Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Vegetarian Subst for Fish Sauce?

Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good Pad
Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.asian

minosagape > wrote:
> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good
> Pad Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
> Thanks.

As far as I know, there is no substitute for Fish Sauce (Nam Pla) in Thai
cooking.

You might experiment with whisking together soy sauce and a thin vegetable
oil, although I've never tried this. Keep us informed.

BTW What do you use instead of shrimp or meat in your Pad Thai?

Posted to alt.food.asian
Roy Roy is offline

>While it may not fit the strict definition of vegetarian as it is
>derived form extract of animal feet, no animals were harmed in
>the process.

LOL! Gotcha!!!

Posted to alt.food.asian

X-No-Archive

> minosagape > wrote:
>> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
>> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good
>> Pad Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
>> Thanks.

> As far as I know, there is no substitute for Fish Sauce (Nam Pla) in Thai
> cooking.
>
> You might experiment with whisking together soy sauce and a thin vegetable
> oil, although I've never tried this. Keep us informed.
>
> BTW What do you use instead of shrimp or meat in your Pad Thai?

When making Pad Thai (still w/egg), I often just omit the meat or shrimp.
Occasionally I'll use cubed sauteed tofu, from which I've first pressed out
most of the water (whole square of tufu between folded sheets of paper towel
and then placed under a heavy book).

Thanks for writing.

Posted to alt.food.asian

X-No-Archive

> On Sat, 06 May 2006 11:22:11 -0400, minosagape wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
>> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good Pad
>> Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
>> Thanks.

> Wear the same pair of socks for 3 weeks, making sure you go out
> in the rain a few times. After 3 weeks, remove and simmer the
> socks in a quart of water for 20 minutes with the lid on. Remove
> socks, wring them out in the pan, and bottle the resulting liquid
> for use as a table sauce. This is the first pressing.
>
> Then put the still-damp socks in a zip-lock bag and store in a
> warm place for another 2 weeks. Repeat the simmering process
> once more. This is known as the second pressing and the
> resulting liquid is used only for cooking rather than a finishing
> sauce.
>
> While it may not fit the strict definition of vegetarian as it is
> derived form extract of animal feet, no animals were harmed in
> the process.
>
> -sw

Should smell about the same as fish sauce.

Posted to alt.food.asian

minosagape wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 16:14:55 -0400:

??>> minosagape > wrote:
??>>> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible
??>>> vegetarian alternative to Fish Sauce, and if so, where I
??>>> might order it online? I make pretty good Pad Thai using
??>>> Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it. Thanks.
??>>
??>> As far as I know, there is no substitute for Fish Sauce
??>> (Nam Pla) in Thai cooking.
??>>
??>> You might experiment with whisking together soy sauce and
??>> a thin vegetable oil, although I've never tried this. Keep
??>> us informed.
??>>
??>> BTW What do you use instead of shrimp or meat in your Pad
??>> Thai?

m> When making Pad Thai (still w/egg), I often just omit the
m> meat or shrimp. Occasionally I'll use cubed sauteed tofu,
m> from which I've first pressed out most of the water (whole
m> square of tufu between folded sheets of paper towel and then
m> placed under a heavy book).

It's quite a traditional Japanese thing (in winter of course
years ago) to do but freezing tofu for a few days and then
allowing to thaw removes the water and gives a firm texture. (Is
it sometimes called Buddhist duck?) Tofu prepared this way can
be bought but I've not seen it outside Japanese stores.

James Silverton.

Posted to alt.food.asian

writes:

>minosagape > wrote:
>> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
>> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good
>> Pad Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
>> Thanks.

>As far as I know, there is no substitute for Fish Sauce (Nam Pla) in Thai
>cooking.

>You might experiment with whisking together soy sauce and a thin vegetable
>oil, although I've never tried this. Keep us informed.

Fish sauce basically has three properties: saltiness, umami (glutamate)
and fishiness.

Soy sauce, miso, and "liquid aminos" all have the first two. Seaweed
has fishiness (and some kinds, like wakame, are full of umami too).

So, you can substitute those, *or* you can make your own fake fish
sauce, by boiling seaweed and then making a sort of stock (with garlic,
black peppercorns, and soy sauce or miso) then reducing it until it
tastes horrible.

Horrible like fish sauce tastes, on its own. It's fine for
cooking, though.

I've also steeped seaweed, garlic and chopped hot peppers in a
rice wine vinegar/lime juice mix, which makes a good nam prik
(particularly if you add some MSG to it).

--
"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of sXXXch, Joe
... or the right of the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to Bay
Posted to alt.food.asian
Abe Abe is offline

>>> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
>>> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online?

http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html
Posted to alt.food.asian

Abe > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
> http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html

Thanks, Abe. Two great resources. While I'm not a vegetarian, every now and
then this question comes up. Nice to be able to offer references.

Posted to alt.food.asian

> http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
> http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html

Thanks for the responses. Now I can make Pad Thai and eat it along with my
guests. Or maybe I'll make an entire recipe all for myself.

Posted to alt.food.asian

I like the idea of sea weed. But to provide the fermented taste of
fish sauce I suggest adding a little fermented black bean paste or
maybe some aged tofu. That with seaweed should do the trick.

minosagape wrote:

> > http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
> > http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html

> Thanks for the responses. Now I can make Pad Thai and eat it along with my
> guests. Or maybe I'll make an entire recipe all for myself.

Posted to alt.food.asian

Thanks for the suggestion. I have fermented black beans but not the paste.
Do you think that might be a workable substitute?

VC
vermont

> I like the idea of sea weed. But to provide the fermented taste of
> fish sauce I suggest adding a little fermented black bean paste or
> maybe some aged tofu. That with seaweed should do the trick.

>>> http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
>>> http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html

>> Thanks for the responses. Now I can make Pad Thai and eat it along with my
>> guests. Or maybe I'll make an entire recipe all for myself.

Posted to alt.food.asian

In article >,
says...

http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html
> > http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/fish-sauce.html

> Thanks for the responses. Now I can make Pad Thai and eat it along with my
> guests. Or maybe I'll make an entire recipe all for myself.

I know that you were asking for online sources, presumably because you
don't have ready access to an asian grocer. If you ever find your way
near one, ask the owner for the vegetarian nam pla (Thai) or nuoc mam
(Vietnamese). Tell them that you are Buddhist, or if you know some
Buddhists, ask them what they use. I know from experience from the local
Buddhist temple that something suitable for vegetarians is labelled
"Chay" in Vietnamese, as in Nuoc Mam Chay, and often has a star or symbol
beside the "Chay" to highlight it. The ones I have actually used are
actually the dipping sauce itself, Nuoc Cham, as opposed to the Nuoc Mam
(fish sauce) it is made from.

Dennis
Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Vegetarian Fish Sauce Source

> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good Pad
> Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
> Thanks.

I just learned that Green Mountain Asian Market (greenmountainasian.com)
sells Vegetarian Fish Sauce for $2.89 (22 oz). It's called nuoc mam an chay.
The link to the fish suace on their website:
https://www.greenmountainasian.com/s...php?products_i
d=305
You can also call Tracey at 802-738-9288 and place a phone order. She's
terrific, full of information and always interested in feedback as well as
knowing what her customers would like her to carry.
Happy Thai cooking.

VC
Vermont

Posted to alt.food.asian

In article >,
says...

> > Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
> > Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good Pad
> > Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
> > Thanks.
> >

> I just learned that Green Mountain Asian Market (greenmountainasian.com)
> sells Vegetarian Fish Sauce for $2.89 (22 oz). It's called nuoc mam an chay.
> The link to the fish suace on their website:

https://www.greenmountainasian.com/s...php?products_i
> d=305
> You can also call Tracey at 802-738-9288 and place a phone order. She's
> terrific, full of information and always interested in feedback as well as
> knowing what her customers would like her to carry.
> Happy Thai cooking.
>
> VC
> Vermont

Since there is a large population of Buddhists in Vietnam, there are
also many vegetarians. "An Chay" (usually in red with a big "check
mark" on a Vietnamese product is an indication that it is suitable for
vegetarians, and specifically Buddhists. My bosses at work are involved
with a Vietnamese Buddhist temple a few blocks from our store. They help
pick up the groceries for the weekly communal meal at the temple, and no
meat products at all can be allowed in the door. I get to see and sample
a lot of Vegan friendly Vietnamese foods this way.

Dennis

Posted to alt.food.asian

On 5/6/06 11:22 AM, minosagape wrote:
> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good Pad
> Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
> Thanks.

I use an "oyster mushroom" sauce I order from Amazon.com.