Posted to rec.food.baking

Default oatmeal raisin cookie trouble

hello all,

seems every time we make these, they want to burn on the edges, all the
while the middle is uncooked and more times than not the entire cookie ends
up "flattening" (appears the cookie is melting rather than cooking) out so
far that it just turns out to be a gigantic mess in the pan. the end result
is so far from what one would expect that it seems unfathomable that we
actually followed the recipe.

it's the recipe out of the much-hailed "better homes and gardens cook
book" - we're following it EXACTLY as it is stated.

it calls from 3/4 cups of butter - doesn't say butter or margarine so we
used the real thing. for some reason we suspect the butter has something to
do with it. the results were so bad i'm not sure it's accurate to blame any
one ingrediant.

please help - my kids are losing confidence in me

Posted to rec.food.baking

Possibly, your butter is too soft. After mixing the cookie dough, place it
into the refrigerator for a few minutes to chill it and firm it up.

I like using a cookie scoop to speed up my work and get uniform size
cookies.

I love oatmeal cookies, usually use a recipe right on the box of oatmeal.

Rina

"brickled" > wrote in message
news
> hello all,
>
> seems every time we make these, they want to burn on the edges, all the
> while the middle is uncooked and more times than not the entire cookie
> ends
> up "flattening" (appears the cookie is melting rather than cooking) out so
> far that it just turns out to be a gigantic mess in the pan. the end
> result
> is so far from what one would expect that it seems unfathomable that we
> actually followed the recipe.

Posted to rec.food.baking

hard to tell without the whole recipe. If butter is too blame, I'd say it
is because you are using too much butter and then baking too long. wendy
> seems every time we make these, they want to burn on the edges, all the
> while the middle is uncooked and more times than not the entire cookie

ends
> up "flattening" (appears the cookie is melting rather than cooking) out so
> far that it just turns out to be a gigantic mess in the pan. the end

result
> is so far from what one would expect that it seems unfathomable that we
> actually followed the recipe.
>
> it's the recipe out of the much-hailed "better homes and gardens cook
> book" - we're following it EXACTLY as it is stated.
>
> it calls from 3/4 cups of butter - doesn't say butter or margarine so we
> used the real thing. for some reason we suspect the butter has something

> do with it. the results were so bad i'm not sure it's accurate to blame

any
> one ingrediant.
>
> please help - my kids are losing confidence in me

then reply to the confirmation request.