FoodBanter.com

-   -   My first no knead bread attempt (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/109546-my-first-no-knead.html)

Bruce[_4_] 13-12-2006 10:49 PM

Dave Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, PeterL wrote:
>
>> [Slipping into Aussie Ocker mode.....}
>>

>> Bonzer cobber!!!!

> Hmm - is that close to fair dinkum tucker?

Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

PeterL 14-12-2006 01:04 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in
:

> Dave Bell wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, PeterL wrote:
>>
>>> [Slipping into Aussie Ocker mode.....}
>>>

>>> Bonzer cobber!!!!

>> Hmm - is that close to fair dinkum tucker?

> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

LOL!!

That's if you speak with a toffee in your mouth and something stuck up your
butt ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

graham[_1_] 14-12-2006 07:14 AM

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> Bruce > wrote in
> :
>
>> Dave Bell wrote:

>>> Hmm - is that close to fair dinkum tucker?

>> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

> LOL!!
>
> That's if you speak with a toffee in your mouth and something stuck up
> your
> butt ;-)

Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

Graham

PeterL 14-12-2006 07:24 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"graham" > wrote in news:VY5gh.474658$1T2.397649
@pd7urf2no:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :

>>> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

>> LOL!!
>>
>> That's if you speak with a toffee in your mouth and something stuck

up
>> your
>> butt ;-)
>>

> Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

On ya bike!!

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 08:43 AM

"graham" > wrote in message

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :

>>> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

>> LOL!!
>>
>> That's if you speak with a toffee in your mouth and something stuck up
>> your
>> butt ;-)
>>

> Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

OOOOhhhh I don't know what that one means:)) Perhaps I had better not ask?

Nancy Young 14-12-2006 12:46 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Ophelia" > wrote

> "graham" > wrote

>> Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

> OOOOhhhh I don't know what that one means:)) Perhaps I had better not
> ask?

Hey, Ophelia! I've been wondering about you, nice to see you.

nancy

PeterL 14-12-2006 01:01 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

>> Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

> OOOOhhhh I don't know what that one means:)) Perhaps I had better not
> ask?

It's along the lines of .....
"Argggghhhh, stuff a duck..... you're a ******!!

Mary Fisher 14-12-2006 01:40 PM

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> "Mary Fisher" > wrote in news:45801d78$0$758
> :
>

>>> [Slipping into Aussie Ocker mode.....}
>>>

>>> Bonzer cobber!!!!

>> I'm sure that's complimentary but I don't speak Aussie :-)
>>
>> Mary
>>>

> (Another version...)
>
> Good on ya, mate!!

Thanks!

I'll try to remember that.

<repeats to self "Bonzer cobber, Bonzer cobber, Bonzer cobber ... >

Mary

Mary Fisher 14-12-2006 01:41 PM

Mary Fisher 14-12-2006 01:41 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Dave Bell wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, PeterL wrote:
>>
>>> [Slipping into Aussie Ocker mode.....}
>>>

>>> Bonzer cobber!!!!

>> Hmm - is that close to fair dinkum tucker?

> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

In ORKNEY???

Mary

Bruce[_4_] 14-12-2006 01:56 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> Dave Bell wrote:

>>> Hmm - is that close to fair dinkum tucker?

>> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

> In ORKNEY???
>
> Mary

I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>
And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
grand tha' knows"

Mary Fisher 14-12-2006 05:41 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
>>> Not quite. Possibly "I say, jolly good show chaps!" <g>

>> In ORKNEY???
>>
>> Mary

> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>
> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50 years
> ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet grand
> tha' knows"

Aye, Ah know abaat that sort 'o talk!

But tha's but a young un ...

Mary
Leeds

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 06:53 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

>>> In ORKNEY???
>>>
>>> Mary

>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>
>> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
>> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's
>> reet grand tha' knows"

> Aye, Ah know abaat that sort 'o talk!
>
> But tha's but a young un ...

Unlike us eh Mary? Now, about those pies?

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 06:55 PM

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote
>
>> "graham" > wrote

>>> Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

>> OOOOhhhh I don't know what that one means:)) Perhaps I had better
>> not ask?

> Hey, Ophelia! I've been wondering about you, nice to see you.

Hey Nancy:))) How are you????? :))

I have been away for a while but all is well now and I am back:))

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 06:56 PM

PeterL wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>

>>> Don't come the raw prawn with us! Pull yer 'ead in! {:-)

>> OOOOhhhh I don't know what that one means:)) Perhaps I had better
>> not ask?
>>

> It's along the lines of .....
> "Argggghhhh, stuff a duck..... you're a ******!!

LOL thank you.... I think:)))

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 06:57 PM

Bruce wrote:

> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>
> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
> grand tha' knows"

O waves to Bruce from Glasgow:))))

I am a transplant too from Yorkshi))

Bruce[_4_] 14-12-2006 08:32 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>
>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>
>> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
>> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
>> grand tha' knows"

> O waves to Bruce from Glasgow:))))
>
> I am a transplant too from Yorkshi))

Hello O
Although we lived in the White Rose county for years (Scarborough) I was
brought up in the Derbyshire Peak District.

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 08:33 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>
>>> And if I used the vernacular of the village in which I was raised 50
>>> years ago I'd probably say something like "Eeh bah gum lad, yon's reet
>>> grand tha' knows"

>> O waves to Bruce from Glasgow:))))
>>
>> I am a transplant too from Yorkshi))

> Hello O
> Although we lived in the White Rose county for years (Scarborough) I was
> brought up in the Derbyshire Peak District.

Oh well, that is a beautiful area too:)) I have had many a happy holiday
there eating Bakewell tart:)))))

Bruce[_4_] 14-12-2006 09:03 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> O waves to Bruce from Glasgow:))))
>>>
>>> I am a transplant too from Yorkshi))

>> Hello O
>> Although we lived in the White Rose county for years (Scarborough) I was
>> brought up in the Derbyshire Peak District.

> Oh well, that is a beautiful area too:)) I have had many a happy holiday
> there eating Bakewell tart:)))))

Shirley a Bakewell Pudding <g>

Ophelia[_1_] 14-12-2006 09:07 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Hello O
>>> Although we lived in the White Rose county for years (Scarborough) I was
>>> brought up in the Derbyshire Peak District.

>> Oh well, that is a beautiful area too:)) I have had many a happy holiday
>> there eating Bakewell tart:)))))

> Shirley a Bakewell Pudding <g>

ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yessss indeed:))

O slinks off to wash out her mouth with soap and water:(((

Oh those puddings are heavenly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PeterL 15-12-2006 12:15 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in
:

> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

Bruce[_4_] 15-12-2006 12:40 AM

PeterL wrote:
> Bruce > wrote in
> :
>

>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
- apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it
suits us down to the ground. Looking forwards to the solstice next week
- the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

PeterL 15-12-2006 12:57 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in news:7-
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and

quiet
> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but

it
> suits us down to the ground.

Sounds like Tasmania, where I will eventually move to.

Somewhere around the Strahan (sounds like Strawn)
area.

http://tinyurl.com/vs4l4

>Looking forwards to the solstice next week
> - the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

LOL!! Lots of black there!!

But....... why are the cameras in the tomb facing out?

PeterL 15-12-2006 01:47 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

Bruce > wrote in news:7-
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg

I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the right??

And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

Pandora 15-12-2006 07:10 AM

"PeterL" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bruce > wrote in news:7-
> :
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> Bruce > wrote in
>>> :

>>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

>> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
>> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>

> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the right??
>
> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

Papa, in italian, means Pope.

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora

PeterL 15-12-2006 08:38 AM

"Pandora" > wrote in :

> "PeterL" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Bruce > wrote in news:7-
>> :

>>> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and

quiet
>>> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but

it

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>>

>> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the

right??

>> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

> Papa, in italian, means Pope.

Thanks Pandy :-)

Seems like a funny name for an Island.

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 08:42 AM

"PeterL" > wrote in message
> Bruce > wrote in
> :
>

>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

Pah! He moved there so he could hide his stash of Bakewell Puddings!!!!!

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 08:43 AM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "PeterL" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Bruce > wrote in news:7-
>> :

>>> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
>>> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>>

>> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the right??
>>
>> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

> Papa, in italian, means Pope.

and in Germany it means Daddy!

Omelet 15-12-2006 08:56 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
> > Bruce > wrote in
> > :
> >

> >> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

> > That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

> Pah! He moved there so he could hide his stash of Bakewell Puddings!!!!!

Good to see you back posting O! I'd wondered where you were. :-)
What's up?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 08:59 AM

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> > Bruce > wrote in
>> > :

>> > That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

>> Pah! He moved there so he could hide his stash of Bakewell Puddings!!!!!

> Good to see you back posting O! I'd wondered where you were. :-)
> What's up?
> --
> Peace, Om

Om!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugssssssssssssssssssssssssss:)))

Fine, fine, fine thank you. I am back at work full time and I am getting
ready for Christmas:))

You??

Omelet 15-12-2006 09:04 AM

"Ophelia" > wrote:

> > Good to see you back posting O! I'd wondered where you were. :-)
> > What's up?
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Om!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugssssssssssssssssssssssssss:)))
>
> Fine, fine, fine thank you. I am back at work full time and I am getting
> ready for Christmas:))
>
> You??

Getting ready for the holidays as well, (just dragged the tree in from
the greenhouse yesterday and will try to get it trimmed today!) and
planning our roasted duck dinner for Christmas. ;-d

Working on year #20 at the same workplace.......

Hugssssss back atcha! :-)

I think I changed my nick' since you last posted and dropped the
"OmManiPadme".

It was just too bloody long!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ophelia[_1_] 15-12-2006 09:15 AM

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> > Good to see you back posting O! I'd wondered where you were. :-)
>> > What's up?
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> Om!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugssssssssssssssssssssssssss:)))
>>
>> Fine, fine, fine thank you. I am back at work full time and I am getting
>> ready for Christmas:))
>>
>> You??

> Getting ready for the holidays as well, (just dragged the tree in from
> the greenhouse yesterday and will try to get it trimmed today!) and
> planning our roasted duck dinner for Christmas. ;-d
>
> Working on year #20 at the same workplace.......
>
> Hugssssss back atcha! :-)
>
> I think I changed my nick' since you last posted and dropped the
> "OmManiPadme".
>
> It was just too bloody long!

LOL it doesn't really matter does it, so long as we know it's you:))

PeterL 15-12-2006 09:18 AM

My first no knead bread attempt

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> "PeterL" > wrote in message
>> Bruce > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> I'm living in Orkney but not an native-born Orcadian <g>

>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

> Pah! He moved there so he could hide his stash of Bakewell
> Puddings!!!!!

OK, I give up. What're they?

Bruce[_4_] 15-12-2006 10:40 AM

PeterL wrote:
> Bruce > wrote in news:7-
> :
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> Bruce > wrote in
>>> :

>>> That's certainly an 'out of the way' area there!!

>> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet
>> - apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>

> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the right??
>
> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

Papa Stronsay on the left, Stronsay on the right. Papa Stronsay is now
home to the monastery being created by the Transalpine Redemptorists.
The collection of houses around the harbour on Stronsay is Whitehall
village which is where we live.
"Papa" in this context indicates a connection with a monk or priest.

Mary Fisher 15-12-2006 12:03 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message

>> Oh well, that is a beautiful area too:)) I have had many a happy holiday
>> there eating Bakewell tart:)))))

> Shirley a Bakewell Pudding <g>

Yes! And I still haven't managed to make one like those I've enjoyed in
Castleton :-(

Mary

Mary Fisher 15-12-2006 12:04 PM

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet -
> apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it
> suits us down to the ground. Looking forwards to the solstice next week -
> the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

I hope I remember to look at the right time!

Mary

Mary Fisher 15-12-2006 12:19 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

"PeterL" > wrote in message

Peter, could you mail me please? I have a question about Australia which is
OT for this NG.

Mary

Bruce[_4_] 15-12-2006 12:21 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>
>> That's exactly why we moved here nearly 3 years ago. Peaceful and quiet -
>> apart from the weather of course! It's not to everyone's taste but it
>> suits us down to the ground. Looking forwards to the solstice next week -
>> the Maeshowe webcam is running at <http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/>

> I hope I remember to look at the right time!

More Orcadian webcams at
<http://www.buyorkney.com/interactive/webcams/>

Pandora 15-12-2006 01:10 PM

My first no knead bread attempt

"PeterL" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Pandora" > wrote in :
>

>> "PeterL" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Bruce > wrote in news:7-
>>> :

> quiet

> it

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

>>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>>>

>>> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the

> right??
>>>
>>> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

>> Papa, in italian, means Pope.
>>

> Thanks Pandy :-)
>
> Seems like a funny name for an Island.

LOL it's true :)

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora

Pandora 15-12-2006 01:11 PM

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "PeterL" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Bruce > wrote in news:7-
>>> :

http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...ews/aerial.jpg

>>> http://www.papastronsay.com/images/i...s/aerial-B.jpg
>>>

>>> I take it Papa Stronsay is on the left and your Island is on the right??
>>>
>>> And what is the meaning of 'Papa'??

>> Papa, in italian, means Pope.

> and in Germany it means Daddy!

In Italy Daddy it's very similar: Papà :)

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora