Old 18-12-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default OT: Tombs in Stronsay My first no knead bread attempt

PeterL wrote:
So, not much information is about to find out *why* it was built, but
having the sun strike the back wall........... during the solstice....
where's the alter?

No altar as such. There are many theories as to why it was built. You
may find Sigurd Towrie's website www.orkneyjar.com of some interest,
especially page www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/acoustics.htm
And Golgotha monastery on Papa Stronsay is not the first, see my website
for links.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Old 18-12-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Damper, kneading and who's a real Peter WAS: My first no knead bread attempt

"Bob (this one)" wrote in
:

PeterL wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote in

Thanks for confirming that you find reading different information
confusing.

Poor Peter, posts getting more strident and more
disjunctive. Edge of panic, note of trapped despair that
must...Must...MUST be answered no matter how much of a non
sequitur they offer. Edit to make shabby little points...

Whatever he's drinking........ I don't want any, thanks.

But your confusing the radically different
types of breads based on *one* characteristic shows your
ineptitude.

*One* characteristic.

"No knead Bread"

You know... About that "no-knead" thing and damper. I asked
some of your friends about that and I'm afraid I have some
bad news for you. Damper *isn't* a no-knead bread. Some of
your friends don't even think it's a proper bread, but all
of them knead. It's ok, Peter, we all make blunders like
that. Well, let me correct myself, I said *all* but I really
meant *you.*

You asked "some of my friends"?? Please supply names of so-called friends.
Otherwise you're nothing but a blustering blowhard bullshit artist.

All my friends wouldn't know you from a bar of soap.

And seeing your little tanty here, most wouldn't **** on you if you were on
fire.

You can't quite grasp that concept, can you?

LOL See what I mean? Poor Peter thinks that a "black" car
and a "black " soybean are comparable enough to introduce
either one in a discussion of the other when talking about
upholstery.

Maybe it's not drink??? Maybe it's drugs??

And to try to slough off other examples of the
same sort of confused and ignorant parallelity shows you for
the airbag you are.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Talk about PKB!!!

LOL So, Peter, are muffins to be included in the "no-knead
bread" category? Popovers? Banana bread? Funny how you avoid
including them in the same category, sloughing off other
examples. Forgive me, I missed your "other examples."

I'll say again......... Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

I'll say again........ Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

Bread being something made with flour and water and a few additives.

Not bananas.

damper is a *bread* Pastorio....... get your head out of your arse and
acknowledge the fact.

and a very good alternative to anyone who is either out camping, or
doesn't want to wait a ridiculous 24 hours for a bloody single loaf
of bread!!

But not muffins? Not banana bread?

You're being a dickhead again.

Waiting a "ridiculous" 24 hours is what a very large number
of people do for bread.

Well, you're an idiot.

Yeah, it's ok to do for an experiment..... totally impractical in everyday
life.

Your limited attention span and
understanding seem to preclude your ever having a piece of
good starter bread unless an adult makes it for you.

That you seem to think that one is an equal replacement for
the other is the crux of your depressingly ignorant bleatings.

One has to wonder at your childish rantings......... did you get a bad
batch of moonshine up on your mountain, redneck?

[Snip a *huge* sign of pathetic Pastorios obsession.....]

Do you simply not know what kneading is?

I certainly do.

And as is the case, there are quite a few recipes for damper that *don't*
require kneading.

You're just too blinkered, and too pig ugly stupid to look past your own
little agenda.

You're the 'self proclaimed' "bread man" of the newsgroups..... BFD!!!!

Get your head out of your arse, pastorio, and look at the *whole* world.
Your pathetic little corner is not the be all to end all.

Are you saying it's the *only* topic to be discussed in this thread?

Threads evolve, they change.

Of course they do. And when they're changed by the
undereducated and underinformed,

ROFLMAO!!!!

I'm sure quite a few of your fellow newsgroupers would just *love* to hear
this!!

You're nothing but a self inflated pompous ass.

they end up talking this
kind of nonsense about no-think "bread on a stick"

Oh really?? Please post *who* posted about "bread on a stick".

I'm sure they'd love to be called "undereducated and underinformed" by some
redneck hillbilly such as yourself.

that
still needs to be kneaded, when the subject is long-rise,
ultra-hydrated, yeasted, steam-baked, heavy-crusted,
large-bubbled, soft-crumbed European-style bread.

BFD.

Threads evolve, they change. Get used to it moron, or ask to become rfc
moderator, then everyone will have to talk about what *you* want.

****ing dickehead that you are.

If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Right. Banish me. Crushed, I tell you. Crushed.

I said "If you don't like it, go elsewhere".

Bit of a crybaby, are you?

Ewwwww, they're going to "banish" me!! Ewwww!!

You're an idiot.

Your pathetic little whining is not going to stop it happening.

LOL But there will always be those shallow drinkers of the
Pierian Spring like you who think that bread is just bread
and meat is just meat and noodles are just noodles and any
one is as good as any other...

And there will always be pedantic little assholes like you that stand on
your little soapbox, beat your puny chest, and cry to the world that the
rest of the population are heathens for not conforming to your way of life.

Build a bridge and get over it ******.

A recipe I'm sure you'll love, even though it calls for
kneading, like all other damper recipes:

Really?? The following proves you to be a liar.

http://www.abc.net.au/northtas/stories/s512810.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/farnorth/stories/s1599225.htm

And here's one 'no-knead-damper/bread' mix to put on a stick.....

http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/bu...-games/recipe-
damper.html

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=87252

And the list goes on.

It's 'horses for courses' you hillbilly ******.

Oh, BTW, I noticed your very childish change of the subject line. Just
thought I'd leave it in to show people what a truly pathetic little person
you really are.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Old 18-12-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Irish Soda Vs. Damper Bread (Was Damper, kneading and who's a real Peter)

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message
[snip]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...bread_5272.sht
ml
"Turn out on to a clean surface and knead briefly until
smooth. Shape into a 25cm/10in round and place in the centre
of a large, double-thickness sheet of oiled extra-thick foil."

http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/food/damper.php
"It was originally made with flour and water and a good
pinch of salt, kneaded, shaped into a round, and baked in
the ashes of the campfire or open fireplace."
[...]
"Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape
into a round, put on a greased oven tray."

[snip]

So what's the difference between Irish Soda bread and Damper? I'm
remembering a couple boys scout campouts where we did something
similar (only Reynolds helped keep the bread ash-free).

The Ranger

Old 18-12-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
Bruce wrote in news:5NqdnZ9V4p_-
:

PeterL wrote:
So, not much information is about to find out *why* it was built, but
having the sun strike the back wall........... during the

solstice....
where's the alter?

No altar as such. There are many theories as to why it was built. You
may find Sigurd Towrie's website www.orkneyjar.com of some interest,
especially page www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/acoustics.htm

Thanks, will check it out when I have a couple of spare hours!!!

And Golgotha monastery on Papa Stronsay is not the first, see my

website
for links.

Yep, been looking at the photos of the digs, especially where they
unearthed the 'alter'.

Oh, and the 'graves'.

I find it *intensely* interesting that there is a pub in Reykjavik,
Iceland, named after a guy (Gaukur) who was killed by the ancestor of a
dude who carved some graffiti in Maeshowes' walls 200 years after his
ancestors death!! *And* with the axe that belonged to the defeated
Gaukur!!

BTW, where abouts in the tomb is the rune graffiti??

The Viking graffiti covers the interior walls of Maeshowe. More runic
graffiti is on a standing stone at Brodgar
(And it's "altar" not "alter" g)

Old 18-12-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" wrote in news:12odfhlgu51n265
@corp.supernews.com:

So what's the difference between Irish Soda bread and Damper? I'm
remembering a couple boys scout campouts where we did something
similar (only Reynolds helped keep the bread ash-free).

Not much by the looks of it. Some require a couple of seconds "kneading",
some none at all.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I'm going to try it out in the next day
or so.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irresis...ad/Detail.aspx

Old 19-12-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote in message
I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.

I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the best crust
results... YMMV, though. Be sure to add currents or raisins to make
it more morning than dinner bread.

It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
Stew...

The Ranger

Old 19-12-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" wrote in news:12oecgtt9sdroc2
@corp.supernews.com:

PeterL wrote in message
I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.

I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the best crust
results... YMMV, though.

Lid on, or off, when it's in the oven? Either way, I'll use mine for the
plain loaf.

Be sure to add currents or raisins to make
it more morning than dinner bread.

Yep, was going to make one of them too :-)

It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
Stew...

Now *that* will definitely have to wait for winter!!

Old 19-12-2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in

:
PeterL wrote in message

I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.

I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the
best crust results... YMMV, though.

Lid on, or off, when it's in the oven? Either way, I'll use
mine for the plain loaf.

On.

It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
Stew...

Now *that* will definitely have to wait for winter!!

For Clan Ranger, it's an anytime, any-weather stew.

The Ranger

Old 19-12-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" wrote in
:

PeterL wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in

:
PeterL wrote in message

I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.

I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the
best crust results... YMMV, though.

Lid on, or off, when it's in the oven? Either way, I'll use
mine for the plain loaf.

On.

Cool, thanks.

It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
Stew...

You'll have to post the recipe, I Googled for Charlies, but couldn't
find anything.

Now *that* will definitely have to wait for winter!!

For Clan Ranger, it's an anytime, any-weather stew.

You're in CA aren't you?

Old 19-12-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote in
:

PeterL wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote in

You asked "some of my friends"?? Please supply names of so-called friends.
Otherwise you're nothing but a blustering blowhard bullshit artist.

All my friends wouldn't know you from a bar of soap.

And seeing your little tanty here, most wouldn't **** on you if you were on
fire.

Peter, you literalist ****ing nitwit, that was hyperbolic
and referred to all the sites from Australia I posted below,
every one of which indicated that damper was a *kneaded*
breadlike baked good. Substantial recipes that gave good
instructions, unlike the bottom-feeder residue you trolled up.

I'll say again......... Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

I'll say again........ Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

Bread being something made with flour and water and a few additives.

Not bananas.

See, Peter. Clearly you, unique among all living humans,
have never heard of banana bread. It exists. And you look
more foolish with each passing post. If you'd like to stay
in this discourse, for god's sake, man, at least do a little
googling so you act less like a spurned suitor and more like
someone actually holding his own.

damper is a *bread* Pastorio....... get your head out of your arse and
acknowledge the fact.

LOL You say so, but your Aussie compatriots dispute you.
Take it up with them. Oh, wait. You deleted *all* those
references.

and a very good alternative to anyone who is either out camping, or
doesn't want to wait a ridiculous 24 hours for a bloody single loaf
of bread!!

But not muffins? Not banana bread?

You're being a dickhead again.

So, still no answer.

Waiting a "ridiculous" 24 hours is what a very large number
of people do for bread.

Well, you're an idiot.

Yeah, it's ok to do for an experiment..... totally impractical in everyday
life.

LOL Thousands and thousands of people are doing it rather
easily. My oldest daughter does it every third day. Assemble
ingredients in the morning before going to work, bake it
tomorrow for dinner. Totally impractical... moron.

You are so tightly caught up in your belief that if you do
it or if you think it, it's right because of that fact. Bwah...

Your limited attention span and
understanding seem to preclude your ever having a piece of
good starter bread unless an adult makes it for you.

That you seem to think that one is an equal replacement for
the other is the crux of your depressingly ignorant bleatings.

One has to wonder at your childish rantings......... did you get a bad
batch of moonshine up on your mountain, redneck.

So nothing substantive. Still. Again.

[Snip a *huge* sign of pathetic Pastorios obsession.....]

LOLOLOLOL

Peter deletes a very big bunch of Australian references that
say that damper is *not* a no-knead bread.

Bwahahahahahahahaha..

Proof - citations from reliable sources - of his empty
absurdity is "a *huge* sign of my obsession."

Hee, hee, hee...

Do you simply not know what kneading is?

I certainly do.

And as is the case, there are quite a few recipes for damper that *don't*
require kneading.

The truly funny part of it is that I gave you my search
references and the web sites I checked at random. I said *at
random* NOT ONE said not to knead it. NOT ONE called it a
no-knead bread.

NOT ONE. And not one of the ones from the terrible recipes
you posted referred to it that way. Why is that, I wonder?
No one else think it's no-knead? NOT ONE?

Are you saying it's the *only* topic to be discussed in this thread?

Threads evolve, they change.

Of course they do. And when they're changed by the
undereducated and underinformed,

ROFLMAO!!!!

I'm sure quite a few of your fellow newsgroupers would just *love* to hear
this!!

You're nothing but a self inflated pompous ass.

But, Peter, it's all about you. Everything's about you. No
one else is confused about who's uninformed.

they end up talking this
kind of nonsense about no-think "bread on a stick"

Oh really?? Please post *who* posted about "bread on a stick".

LOL Go back upthread a bit, Peter. You do know how to do
that...?

I'm sure they'd love to be called "undereducated and underinformed" by some
redneck hillbilly such as yourself.

LOL My fellow newsgroupers don't go off on these
self-convicting, ignorance-demonstrating binges like you
have. And if they do, I help them along to greater clarity
of vision, just like with you. LOL

that
still needs to be kneaded, when the subject is long-rise,
ultra-hydrated, yeasted, steam-baked, heavy-crusted,
large-bubbled, soft-crumbed European-style bread.

BFD.

LOL Peter tries to throw it over his shoulder when he's
dead wrong. Good tactic.

Threads evolve, they change. Get used to it moron, or ask to become rfc
moderator, then everyone will have to talk about what *you* want.

****ing dickehead that you are.

If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Right. Banish me. Crushed, I tell you. Crushed.

I said "If you don't like it, go elsewhere".

Bit of a crybaby, are you?

Ewwwww, they're going to "banish" me!! Ewwww!!

Peter, can you only see the world in your panicky, literal
terms? Is everything so desperately urgent in your tiny
world? Is your being absolutely correct important enough for
you to keep this bagatelle going in the face of nothing
substantive supporting you?

You're an idiot.

Your pathetic little whining is not going to stop it happening.

LOL But there will always be those shallow drinkers of the
Pierian Spring like you who think that bread is just bread
and meat is just meat and noodles are just noodles and any
one is as good as any other...

And there will always be pedantic little assholes like you that stand on
your little soapbox, beat your puny chest, and cry to the world that the
rest of the population are heathens for not conforming to your way of life.

Build a bridge and get over it ******.

See, you have the ability not to be a literalist. At least I
assume you know that this is nothing like the truth. Pity
you don't have the capacity to get past your own crabbed ego.

A recipe I'm sure you'll love, even though it calls for
kneading, like all other damper recipes:

Really?? The following proves you to be a liar.

Peter, Peter, Peter... May I call you Peter...?

I'm sorry about these recipes you've culled up here. Not
because they show that damper is a no-knead bread - they
don't do that - but because they're so terribly
non-culinary. So terribly amateurish in conception and
execution. Not really good enough to cook from with any
assurance of success. Vague terms, vague directions, vague
descriptions of desired results. Desperate attempts to
salvage what little remains of your self-respect.

http://www.abc.net.au/northtas/stories/s512810.htm

So how much water in "Don's Damper?" He doesn't say, so we
can't know what texture or hydration level would be
"correct." He just wants "a moulded lump in the middle of
the pot" whatever that could be. Getting the raw ingredients
to a "a moulded lump in the middle of the pot" means it
needs to be manipulated into whatever that shape might be.
That's basic kneading. You think this is a good recipe?

http://www.abc.net.au/farnorth/stories/s1599225.htm

"Aunty Valda Jackson" gives a quantity of liquid and asks us
to "Mix ingredients together in bowl until dough has a thick
consistency." Looking pretty good there for a second until
we get to "Aunty Val recommends not cutting damper with a
knife as it may cause damper to turn doughy." I looked in
several culinary references to find "a thick consistency"
and these skimpy books didn't have any reference to it. I'm
just wondering how to get all that flour wet without strong
mixing... which we all know is called kneading. You think
this is a good recipe?

And here's one 'no-knead-damper/bread' mix to put on a stick.....

http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/bu...pe-damper.html

The one to wrap around a stick calls for the cook to "Shape
dough into four banana-shaped pieces and mould onto the end
of sticks." For someone like you who clearly knows nothing
about baking, there should be a clue there that the dough is
being manipulated. Being handled and shaped. Being moved
into a specific shape. That's called kneading. It's handling
the dough that will alter the gluten structure so it will
stay on the stick. That's the effect of kneading. You think
this is a good recipe?

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=87252

This one is particularly brilliant. It wants us to "Silf the
flour and salt into a bowl, add sufficient milk to make a
manageable dough. Bake on a greased and floured baking sheet
25-30 minutes at 220deg C (440F). Baste with milk during
cooking. Serve with butter." You think this is a good recipe?

And the list goes on.

Perhaps it does. But I wouldn't expect you to notice that
none of the recipes explains in any detail what to actually
do, step-by-step. The simple fact is that the recipes you've
posted aren't at all complete. Not one is. They're the work
of amateurs as rank as you and, finally, as off-the-mark as
your infantile ravings..

It's 'horses for courses' you hillbilly ******.

Oh, BTW, I noticed your very childish change of the subject line. Just
thought I'd leave it in to show people what a truly pathetic little person
you really are.

LOL My goodness, Peter, you're such a big, bold man with
such wonderful breading. Um, breeding.

Learn about baked goods. We'll all wait.

No, seriously...

Pastorio
Old 19-12-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

The Ranger wrote:
[...]

Irish soda bread will generally have many more ingredients
and a flavor other than merely that of cooked flour. The
intent was to be a good bit more sophisticated than damper,
something more suitable to the dinner table. The best was
airy and biscuit-like to my taste.

Here's a good recipe for it:
http://ballina.mayo-ireland.ie/Brigown/SodaBrd.htm
Soda Bread from Marjorie's Kitchen

(Makes 1 large or 2 small loaves)

574g/ 4 cups (1.25 lbs. plain flour sieved)
1/2 teaspoon bread soda
15 fl oz (1/2 to 3/4 pt buttermilk) or sour milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
Small drop of fresh milk
1 rounded teaspoon Bextartar (raising agent)
25g/loz. sugar
1. Heat the pot/oven and grease with a little lard.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a basin and make a
well in the centre.
3. Pour in nearly all the milk and egg; gather in the
flour and mix to a loose dough, adding more milk if necessary.
4. With floured hands, knead lightly on a floured board
or table and flatten out. Cut a cross on top.
5. Place dough in pot/oven; cover with heated lid. Place
hot coals on top to give all round heat.
Alternatively bake in a greased round pyrex dish with lid,
pre-heat oven (4250F, 2200C or gas 7 for 40 minutes).
To keep the bread soft, wrap in a clean damp tea towel when
it is taken out of the oven.

Variations
Sultana Cake: Half-cup of sultanas are added to the dry
ingredients.
Treacle Soda Bread: Make as above, but 2 tablespoons of
black treacle (molasses) is heated with the milk and 1
tablespoon of sugar is added to the dry ingredients.
Brown: Make as above but use 1 lb. (4 cups) whole- wheat
flour and 2 cups (0.5 lb). plain white flour. A little more
milk is used to mix the dough.
Apple Cake: Place half the dough in pot/oven; add sliced
cooked apple and sweeten with sugar. Cover with remaining
dough. Press edges together; cover and bake in the same way.

The three-legged iron pot is the origin of the term to make
"Pot luck" In country districts it is used for roasting,
stewing and for making cakes and bread. In Counties Limerick
and Cork it is also called a Bastable oven, and the bread
made in it a "Bastable Cake". Glowing turf (peat) sods are
put on top when baking or roasting is being done to ensure
even heat. The pot can be raised or lowered by a chain, and
three short feet enable it to stand at the side of the hearth.
----------------------------

Another: http://breadnet.net/real-irish.html

This is more austere than almost all the ISB I had in
Ireland. Typically, there were inclusions of one sort or
another, a bit more fat for crumb, as above.
GRANNIE FOSTER'S "REAL" IRISH SODA BREAD!!
I've read so many recipes for Irish Soda Bread and I can't
believe the things they've done to the soda bread real Irish
people make and eat.
IRISH SODA BREAD
o 1 CUP SELF-RISING FLOUR
o 1/2 TSP. SALT
o 1 TSP. BAKING SODA
o 1 CUP BUTTERMILK
Mix all ingredients together. Turn out onto lightly floured
surface. Knead for approximately 3 minutes. Shape into an 8"
round. Using a floured knife, cute round into quarters.
Lightly flour a round griddle (or electric frying pan if no
round griddle) and place soda farls on griddle, preheated to
350F. Cook each side approximatley 5 minutes. Stand each
farrel on end for approx. 2 minutes to make sure inside is
cooked.

THIS IS REAL IRISH SODA BREAD.

Delicious warm with butter and jam or cut farls in half and
in half again and fry in bacon grease until brown and
crispy. Serve with fried eggs, bacon, sausages, ham,
whaterver, and enjoy.
Old 19-12-2006, 08:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" wrote in message

Hey Ranger How are you and the daughter units?)

Old 19-12-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in

:
[snip]
It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness
Stout Beef Stew...

You'll have to post the recipe, I Googled for Charlies, but
couldn't find anything.

Charlie Liam's Guiness Stout Beef Stew

INGREDIENTS:
2 lb. beef, cubed
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 lg onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups Guinness
2 cups carrot, chopped
2 cups potatoes, quartered
2 Bay leaves
1 "branch" Rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper. Dredge
beef and pat excess flour off. Heat oil in a deep skillet or Dutch
oven over medium-high heat.

Add the beef, browning on all sides; do not add complete 2-lb at
once -- stage for optimal browning. Set beef aside to "rest." Add
the onions; sautée. Add garlic; sautée. Add a small amount of water
to pan with rosemary and bay leaves. Add carrots and potatoes. Mix
in stout and beef (don't forget the juices from the beef!) Cover,
reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring
occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Serve with
heavy peasant bread or sour dough.

The Ranger