Old 22-12-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Golden syrup

On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18 for
a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source in
North America?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Old 23-12-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce wrote:
On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18 for
a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source in
North America?

Thanks to all those who provided information on this topic
Old 23-12-2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.baking
RsH RsH is offline

Here in Toronto I find it in the Dominion and Loblaw supermarkets,
around the area where they have maple syrup. Its in almost every one
of these supermarkets in the central North York area. Try the same
supermarket chains in Montreal!

RsH

Old 24-12-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.food.baking

RsH wrote on 23 Dec 2006 in rec.food.baking

wrote:

On another email list someone from Montreal is asking for a source of
Tate & Lyle Golden syrup - she wants to make "Hob Nobs", a sort of
crunchy oatmeal biscuit. She has found one in the U.S. but it is $18
for a 1 lb. can. Does anyone know of another more reasonable source
in North America?

If she has friends or relatives living in the more 'English' part of Canada
it is found in most grocery store chains across the country...I live in
Manitoba and can find it in IGA, Safeway and the Loblaw chains.
Old 29-12-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.baking

As mentioned elsewhere, Tate & Lyle Golden syrup is easily found here in the
UK, probably about $2 for a pound can. We also can buy McVities Hob Nob
biscuits in most supermarkets.
I would suggest if you have any friends visiting UK that you get them to
take some back for you. Or, if you want, I can FedEx them to you, but that
will defeat the object of cost I would have thought?
Bob London UK