Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Golden syrup

On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18 for
a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source in
North America?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce wrote:
> On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
> Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
> crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18 for
> a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source in
> North America?

Thanks to all those who provided information on this topic
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"You've turned into your dad the day you put aside a thin piece of wood
specifically to stir paint with"
Posted to rec.food.baking
RsH RsH is offline

Here in Toronto I find it in the Dominion and Loblaw supermarkets,
around the area where they have maple syrup. Its in almost every one
of these supermarkets in the central North York area. Try the same
supermarket chains in Montreal!

RsH

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:41:06 +0000, Bruce
> wrote:

>On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
>Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
>crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18 for
>a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source in
>North America?

Posted to rec.food.baking

RsH wrote on 23 Dec 2006 in rec.food.baking

> Here in Toronto I find it in the Dominion and Loblaw supermarkets,
> around the area where they have maple syrup. Its in almost every one
> of these supermarkets in the central North York area. Try the same
> supermarket chains in Montreal!
>
> RsH
>
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:41:06 +0000, Bruce
> > wrote:
>
> >On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
> >Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
> >crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18
> >for a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source
> >in North America?

If she has friends or relatives living in the more 'English' part of Canada
it is found in most grocery store chains across the country...I live in
Manitoba and can find it in IGA, Safeway and the Loblaw chains.
Posted to rec.food.baking

As mentioned elsewhere, Tate & Lyle Golden syrup is easily found here in the
UK, probably about $2 for a pound can. We also can buy McVities Hob Nob
biscuits in most supermarkets.
I would suggest if you have any friends visiting UK that you get them to
take some back for you. Or, if you want, I can FedEx them to you, but that
will defeat the object of cost I would have thought?
Bob London UK