Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pizza Crispper

Has anyone tried a pizza crispper? What were the results? I assume one does
not have to use a stone if one uses a crispper. Is that correct? Also, can a
pizza crispper be used for anything else? Possibly potatoes? Any help is
appreciated. Thanks
Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

I've never heard of this. How does it work?

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried a pizza crispper? What were the results? I assume one
> does not have to use a stone if one uses a crispper. Is that correct?
> Also, can a pizza crispper be used for anything else? Possibly potatoes?
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks
> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

Viviane, pizza crispers are made by several companies, Cuisinart, KitchenAid
etc. Here's a link to amazon that should answer any question you may. But it
doesn't answer the one question I have: What else can it be used for besides
pizza?
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-II-.../dp/B00009XFWY

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> I've never heard of this. How does it work?
>
> "Frank103" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone tried a pizza crispper? What were the results? I assume one
>> does not have to use a stone if one uses a crispper. Is that correct?
>> Also, can a pizza crispper be used for anything else? Possibly potatoes?
>> Any help is appreciated. Thanks
>> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

There are 5 reviews of the Cuisinart pizza crisper on Amazon and each person
gave it 5 stars. So maybe there's something to it. Or maybe each of the
reviewers worked for Cuisinart. Who knows? Decide for yourself.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...4507&s=kitchen

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> Viviane, pizza crispers are made by several companies, Cuisinart,
> KitchenAid etc. Here's a link to amazon that should answer any question
> you may. But it doesn't answer the one question I have: What else can it
> be used for besides pizza?
> http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-II-.../dp/B00009XFWY
>
> "Viviane" > wrote in message
>> I've never heard of this. How does it work?
>>
>> "Frank103" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone tried a pizza crispper? What were the results? I assume one
>>> does not have to use a stone if one uses a crispper. Is that correct?
>>> Also, can a pizza crispper be used for anything else? Possibly potatoes?
>>> Any help is appreciated. Thanks
>>> Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:56:24 -0700
"Frank103" > wrote:

> Viviane, pizza crispers are made by several companies, Cuisinart,
> KitchenAid etc. Here's a link to amazon that should answer any
> question you may. But it doesn't answer the one question I have: What
> else can it be used for besides pizza?

Anything you want to be exposed to the air in the oven on the bottom.

Obviously that excludes thin batters. The rest is up to you.

I've used something similar. It didn't give me the results I'd hoped
it would, and i found it to be difficult to clean - cheese and other
crud gets stuck in the holes. Mine had smaller holes than the one you
link to, and so was probably harder to clean.

I use a fibrament slab these days, but if i were to go that direction
again I would probably just go to a restaurant supply and buy some pizza
screens.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> Viviane, pizza crispers are made by several companies, Cuisinart, KitchenAid
> etc. Here's a link to amazon that should answer any question you may. But it
> doesn't answer the one question I have: What else can it be used for besides
> pizza?

You can use it on your outdoor grill for vegetables.

Another newsgroup posted that pizza can be reheated crisply in a
non-stick skillet on the stovetop.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Puester wrote:

> Frank103 wrote:
> > Viviane, pizza crispers are made by several companies, Cuisinart, KitchenAid
> > etc. Here's a link to amazon that should answer any question you may. But it
> > doesn't answer the one question I have: What else can it be used for besides
> > pizza?

> You can use it on your outdoor grill for vegetables.
>
> Another newsgroup posted that pizza can be reheated crisply in a
> non-stick skillet on the stovetop.
>
> gloria p

Must be either anidea whose time is right, or another idiot like I was
calling myself:

I've been eating pizza, fresh and reheated, for probably over 40 years.
The other day, I tossed a couple slices in a skillet at lunch time. It
didn't hurt that the skillet had a tiny bit of browned butter film left
from breakfast, but I was kicking myself for not having thought of it
before! Works great with the lid on, as it warms the toppings through at
the same time the base crisps up...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried a pizza crispper? What were the results? I assume one
> does not have to use a stone if one uses a crispper. Is that correct?
> Also, can a pizza crispper be used for anything else? Possibly potatoes?
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks
> Frank

It can't work. You must have something that will hold heat to bake pizza.
You need a heavy stone. There is a striking difference between the 5lb stone
I bought at Macy's and the 30lb stone I bought at the local restaurant
supply house. Heat the stone up for a full 45 min. at 550F. The pizza should
cook in 6-8 minutes. Spray H2O mist in to mimick a baker's oven.

Kent
..

Posted to rec.food.baking

I use something similar on my grill for small items... veggies, scallops,
shrimp etc.

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> Viviane, pizza crispers are made by several companies, Cuisinart,
> KitchenAid etc. Here's a link to amazon that should answer any question
> you may. But it doesn't answer the one question I have: What else can it
> be used for besides pizza?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Did you ever try reheating french fries that way? I was making a hamburger
and remembered sole leftover restaurant fries, when I tossed them in the fry
pan they were great!

> The other day, I tossed a couple slices in a skillet at lunch time. It
> didn't hurt that the skillet had a tiny bit of browned butter film left
> from breakfast, but I was kicking myself for not having thought of it
> before!

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:11:38 -0700, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>It
>didn't hurt that the skillet had a tiny bit of browned butter film left
>from breakfast, but I was kicking myself for not having thought of it
>before!

I have been using the same Lodge cast iron skillet for thirty years
now. Didn't have to buy anything new either! It is the only was to
reheat pizza.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:45:02 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>.... Spray H2O mist in to mimick a baker's oven.

Have you ever seen a pizza place spray water into their ovens? I haven't.

Water vapor is used to crisp up the top crust of breads, including baguettes,
but that's about it. Don't see how it would do anyhthing for a pizza.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.baking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:45:02 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>.... Spray H2O mist in to mimick a baker's oven.

> Have you ever seen a pizza place spray water into their ovens? I haven't.
>
> Water vapor is used to crisp up the top crust of breads, including
> baguettes,
> but that's about it. Don't see how it would do anyhthing for a pizza.
>
> -- Larry

Pizza places use a baker's oven, which sprays H20, creating a high humidity
environment. This crisps the crust, as it does with any bread. The mist at
home attempts to do the same thing. It does give you a crisper, more nicely
browned crust.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:45:20 -0700
"Kent" > wrote:

> Pizza places use a baker's oven, which sprays H20, creating a high
> humidity environment. This crisps the crust, as it does with any
> bread. The mist at home attempts to do the same thing. It does give
> you a crisper, more nicely browned crust.

Good pizzarias use a pizza oven, with a deck temperature around 720
degrees, and a bake time around 90 seconds. The really good ones are
fired with fruit wood.

I've worked in the back at Pizzahut, and they use a conveyor
convection oven, at about 550 degrees, and a bake time of a few minutes.

In neither case is there any humidity enhancement, but the baking
conditions are far beyond normal baking conditions.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:33:30 -0600, Eric Jorgensen > wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:45:20 -0700
>"Kent" > wrote:
>>
>> Pizza places use a baker's oven, which sprays H20, creating a high
>> humidity environment. This crisps the crust, as it does with any
>> bread. The mist at home attempts to do the same thing. It does give
>> you a crisper, more nicely browned crust.

> Good pizzarias use a pizza oven, with a deck temperature around 720
>degrees, and a bake time around 90 seconds. The really good ones are
>fired with fruit wood.
>
> I've worked in the back at Pizzahut, and they use a conveyor
>convection oven, at about 550 degrees, and a bake time of a few minutes.
>
> In neither case is there any humidity enhancement, but the baking
>conditions are far beyond normal baking conditions.

I've checked both my favorite local piiza shops. One uses a wood over (Faccia
Luna), and one uses gas (Quattro Formaggi). Neither adds any moisture.

My home oven gets to 550 in convection mode, which does a very good job without
adding moisture. My wife does add moisture when she makes baguettes, usually in
the form of ice cubes into a try set on the bake stone.

My outdoor grill gets up to 700+ with all three burners blasting, which works
great for both grilled and bakestone pizzas. No moisture added in either case.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

I have one and I absolutely love it! The holes allow the bottom to brown
and crisp.
I have regular pans and won't use them any more after using this kind of
pizza pan.

dizzi

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:29:06 -0700
"Frank103" > wrote:

> Has anyone tried a pizza crispper? What were the results? I assume one
> does not have to use a stone if one uses a crispper. Is that correct?
> Also, can a pizza crispper be used for anything else? Possibly
> potatoes? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Wait a second.

I bake potatoes right on the oven rack itself, and grab them off with
tongs.

No sense putting something between them and the rack.
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Kent" > wrote in
:

> It can't work. You must have something that will hold heat to bake
> pizza.

No, you don't people have been baking pizza at home for years with pizza
pans, not stones.. Sure Stones and/or Cast Iron is better, but not
nessecary. The holes in the bottom of the pan do aid in crust crisping,
but again, Cast Iron or Stone is better for the job.