chronic hydroponic

Default Coffepot cooking - curry tofu ramen noodles

I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with only an ice
chest and no hot plate. But the room does have a mini coffepot and
I learned how to cook ramen noodles in it. Today I picked up some
silken tofu and mashed it up, put it in the coffepot along with the
packet of seasoning, some curry powder (lots of Indian and Asian
stuff in this area), some pure mild chile powder, a bit of soy sauce
a few dashes of hot sauce. Add water and turn coffemaker on and
you've got a very filling and very cheap lunch.

Or use any seasonings of your choice, the key ingredients are the
instant ramen noodles and tofu. Probably costs about $0.25 and
keeps me going until the one main meal my budget allows for at
dinnertime. Tofu is great as long as you mash it up so you don't
notice the icky texture; it has no particular flavor and the
low-fat/no saturated fat protein it contains makes it fairly
filling.

James Silverton

chronic wrote on Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:50:33 GMT:

ch> I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with
ch> only an ice chest and no hot plate. But the room does have
ch> a mini coffepot and I learned how to cook ramen noodles in
ch> it. Today I picked up some silken tofu and mashed it up,
ch> put it in the coffepot along with the packet of seasoning,
ch> some curry powder (lots of Indian and Asian stuff in this
ch> area), some pure mild chile powder, a bit of soy sauce a
ch> few dashes of hot sauce. Add water and turn coffemaker on
ch> and you've got a very filling and very cheap lunch.

When you leave I can't think the hotel's coffee pot will be good
for much, certainly not coffee. I really think you should buy
your own.

James Silverton.

aem

James Silverton wrote:

> When you leave I can't think the hotel's coffee pot will be good
> for much, certainly not coffee. I really think you should buy
> your own.

Why do you say that? It's smooth, heat-tempered glass, easy to clean
after each use. Assuming that is done, I wouldn't expect it to show
any signs of unusual wear. -aem

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
> >
> > When you leave I can't think the hotel's coffee pot will be good
> > for much, certainly not coffee. I really think you should buy
> > your own.
> >

> Why do you say that? It's smooth, heat-tempered glass, easy to clean
> after each use. Assuming that is done, I wouldn't expect it to show
> any signs of unusual wear. -aem

I think someone who can only afford two bits a day to eat needs to
seriously rethink living in hotel rooms.

Dan Logcher

Sheldon wrote:

> aem wrote:
>
>>James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>>When you leave I can't think the hotel's coffee pot will be good
>>>for much, certainly not coffee. I really think you should buy
>>>your own.
>>>

>>Why do you say that? It's smooth, heat-tempered glass, easy to clean
>>after each use. Assuming that is done, I wouldn't expect it to show
>>any signs of unusual wear. -aem

> I think someone who can only afford two bits a day to eat needs to
> seriously rethink living in hotel rooms.

He's on a business trip, and his per deim must be pretty small. I was only
alotted $50/day when in San Francisco, and lunch didn't count. So I'd have
a $10 breakfast and $40 dinner.. well, more like $55 but I'd pay for the rest
myself.

--
Dan

chronic hydroponic

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote...
> chronic wrote on Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:50:33 GMT:
>
> ch> I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with
> ch> only an ice chest and no hot plate. But the room does have
> ch> a mini coffepot and I learned how to cook ramen noodles in
> ch> it. Today I picked up some silken tofu and mashed it up,
> ch> put it in the coffepot along with the packet of seasoning,
> ch> some curry powder (lots of Indian and Asian stuff in this
> ch> area), some pure mild chile powder, a bit of soy sauce a
> ch> few dashes of hot sauce. Add water and turn coffemaker on
> ch> and you've got a very filling and very cheap lunch.
>

> When you leave I can't think the hotel's coffee pot will be good
> for much, certainly not coffee. I really think you should buy
> your own.

Uh, I don't run all that stuff through the brewer element, the
soup is in the glass carafe which is easily washed...

chronic hydroponic

"Sheldon" > wrote...
> I think someone who can only afford two bits a day to eat needs to
> seriously rethink living in hotel rooms.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and everything is SO much more expensive I
have to watch my budget. Supermarket food is 50% higher here for
most things, gasoline at $2.63, everything is so much more
expensive except for Asian food. Even my tofu ramen was better
than that stupid Jack in the Crack down the street (their menu
didn't even list individiul sandwich prices and french fries
weren't on it at all!), and after I got my chicken sandwich they
informed me they had no mayo).

Congratulation! you introduced an innovative idea how to cook Asian
food. in an unconventional cooking appliance..
Now I am trying to expand that concept of cooking ....
I am thinking how can I ccok Asian food with my bread toaster?....Any
ideas....?

Dwayne

Toasted tofu?

Dwayne

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Congratulation! you introduced an innovative idea how to cook Asian
> food. in an unconventional cooking appliance..
> Now I am trying to expand that concept of cooking ....
> I am thinking how can I ccok Asian food with my bread toaster?....Any
> ideas....?

AlleyGator

"chronic hydroponic" > wrote:

>I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with only an ice
>chest and no hot plate. But the room does have a mini coffepot and
>I learned how to cook ramen noodles in it.

For about 5 years, most of my life was spent on airplanes and in hotel
rooms. My sympathies, as I despised every second of it. I DID get to
eat some pretty good meals that I normally wouldn't have sprung for,
but as I understand it, you're in the same situation - that is, unless
you save your expense allowance for one really good meal, you're
hosed. One piece of advice - don't eat at a hotel if you can possibly
avoid it. Lord, what lousy food and outrageous prices.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Ken Blake

In ,
AlleyGator > typed:

> One piece of advice - don't eat at a hotel if you can possibly
> avoid it. Lord, what lousy food and outrageous prices.

That depends entirely on the hotel. Although most hotel food is
ordinary at best, some of the best meals of my life have been in
hotels.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Here are some hints from my own experience:

You can boil water in a container, like a metal bowl, available in
Asian markets. Just insert a small inexpensive immersion heater. Also,
you can boil water and put it in a thermos bottle for use in
reconstituting your ramen later.

Put the ramen into the metal bowl and add some shredded seaweed, like
wakame, along with the ramen (you can crush the ramen in the package if
you want to eat it with a big spoon - makes the noodles small - easier
to stir in the water if the container is small). The seaweed will
reconstitute rapidly and make the ramen much more nutricious. Cover
the bowl with something - anything - for three minutes. Then stir in a
small can of tuna (the cheap kind tatses better). Delicious,
nutricious meal for less than a dollar!

ww

AlleyGator

"Ken Blake" > wrote:

>That depends entirely on the hotel. Although most hotel food is
>ordinary at best, some of the best meals of my life have been in
>hotels.
>
>--
>Ken Blake
>Please reply to the newsgroup

Mine were divided between Hilton and a Holiday Inn "Holodome".
The Hilton did provide a "continental" breakfast, and deposited a pot
of coffee and the local newspaper outside your door each morning. The
breakfast at the HI was about 12 bucks back in the 80's, and was very
substandard fare. I still have nightmares (not really, of course) of
the one attempt at an evening meal I tried at the HI - shrimp on
linguini - it was 25 dollars for the entree alone, and it was an
inedible congealed mass of noodles (one giant hunk) and inedible,
rubber prawns reheated in a microwave. It was gory. Hence, the very
end of eating at hotels. Not long after that, I was staying at a
Doubletree in Atlanta - really NICE room - but 1 swallow of a mixed
drink was 10 bucks and the so-called salmon was garbage. I say again
- you're better off seeking out a McDonalds than eating hotel food -
I've NEVER had a good experience.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Ken Blake

In ,
AlleyGator > typed:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote:
>
>> That depends entirely on the hotel. Although most hotel food
>> is
>> ordinary at best, some of the best meals of my life have been
>> in
>> hotels.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

> Mine were divided between Hilton and a Holiday Inn "Holodome".
> The Hilton did provide a "continental" breakfast, and deposited
> a pot
> of coffee and the local newspaper outside your door each
> morning. The
> breakfast at the HI was about 12 bucks back in the 80's, and
> was very
> substandard fare. I still have nightmares (not really, of
> course) of
> the one attempt at an evening meal I tried at the HI - shrimp
> on
> linguini - it was 25 dollars for the entree alone, and it was
> an
> inedible congealed mass of noodles (one giant hunk) and
> inedible,
> rubber prawns reheated in a microwave. It was gory. Hence,
> the very
> end of eating at hotels. Not long after that, I was staying
> at a
> Doubletree in Atlanta - really NICE room - but 1 swallow of a
> mixed
> drink was 10 bucks and the so-called salmon was garbage. I say
> again
> - you're better off seeking out a McDonalds than eating hotel
> food -
> I've NEVER had a good experience.

I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants,
too, and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
*you* have never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants.
Don't judge the entire world of hotel restaurants by your very
limited experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant
Alain Ducasse at the Hotel Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's
highest rating, three stars, and is one of the best, if not the
best, in the world. http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup
There are *many* other examples, in many other parts of the
world.

chronic hydroponic

"AlleyGator" > wrote...
> Mine were divided between Hilton and a Holiday Inn "Holodome".
> The Hilton did provide a "continental" breakfast, and deposited a pot
> of coffee and the local newspaper outside your door each morning. The
> breakfast at the HI was about 12 bucks back in the 80's, and was very
> substandard fare...

I'm at the Hilton and get a free breakfast buffet, but the food is
ALWAYS the same scrambled eggs, fatty bacon, potato cubes, and
bagels/muffins. They do make omelettes and waffles but that requires
an extra tip to the cook making them. The food tastes okay but is
sometimes cold, makes me queasy, and the waiters are just a little
too enthusiastic as they keep asking me if everything's okay or even
fixing up my table for lunch while I'm still eating. But the two
free glasses of wine I get each night is kinda cool, but I think I'd
rather buy my own wine and have them give me a microwave instead...

chronic hydroponic

"Ken Blake" > wrote...
> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants, too, and my experience hasn't been better than yours.
> Clearly, *you* have never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants. Don't judge the entire world of hotel
> restaurants by your very limited experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant Alain Ducasse at the Hotel
> Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's highest rating, three stars, and is one of the best, if not the best, in the
> world. http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

Well I think we're talking about large chain hotels, not ritzy
Paris hotels who distinguish themselves through service and
gourmet food. And you pay for that higher quality too. A
comparison to restaurants would have Motel 6 as McDonalds or
Burger King, while Hilton would be equivalent to Wendy's in
that they offer you the better service of giving you the option
of ordering your hamburger without a pickle slice on it. The
Athenee is probably equivalent to Emeril's or better.

kalanamak

chronic hydroponic wrote:
> I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with only an ice
> chest and no hot plate. But the room does have a mini coffepot and
> I learned how to cook ramen noodles in it.

Pamper yourself. Also use the coffee pot to boil up strong strong
batches of herb teas that are heavy on mint, lemongrass, etc and soak
your feet in them or add to bath.
I feel your pain, I did the same thing for two months in the middle of
no where in the middle of South Dakota.
Musashi

"chronic hydroponic" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with only an ice
> chest and no hot plate. But the room does have a mini coffepot and
> I learned how to cook ramen noodles in it. Today I picked up some
> silken tofu and mashed it up, put it in the coffepot along with the
> packet of seasoning, some curry powder (lots of Indian and Asian
> stuff in this area), some pure mild chile powder, a bit of soy sauce
> a few dashes of hot sauce. Add water and turn coffemaker on and
> you've got a very filling and very cheap lunch.
>
> Or use any seasonings of your choice, the key ingredients are the
> instant ramen noodles and tofu. Probably costs about $0.25 and
> keeps me going until the one main meal my budget allows for at
> dinnertime. Tofu is great as long as you mash it up so you don't
> notice the icky texture; it has no particular flavor and the
> low-fat/no saturated fat protein it contains makes it fairly
> filling.

Nisshin Foods of Japan invented the cup-o-noodles a few decades ago.
All you need is hot water. As can be made with a mini coffee pot.

gkm

chronic hydroponic wrote:

> I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with only an ice
> chest and no hot plate. But the room does have a mini coffepot and
> I learned how to cook ramen noodles in it. Today I picked up some
> silken tofu and mashed it up, put it in the coffepot along with the
> packet of seasoning, some curry powder (lots of Indian and Asian
> stuff in this area), some pure mild chile powder, a bit of soy sauce
> a few dashes of hot sauce. Add water and turn coffemaker on and
> you've got a very filling and very cheap lunch.
>
> Or use any seasonings of your choice, the key ingredients are the
> instant ramen noodles and tofu. Probably costs about $0.25 and
> keeps me going until the one main meal my budget allows for at
> dinnertime. Tofu is great as long as you mash it up so you don't
> notice the icky texture; it has no particular flavor and the
> low-fat/no saturated fat protein it contains makes it fairly
> filling.

If you are i SF, some reasonable eats are -

Mifune (Japantown)
Lunch till 3-4 (?)

Hing Lung (Chinese) Broadway & Stockton

Bodega Bistro, Larkin & Eddy)

Many other cheap places in this area. Look for Saigon Sandwich about two
blocks away towards Civic Center on Larkin. Vietnamese sandwiches for
less than 2.50

Shalimar (Punjabi Dhaba style)
- one near Jones & Taylor, and another on Polk St.

Taqueria Cancun, Mission St & 19th St

Tu Lan, 6TH St. & Market

Spices (8th Ave and Clement) & Spices II (6th Ave and Clement)

All of these are within a couple of blocks from major bus routes.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ken Blake

In nk.net,
chronic hydroponic > typed:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote...

>> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants,
>> too,
>> and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
>> *you* have
>> never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants. Don't
>> judge the
>> entire world of hotel restaurants by your very limited
>> experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant Alain
>> Ducasse at the Hotel
>> Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's highest rating, three
>> stars,
>> and is one of the best, if not the best, in the world.
>> http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

> Well I think we're talking about large chain hotels, not ritzy
> Paris hotels who distinguish themselves through service and
> gourmet food.

Well, you might *like* to talk about "large hotel chains," but
AlleyGator made a blanket statement about *all* hotel food; he
didn't qualify it by saying ""large chain hotels." I said "it
depends," pointed out that it's not true of *all* hotels, and
pointed out that "some of the best meals of my life have been in
hotels."

His unqualified statement is preposterous on the face of it.
There are many great restaurants in hotels, and all over the
world, not just in Paris. Had he said that most restaurants in
large hotel chains are poor, I either would have agreed or not
bothered replying at all. In fact most chain restaurants are
poor, whether or not they are in hotels. I even agreed, in my
first sentence you quoted above, that Hilton, Holiday Inn, and
Doubletree restaurants are not very good.

> And you pay for that higher quality too.

Of course. Good food is seldom cheap, whether in hotels or
elsewhere, and it's probably even more expensive in hotels,
especially in an expensive city like Paris.

> comparison to restaurants would have Motel 6 as McDonalds or
> Burger King, while Hilton would be equivalent to Wendy's in
> that they offer you the better service of giving you the option
> of ordering your hamburger without a pickle slice on it.

Wendy's? Ugh! I'm not a fan of restaurants in Hiltons but I'd
greatly prefer a meal in the worst Hilton restaurant to the best
Wendy's.

> The
> Athenee is probably equivalent to Emeril's or better.

I've never eaten in either and don't know for sure, but going by
Michelin (and other) ratings, my guess is that restaurant Alain
Ducasse at the Hotel Plaza Athenée is *much* better than
Emeril's.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In news:,
Ken Blake > typed:

> In nk.net,
> chronic hydroponic > typed:
>
>> "Ken Blake" > wrote...

>>> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree
>>> restaurants,
>>> too,
>>> and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
>>> *you* have
>>> never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants. Don't
>>> judge the
>>> entire world of hotel restaurants by your very limited
>>> experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant Alain
>>> Ducasse at the Hotel
>>> Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's highest rating, three
>>> stars,
>>> and is one of the best, if not the best, in the world.
>>> http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

>> Well I think we're talking about large chain hotels, not ritzy
>> Paris hotels who distinguish themselves through service and
>> gourmet food.

> Well, you might *like* to talk about "large hotel chains," but
> AlleyGator made a blanket statement about *all* hotel food; he
> didn't qualify it by saying ""large chain hotels." I said "it
> depends," pointed out that it's not true of *all* hotels, and
> pointed out that "some of the best meals of my life have been
> in
> hotels."
>
> His unqualified statement is preposterous on the face of it.
> There are many great restaurants in hotels, and all over the
> world, not just in Paris. Had he said that most restaurants in
> large hotel chains are poor, I either would have agreed or not
> bothered replying at all. In fact most chain restaurants are
> poor, whether or not they are in hotels. I even agreed, in my
> first sentence you quoted above, that Hilton, Holiday Inn, and
> Doubletree restaurants are not very good.
>

>> And you pay for that higher quality too.

> Of course. Good food is seldom cheap, whether in hotels or
> elsewhere, and it's probably even more expensive in hotels,
> especially in an expensive city like Paris.

>> comparison to restaurants would have Motel 6 as McDonalds or
>> Burger King, while Hilton would be equivalent to Wendy's in
>> that they offer you the better service of giving you the
>> option
>> of ordering your hamburger without a pickle slice on it.

> Wendy's? Ugh! I'm not a fan of restaurants in Hiltons but I'd
> greatly prefer a meal in the worst Hilton restaurant to the
> best
> Wendy's.
>

>> The
>> Athenee is probably equivalent to Emeril's or better.

> I've never eaten in either and don't know for sure, but going
> by
> Michelin (and other) ratings, my guess is that restaurant Alain
> Ducasse at the Hotel Plaza Athenée is *much* better than
> Emeril's.

An addendum to my point above. I live in Tucson, AZ. The best
four restaurants in town (some might disagree, but hardly anyone
would not rate these four as among the top half a dozen or so)
are all in hotels: Janos, the Ventana Room, the Gold Room, the
Grill at Hacienda del Sol.

If I could afford it, I'd be very happy to rotate among these
restaurants every four days.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

slim

Dan Logcher wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > aem wrote:

> >>Why do you say that? It's smooth, heat-tempered glass, easy to clean
> >>after each use. Assuming that is done, I wouldn't expect it to show
> >>any signs of unusual wear. -aem

> > I think someone who can only afford two bits a day to eat needs to
> > seriously rethink living in hotel rooms.

> He's on a business trip, and his per deim must be pretty small. I was only
> alotted $50/day when in San Francisco, and lunch didn't count. So I'd have
> a $10 breakfast and $40 dinner.. well, more like $55 but I'd pay for the rest
> myself.

Ten for breakfast and40 for dinner BY YOURSELF?

YOU ARE FREAKING HELPLESS!!!

--------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...now-usat_x.htm

"Other top officials, including Cheney and Rumsfeld, said the war would
last
"weeks, not months.""

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/ar...05/052705w.php

"More than two years into a war that was supposed to be quick and easy,
and
the justification for which has spun from removing a dictator to
eliminating
weapons of mass destruction to fighting terrorism and, finally, to
planting
democracy that would then spread across the Middle East, Iraq is in chaos."

RayGun sends his lackey to kiss Saddam's ass.
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.quantumphilosophy.net/fil...yan_Medium.mov
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
slim

chronic hydroponic wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote...
> > I think someone who can only afford two bits a day to eat needs to
> > seriously rethink living in hotel rooms.

> I'm in the SF Bay Area and everything is SO much more expensive I
> have to watch my budget. Supermarket food is 50% higher here for
> most things, gasoline at $2.63, everything is so much more
> expensive except for Asian food. Even my tofu ramen was better
> than that stupid Jack in the Crack down the street (their menu
> didn't even list individiul sandwich prices and french fries
> weren't on it at all!), and after I got my chicken sandwich they
> informed me they had no mayo).

DUDE.....Get thee to the MISSION district.

You aren't allergic to Hispanics, are you?

--------------------

[...]

slim

Ken Blake wrote:

> In ,
> AlleyGator > typed:
>
> > One piece of advice - don't eat at a hotel if you can possibly
> > avoid it. Lord, what lousy food and outrageous prices.

> That depends entirely on the hotel. Although most hotel food is
> ordinary at best, some of the best meals of my life have been in
> hotels.

Why would ANYONE eat at a hotel if someone else is not
picking up the tab?

--------------------

[...]

slim

AlleyGator wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote:
>
> >That depends entirely on the hotel. Although most hotel food is
> >ordinary at best, some of the best meals of my life have been in
> >hotels.
> >
> >--
> >Ken Blake
> >Please reply to the newsgroup
> >

> Mine were divided between Hilton and a Holiday Inn "Holodome".
> The Hilton did provide a "continental" breakfast, and deposited a pot
> of coffee and the local newspaper outside your door each morning. The
> breakfast at the HI was about 12 bucks back in the 80's, and was very
> substandard fare. I still have nightmares (not really, of course) of
> the one attempt at an evening meal I tried at the HI - shrimp on
> linguini - it was 25 dollars for the entree alone, and it was an
> inedible congealed mass of noodles (one giant hunk) and inedible,
> rubber prawns reheated in a microwave. It was gory. Hence, the very
> end of eating at hotels. Not long after that, I was staying at a
> Doubletree in Atlanta - really NICE room - but 1 swallow of a mixed
> drink was 10 bucks and the so-called salmon was garbage. I say again
> - you're better off seeking out a McDonalds than eating hotel food -
> I've NEVER had a good experience.

JESUS CHRIST ARE YOU PEOPLE DUMB!

When on a budget in a strange city ASK THE STAFF WHERE THEY
EAT OUT!!!! FUGGETABOUT the guides and other bullshit.

Ask the locals where they eat.

Works every time.

--------------------

[...]

slim

Ken Blake wrote:

> In ,
> AlleyGator > typed:
>
> > "Ken Blake" > wrote:
> >
> >> That depends entirely on the hotel. Although most hotel food
> >> is
> >> ordinary at best, some of the best meals of my life have been
> >> in
> >> hotels.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup
> >>

> > Mine were divided between Hilton and a Holiday Inn "Holodome".
> > The Hilton did provide a "continental" breakfast, and deposited
> > a pot
> > of coffee and the local newspaper outside your door each
> > morning. The
> > breakfast at the HI was about 12 bucks back in the 80's, and
> > was very
> > substandard fare. I still have nightmares (not really, of
> > course) of
> > the one attempt at an evening meal I tried at the HI - shrimp
> > on
> > linguini - it was 25 dollars for the entree alone, and it was
> > an
> > inedible congealed mass of noodles (one giant hunk) and
> > inedible,
> > rubber prawns reheated in a microwave. It was gory. Hence,
> > the very
> > end of eating at hotels. Not long after that, I was staying
> > at a
> > Doubletree in Atlanta - really NICE room - but 1 swallow of a
> > mixed
> > drink was 10 bucks and the so-called salmon was garbage. I say
> > again
> > - you're better off seeking out a McDonalds than eating hotel
> > food -
> > I've NEVER had a good experience.

> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants,
> too, and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
> *you* have never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants.
> Don't judge the entire world of hotel restaurants by your very
> limited experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant
> Alain Ducasse at the Hotel Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's
> highest rating, three stars, and is one of the best, if not the
> best, in the world. http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

Who paid the tab Kenny?

--------------------

[...]

slim

chronic hydroponic wrote:

> "AlleyGator" > wrote...
> > Mine were divided between Hilton and a Holiday Inn "Holodome".
> > The Hilton did provide a "continental" breakfast, and deposited a pot
> > of coffee and the local newspaper outside your door each morning. The
> > breakfast at the HI was about 12 bucks back in the 80's, and was very
> > substandard fare...

> I'm at the Hilton and get a free breakfast buffet, but the food is
> ALWAYS the same scrambled eggs, fatty bacon, potato cubes, and
> bagels/muffins. They do make omelettes and waffles but that requires
> an extra tip to the cook making them. The food tastes okay but is
> sometimes cold, makes me queasy, and the waiters are just a little
> too enthusiastic as they keep asking me if everything's okay or even
> fixing up my table for lunch while I'm still eating. But the two
> free glasses of wine I get each night is kinda cool, but I think I'd
> rather buy my own wine and have them give me a microwave instead...

WHY....WHY....WHY do you eat at hotels?

Ask those who work at the hotel where to eat locally!

--------------------

[...]

slim

gkm wrote:

> chronic hydroponic wrote:
>
> > I'm trapped in a hotel room for the next few weeks with only an ice
> > chest and no hot plate. But the room does have a mini coffepot and
> > I learned how to cook ramen noodles in it. Today I picked up some
> > silken tofu and mashed it up, put it in the coffepot along with the
> > packet of seasoning, some curry powder (lots of Indian and Asian
> > stuff in this area), some pure mild chile powder, a bit of soy sauce
> > a few dashes of hot sauce. Add water and turn coffemaker on and
> > you've got a very filling and very cheap lunch.
> >
> > Or use any seasonings of your choice, the key ingredients are the
> > instant ramen noodles and tofu. Probably costs about $0.25 and
> > keeps me going until the one main meal my budget allows for at
> > dinnertime. Tofu is great as long as you mash it up so you don't
> > notice the icky texture; it has no particular flavor and the
> > low-fat/no saturated fat protein it contains makes it fairly
> > filling.
> >

> If you are i SF, some reasonable eats are -
>
> Mifune (Japantown)
> Lunch till 3-4 (?)
>
> Hing Lung (Chinese) Broadway & Stockton
>
> Bodega Bistro, Larkin & Eddy)
>
> Many other cheap places in this area. Look for Saigon Sandwich about two
> blocks away towards Civic Center on Larkin. Vietnamese sandwiches for
> less than 2.50
>
> Shalimar (Punjabi Dhaba style)
> - one near Jones & Taylor, and another on Polk St.
>
> Taqueria Cancun, Mission St & 19th St
>
> Tu Lan, 6TH St. & Market
>
> Spices (8th Ave and Clement) & Spices II (6th Ave and Clement)
>
> All of these are within a couple of blocks from major bus routes.
>
> Hope this helps a bit.

It only helps if he wants it to.

Some people are scared shitless to get out an eat locally.

--------------------

[...]

slim

Ken Blake wrote:

> An addendum to my point above. I live in Tucson, AZ. The best
> four restaurants in town (some might disagree, but hardly anyone
> would not rate these four as among the top half a dozen or so)
> are all in hotels: Janos, the Ventana Room, the Gold Room, the
> Grill at Hacienda del Sol.
>
> If I could afford it, I'd be very happy to rotate among these
> restaurants every four days.

WHAT? No great local ethinc food?

--------------------

[...]

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi chronic hydroponic,

le/on Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:48:12 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ken Blake" > wrote...
>> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants, too, and my experience hasn't been better than yours.
>> Clearly, *you* have never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants. Don't judge the entire world of hotel
>> restaurants by your very limited experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant Alain Ducasse at the Hotel
>> Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's highest rating, three stars, and is one of the best, if not the best, in the
>> world. http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

>Well I think we're talking about large chain hotels, not ritzy
>Paris hotels who distinguish themselves through service and
>gourmet food.

Who said? In any case, I've had some excellent food at Meridien and some of
the best cooking in my life in several Hong Kong Hotels bleonging top large
chains.

One shouldn't make widespread general statements, and then seek to limit
them when challenged.

> And you pay for that higher quality too.

Oh Gee, so you pay more in The French Laundry than you do in Pop's diner.

I find the profundity in that sentence positively breathtaking.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

AlleyGator

"Ken Blake" > wrote:

>I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants,
>too, and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
>*you* have never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants.

That's very true Ken, I haven't eaten at the better quality hotels. I
only traveled because I was forced to, and wouldn't do it for
"pleasure" at any rate. I'm sure there is good food to be found there
somewhere. My expense account wouldn't allow anything above a
Doubletree-type place. Geez, you'd think that at over 200 a night you
can get some edible food. Course I guess that's not all that much
money these days. I will admit that the accomidations were very good
at the DT. Nice room. IIRC, that was in Atlanta. However, being
forced to scour around for edible food led me to some interesting
places, particularly when I was in Little Rock. There was a place
call "Granpa's Catfish Hole" or something like that. There was only
one bathroom with a showere curtain for a door, and the floor was
composed of an old basketball court, not put together in any special
arrangement. The food was served family style, great big bowls
everywhere, and I ate until I was ready for death. They told us if we
couldn't get a ride next time "Bubba'll come get ya'll in the
pickup". Nice people - good food.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
AlleyGator

"Ken Blake" > wrote:

>Well, you might *like* to talk about "large hotel chains," but
>AlleyGator made a blanket statement about *all* hotel food; he
>didn't qualify it by saying ""large chain hotels." I said "it
>depends," pointed out that it's not true of *all* hotels, and
>pointed out that "some of the best meals of my life have been in
>hotels."

See my latest post to this thread, Ken. I agree with you completely
in that I have never stayed in a really "good" hotel, and I never
should have expected high cuisine. I now recall one night I was dead
tired and ordered room service at a Hilton. I asked for the filet
mignon, medium rare. It arrived exactly as I ordered it, medium rare.
I was floored, and it was a very good meal. So I'm thinking, based on
my experiences that maybe the key to getting decent food in a
lower-quality hotel is to just stay away from seafood. I wish I could
remember the name of one of my favorite joints in Little Rock,
Arkansas. It was a seafood joint, a few steps above a Red Lobster,
although not too expensive (30 to 50 bucks for a really good meal).
It was a chain operation throughout the south, and I hate it that I
can't remember the name. Anyway, they were closed for a few years and
just re-opened in the last coup;e of years in LR, but with a different
menu. Unfortunately, the thing I ordered there religiously (lemon
stuffed sole, tons of crab and shrimp inside with a nice,
not-too-strong lemon sauce) is not to be had. Oh, well. Guess I'll
have to learn to make it myself, as I get a "craving" now and then.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
AlleyGator

"chronic hydroponic" > wrote:

>I'm at the Hilton and get a free breakfast buffet, but the food is
>ALWAYS the same scrambled eggs, fatty bacon, potato cubes, and
>bagels/muffins. They do make omelettes and waffles but that requires
>an extra tip to the cook making them. The food tastes okay but is
>sometimes cold, makes me queasy, and the waiters are just a little
>too enthusiastic as they keep asking me if everything's okay or even
>fixing up my table for lunch while I'm still eating. But the two
>free glasses of wine I get each night is kinda cool, but I think I'd
>rather buy my own wine and have them give me a microwave instead...

Free breakfast these days? How do YOU rate <G>? Seriously, I can't
remember whether you're out for business or pleasure, but if it's for
business, I wish you a speedy and eventless trip back home. That's
always the best part of a business trip. I love flying, but I hate
airports and hotels, so I am NOT a good traveller. Thank GOD I don't
have to do that any more.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Ken Blake

In ,
AlleyGator > typed:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote:
>
>> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree restaurants,
>> too, and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
>> *you* have never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants.

> That's very true Ken, I haven't eaten at the better quality
> hotels. I
> only traveled because I was forced to, and wouldn't do it for
> "pleasure" at any rate. I'm sure there is good food to be
> found there
> somewhere.

In that case, if you want to limit your comment to most of the
restraurants in ordinary American chain hotels like Holiday Inn,
I agree with you almost completely. There are exceptions, but
most are poor.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

LynneA

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
news

> Pamper yourself. Also use the coffee pot to boil up strong strong batches
> of herb teas that are heavy on mint, lemongrass, etc and soak your feet in
> them or add to bath.
> I feel your pain, I did the same thing for two months in the middle of no
> where in the middle of South Dakota.

That is *definitely* the middle of nowhere!LOL

Lynne A

"WHAT? No great local ethnic food?"

Mister Blake doesn't mention the country's greatest dollar for dollar
sushi joint - Sushi Ten, Tucson, AZ!

By the way, brother Slim, I'm with you 100% on your political comments,
but still I don't like "signatures" and politics on unrelated forums,
like this, and right now I'm fighting with a couple of brain dead
Bush-loving dittoheads on the sushi forum because I objected to their
"politically correct" signature messages, so to be fair i'll object to
yours too, though you and I are on the same side. Actually, i don't
like signatures of any kind.

ww