Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default OT: Tombs in Stronsay My first no knead bread attempt

PeterL wrote:
> So, not much information is about to find out *why* it was built, but
> having the sun strike the back wall........... during the solstice....
> where's the alter?

No altar as such. There are many theories as to why it was built. You
may find Sigurd Towrie's website <www.orkneyjar.com> of some interest,
especially page <www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/acoustics.htm>
And Golgotha monastery on Papa Stronsay is not the first, see my website
for links.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Damper, kneading and who's a real Peter WAS: My first no knead bread attempt

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:
>>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in

>> Thanks for confirming that you find reading different information
>> confusing.

> Poor Peter, posts getting more strident and more
> disjunctive. Edge of panic, note of trapped despair that
> must...Must...MUST be answered no matter how much of a non
> sequitur they offer. Edit to make shabby little points...

Whatever he's drinking........ I don't want any, thanks.

>>> But your confusing the radically different
>>> types of breads based on *one* characteristic shows your
>>> ineptitude.

>> *One* characteristic.
>>
>> "No knead Bread"

> You know... About that "no-knead" thing and damper. I asked
> some of your friends about that and I'm afraid I have some
> bad news for you. Damper *isn't* a no-knead bread. Some of
> your friends don't even think it's a proper bread, but all
> of them knead. It's ok, Peter, we all make blunders like
> that. Well, let me correct myself, I said *all* but I really
> meant *you.*

You asked "some of my friends"?? Please supply names of so-called friends.
Otherwise you're nothing but a blustering blowhard bullshit artist.

All my friends wouldn't know you from a bar of soap.

And seeing your little tanty here, most wouldn't **** on you if you were on
fire.

>> You can't quite grasp that concept, can you?

> <LOL> See what I mean? Poor Peter thinks that a "black" car
> and a "black " soybean are comparable enough to introduce
> either one in a discussion of the other when talking about
> upholstery.

Maybe it's not drink??? Maybe it's drugs??

>>> And to try to slough off other examples of the
>>> same sort of confused and ignorant parallelity shows you for
>>> the airbag you are.

>> ROFLMAO!!!!!
>>
>> Talk about PKB!!!

> <LOL> So, Peter, are muffins to be included in the "no-knead
> bread" category? Popovers? Banana bread? Funny how you avoid
> including them in the same category, sloughing off other
> examples. Forgive me, I missed your "other examples."
>
>> I'll say again......... Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

I'll say again........ Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

Bread being something made with flour and water and a few additives.

Not bananas.

damper is a *bread* Pastorio....... get your head out of your arse and
acknowledge the fact.

>> and a very good alternative to anyone who is either out camping, or
>> doesn't want to wait a ridiculous 24 hours for a bloody single loaf
>> of bread!!

> But not muffins? Not banana bread?

You're being a dickhead again.

> Waiting a "ridiculous" 24 hours is what a very large number
> of people do for bread.

Well, you're an idiot.

Yeah, it's ok to do for an experiment..... totally impractical in everyday
life.

>Your limited attention span and
> understanding seem to preclude your ever having a piece of
> good starter bread unless an adult makes it for you.
>
> That you seem to think that one is an equal replacement for
> the other is the crux of your depressingly ignorant bleatings.

One has to wonder at your childish rantings......... did you get a bad
batch of moonshine up on your mountain, redneck?

[Snip a *huge* sign of pathetic Pastorios obsession.....]

> Do you simply not know what kneading is?

I certainly do.

And as is the case, there are quite a few recipes for damper that *don't*
require kneading.

You're just too blinkered, and too pig ugly stupid to look past your own
little agenda.

You're the 'self proclaimed' "bread man" of the newsgroups..... BFD!!!!

Get your head out of your arse, pastorio, and look at the *whole* world.
Your pathetic little corner is not the be all to end all.

>> Are you saying it's the *only* topic to be discussed in this thread?
>>
>> Threads evolve, they change.

> Of course they do. And when they're changed by the
> undereducated and underinformed,

ROFLMAO!!!!

I'm sure quite a few of your fellow newsgroupers would just *love* to hear
this!!

You're nothing but a self inflated pompous ass.

>they end up talking this
> kind of nonsense about no-think "bread on a stick"

Oh really?? Please post *who* posted about "bread on a stick".

I'm sure they'd love to be called "undereducated and underinformed" by some
redneck hillbilly such as yourself.

>that
> still needs to be kneaded, when the subject is long-rise,
> ultra-hydrated, yeasted, steam-baked, heavy-crusted,
> large-bubbled, soft-crumbed European-style bread.

BFD.

Threads evolve, they change. Get used to it moron, or ask to become rfc
moderator, then everyone will have to talk about what *you* want.

****ing dickehead that you are.

>> If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

> Right. Banish me. Crushed, I tell you. Crushed.

I said "If you don't like it, go elsewhere".

Bit of a crybaby, are you?

Ewwwww, they're going to "banish" me!! Ewwww!!

You're an idiot.

>> Your pathetic little whining is not going to stop it happening.

> <LOL> But there will always be those shallow drinkers of the
> Pierian Spring like you who think that bread is just bread
> and meat is just meat and noodles are just noodles and any
> one is as good as any other...

And there will always be pedantic little assholes like you that stand on
your little soapbox, beat your puny chest, and cry to the world that the
rest of the population are heathens for not conforming to your way of life.

Build a bridge and get over it ******.

> A recipe I'm sure you'll love, even though it calls for
> kneading, like all other damper recipes:

Really?? The following proves you to be a liar.

http://www.abc.net.au/northtas/stories/s512810.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/farnorth/stories/s1599225.htm

And here's one 'no-knead-damper/bread' mix to put on a stick.....

http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/bu...-games/recipe-
damper.html

http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=87252

And the list goes on.

It's 'horses for courses' you hillbilly ******.

Oh, BTW, I noticed your very childish change of the subject line. Just
thought I'd leave it in to show people what a truly pathetic little person
you really are.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Irish Soda Vs. Damper Bread (Was Damper, kneading and who's a real Peter)

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
[snip]
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...bread_5272.sht
ml>
> "Turn out on to a clean surface and knead briefly until
> smooth. Shape into a 25cm/10in round and place in the centre
> of a large, double-thickness sheet of oiled extra-thick foil."
>
> <http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/food/damper.php>
> "It was originally made with flour and water and a good
> pinch of salt, kneaded, shaped into a round, and baked in
> the ashes of the campfire or open fireplace."
> [...]
> "Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape
> into a round, put on a greased oven tray."

[snip]

So what's the difference between Irish Soda bread and Damper? I'm
remembering a couple boys scout campouts where we did something
similar (only Reynolds helped keep the bread ash-free).

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
> Bruce > wrote in news:5NqdnZ9V4p_-
> :
>
>> PeterL wrote:
>>> So, not much information is about to find out *why* it was built, but
>>> having the sun strike the back wall........... during the

> solstice....
>>> where's the alter?

>> No altar as such. There are many theories as to why it was built. You
>> may find Sigurd Towrie's website <www.orkneyjar.com> of some interest,
>> especially page <www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/acoustics.htm>

> Thanks, will check it out when I have a couple of spare hours!!!
>

>> And Golgotha monastery on Papa Stronsay is not the first, see my

> website
>> for links.

> Yep, been looking at the photos of the digs, especially where they
> unearthed the 'alter'.
>
> Oh, and the 'graves'.
>
> I find it *intensely* interesting that there is a pub in Reykjavik,
> Iceland, named after a guy (Gaukur) who was killed by the ancestor of a
> dude who carved some graffiti in Maeshowes' walls 200 years after his
> ancestors death!! *And* with the axe that belonged to the defeated
> Gaukur!!
>

> BTW, where abouts in the tomb is the rune graffiti??

The Viking graffiti covers the interior walls of Maeshowe. More runic
graffiti is on a standing stone at Brodgar
(And it's "altar" not "alter" <g>)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in news:12odfhlgu51n265
@corp.supernews.com:

> So what's the difference between Irish Soda bread and Damper? I'm
> remembering a couple boys scout campouts where we did something
> similar (only Reynolds helped keep the bread ash-free).

Not much by the looks of it. Some require a couple of seconds "kneading",
some none at all.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I'm going to try it out in the next day
or so.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irresis...ad/Detail.aspx

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL > wrote in message
> I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.

I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the best crust
results... YMMV, though. Be sure to add currents or raisins to make
it more morning than dinner bread.

It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
Stew...

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in news:12oecgtt9sdroc2
@corp.supernews.com:

> PeterL > wrote in message
>> I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.

> I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the best crust
> results... YMMV, though.

Lid on, or off, when it's in the oven? Either way, I'll use mine for the
plain loaf.

>Be sure to add currents or raisins to make
> it more morning than dinner bread.

Yep, was going to make one of them too :-)

> It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
> Stew...

Now *that* will definitely have to wait for winter!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

:
> > PeterL > wrote in message

> > > I'm going to try it out in the next day or so.
> > >

> > I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the
> > best crust results... YMMV, though.
> >

> Lid on, or off, when it's in the oven? Either way, I'll use
> mine for the plain loaf.

On.

> > It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
> > Stew...
> >

> Now *that* will definitely have to wait for winter!!

For Clan Ranger, it's an anytime, any-weather stew.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in
:

> PeterL > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in

> :

>> > I've learned to rely on my cast iron Dutch oven for the
>> > best crust results... YMMV, though.
>> >

>> Lid on, or off, when it's in the oven? Either way, I'll use
>> mine for the plain loaf.

> On.

Cool, thanks.

>> > It's best when served with Charlie Liam's Guinness Stout Beef
>> > Stew...

You'll have to post the recipe, I Googled for Charlies, but couldn't
find anything.

>> Now *that* will definitely have to wait for winter!!

> For Clan Ranger, it's an anytime, any-weather stew.

You're in CA aren't you?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
> :

> You asked "some of my friends"?? Please supply names of so-called friends.
> Otherwise you're nothing but a blustering blowhard bullshit artist.
>
> All my friends wouldn't know you from a bar of soap.
>
> And seeing your little tanty here, most wouldn't **** on you if you were on
> fire.

Peter, you literalist ****ing nitwit, that was hyperbolic
and referred to all the sites from Australia I posted below,
every one of which indicated that damper was a *kneaded*
breadlike baked good. Substantial recipes that gave good
instructions, unlike the bottom-feeder residue you trolled up.

>>> I'll say again......... Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.

> I'll say again........ Damper is a *no-knead-bread*.
>
> Bread being something made with flour and water and a few additives.
>
> Not bananas.

See, Peter. Clearly you, unique among all living humans,
have never heard of banana bread. It exists. And you look
more foolish with each passing post. If you'd like to stay
in this discourse, for god's sake, man, at least do a little
googling so you act less like a spurned suitor and more like
someone actually holding his own.

> damper is a *bread* Pastorio....... get your head out of your arse and
> acknowledge the fact.

<LOL> You say so, but your Aussie compatriots dispute you.
Take it up with them. Oh, wait. You deleted *all* those
references.

>>> and a very good alternative to anyone who is either out camping, or
>>> doesn't want to wait a ridiculous 24 hours for a bloody single loaf
>>> of bread!!

>> But not muffins? Not banana bread?

> You're being a dickhead again.

So, still no answer.

>> Waiting a "ridiculous" 24 hours is what a very large number
>> of people do for bread.

> Well, you're an idiot.
>
> Yeah, it's ok to do for an experiment..... totally impractical in everyday
> life.

<LOL> Thousands and thousands of people are doing it rather
easily. My oldest daughter does it every third day. Assemble
ingredients in the morning before going to work, bake it
tomorrow for dinner. Totally impractical... moron.

You are so tightly caught up in your belief that if you do
it or if you think it, it's right because of that fact. Bwah...

>> Your limited attention span and
>> understanding seem to preclude your ever having a piece of
>> good starter bread unless an adult makes it for you.
>>
>> That you seem to think that one is an equal replacement for
>> the other is the crux of your depressingly ignorant bleatings.

> One has to wonder at your childish rantings......... did you get a bad
> batch of moonshine up on your mountain, redneck.

So nothing substantive. Still. Again.

> [Snip a *huge* sign of pathetic Pastorios obsession.....]

<LOLOLOLOL>

Peter deletes a very big bunch of Australian references that
say that damper is *not* a no-knead bread.

Bwahahahahahahahaha..

Proof - citations from reliable sources - of his empty
absurdity is "a *huge* sign of my obsession."

Hee, hee, hee...

>> Do you simply not know what kneading is?

> I certainly do.
>
> And as is the case, there are quite a few recipes for damper that *don't*
> require kneading.

The truly funny part of it is that I gave you my search
references and the web sites I checked at random. I said *at
random* NOT ONE said not to knead it. NOT ONE called it a
no-knead bread.

NOT ONE. And not one of the ones from the terrible recipes
you posted referred to it that way. Why is that, I wonder?
No one else think it's no-knead? NOT ONE?

>>> Are you saying it's the *only* topic to be discussed in this thread?
>>>
>>> Threads evolve, they change.

>> Of course they do. And when they're changed by the
>> undereducated and underinformed,

> ROFLMAO!!!!
>
> I'm sure quite a few of your fellow newsgroupers would just *love* to hear
> this!!
>
> You're nothing but a self inflated pompous ass.

But, Peter, it's all about you. Everything's about you. No
one else is confused about who's uninformed.

>> they end up talking this
>> kind of nonsense about no-think "bread on a stick"

> Oh really?? Please post *who* posted about "bread on a stick".

<LOL> Go back upthread a bit, Peter. You do know how to do
that...?

> I'm sure they'd love to be called "undereducated and underinformed" by some
> redneck hillbilly such as yourself.

<LOL> My fellow newsgroupers don't go off on these
self-convicting, ignorance-demonstrating binges like you
have. And if they do, I help them along to greater clarity
of vision, just like with you. <LOL>

>> that
>> still needs to be kneaded, when the subject is long-rise,
>> ultra-hydrated, yeasted, steam-baked, heavy-crusted,
>> large-bubbled, soft-crumbed European-style bread.

> BFD.

<LOL> Peter tries to throw it over his shoulder when he's
dead wrong. Good tactic.

> Threads evolve, they change. Get used to it moron, or ask to become rfc
> moderator, then everyone will have to talk about what *you* want.
>
> ****ing dickehead that you are.
>
>>> If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

>> Right. Banish me. Crushed, I tell you. Crushed.

> I said "If you don't like it, go elsewhere".
>
> Bit of a crybaby, are you?
>
> Ewwwww, they're going to "banish" me!! Ewwww!!

Peter, can you only see the world in your panicky, literal
terms? Is everything so desperately urgent in your tiny
world? Is your being absolutely correct important enough for
you to keep this bagatelle going in the face of nothing
substantive supporting you?

> You're an idiot.
>
>>> Your pathetic little whining is not going to stop it happening.

>> <LOL> But there will always be those shallow drinkers of the
>> Pierian Spring like you who think that bread is just bread
>> and meat is just meat and noodles are just noodles and any
>> one is as good as any other...

> And there will always be pedantic little assholes like you that stand on
> your little soapbox, beat your puny chest, and cry to the world that the
> rest of the population are heathens for not conforming to your way of life.
>
> Build a bridge and get over it ******.

See, you have the ability not to be a literalist. At least I
assume you know that this is nothing like the truth. Pity
you don't have the capacity to get past your own crabbed ego.

>> A recipe I'm sure you'll love, even though it calls for
>> kneading, like all other damper recipes:

> Really?? The following proves you to be a liar.

Peter, Peter, Peter... May I call you Peter...?

I'm sorry about these recipes you've culled up here. Not
because they show that damper is a no-knead bread - they
don't do that - but because they're so terribly
non-culinary. So terribly amateurish in conception and
execution. Not really good enough to cook from with any
assurance of success. Vague terms, vague directions, vague
descriptions of desired results. Desperate attempts to
salvage what little remains of your self-respect.

> http://www.abc.net.au/northtas/stories/s512810.htm

So how much water in "Don's Damper?" He doesn't say, so we
can't know what texture or hydration level would be
"correct." He just wants "a moulded lump in the middle of
the pot" whatever that could be. Getting the raw ingredients
to a "a moulded lump in the middle of the pot" means it
needs to be manipulated into whatever that shape might be.
That's basic kneading. You think this is a good recipe?

> http://www.abc.net.au/farnorth/stories/s1599225.htm

"Aunty Valda Jackson" gives a quantity of liquid and asks us
to "Mix ingredients together in bowl until dough has a thick
consistency." Looking pretty good there for a second until
we get to "Aunty Val recommends not cutting damper with a
knife as it may cause damper to turn doughy." I looked in
several culinary references to find "a thick consistency"
and these skimpy books didn't have any reference to it. I'm
just wondering how to get all that flour wet without strong
mixing... which we all know is called kneading. You think
this is a good recipe?

> And here's one 'no-knead-damper/bread' mix to put on a stick.....

> http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/bu...pe-damper.html

The one to wrap around a stick calls for the cook to "Shape
dough into four banana-shaped pieces and mould onto the end
of sticks." For someone like you who clearly knows nothing
about baking, there should be a clue there that the dough is
being manipulated. Being handled and shaped. Being moved
into a specific shape. That's called kneading. It's handling
the dough that will alter the gluten structure so it will
stay on the stick. That's the effect of kneading. You think
this is a good recipe?

> http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=87252

This one is particularly brilliant. It wants us to "Silf the
flour and salt into a bowl, add sufficient milk to make a
manageable dough. Bake on a greased and floured baking sheet
25-30 minutes at 220deg C (440F). Baste with milk during
cooking. Serve with butter." You think this is a good recipe?

> And the list goes on.

Perhaps it does. But I wouldn't expect you to notice that
none of the recipes explains in any detail what to actually
do, step-by-step. The simple fact is that the recipes you've
posted aren't at all complete. Not one is. They're the work
of amateurs as rank as you and, finally, as off-the-mark as
your infantile ravings..

> It's 'horses for courses' you hillbilly ******.
>
> Oh, BTW, I noticed your very childish change of the subject line. Just
> thought I'd leave it in to show people what a truly pathetic little person
> you really are.

<LOL> My goodness, Peter, you're such a big, bold man with
such wonderful breading. Um, breeding.

Learn about baked goods. We'll all wait.

No, seriously...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

The Ranger wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> [snip]
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...bread_5272.sht
> ml>
>> "Turn out on to a clean surface and knead briefly until
>> smooth. Shape into a 25cm/10in round and place in the centre
>> of a large, double-thickness sheet of oiled extra-thick foil."
>>
>> <http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/food/damper.php>
>> "It was originally made with flour and water and a good
>> pinch of salt, kneaded, shaped into a round, and baked in
>> the ashes of the campfire or open fireplace."
>> [...]
>> "Gently knead on a lightly floured surface and then shape
>> into a round, put on a greased oven tray."

> [snip]
>
> So what's the difference between Irish Soda bread and Damper? I'm
> remembering a couple boys scout campouts where we did something
> similar (only Reynolds helped keep the bread ash-free).

Irish soda bread will generally have many more ingredients
and a flavor other than merely that of cooked flour. The
intent was to be a good bit more sophisticated than damper,
something more suitable to the dinner table. The best was
airy and biscuit-like to my taste.

Here's a good recipe for it:
<http://ballina.mayo-ireland.ie/Brigown/SodaBrd.htm>
Soda Bread from Marjorie's Kitchen

(Makes 1 large or 2 small loaves)

574g/ 4 cups (1.25 lbs. plain flour sieved)
1/2 teaspoon bread soda
15 fl oz (1/2 to 3/4 pt buttermilk) or sour milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
Small drop of fresh milk
1 rounded teaspoon Bextartar (raising agent)
25g/loz. sugar
1. Heat the pot/oven and grease with a little lard.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a basin and make a
well in the centre.
3. Pour in nearly all the milk and egg; gather in the
flour and mix to a loose dough, adding more milk if necessary.
4. With floured hands, knead lightly on a floured board
or table and flatten out. Cut a cross on top.
5. Place dough in pot/oven; cover with heated lid. Place
hot coals on top to give all round heat.
Alternatively bake in a greased round pyrex dish with lid,
pre-heat oven (4250F, 2200C or gas 7 for 40 minutes).
To keep the bread soft, wrap in a clean damp tea towel when
it is taken out of the oven.

Variations
Sultana Cake: Half-cup of sultanas are added to the dry
ingredients.
Treacle Soda Bread: Make as above, but 2 tablespoons of
black treacle (molasses) is heated with the milk and 1
tablespoon of sugar is added to the dry ingredients.
Brown: Make as above but use 1 lb. (4 cups) whole- wheat
flour and 2 cups (0.5 lb). plain white flour. A little more
milk is used to mix the dough.
Apple Cake: Place half the dough in pot/oven; add sliced
cooked apple and sweeten with sugar. Cover with remaining
dough. Press edges together; cover and bake in the same way.

The three-legged iron pot is the origin of the term to make
"Pot luck" In country districts it is used for roasting,
stewing and for making cakes and bread. In Counties Limerick
and Cork it is also called a Bastable oven, and the bread
made in it a "Bastable Cake". Glowing turf (peat) sods are
put on top when baking or roasting is being done to ensure
even heat. The pot can be raised or lowered by a chain, and
three short feet enable it to stand at the side of the hearth.
----------------------------

Another: <http://breadnet.net/real-irish.html>

This is more austere than almost all the ISB I had in
Ireland. Typically, there were inclusions of one sort or
another, a bit more fat for crumb, as above.
GRANNIE FOSTER'S "REAL" IRISH SODA BREAD!!
I've read so many recipes for Irish Soda Bread and I can't
believe the things they've done to the soda bread real Irish
people make and eat.
IRISH SODA BREAD
o 1 CUP SELF-RISING FLOUR
o 1/2 TSP. SALT
o 1 TSP. BAKING SODA
o 1 CUP BUTTERMILK
Mix all ingredients together. Turn out onto lightly floured
surface. Knead for approximately 3 minutes. Shape into an 8"
round. Using a floured knife, cute round into quarters.
Lightly flour a round griddle (or electric frying pan if no
round griddle) and place soda farls on griddle, preheated to
350F. Cook each side approximatley 5 minutes. Stand each
farrel on end for approx. 2 minutes to make sure inside is
cooked.

THIS IS REAL IRISH SODA BREAD.

Delicious warm with butter and jam or cut farls in half and
in half again and fry in bacon grease until brown and
crispy. Serve with fried eggs, bacon, sausages, ham,
whaterver, and enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message

Hey Ranger How are you and the daughter units?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in

:
[snip]

> You'll have to post the recipe, I Googled for Charlies, but
> couldn't find anything.

Charlie Liam's Guiness Stout Beef Stew

INGREDIENTS:
2 lb. beef, cubed
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 lg onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups Guinness
2 cups carrot, chopped
2 cups potatoes, quartered
2 Bay leaves
1 "branch" Rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper. Dredge
beef and pat excess flour off. Heat oil in a deep skillet or Dutch
oven over medium-high heat.

Add the beef, browning on all sides; do not add complete 2-lb at
once -- stage for optimal browning. Set beef aside to "rest." Add
the onions; sautée. Add garlic; sautée. Add a small amount of water
to pan with rosemary and bay leaves. Add carrots and potatoes. Mix
in stout and beef (don't forget the juices from the beef!) Cover,
reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring
occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Serve with
heavy peasant bread or sour dough.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Clan Ranger's Daughter-units (was Irish Soda...)

Ophelia > wrote in message

> Hey Ranger How are you and the daughter units?)

Just fine, thank you very much.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Top posting because it was just too damned impressive to delete any
information.

Thanks Bob. Saved to be referenced for future cooking projects.

The Ranger

> [...]

> people make and eat.
> IRISH SODA BREAD
> o 1 CUP SELF-RISING FLOUR
> o 1/2 TSP. SALT
> o 1 TSP. BAKING SODA
> o 1 CUP BUTTERMILK
> Mix all ingredients together. Turn out onto lightly floured
> surface. Knead for approximately 3 minutes. Shape into an 8"
> round. Using a floured knife, cute round into quarters.
> Lightly flour a round griddle (or electric frying pan if no
> round griddle) and place soda farls on griddle, preheated to
> 350F. Cook each side approximatley 5 minutes. Stand each
> farrel on end for approx. 2 minutes to make sure inside is
> cooked.
>
> THIS IS REAL IRISH SODA BREAD.
>
> Delicious warm with butter and jam or cut farls in half and
> in half again and fry in bacon grease until brown and
> crispy. Serve with fried eggs, bacon, sausages, ham,

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Ophelia > wrote in message
>
> > Hey Ranger How are you and the daughter units?)

> Just fine, thank you very much.
>
> The Ranger

She may be missing some of your fun stories as much as I do. :-)

No "adventures" lately???
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Omelet > wrote in message
news [..]
> No "adventures" lately???

There've been plenty of adventures. I've just not had the time to
record them.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in news:12ogec2m6ercr21
@corp.supernews.com:

> PeterL > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in

> :
> [snip]

>> You'll have to post the recipe, I Googled for Charlies, but
>> couldn't find anything.

> Charlie Liam's Guiness Stout Beef Stew
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 lb. beef, cubed
> 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
> 4 Tbs. all-purpose flour
> 2 lg onions, chopped
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 1 1/2 cups Guinness
> 2 cups carrot, chopped
> 2 cups potatoes, quartered
> 2 Bay leaves
> 1 "branch" Rosemary
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> DIRECTIONS:
> Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper. Dredge
> beef and pat excess flour off. Heat oil in a deep skillet or Dutch
> oven over medium-high heat.
>
> Add the beef, browning on all sides; do not add complete 2-lb at
> once -- stage for optimal browning. Set beef aside to "rest." Add
> the onions; sautée. Add garlic; sautée. Add a small amount of water
> to pan with rosemary and bay leaves. Add carrots and potatoes. Mix
> in stout and beef (don't forget the juices from the beef!) Cover,
> reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring
> occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Serve with
> heavy peasant bread or sour dough.
>
> The Ranger

Thanks for that.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "The Ranger" > wrote:
>
>> Ophelia > wrote in message
>>
>> > Hey Ranger How are you and the daughter units?)

>> Just fine, thank you very much.
>>
>> The Ranger

> She may be missing some of your fun stories as much as I do. :-)

Yes I am)

Come on Ranger... I am sure they are as lovely as ever

> No "adventures" lately???

There must be some

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Omelet > wrote in message
> news > [..]
>> No "adventures" lately???

> There've been plenty of adventures. I've just not had the time to
> record them.

Well when you do, please make sure they come across to alt.bread.recipes
too)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in
> ...Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper....

Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Bruce wrote:
> "The Ranger" > wrote in
>> ...Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper....

> Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?

Brand of disposable plastic storage bag with a zipper closure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Bruce > wrote in
:

> "The Ranger" > wrote in
>> ...Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper....

> Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?

It's a 'zip-lock' plastic bag..... but you can use any plastic bag you
want, just so's you can get the stuff in and throw it around to coat it
without spreading it all over the kitchen :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
> Bruce > wrote in
> :
>
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in
>>> ...Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and pepper....

>> Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?

> It's a 'zip-lock' plastic bag..... but you can use any plastic bag you
> want, just so's you can get the stuff in and throw it around to coat it
> without spreading it all over the kitchen :-)

Before there were plastic bags, there were kraft paper lunch bags (or
any larger size one might have around the kitchen if one didn't have
lunch bags). As long as you fold the top over and don't let go, a paper
bag works just as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default Ziploc (was Irish Soda Vs. Damper Bread)

Bruce > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in
> > ...Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and

pepper....

> Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?

/boggle

Oh great and mighty Google, I ask of you, nay, beseach you, for
enlightenment and understanding. "Ziploc" -- what is it?

The Great Oracle immediately brings forth:
http://www.ziploc.com/
(First -- and only -- hit.)

"Cube beef" means to cut a slab o' beef into cubes, small enough to
eat, large enough not to confuse with ground meat.

HTH.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

:

pepper....
> >> Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?

> > It's a 'zip-lock' plastic bag..... but you can use any plastic

bag you
> > want, just so's you can get the stuff in and throw it around to

coat it
> > without spreading it all over the kitchen :-)

> Before there were plastic bags, there were kraft paper lunch bags

(or
> any larger size one might have around the kitchen if one didn't

have
> lunch bags). As long as you fold the top over and don't let go, a

paper
> bag works just as well.

A plate or bowl worked, too. I don't like cleaning up the counter,
though, of "dust" so the Ziploc is used quite a bit in Clan Ranger
for dredging.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in
:

> A plate or bowl worked, too. I don't like cleaning up the counter,
> though, of "dust" so the Ziploc is used quite a bit in Clan Ranger
> for dredging.

LOL!! I've used thinner plastic bags....... *twice*.

Never again!!

It looked like a white Christmas in my kitchen!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

:
> > A plate or bowl worked, too. I don't like cleaning up
> > the counter, though, of "dust" so the Ziploc is used
> > quite a bit in Clan Ranger for dredging.
> >

> LOL!! I've used thinner plastic bags....... *twice*.

I'd say that my learning curve, on _this_ particular topic was
significantly better.

There are other areas that require similar Pavlovianesque training,
though.

> Never again!!
>
> It looked like a white Christmas in my kitchen!!

I believe you on the "white" but not necessarily "Christmas." Be
happy you don't know any DEA agents.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"The Ranger" > wrote in news:12oh3gbjau2hcc8
@corp.supernews.com:

> PeterL > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in

> :
>> > A plate or bowl worked, too. I don't like cleaning up
>> > the counter, though, of "dust" so the Ziploc is used
>> > quite a bit in Clan Ranger for dredging.
>> >

>> LOL!! I've used thinner plastic bags....... *twice*.

> I'd say that my learning curve, on _this_ particular topic was
> significantly better.

Back then it was a case of 'that was all I had' and I had to get the damn
stuff dredged :-)

>> It looked like a white Christmas in my kitchen!!

> I believe you on the "white" but not necessarily "Christmas." Be
> happy you don't know any DEA agents.

When I was living in CA, I did :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

The Ranger wrote:
> Bruce > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in
>>> ...Cube beef and toss into Ziploc with flour, salt and

> pepper....
>> Ziploc? Beef stock or a type of pan?

> /boggle
>
> Oh great and mighty Google, I ask of you, nay, beseach you, for
> enlightenment and understanding. "Ziploc" -- what is it?
>
> The Great Oracle immediately brings forth:
> http://www.ziploc.com/
> (First -- and only -- hit.)
>
> "Cube beef" means to cut a slab o' beef into cubes, small enough to
> eat, large enough not to confuse with ground meat.

Language is a strange beast is it not?
Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 979,000 for ziploc
When I read that ziploc was a type of plastic bag I thought I'd
misunderstood the recipe and wondered why you needed a plastic bag when
you wished to coat some cubed beef in flour etc.
Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 593,000 for "ground meat"
I now know that ground meat is what I think of as minced meat (not to be
confused with mincemeat <g>)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Bruce > wrote in
:

> Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 593,000 for "ground meat"
> I now know that ground meat is what I think of as minced meat (not to be
> confused with mincemeat <g>)

Ahhhhhhhh, someone who speaks my language!!! ;-)

But we called it minced meat or mince, or mincemeat.

As opposed to *fruit* mince..... which I'm making at the moment.

Just checking to see that the Kahlua and tequila are still good......
HIC!!!