Posted to alt.food.asian
ian

Default Chiang Mai Curry paste question

Hi -

I am making Chiang Mai curry tonight. My David Thompson 'Thai Food' book
wants me to start from scratch to make the curry paste, but I am willing
to sacrifice some of the quality of the result by using a commercial paste.

From the web, I get the idea that a panang curry paste or a red one
would be acceptable for this dish - does this seem reasonable? And
should it be modified in any way to approach closer to the
'from-scratch' approach?

[The dish appears to be called 'kaeng hang le' or 'HUNG - LAY' in Thai].

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian
ian

ian wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am making Chiang Mai curry tonight. My David Thompson 'Thai Food' book
> wants me to start from scratch to make the curry paste, but I am willing
> to sacrifice some of the quality of the result by using a commercial paste.
>
> From the web, I get the idea that a panang curry paste or a red one
> would be acceptable for this dish - does this seem reasonable? And
> should it be modified in any way to approach closer to the
> 'from-scratch' approach?
>
> [The dish appears to be called 'kaeng hang le' or 'HUNG - LAY' in Thai].
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
>
> Ian

Well, I compared the Chiang Mai curry paste recipe to recipes for the
others(Panag & Red), and could see that they were not the same thing at
all. What I would have ended up with would not have been the dish I set
out to make.

I have now made the CM curry paste, and what a job it was, turning my
evening dinner prep into a two-day affair. The paste tastes delicious,
however, and I am glad that I did this. Its clearly the heart of the
dish, and I now have high hopes that it might come out something like a
great meal I had in CM, at Aroon Rai.

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian
EastneyEnder

ian wrote:

> I have now made the CM curry paste, and what a job it was, turning my
> evening dinner prep into a two-day affair. The paste tastes delicious,
> however, and I am glad that I did this. Its clearly the heart of the
> dish, and I now have high hopes that it might come out something like a
> great meal I had in CM, at Aroon Rai.

Ahhh.... you have been to Arun Rai as well I fell in love with the Chiang
Mai sausages there, which I had for breakfast. Still meaning to try & make
some now I have found a recipe.
--
Sue in Portsmouth,
"Old" Hampshire,

Posted to alt.food.asian
ian

EastneyEnder wrote:

> ian wrote:
>

>>I have now made the CM curry paste, and what a job it was, turning my
>>evening dinner prep into a two-day affair. The paste tastes delicious,
>>however, and I am glad that I did this. Its clearly the heart of the
>>dish, and I now have high hopes that it might come out something like a
>>great meal I had in CM, at Aroon Rai.

> Ahhh.... you have been to Arun Rai as well I fell in love with the Chiang
> Mai sausages there, which I had for breakfast. Still meaning to try & make
> some now I have found a recipe.

Yes indeed. I tried it my second night in CM, then ate there most nights
for the remainder of my stay, since I knew I could depend on eating
something great every time. I tend to avoid sausages, so I never tried
theirs, unfortunately.

My CM Pork Curry came out very well indeed, though since I tripled
everything it took a huge amount of work, and I may have to freeze some
of it, since the size of the non-meat ingredients was much more than I
expected.

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian
Ken Berry

EastneyEnder wrote:
> ian wrote:
>

>>I have now made the CM curry paste, and what a job it was, turning my
>>evening dinner prep into a two-day affair. The paste tastes delicious,
>>however, and I am glad that I did this. Its clearly the heart of the
>>dish, and I now have high hopes that it might come out something like a
>>great meal I had in CM, at Aroon Rai.

> Ahhh.... you have been to Arun Rai as well I fell in love with the Chiang
> Mai sausages there, which I had for breakfast. Still meaning to try & make
> some now I have found a recipe.

Could you please post the Chiang Mai sausage recipe. I fell in love with
those little treasures the first time I had them, but can't find
anything like them here in Australia!

Ken Berry

Posted to alt.food.asian
EastneyEnder

Ken Berry wrote:
> Could you please post the Chiang Mai sausage recipe. I fell in love with
> those little treasures the first time I had them, but can't find
> anything like them here in Australia!

I found the recipe he
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16154.asp
but haven't made them yet myself... so no idea how authentic they are.

--
Sue in Portsmouth,
"Old" Hampshire,

--------------------------
Chiang Mai Sausage

1 lb. Pork (butt) - minced/diced
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 cup garlic - minced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves - chopped
1 tsp cilantro root/stems -chopped
1/4 tsp peppercorns - canned
1 Tablespoon lemon grass - chopped
1/2 tsp Galangal chopped
1 Tablespoon shallot - minced
2 Tablespoons red curry paste
6 Thai Chiles minced
6 pair Kaffir Lime leaves - finely sliced
Sausage casing - prepared

Combine all ingredients but pork- pound into a paste. Mix paste and pork
thoroughly. Force into sausage casing and tie-off in 4" lengths. You can
form into patties and grill.Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend.

This is served fried with fresh Thai Chiles, Basil, and sticky rice.

Red Curry Paste Sigrid Shepard Recipes 0 11-06-2008 06:39 PM
Using curry paste The Golfer's Wife General Cooking 1 27-03-2008 02:21 AM
question about fish paste and shrimp paste Amanda Asian Cooking 4 17-06-2006 02:20 AM
Green Curry Paste International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 14-06-2005 04:01 AM
Red Curry Paste Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-02-2005 12:33 PM