sticky. Freeze for 3
hours before topping with the merigue.

MERINGUE Beat the egg whites and the sugar in the top of a double
boiler. Stir frequently at 110 degrees F. beat at high speed un til
peaks are formed that stay in place. Top the frozen pie & serve.
Serves 8

Posted By: Don Houston 8/92 REPOSTED BY: Jim Bodle 11/98

This recipes for "original" key-lime pie is from a genuine "Conch"
descended from a true old "Conch" family, the Jessup family. Mrs.
Marie

From: Jim Bodle Date: 24 Nov 98

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Or 2 limes
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened
Condensed milk (NOT
Evaporated mili!)
1 (6-oz ) can frozen limeade
Concentrate, thawed,
Undiluted
2 c Heavy cream
1 (6-oz ) prepared graham
Cracker crust

This 1st step is optional: Grate enough zest from lime to equal 1 1/2
teaspoons of lime zest. If you don't like lime zest, skip it.

Squeeze at least 3 whole tablespoons fresh lime juice from the lime.

In a large bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk, limeade concentrate
and lime juice.

In a medium bowl, on highest speed, beat 1 1/2 cups heavy cream until
soft yet billowy peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into
condensed-milk-lime juice mixture.

Pour into graham cracker crust. Freeze about 2 hours. Cover with
plastic wrap and freeze overnight.

To serve, let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes. Beat the
remaining heavy cream, spread over the pie and serve to your smiling
guests.

Per serving: 500 calories, 6 g protein, 53 g carbohydrate, 32 g fat,
1 g fiber, 98 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium. but don't tell anybody.
From: Pete & Carla Lan >date: Monday, June 14, 1999
3:01 Pm MM by Helen Peagram

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

8 oz Nonfat PHILADELPHIA brand
Cream cheese, softened
1 ts Grated lime zest (optional)
1/3 c Fresh lime juice, about 3
Limes
Sugar substitute to equal
1/4 c Sweetener
1 Container (8 oz.) reduced
Fat COOL WHIP
1 Prepared NABISCO
Honey-graham cracker crust

Beat together cream cheese and optional lime zest, and sugar
substitute with electric mixer on medium speed in large bowl until
fluffy, maybe 5-6 minutes. Gently fold in COOL WHIP. Spoon mixture
into the graham cracker crust. Chill at least 4 hours until serving.

184 calories, 12 g. fat, (0 g. saturated), 5 g protein, 17 g
carbohydrates, 0 g fiber. 270 mg. sodium, 5 mg cholesterol. From:
Pete & Carla Lan >date: Monday, June 14, 1999 3:01 Pm
MM by Helen Peagram

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

1 tb Plain gelatin
1 c Sugar
1/4/ ts salt
4 Eggs separated
1/2 c Key Lime juice, strained
1/2 c Water
1 ts Grated Key Lime peel
1 c Heavy cream whipped
1 9-inch baked graham cracker
Crust

Mix the gelatin, half of the sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Beat the
egg yolks in a separate bowl. Add the Key Lime juice and water to the
egg yolks. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the gelatin mixture
saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring, just until mixture comes to a
boil. Remove from heat and blend in the grated peel. Chill, blending
often, until mixture is thick when dropped by spoon. Beat the egg
whites until soft peeks form. Add the remaining sugar and beat until
stiff. Fold into the gelatin mixture. Fold in the whipped cream. Pour
into the baked graham cracker crust and refrigerate until firm.
Garnish with lime slice. (YUM!)

Thanks to: The Web Diner

P.S. I know there are a zillion variations of Key Lime Pie, I love
all of them! The best Key Lime Pie is found only in Florida, makes
looking forward to the vacation even better!

Trish

From: Trish > Date: Sunday, September 26, 1999
10:20 MM by Helen Peagram

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Graham cracker pie crust
1 cn Eaglebrand
3/4 c Sour cream
3/4 c Key Lime juice
Zest (grated) from one lime
Whipped cream for topping

Mix eaglebrand, sour cream, juice, and zest...I sometimes add 1 drop
of green food coloring......Pour into pie crust. Bak approx. 20
minutes at 350 or until bubbles burst on top....do not brown. Chill.
Top w/whipped cream....ENJOY!!!

>date: Tuesday, September 28,
1999 12:20 MM by Helen Peagram

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Bars
Categories: Bars
Yield: 1 Servings

Crust
1 c Butter
1/2 c Confectioners' sugar
2 c Flour
Filling
4 Eggs -- beaten
2 c Sugar
6 tb Key lime juice
4 tb Flour
1 pn Salt
1 ts Baking powder
Confectioners' sugar

Crust: Mix all ingredients and press into a 13x9" baking pan. Bake at
350 degrees for 20 min. Watch carefully. beat together the eggs,
sugar and lime juice. Add the flour, salt and baking powder. Mix and
pour on top of the crust. Bake 25 min. more. Sprinkle the top with
confectioners' sugar and cut into bars.

Recipe By :Linda Zylman

From: "Minnie" : Thursday, July 05, 2001
6:08 Pm MM BY H PEAGRAM

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Key Lime Pie
Categories: Pies
Yield: 4 Servings

1 9-inch prepared NABISCO
Honey graham cracker crust
1 3/4 cn Sweetened Condensed Milk
(NOT evaporated
Milk)
1/2 c Sour cream
6 oz Nellie & Joe's or any other
Key Lime Juice
1 tb Lime Zest

Preparation:

Whip all ingredients together and pour into pie shell. Bake in a
preheated 350 degree oven for approximately five minutes or until
tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface. DO NOT BROWN! chill and
serve with a slice of lime and freshly whipped cream. 8 slices.

From: The Old Bay Restaurant, New Brunswick, New Jersey From: Trish
> Date: Monday, May 31, 1999 12:44 Am MM by
Helen Peagram

MMMMM

m...

Key Lime Pie sf[_9_] General Cooking 16 22-06-2010 08:23 PM
Lime Turkdelight General Cooking 2 10-07-2005 09:28 PM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General Cooking 10 31-12-2004 01:25 AM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General 10 31-12-2004 01:25 AM
Key Lime Pie Kim Grauballe Recipes (moderated) 0 29-02-2004 05:17 PM