FoodBanter.com

-   -   My first no knead bread attempt (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/109546-my-first-no-knead.html)

Mary Fisher 15-12-2006 01:43 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Mary Fisher wrote:
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>>
>>> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and
>>> quiet - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste
>>> but it suits us down to the ground. Looking forwards to the solstice
>>> next week - the Maeshowe webcam is running at
>>> <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

>> I hope I remember to look at the right time!

> More Orcadian webcams at
> <http://www.buyorkney.com/interactive/webcams/>

Thank you - but so many cars! It's not what I'd have expected ...

We'd have loved to live on such an island but when we were young we had no
money and now that we're old we need the (very) local health care, which has
treated us excellently in the last few years.

<sigh> You can't have everything ... :-(

Spouse once applied for a job in New Zealand but he didn't get it, I think
that country would have suited us - and we it - greatly. Still, no point in
regretting the past, we must enjoy today and rejoice for those who do what
we'd have liked :-)

Mary

ravenlynne[_1_] 15-12-2006 01:56 PM

Bruce wrote:
> PeterL wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it
> suits us down to the ground. Looking forwards to the solstice next week
> - the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

I am so insanely jealous of you that I can't stand it. I'm trying to
convince my husband that he, too, wants to move to Scotland (Skye) after
the kids are grown. It's an uphill battle, but I'll win!

--

Real witches don't float so good.
- The Dresden Files

ravenlynne[_1_] 15-12-2006 01:57 PM

http://tinyurl.com/vs4l4

>> Looking forwards to the solstice next week
>> - the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

> LOL!! Lots of black there!!
>
> But....... why are the cameras in the tomb facing out?

Tasmania looks beautiful from the travel programs I've seen. <pouts
that I've only been to Japan. And Mexico.>

ravenlynne[_1_] 15-12-2006 01:58 PM

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

>>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>>>

>>> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the right??
>>>
>>> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

>> Papa, in italian, means Pope.

> and in Germany it means Daddy!

Japan too...slang. The first phrase I learned in Japanese was "Papa wa
dadi desu ka." (Who's your daddy)...I hung around too many firefighters.

Mary Fisher 15-12-2006 02:11 PM

"Ravenlynne" > wrote in message

>>> Looking forwards to the solstice next week - the Maeshowe webcam is
>>> running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

>> LOL!! Lots of black there!!
>>
>> But....... why are the cameras in the tomb facing out?

If you don't know you needn't look :-)

Mary

Bob (this one) 15-12-2006 06:25 PM

Reg wrote:
> barry wrote:
>
>> "James L. Davidson" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Has anyone actually Pyrex to bake this with this high heat. (450
>>> degrees) It seems that the wet dough would crack the Pyrex.
>>> I used a 2qt Crueset and it seems too small.

>> I found a site on the web that stated that the company that makes
>> Pyrex has changed the formulation. The old stuff was pretty safe when
>> you put cold into a hot Pyrex dish, but the new stuff is supposedly
>> dangerous and may shatter. I don't know any more about this, and I
>> don't use Pyrex for bread baking, but if you do, you should check it out.

> I had a pyrex dish shatter from thermal shock once. It's \
> definitely something to be aware of.
>
> In this case though, cooking bread in it at 450 F won't
> be a problem. They're designed for that temp and the
> wet dough isn't a factor.

I've done it several times in a Visions 5L pot. No problems.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 15-12-2006 06:29 PM

PeterL wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:12nujpuprv3sk42
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote

>>> Sorta.........
>>>
>>> chacun � son go�t

>> Merci bien, Pierre. Il etait une plaisanterie. Comment
>> dites-vous "whoosh" en Australie?

> Whatever.

So, no sense of humor, either. No understanding of word
play. Great.

>>> Which is why they are good for when you're out camping etc.

>> Of course. But that wasn't the subject.
>>

> No. It was 'no knead bread'........ which is what damper is.

Peter, the differences between a baking powder bread and a
yeast bread are large. That you seem to be unable to
recognize them means you would do better to discuss
Australian slang and the Southern Cross while the rest of us
talk about food. Bran muffins are "no-knead bread" too.
Exactly the same, right?

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 15-12-2006 06:30 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> Ravenlynne > wrote in news:dmCfh.77431$W66.19664
>>> @newsfe15.lga:

>>> *Two* days to make one loaf???!!!
>>> I'd rather do a light knead and get the job done ASAP :-)

>> Chacun a son dough (sorta).
>>

> LOL

Thanks.

When you get a minute, explain that to PeterL...

Pastorio

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 06:30 PM

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>>> Bruce > wrote in
>>> :

>>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

>> Pah! He moved there so he could hide his stash of Bakewell
>> Puddings!!!!!
>>

> OK, I give up. What're they?

WEll I will leave it to Bruce to tell you except to say they are the most
mouth watering pastry filled with almonds and eggs and.....................
Ohhhhh delicious things:))

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 06:30 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Mary Fisher" > wrote in message
t...

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>

>>> Oh well, that is a beautiful area too:)) I have had many a happy
>>> holiday there eating Bakewell tart:)))))

>> Shirley a Bakewell Pudding <g>

> Yes! And I still haven't managed to make one like those I've enjoyed in
> Castleton :-(

That's not like you Mary <G>

aem 15-12-2006 06:42 PM

PeterL wrote:

> Sounds like Tasmania, where I will eventually move to.
>
> Somewhere around the Strahan (sounds like Strawn)
> area.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/vs4l4

We spent a week in Tasmania a few years ago and loved it. In addition
to the Gordon River and associated fun there are fantastic sand dunes
not that far out of Strahan. Taz is fun to drive around in part
because the geography/geology/ecology can change dramatically twice or
more on one day trip. Many people have personality characteristics
reminiscent of Alaskans -- proudly independent and highly aware of
their natural surroundings. -aem

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 07:34 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Chacun a son dough (sorta).
>>>

>> LOL

> Thanks.
>
> When you get a minute, explain that to PeterL...

Oh dear:(

Bruce[_4_] 15-12-2006 08:09 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> WEll I will leave it to Bruce to tell you except to say they are the most
> mouth watering pastry filled with almonds and eggs and.....................
> Ohhhhh delicious things:))

Bakewell in Derbyshire is home to the Bakewell Pudding. Allegedly first
made by mistake in the mid 19th century when a cook in the Rutland Hotel
got confused when making a jam tart by putting the fruit straight onto
the pastry base of a tart, rather than on the top of the butter, egg and
sugar 'filling'. Several shops in the village claim that they sell the
"only original version" from a "secret recipe" handed down from
generation to generation etc.

Ingredients
8oz butter
1 egg and 7 egg yolks
5oz castor sugar
1oz ground almonds
Strawberry (or raspberry) jam

Method
Line oval pie dish or plate at least one and a half inches deep with
puff pastry and spread thickly with the jam. Melt the butter in a double
saucepan or a basin over simmering water adding the eggs and sugar. Stir
until a custard is formed, add the almonds and pour it into the pastry.
Cook in an oven at 180ºC for 45 minutes turning the heat down after 20
minutes or so.

There are lots of other, very similar recipes, available on the internet.
Bakewell, along with many other Derbyshire villages, also has a
traditional annual "well dressing" or "well flowering" - see photograph
at <http://www.derbyshire-photographs.co.uk/bakewell210026.html>
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 08:49 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> WEll I will leave it to Bruce to tell you except to say they are the most
>> mouth watering pastry filled with almonds and eggs
>> and..................... Ohhhhh delicious things:))

> Bakewell in Derbyshire is home to the Bakewell Pudding. Allegedly first
> made by mistake in the mid 19th century when a cook in the Rutland Hotel
> got confused when making a jam tart by putting the fruit straight onto the
> pastry base of a tart, rather than on the top of the butter, egg and sugar
> 'filling'. Several shops in the village claim that they sell the "only
> original version" from a "secret recipe" handed down from generation to
> generation etc.
>
> Ingredients
> 8oz butter
> 1 egg and 7 egg yolks
> 5oz castor sugar
> 1oz ground almonds
> Strawberry (or raspberry) jam
>
> Method
> Line oval pie dish or plate at least one and a half inches deep with puff
> pastry and spread thickly with the jam. Melt the butter in a double
> saucepan or a basin over simmering water adding the eggs and sugar. Stir
> until a custard is formed, add the almonds and pour it into the pastry.
> Cook in an oven at 180ºC for 45 minutes turning the heat down after 20
> minutes or so.
>
> There are lots of other, very similar recipes, available on the internet.
> Bakewell, along with many other Derbyshire villages, also has a
> traditional annual "well dressing" or "well flowering" - see photograph at
> <http://www.derbyshire-photographs.co.uk/bakewell210026.html>

Oh I loved to visit those:)) It is time I was going back to visit:))

ravenlynne[_1_] 15-12-2006 09:25 PM

Bruce wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> WEll I will leave it to Bruce to tell you except to say they are the
>> most mouth watering pastry filled with almonds and eggs
>> and..................... Ohhhhh delicious things:))

> Bakewell in Derbyshire is home to the Bakewell Pudding. Allegedly first
> made by mistake in the mid 19th century when a cook in the Rutland Hotel
> got confused when making a jam tart by putting the fruit straight onto
> the pastry base of a tart, rather than on the top of the butter, egg and
> sugar 'filling'. Several shops in the village claim that they sell the
> "only original version" from a "secret recipe" handed down from
> generation to generation etc.
>
> Ingredients
> 8oz butter
> 1 egg and 7 egg yolks
> 5oz castor sugar
> 1oz ground almonds
> Strawberry (or raspberry) jam
>
> Method
> Line oval pie dish or plate at least one and a half inches deep with
> puff pastry and spread thickly with the jam. Melt the butter in a double
> saucepan or a basin over simmering water adding the eggs and sugar. Stir
> until a custard is formed, add the almonds and pour it into the pastry.
> Cook in an oven at 180ºC for 45 minutes turning the heat down after 20
> minutes or so.
>
> There are lots of other, very similar recipes, available on the internet.
> Bakewell, along with many other Derbyshire villages, also has a
> traditional annual "well dressing" or "well flowering" - see photograph
> at <http://www.derbyshire-photographs.co.uk/bakewell210026.html>

That sounds GOOD.

--
"let he who hath never worn stone-washed jeans, cast the first stone."
- The Dresden Files

Miche 16-12-2006 09:53 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

In article >,
Bruce > wrote:

> Mary Fisher wrote:

> >> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

> > In ORKNEY???
> >
> > Mary

> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

Oh, an "incomer". ;)

> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
> grand tha' knows"

Yorkshire?

Miche (Kiwi)

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

Bruce[_4_] 16-12-2006 09:58 AM

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> Bruce > wrote:
>> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
>> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
>> grand tha' knows"

> Yorkshire?

Derbyshire - the gritty, Dark Peak bit, NOT the posh tourist-ridden
White Peak area <g>

Ophelia[_1_] 16-12-2006 10:02 AM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Miche wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
>>> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
>>> grand tha' knows"

>> Yorkshire?

> Derbyshire - the gritty, Dark Peak bit, NOT the posh tourist-ridden White
> Peak area <g>

Show off <G>

Bruce[_4_] 16-12-2006 12:24 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> Miche wrote:
>>> Yorkshire?

>> Derbyshire - the gritty, Dark Peak bit, NOT the posh tourist-ridden White
>> Peak area <g>

> Show off <G>

If you've got it, flaunt it! ;-)

Ophelia[_1_] 16-12-2006 01:17 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>> Derbyshire - the gritty, Dark Peak bit, NOT the posh tourist-ridden
>>> White Peak area <g>

>> Show off <G>

> If you've got it, flaunt it! ;-)

Woohooo boy:))) You GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, about that Bakewell Pud stash........................

Bruce[_4_] 16-12-2006 02:05 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> Woohooo boy:))) You GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Now, about that Bakewell Pud stash........................

Mmm, Bakewell Pudding. And Derbyshire Oatcakes. Not to mention Scottish
delicacies such as Cullen Skink, Clapshot, Cloutie Dumplings, Cranachan,
Bridies, Arbroath Toasties, Bannocks, Partan Bree, Stovies and, of
course, Haggis . Probably yet more reasons why, according to my weight,
I should be at least a foot taller than my present 6' 3"

Ophelia[_1_] 16-12-2006 02:05 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Woohooo boy:))) You GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> Now, about that Bakewell Pud stash........................

> Mmm, Bakewell Pudding. And Derbyshire Oatcakes. Not to mention Scottish
> delicacies such as Cullen Skink, Clapshot, Cloutie Dumplings, Cranachan,
> Bridies, Arbroath Toasties, Bannocks, Partan Bree, Stovies and, of course,
> Haggis . Probably yet more reasons why, according to my weight, I should
> be at least a foot taller than my present 6' 3"

Hehe IKWYM:) I rarely make any of those any more, for that very reason:))

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:16 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:12o5n5pp8pmcjf3
@corp.supernews.com:

>> No. It was 'no knead bread'........ which is what damper is.

> Peter, the differences between a baking powder bread and a
> yeast bread are large.

It is *bread* that you don't have to knead. Whether or not it uses
baking powder or yeast is for the pedants.

>That you seem to be unable to
> recognize them means you would do better to discuss
> Australian slang and the Southern Cross while the rest of us
> talk about food.

Bit of a pompous ass, aren't you?
So who died and made you NetCop/BreadCop?

>Bran muffins are "no-knead bread" too.
> Exactly the same, right?

Stop trying to be a dipshit.

Damper is a 'no-knead' *bread*.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:19 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"aem" > wrote in news:1166204533.234258.69420@
80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

> PeterL wrote:
>
>> Sounds like Tasmania, where I will eventually move to.
>>
>> Somewhere around the Strahan (sounds like Strawn)
>> area.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/vs4l4
>>

> We spent a week in Tasmania a few years ago and loved it. In addition
> to the Gordon River and associated fun there are fantastic sand dunes
> not that far out of Strahan. Taz is fun to drive around in part
> because the geography/geology/ecology can change dramatically twice or
> more on one day trip.

Yep, 2 hours from top to bottom, and from side to side, and the changes
are very striking.

I'm looking forward to the great range of local produce, the fishing
(both salt and freashwater) and the peace and quiet :-)

>Many people have personality characteristics
> reminiscent of Alaskans -- proudly independent and highly aware of
> their natural surroundings. -aem

Being compared to Alaskans?? I don't know if that's a good or bad
thing!!

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:23 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Ravenlynne > wrote in
:

> Japan too...slang. The first phrase I learned in Japanese was "Papa
> wa dadi desu ka." (Who's your daddy)...I hung around too many
> firefighters.

That can *only* be a good thing ;-P

But thanks for that phrase, I'm going to have to introduce it to the
Station House here :-)

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:28 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Mary Fisher" > wrote in news:45829f01$0$756
:

>>> LOL!! Lots of black there!!
>>>
>>> But....... why are the cameras in the tomb facing out?

> If you don't know you needn't look :-)

Lookin' for 'spookies' ??

C'mon........ enlighten us heathens!!

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:34 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Ravenlynne > wrote in news:XXwgh.12694$gj2.9679
@newsfe23.lga:

> Tasmania looks beautiful from the travel programs I've seen.

It certainly is when you get away from the cities. Although Hobart has
quite an interesting Heritage area in Salamanca.

But........ a city, is a city, is a city.

> <pouts
> that I've only been to Japan. And Mexico.>

Well...... you've been to one place I haven't!! Japan.

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:34 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Mary Fisher" > wrote in
t:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>
> Peter, could you mail me please? I have a question about Australia
> which is OT for this NG.
>
> Mary

Okie doke.

Bob (this one) 18-12-2006 03:41 AM

PeterL wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:12o5n5pp8pmcjf3
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>>> No. It was 'no knead bread'........ which is what damper is.

>> Peter, the differences between a baking powder bread and a
>> yeast bread are large.

> It is *bread* that you don't have to knead. Whether or not it uses
> baking powder or yeast is for the pedants.

<LOL> Nah. It's for people who make a distinction like, oh,
between a car and a truck. Or a blowhard caught up in his
own ignorance and, well, everyone else. People who can see
the differences, taste the differences and understand the
differences. Pretty much everybody around here.

The thread started with a *very specific* approach to bread
making. A long-rise yeast bread, you'll recall. You mocked
the 24 hours it takes and said you'd rather have damper.
That's like someone saying Boeuf Bourguignonne takes too
long, so I'll have a can of Dinty Moore stew.

Somehow it became about camping out and wrapping it on a
stick and campfires... and you.

>> That you seem to be unable to
>> recognize them means you would do better to discuss
>> Australian slang and the Southern Cross while the rest of us
>> talk about food.

> Bit of a pompous ass, aren't you?
> So who died and made you NetCop/BreadCop?

<LOL> You really are funny, however inadvertently.

You take it off-topic to a silly place, and when you get
called on it, you act like *all* no-knead breads are defined
by only that characteristic. I must defer to your depth of
culinary knowledge.

Bwah...

>> Bran muffins are "no-knead bread" too.
>> Exactly the same, right?

> Stop trying to be a dipshit.
>
> Damper is a 'no-knead' *bread*.

Damper is no-knead *quick* bread. Like virtually all quick
breads. And bran muffins. And applesauce bread. And banana
bread...

You're the one that brought up the extraneous category of
baking powder breads into a discussion of yeast breads. Like
saying
"Roast beef is good, but deep-fried pork is white."

Get over yourself. Or get an education.

Pastorio

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:43 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in
:

>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg
>>
>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>>

>> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the
>> right??
>>
>> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??
>>

> Papa Stronsay on the left, Stronsay on the right. Papa Stronsay is
> now home to the monastery being created by the Transalpine
> Redemptorists.

Have you tried their cheeses??

Might be a good investment opportunity there :-)

>The collection of houses around the harbour on Stronsay
> is Whitehall village which is where we live.

The nightlife is pretty quiet, hey? ;-)

> "Papa" in this context indicates a connection with a monk or priest.

Thanks. Probably better than Big Stronsay and Little Stronsay :-)

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:53 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in news:7-
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it
> suits us down to the ground. Looking forwards to the solstice next week
> - the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

What part of the tomb is the runic graffitti in?

PeterL 18-12-2006 04:20 AM

OT: The Vikings on Stronsay was My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in news:7-
:

> - the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

Looking at that site, I went to the 'About Maeshowe' page, and then clicked
on the link about the 'runes'.

http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/maeshowe/runes.html

Which gave the following information........

"At Maeshowe there are about 30 inscriptions, many of which are of the
style "Thorfinn wrote these runes". Some gave their father's name, or a
nickname, some are by women and one intriguing inscription says "these
runes were carved by the man most skilled in runes on the Western Ocean
with the axe that killed Gaukr Trandkill's son in the South of Iceland"
This rune carver may have been Thorhallr Asgrimssom, Captain of Earl
Rognvald Kali's ship when they returned in 1153 from the Crusades."

Further investigation brought this up.......

http://www.graemeiceland.blogspot.co...d_archive.html

http://tinyurl.com/yyz682

"Stong is particularly remarkable in that we know the names of people who
lived there. In the tenth century it had been the farm of Gaukur
Trandilsson, a farmer and warrior who seems to have managed a remarkably
prosperous life in what must have been a very comfortable farm house. A
mediaeval ballad tells of an affair between Gaukur and a woman in a
neighbouring farm, Steinastadir – neighbouring in Icelandic terms, miles
away in ours. The affair got out of hand, and Gaukur was killed in a duel
with Asgrimur Ellida-Grimsson, who was a relative of the woman at
Steinastadir – and as it happens also Gaukur’s foster brother. The weapons
were axes – the intention of such duels was that one or both would be
killed. As victor, Asgrimur would have kept the axe used by Gaukur, which
would in effect become an heirloom.

Icelandic genealogies have been preserved in amazing detail, and we know
that two-hundred years later Asgrimur had a direct descendant, Thorhallur
Asgrimsson, who in the 1150s went on a crusade to Jerusalem led by the
Viking Earl of Orkney. On return to Orkney en route for Iceland it seems
that Thorhallur and his Icelandic companions became a little bored (if
Orkney on a wet evening then was anything like Lerwick now that’s easy to
understand!) and decided to break in to the burial mound of Maes Howe,
presumably looking for treasure. They then spent quite a time carving
graffiti on the walls. When the mound was first excavated in 1861 the
Viking graffiti was found, including the inscription: These runes were
carved by the greatest rune-master in the west, with the axe once owned by
Gaukur Trandilsson in the south of Iceland.

With real-life stories like this it is clear where JRR Tolkien got his
ideas from! It does seem quite amazing that Thorhallur knew his descent
over 200 years – six or seven generations – and had an axe which his
ancestor had won in single combat. And Thorhallur’s own achievement in
travelling from Iceland to Jerusalem and back again is quite a saga in its
own right!"

*Fascinating* stuff!!

Old Gaukur even gets a mention on the website of an Icelandic pub!!

http://www.gaukurinn.is/?pageID=28

PeterL 18-12-2006 04:34 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:12o5n5pp8pmcjf3
>> @corp.supernews.com:

>>> Peter, the differences between a baking powder bread and a
>>> yeast bread are large.

>> It is *bread* that you don't have to knead. Whether or not it uses
>> baking powder or yeast is for the pedants.

> <LOL> Nah. It's for people who make a distinction like, oh,
> between a car and a truck. Or a blowhard caught up in his
> own ignorance

Yep, sounds like you.

> The thread started with a *very specific* approach to bread
> making.

And threads aren't allowed to deviate in your tiny little mind, are
they? Too confusing for you, is it?

>A long-rise yeast bread, you'll recall. You mocked
> the 24 hours it takes and said you'd rather have damper.
> That's like someone saying Boeuf Bourguignonne takes too
> long, so I'll have a can of Dinty Moore stew.

Don't know what you're talking about. Is this the blowhard part of you
that you mentioned before?

Damper, a 'no knead' *bread* was brought into the subject as a quick
alternative to waiting 24 hours for the other sort.

> Somehow it became about camping out and wrapping it on a
> stick and campfires... and you.

LOL!!! Ahhhhhh, the little green eyed monster pokes his ugly head out
again!!

>> Bit of a pompous ass, aren't you?
>> So who died and made you NetCop/BreadCop?

> <LOL> You really are funny, however inadvertently.
>
> You take it off-topic to a silly place,

Only in your silly little mind.

>and when you get
> called on it, you act like *all* no-knead breads are defined
> by only that characteristic. I must defer to your depth of
> culinary knowledge.

You can blowhard all you want, but even you state that "Damper is no-
knead *quick* bread"

The Subject line states *quite* clearly....... "No knead bread".

What part of that don't you understand?

> Bwah...
>
>>> Bran muffins are "no-knead bread" too.
>>> Exactly the same, right?

>> Stop trying to be a dipshit.
>>
>> Damper is a 'no-knead' *bread*.

> Damper is no-knead *quick* bread. Like virtually all quick
> breads. And bran muffins. And applesauce bread. And banana
> bread...
>
> You're the one that brought up the extraneous category of
> baking powder breads into a discussion of yeast breads.

That's funny, I don't see *where* it specifies that all talk in this "no
knead bread" thread *has* to be about 'yeast bread'.

Is that the pompous ass side of you coming out again and trying to
dictate what everyone can, or can't, talk about?

>Like
> saying
> "Roast beef is good, but deep-fried pork is white."

Over here, we don't deep fry everything like you do, so we wouldn't know
what deep fried pork is like.

Bob (this one) 18-12-2006 04:52 AM

PeterL wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
> :
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:12o5n5pp8pmcjf3
>>> @corp.supernews.com:

>>> It is *bread* that you don't have to knead. Whether or not it uses
>>> baking powder or yeast is for the pedants.

>> <LOL> Nah. It's for people who make a distinction like, oh,
>> between a car and a truck. Or a blowhard caught up in his
>> own ignorance

> Yep, sounds like you.

Res ipsa loquitur, Peter. It's about distinctions you're
unable to make.

>> The thread started with a *very specific* approach to bread
>> making.

> And threads aren't allowed to deviate in your tiny little mind, are
> they? Too confusing for you, is it?

Sure they are. But your confusing the radically different
types of breads based on *one* characteristic shows your
ineptitude. And to try to slough off other examples of the
same sort of confused and ignorant parallelity shows you for
the airbag you are.

>> A long-rise yeast bread, you'll recall. You mocked
>> the 24 hours it takes and said you'd rather have damper.
>> That's like someone saying Boeuf Bourguignonne takes too
>> long, so I'll have a can of Dinty Moore stew.

> Don't know what you're talking about. Is this the blowhard part of you
> that you mentioned before?

Of course you don't Thank you for the demonstration.

> Damper, a 'no knead' *bread* was brought into the subject as a quick
> alternative to waiting 24 hours for the other sort.

And that would have been *the only* difference according to
you. See how uninformed...?

And the subject wasn't "no-knead bread," it was about a
first try with a specific kind of no-knead bread. Whooshed
past you, huh...?

>> Somehow it became about camping out and wrapping it on a
>> stick and campfires... and you.

> LOL!!! Ahhhhhh, the little green eyed monster pokes his ugly head out
> again!!

Spotted me, mate. I'm desperately envious (not jealous, buy
a dictionary) of someone with so little knowledge of the
subject that any schoolchild who has ever made a cupcake
could instruct him.

>>> Bit of a pompous ass, aren't you?
>>> So who died and made you NetCop/BreadCop?

>> <LOL> You really are funny, however inadvertently.
>>
>> You take it off-topic to a silly place,

> Only in your silly little mind.

<LOL> Only because you can't see how foolish your
"contribution" is. What I've been saying all along.

>> and when you get
>> called on it, you act like *all* no-knead breads are defined
>> by only that characteristic. I must defer to your depth of
>> culinary knowledge.

> You can blowhard all you want, but even you state that "Damper is no-
> knead *quick* bread"

<LOL> Back to that one note symphony, huh Peter? It didn't
rise each of the last few times you tried it (bread pun) and
it still sits flat... It was about *yeast* bread.

> The Subject line states *quite* clearly....... "No knead bread".

Wanna go back and read the subject line? I'll wait...

> What part of that don't you understand?

The part that comes below where you put your fingers in your
ears and chant la-la-la-la-la-la... because to do anything
else points out your blunder.

>> Bwah...

>>> Stop trying to be a dipshit.
>>>
>>> Damper is a 'no-knead' *bread*.

>> Damper is no-knead *quick* bread. Like virtually all quick
>> breads. And bran muffins. And applesauce bread. And banana
>> bread...
>>
>> You're the one that brought up the extraneous category of
>> baking powder breads into a discussion of yeast breads.

> That's funny, I don't see *where* it specifies that all talk in this "no
> knead bread" thread *has* to be about 'yeast bread'.

Of course not. Literal Peter...

> Is that the pompous ass side of you coming out again and trying to
> dictate what everyone can, or can't, talk about?

Nah. Talk about anything you want. Probably be good to have
a bit of knowledge about it, though, by contrast.

>> Like saying "Roast beef is good, but deep-fried pork is white."

> Over here, we don't deep fry everything like you do, so we wouldn't know
> what deep fried pork is like.

<LOL> This your "A" material. Peter...? We going to talk
about pork now?

You may go now. There's a good fellow.

Pastorio

PeterL 18-12-2006 05:31 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

>> And threads aren't allowed to deviate in your tiny little mind, are
>> they? Too confusing for you, is it?

> Sure they are.

Thanks for confirming that you find reading different information
confusing.

That must be why you try sooooo hard to keep everything in one specific
subject, hey?

Information overload??

if you can't stand the heat, get outta the kitchen.

>But your confusing the radically different
> types of breads based on *one* characteristic shows your
> ineptitude.

*One* characteristic.

"No knead Bread"

You can't quite grasp that concept, can you?

>And to try to slough off other examples of the
> same sort of confused and ignorant parallelity shows you for
> the airbag you are.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Talk about PKB!!!

> And the subject wasn't "no-knead bread," it was about a
> first try with a specific kind of no-knead bread. Whooshed
> past you, huh...?

No, but progression seems to whoosh right through your ears!!

I'll say again......... Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

and a very good alternative to anyone who is either out camping, or
doesn't want to wait a ridiculous 24 hours for a bloody single loaf of
bread!!

>> That's funny, I don't see *where* it specifies that all talk in this
>> "no knead bread" thread *has* to be about 'yeast bread'.

> Of course not. Literal Peter...

Are you saying it's the *only* topic to be discussed in this thread?

Threads evolve, they change.

If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Your pathetic little whining is not going to stop it happening.

Bruce[_4_] 18-12-2006 10:22 AM

PeterL wrote:
> Bruce > wrote in
> :

>> Papa Stronsay on the left, Stronsay on the right. Papa Stronsay is
>> now home to the monastery being created by the Transalpine
>> Redemptorists.

> Have you tried their cheeses??
>
> Might be a good investment opportunity there :-)

I believe that cheese-making at the monastery is "on hold" at the
moment. Only one of the monks is qualified to produce it and he tends
to get sent away from time to time. But I can recommend the cheese,
delicious.

Bruce[_4_] 18-12-2006 10:25 AM

PeterL wrote:
> "Mary Fisher" > wrote in news:45829f01$0$756
> :

>> If you don't know you needn't look :-)

> Lookin' for 'spookies' ??
>

> C'mon........ enlighten us heathens!!

At sunset on the winter solstice the sun's rays shine straight through
the doorway and onto the back of the tomb. Several useful web references
from <www.maeshowe.co.uk>

Bob (this one) 18-12-2006 02:17 PM

Damper, kneading and who's a real Peter WAS: My first no kneadbread attempt

PeterL wrote:
>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in

> Thanks for confirming that you find reading different information
> confusing.

Poor Peter, posts getting more strident and more
disjunctive. Edge of panic, note of trapped despair that
must...Must...MUST be answered no matter how much of a non
sequitur they offer. Edit to make shabby little points...

>> But your confusing the radically different
>> types of breads based on *one* characteristic shows your
>> ineptitude.

> *One* characteristic.
>
> "No knead Bread"

You know... About that "no-knead" thing and damper. I asked
some of your friends about that and I'm afraid I have some
bad news for you. Damper *isn't* a no-knead bread. Some of
your friends don't even think it's a proper bread, but all
of them knead. It's ok, Peter, we all make blunders like
that. Well, let me correct myself, I said *all* but I really
meant *you.*

> You can't quite grasp that concept, can you?

<LOL> See what I mean? Poor Peter thinks that a "black" car
and a "black " soybean are comparable enough to introduce
either one in a discussion of the other when talking about
upholstery.

>> And to try to slough off other examples of the
>> same sort of confused and ignorant parallelity shows you for
>> the airbag you are.

> ROFLMAO!!!!!
>
> Talk about PKB!!!

<LOL> So, Peter, are muffins to be included in the "no-knead
bread" category? Popovers? Banana bread? Funny how you avoid
including them in the same category, sloughing off other
examples. Forgive me, I missed your "other examples."

> I'll say again......... Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.
>
> and a very good alternative to anyone who is either out camping, or
> doesn't want to wait a ridiculous 24 hours for a bloody single loaf of
> bread!!

But not muffins? Not banana bread?

Waiting a "ridiculous" 24 hours is what a very large number
of people do for bread. Your limited attention span and
understanding seem to preclude your ever having a piece of
good starter bread unless an adult makes it for you.

That you seem to think that one is an equal replacement for
the other is the crux of your depressingly ignorant bleatings.

>>> That's funny, I don't see *where* it specifies that all talk in this
>>> "no knead bread" thread *has* to be about 'yeast bread'.

>> Of course not. Literal Peter...

.... but Damper appears to be a kneaded bread, after all. And
you with so much bile, sturm and drang for not kneading.
Here's the search URL <http://tinyurl.com/yjjac7>

<http://www.aussieslang.com/features/australian-damper-bread-recipe.asp>
"Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and
silky, like a baby's bottom."

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/damperbeerbread_5272.shtml>
"Turn out on to a clean surface and knead briefly until
smooth. Shape into a 25cm/10in round and place in the centre
of a large, double-thickness sheet of oiled extra-thick foil."

<http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/food/damper.php>
"It was originally made with flour and water and a good
pinch of salt, kneaded, shaped into a round, and baked in
the ashes of the campfire or open fireplace."
[...]
"Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape
into a round, put on a greased oven tray."

<http://www.cooksrecipes.com/bread/australian-damper-bread-recipe.html>
Oh, look. They know the difference between a yeast bread and
a biscuit...
"Yeast lightens the bread and adds a tangy flavor; baking
powder gives it the texture of an airy biscuit."
"Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead
until smooth, about 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed
to prevent sticking."

<http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/tech/recipes/bread/damper/Chap1.html>
"Knead for about 5 minutes (if you don't know about
kneading, look in a good cookery book with plenty of
pictures -- it's difficult to describe in words)."

For a hilarious non-recipe in Peter's style, check out
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Damper> This is the
*only* recipe for damper I saw that *didn't* ask for
kneading. And after a read of what it does ask for, it soon
becomes funny.

<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Drover%27s_Damper>
"Knead lightly on flat surface until smooth"

The Australian campfire cooks ask for it to be kneaded, too.
<http://www.dwacres.com/node/39>
"Knead lightly on a board/flat surface/altar until smooth."

<http://home.iprimus.com.au/michellejbailey/recipes.htm#AustralianDamper>
"Stir with a knife until just combined. Turn onto lightly
floured surface; knead 20 seconds or until smooth."

From a site for educating folks... They think that damper
isn't proper bread at all. More like a muffin, I guess.
<http://www.google.com/search?as_q=recipe&q=damper+bread&num=100&btnG=Fin d+Recipes>
"In the Australian bush, damper was usually cooked and eaten
instead of bread. Find recipes for bread and damper and talk
about the difference between the two."

<http://www.abc.net.au/centralvic/stories/s870708.htm>
"Gently mix the batter and knead to smooth dough."

Do you simply not know what kneading is?

> Are you saying it's the *only* topic to be discussed in this thread?
>
> Threads evolve, they change.

Of course they do. And when they're changed by the
undereducated and underinformed, they end up talking this
kind of nonsense about no-think "bread on a stick" that
still needs to be kneaded, when the subject is long-rise,
ultra-hydrated, yeasted, steam-baked, heavy-crusted,
large-bubbled, soft-crumbed European-style bread.

> If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Right. Banish me. Crushed, I tell you. Crushed.

> Your pathetic little whining is not going to stop it happening.

<LOL> But there will always be those shallow drinkers of the
Pierian Spring like you who think that bread is just bread
and meat is just meat and noodles are just noodles and any
one is as good as any other...

A recipe I'm sure you'll love, even though it calls for
kneading, like all other damper recipes: "Crusty Cheese and
Mustard Damperettes" <http://www.recipezaar.com/143080>
Somehow I think of you when I read the word "Damperettes."

So how do you knead your damper, Matilda?

Pastorio

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:05 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :

>>> Papa Stronsay on the left, Stronsay on the right. Papa Stronsay is
>>> now home to the monastery being created by the Transalpine
>>> Redemptorists.

>> Have you tried their cheeses??
>>
>> Might be a good investment opportunity there :-)

> I believe that cheese-making at the monastery is "on hold" at the
> moment. Only one of the monks is qualified to produce it and he tends
> to get sent away from time to time.

For being a bad boy??!! ;-)

>But I can recommend the cheese,
> delicious.

It'd certainly be a *very* marketable product just due to the location
and manufacturers, but if it tastes good...... it's twice as marketable.

PeterL 18-12-2006 03:10 PM

OT: Tombs in Stronsay My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in
:

>> C'mon........ enlighten us heathens!!
>>

> At sunset on the winter solstice the sun's rays shine straight through
> the doorway and onto the back of the tomb. Several useful web references
> from <www.maeshowe.co.uk>

Been looking all *over* them!! *Very* interesting......... History was one
of my favourite subjects at school, and you're living right in the backyard
of it!!

So, not much information is about to find out *why* it was built, but
having the sun strike the back wall........... during the solstice....
where's the alter?