"Musashi" > wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> > Musashi wrote:
> > > I ultimately arrived at the enlightened view that a mollusk is a

> mollusk.
> >
> > I don't like all mollusks in raw form. I don't like raw cherrystones
> > and giant clam that much. I enjoy all others..
> >
> > > Nevertheless I watched a chipmunk last week in my backyard stuff a
> > > slug

> into
> > > his mouth and it grossed me out.

> > Yeah, that's pretty gross. Do slugs cook up like snails? They seem a
> > bit more mushy to me.
> >

> It is my understanding that a slug is really not much more than a land
> snail without a shell.
> If so, yes, I think they wuld cook up like any snail. They arent mushy,
> just slimy.

Feed them oatmeal for a week before ya cook 'em.
Firms 'em up and makes 'em sweet.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:

> > mollusk.
> >
> >>I don't like all mollusks in raw form. I don't like raw cherrystones

and
> >>giant clam that much. I enjoy all others..

> > into

> >>Yeah, that's pretty gross. Do slugs cook up like snails? They seem a
> >>bit more mushy to me.

> > It is my understanding that a slug is really not much more than a land

snail
> > without a shell.
> > If so, yes, I think they wuld cook up like any snail. They arent mushy,

just
> > slimy.

> I've salted a few as a kid (last year) and I didn't see much meat to

them..
> I remember being told to eat them if lost in the woods. I'm thinking I'd

have
> to be starving (for real) to get to that point.

ahaha..yes slugs are a problem in my wife's garden. In Japan people put beer
in a small cup
and they say the slugs are attacted to it, then fall into the cup and drown
in the beer, I don't know
if it works or not. Also since salt kills slugs by sucking the water out of
them, in theory they should also
die if your pour sugar or any other dry absorbant powder on them. Again, I
haven't bothered to
try this.
I agree that I wouldn't want to eat a slug unless I absolutely had to. Their
extreme sliminess really
turns me off but if Unagi is an indicator, that slime should dissappear when
hit with heat.

Musashi

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:

> > mollusk.
> > >
> > > I don't like all mollusks in raw form. I don't like raw cherrystones
> > > and giant clam that much. I enjoy all others..

> > into
> > >
> > > Yeah, that's pretty gross. Do slugs cook up like snails? They seem a
> > > bit more mushy to me.
> > >

> > It is my understanding that a slug is really not much more than a land
> > snail without a shell.
> > If so, yes, I think they wuld cook up like any snail. They arent mushy,
> > just slimy.
> >

> Feed them oatmeal for a week before ya cook 'em.
> Firms 'em up and makes 'em sweet.

At the risk of exposing my cluelessness, sometimes I can't tell if you are
kidding or not.
Because that does make sense.

"Musashi" > wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> > Musashi wrote:

> > > mollusk.

> and

> > > into

> > > It is my understanding that a slug is really not much more than a
> > > land

> snail
> > > without a shell.
> > > If so, yes, I think they wuld cook up like any snail. They arent
> > > mushy,

> just
> > > slimy.

> > I've salted a few as a kid (last year) and I didn't see much meat to

> them..
> > I remember being told to eat them if lost in the woods. I'm thinking
> > I'd

> have
> > to be starving (for real) to get to that point.
> >

> ahaha..yes slugs are a problem in my wife's garden. In Japan people put
> beer in a small cup
> and they say the slugs are attacted to it, then fall into the cup and
> drown in the beer, I don't know
> if it works or not.

Put the beer in a pie plate. Larger perimeter and less of a climb. It
works.

< Also since salt kills slugs by sucking the water out
> . . .
> I agree that I wouldn't want to eat a slug unless I absolutely had to.
> Their extreme sliminess really
> turns me off but if Unagi is an indicator, that slime should dissappear
> when hit with heat.

Ok. What about moths, which are something like 90% fat and 10% protein?
During peak feeding periods, in Glacier Park, when moths are abundant,
bears eat approx. 40,000 moths/day.

The Doomed Donner Party ate almost nothing but rabbits during the winter of
1846-7.

If they had eaten moths, as well, many more might have survived.

"Musashi" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > > mollusk.

> > > into

> > > It is my understanding that a slug is really not much more than a
> > > land snail without a shell.
> > > If so, yes, I think they wuld cook up like any snail. They arent
> > > mushy, just slimy.
> > >

> > Feed them oatmeal for a week before ya cook 'em.
> > Firms 'em up and makes 'em sweet.
> >

> At the risk of exposing my cluelessness, sometimes I can't tell if you
> are kidding or not.
> Because that does make sense.

An old Texas buddy, who disappeared into the Alaska Wilderness some 20
years ago, 'raised' oatmeal fed, shell-less snails for eatin'. Sauteed in
butter and served with butter, garlic, lemon, dippin' sauce. Eaten with
those little twin-tined forks. I miss that boy. You there, TW?

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:
> ahaha..yes slugs are a problem in my wife's garden. In Japan people put beer
> in a small cup and they say the slugs are attacted to it, then fall into the
> cup and drown in the beer, I don't know if it works or not.

It does work. I've done that as well. Apparently some slugs have a preference
for different beers.

> Also since salt kills slugs by sucking the water out of them, in theory they
> should also die if your pour sugar or any other dry absorbant powder on them.
> Again, I haven't bothered to try this.

I used some calcium carbonate or whatever they make the ice melt stuff from,
the environrmentally friend stuff..

> I agree that I wouldn't want to eat a slug unless I absolutely had to. Their
> extreme sliminess really turns me off but if Unagi is an indicator, that slime
> should dissappear when hit with heat.

I'm think if it comes to the point that I have to eat a slug, I won't have the
luxury of fire to cook it. I remember as a kid at camp being prompt to try
eating a slug by the councilers. He ate one and expected everyone else to try
as well. Yeah, like that would ever happen.

--
Dan
Musashi

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:

cherrystones
> > and

> > snail

> > just
> > >
> > > I've salted a few as a kid (last year) and I didn't see much meat to

> > them..
> > > I remember being told to eat them if lost in the woods. I'm thinking
> > > I'd

> > have
> > > to be starving (for real) to get to that point.
> > >

> > ahaha..yes slugs are a problem in my wife's garden. In Japan people put
> > beer in a small cup
> > and they say the slugs are attacted to it, then fall into the cup and
> > drown in the beer, I don't know
> > if it works or not.

> Put the beer in a pie plate. Larger perimeter and less of a climb. It
> works.
>
> < Also since salt kills slugs by sucking the water out
> > . . .
> > I agree that I wouldn't want to eat a slug unless I absolutely had to.
> > Their extreme sliminess really
> > turns me off but if Unagi is an indicator, that slime should dissappear
> > when hit with heat.
> >

> Ok. What about moths, which are something like 90% fat and 10% protein?
> During peak feeding periods, in Glacier Park, when moths are abundant,
> bears eat approx. 40,000 moths/day.
>
> The Doomed Donner Party ate almost nothing but rabbits during the winter

of
> 1846-7.
>
> If they had eaten moths, as well, many more might have survived.

I can't rember the last time I even saw a moth in winter.
Which explains why most animals stock up on fat durng the fall, as well as
why the suet next to my bird feeder becomes a woodpecker magnet during
winter.

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > ahaha..yes slugs are a problem in my wife's garden. In Japan people put

beer
> > in a small cup and they say the slugs are attacted to it, then fall into

the
> > cup and drown in the beer, I don't know if it works or not.

> It does work. I've done that as well. Apparently some slugs have a

preference
> for different beers.

Wow, you can target just the "sophisticated" slugs.

> > Also since salt kills slugs by sucking the water out of them, in theory

they
> > should also die if your pour sugar or any other dry absorbant powder on

them.
> > Again, I haven't bothered to try this.

> I used some calcium carbonate or whatever they make the ice melt stuff

from,
> the environrmentally friend stuff..

I bet wasabi powder would work. Not really sure if that's any more cruel
than any other
powder.

> > I agree that I wouldn't want to eat a slug unless I absolutely had to.

Their
> > extreme sliminess really turns me off but if Unagi is an indicator, that

slime
> > should dissappear when hit with heat.

> I'm think if it comes to the point that I have to eat a slug, I won't have

the
> luxury of fire to cook it.

Ugh! Raw slug. (deep breath)
OK..I can handle this. I'd give it the "Awabi treatment", rub it in salt to
remove the slime and tighten the muscle.
Remove entrails. Rinse in cold water, pat dry. Slice paper thin, serve with
lemon. Maybe Yuzugoshou would work.

> I remember as a kid at camp being prompt to try
> eating a slug by the councilers. He ate one and expected everyone else to

try
> as well. Yeah, like that would ever happen.

There's a "Mikey" in every outfit.

Musashi

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message

> > > Feed them oatmeal for a week before ya cook 'em.
> > > Firms 'em up and makes 'em sweet.
> > >

> > At the risk of exposing my cluelessness, sometimes I can't tell if you
> > are kidding or not.
> > Because that does make sense.
> >

> An old Texas buddy, who disappeared into the Alaska Wilderness some 20
> years ago, 'raised' oatmeal fed, shell-less snails for eatin'. Sauteed in
> butter and served with butter, garlic, lemon, dippin' sauce. Eaten with
> those little twin-tined forks. I miss that boy. You there, TW?

Yum. :P

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WWdonnerJ.htm
> Not sure of the accuracy, but a good read anyways.

A good read, indeed. But "one bear, a coyote, an owl and a grey squirrel"
would not do much for almost 100 people and apparently only the dozen or so
in the 'Forlorn Hope' group partook of the Thyestean feast.

How the West was won.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Dan Logcher

wrote:

>>>My source (many years ago) could have been in error. Can you provide me
>>>with another? TIA

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WWdonnerJ.htm
>>Not sure of the accuracy, but a good read anyways.

> A good read, indeed. But "one bear, a coyote, an owl and a grey squirrel"
> would not do much for almost 100 people and apparently only the dozen or so
> in the 'Forlorn Hope' group partook of the Thyestean feast.
>
> How the West was won.

I don't think there was 100 at that point.. when anything was eaten.
When owls become food, you know times are tough.

--
Dan
Tippi

>From the Chinese version of the recipe (included on that site), I see
that "8 fold" means 80%, so I guess 100% hot oil means smoking hot, and
you go down from there.

Tippi

Interestingly enough, in another English recipe, they do say "40%
heated oil" rather than "4 fold".
http://www.chinavista.com/culture/cu...canton2-1.html

What's funny about this recipe is that it calls for "qiandao sauce". It
means thousand-island sauce. Yes that's right, it's Thousand Island
Dressing! they transliterated the translation, not knowing it's
originally English.

James Silverton

Tippi wrote on 7 Oct 2005 07:44:01 -0700:

T> Interestingly enough, in another English recipe, they do say
T> "40% heated oil" rather than "4 fold".

http://www.chinavista.com/culture/cu...canton2-1.html

T> What's funny about this recipe is that it calls for "qiandao
T> sauce". It means thousand-island sauce. Yes that's right,
T> it's Thousand Island Dressing! they transliterated the
T> translation, not knowing it's originally English.

Thank you indeed Tippi!

I think we know now and multiple translation has been a source
of jokes for centuries :-) I must admit that your "fold"
solution sounds eminently plausible!

James Silverton.