Posted to rec.food.baking

Default UK yeast query

We live on a remote island in Orkney, Scotland. My wife has made her own
bread using Harvest Gold "fast action dried yeast" (in 6g sachets) for
several years but our village shop now tells us their wholesalers cannot
get any more supplies. Has anyone else had difficulty in obtaining
Harvest Gold dried yeast?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce > wrote:

> We live on a remote island in Orkney, Scotland. My wife has made her own
> bread using Harvest Gold "fast action dried yeast" (in 6g sachets) for
> several years but our village shop now tells us their wholesalers cannot
> get any more supplies. Has anyone else had difficulty in obtaining
> Harvest Gold dried yeast?

Yes - I used to get it from our local Morrisons, but they don't seem to
have it any more either. I get equally good results using Hovis fast
action dried yeast sachets (7g I think) which seem to be widely
available, in a box of 6 sachets. Perhaps the shop's wholesalers might
be able to get this instead?

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.baking

Debbie Wilson wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
>
>> We live on a remote island in Orkney, Scotland. My wife has made her own
>> bread using Harvest Gold "fast action dried yeast" (in 6g sachets) for
>> several years but our village shop now tells us their wholesalers cannot
>> get any more supplies. Has anyone else had difficulty in obtaining
>> Harvest Gold dried yeast?

> Yes - I used to get it from our local Morrisons, but they don't seem to
> have it any more either. I get equally good results using Hovis fast
> action dried yeast sachets (7g I think) which seem to be widely
> available, in a box of 6 sachets. Perhaps the shop's wholesalers might
> be able to get this instead?

Thanks Deb. Maureen has tried the Hovis yeast (still easily available)
but says it does not seem to be anywhere near as effective as Harvest Gold.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue"
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce > wrote:

> Thanks Deb. Maureen has tried the Hovis yeast (still easily available)
> but says it does not seem to be anywhere near as effective as Harvest Gold.

Ah - sorry, then, I can't advise anything else to try. I know Homepride
also do fast-acting yeast in sachets, though I've never tried it -
perhaps worth investigating? I wonder if it's even the same thing, but
rebranded?

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.baking

Debbie Wilson wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
>
>> Thanks Deb. Maureen has tried the Hovis yeast (still easily available)
>> but says it does not seem to be anywhere near as effective as Harvest Gold.

> Ah - sorry, then, I can't advise anything else to try. I know Homepride
> also do fast-acting yeast in sachets, though I've never tried it -
> perhaps worth investigating? I wonder if it's even the same thing, but
> rebranded?
>
> Deb.

I did find a "Harvest Gold" website <www.harvest-gold-wholefoods.co.uk>
advertising "Yeast Granules Dried For Bread Making - 57g Price: £0.99".
I've sent them an email but it may be something completely different.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"

Posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce > wrote:

> I did find a "Harvest Gold" website <www.harvest-gold-wholefoods.co.uk>
> advertising "Yeast Granules Dried For Bread Making - 57g Price: £0.99".
> I've sent them an email but it may be something completely different.

Certainly worth a try - good luck!

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.baking

Debbie Wilson wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
>
>> I did find a "Harvest Gold" website <www.harvest-gold-wholefoods.co.uk>
>> advertising "Yeast Granules Dried For Bread Making - 57g Price: £0.99".
>> I've sent them an email but it may be something completely different.

> Certainly worth a try - good luck!
>
> Deb.

Since moving up here nearly three years ago we've come to rely more &
more on the web for the more exotic supplies!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
(Remove teeth to reply)
"Some days you are the pigeon. Some days you are the statue"
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce wrote:
> We live on a remote island in Orkney, Scotland. My wife has made her own
> bread using Harvest Gold "fast action dried yeast" (in 6g sachets) for
> several years but our village shop now tells us their wholesalers cannot
> get any more supplies. Has anyone else had difficulty in obtaining
> Harvest Gold dried yeast?

I discovered that HomePride <www.homeprideflour.co.uk/> produces Harvest
Gold Yeast so I sent them an email asking if there was a problem with
obtaining supplies? The response from > was
as follows:
"Thank you for your contact. I am sorry to disappoint you but Harvest
Gold Yeast is only now sold in Morrisons stores and I understand that
you do not have Morrisons in Orkney. I am sorry that I could not be of
more help."
Fortunately we have some friends who live near a Morrisons supermarket
so we shall be able to obtain supplies.