Jean B.

Dan Logcher wrote:

> It is! It's not exactally a whole day.. there's breaks of time between
> chopping, cooking, and last prep.. plus beer to keep the chefs going.

I'm gonna have to round up the ingredients and try that.

> Opps, I was mixing thoughts of Mary's and Sichuan Garden II. I meant
> the buns at SG2. My son likes them..

I like them too--but better if they have not burst!!!!! I can see
that these small buns (although they were marginally bite-sized
last week when I had them again) are a must. I am intrigued with
the making of these soup buns. They start with a gelatin, I hear,
which makes sense.

> Ok, well I added my $.02. Hope they start thinking about it.
> Their website doesn't have their Malden location listed, so I mentioned
> that as well.

I hope they have been thinking about it, since they seemed to like
that idea when I wrote, and that this will give them more impetus.

--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Dan Logcher wrote:

> It is! It's not exactally a whole day.. there's breaks of time between
> chopping, cooking, and last prep.. plus beer to keep the chefs going.

I'm gonna have to round up the ingredients and try that.

> Opps, I was mixing thoughts of Mary's and Sichuan Garden II. I meant
> the buns at SG2. My son likes them..

I like them too--but better if they have not burst!!!!! I can see
that these small buns (although they were marginally bite-sized
last week when I had them again) are a must. I am intrigued with
the making of these soup buns. They start with a gelatin, I hear,
which makes sense.

> Ok, well I added my $.02. Hope they start thinking about it.
> Their website doesn't have their Malden location listed, so I mentioned
> that as well.

I hope they have been thinking about it, since they seemed to like
that idea when I wrote, and that this will give them more impetus.

--
Jean B.
Dan Logcher

Jean B. wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> It is! It's not exactally a whole day.. there's breaks of time between
>> chopping, cooking, and last prep.. plus beer to keep the chefs going.

> I'm gonna have to round up the ingredients and try that.

Powdered Laos is the only one I can't easily get.. though I haven't
tried all that hard yet. I've poked around in a few Asian and Indian
stores hoping the find a steady supply. No luck yet. I've found it
online, just haven't decided to buy it. Conimex is the brand my
parents use.. here's a good site http://www.hollandbymail.nl/conimex_list.html

>> Opps, I was mixing thoughts of Mary's and Sichuan Garden II. I meant
>> the buns at SG2. My son likes them..

> I like them too--but better if they have not burst!!!!! I can see that
> these small buns (although they were marginally bite-sized last week
> when I had them again) are a must. I am intrigued with the making of
> these soup buns. They start with a gelatin, I hear, which makes sense.

Soup buns? Are those a different item?

>> Ok, well I added my $.02. Hope they start thinking about it.
>> Their website doesn't have their Malden location listed, so I mentioned
>> that as well.

> I hope they have been thinking about it, since they seemed to like that
> idea when I wrote, and that this will give them more impetus.

Here's their response:
Dear Customer,

We currently have five locations as shown in our website. A new Super 88 Market
will be opening at 795 Eastern Avenue, Malden later this summer, an exact date
will be posted as soon as it's determined. Please check our website for updates.
Super 88 Marlet is not opening a store in Burlington.

Thank you for contacting Super 88 Market and hope you visit us soon.

Customer Service,
Super 88 Market

One of the cashers at their Allston location said that Malden had already
opened. But I guess she didn't understand the question. That is one of
my issues with that location. Almost every employee does not speak English.

--
Dan
Jean B.

Dan Logcher wrote:

> Powdered Laos is the only one I can't easily get.. though I haven't
> tried all that hard yet. I've poked around in a few Asian and Indian
> stores hoping the find a steady supply. No luck yet. I've found it
> online, just haven't decided to buy it. Conimex is the brand my
> parents use.. here's a good site
> http://www.hollandbymail.nl/conimex_list.html

Yeah, I always used Conimex. Haven't looked for it recently.
Pricy Cardullo's used to stock a good amount of Conimex products,
but they may just have a few dregs now. I gather from what you
say that I am in for an unpleasant surprise when I next need
powdered laos (etc.).

> Soup buns? Are those a different item?

Have we gone in different directions here? Yes, I most recently
was speaking of soup buns.

> Here's their response:
> Dear Customer,
>
> We currently have five locations as shown in our website. A new Super 88
> Market will be opening at 795 Eastern Avenue, Malden later this summer,
> an exact date will be posted as soon as it's determined. Please check
> our website for updates. Super 88 Marlet is not opening a store in
> Burlington.
>
> Thank you for contacting Super 88 Market and hope you visit us soon.
>
> Customer Service,
> Super 88 Market
>
> One of the cashers at their Allston location said that Malden had already
> opened. But I guess she didn't understand the question. That is one of
> my issues with that location. Almost every employee does not speak
> English.

Oh :-( I guess they either weren't interested even though they
acted like they were, or they later rejected that idea.

Guess I will end up exploring Malden--or I will just go back to
the one near BU.

BTW, have you explored Kam Man in Quincy?

Oh yes, also, I didn't see any Sichuan peppercorns in Methuen last
Sunday. I am somewhat concerned that this store had virtually no
one in it when I was there--and they seem to have more open
space.... It is a very good store, and I would hate to see it close.

--
Jean B.
Dan Logcher

Jean B. wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
> Yeah, I always used Conimex. Haven't looked for it recently. Pricy
> Cardullo's used to stock a good amount of Conimex products, but they may
> just have a few dregs now. I gather from what you say that I am in for
> an unpleasant surprise when I next need powdered laos (etc.).

I haven't seen it locallyin Asian and Indian markets. Online works though.

>> Soup buns? Are those a different item?

> Have we gone in different directions here? Yes, I most recently was
> speaking of soup buns.

What are they? Not sure I know what that is.. Is that like the crueller
for Congee?

>> One of the cashers at their Allston location said that Malden had already
>> opened. But I guess she didn't understand the question. That is one of
>> my issues with that location. Almost every employee does not speak
>> English.
>>

> Oh :-( I guess they either weren't interested even though they acted
> like they were, or they later rejected that idea.

Sure seems it from the email. Oh well.

> Guess I will end up exploring Malden--or I will just go back to the one
> near BU.

Malden location should open later this summer. Aye Ya!!! This location is
closer to Rt. 1 than Rt. 93. That's a pain.

> BTW, have you explored Kam Man in Quincy?

I don't travel to Quincy anymore, since all family and friends have move
from there.. I stay North Shore as much as possible.

> Oh yes, also, I didn't see any Sichuan peppercorns in Methuen last
> Sunday. I am somewhat concerned that this store had virtually no one in
> it when I was there--and they seem to have more open space.... It is a
> very good store, and I would hate to see it close.

You think they are going to close? Then you'd really have to trek in town
for your products.

--
Dan

RLK

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>> Jean, there are so many local Asian markets that you don't need to go
>> into Chinatown for most of the items.

> Hehe. Well, that was a partial list for the OP, and I assume he/she is
> not in the Boston area.

This was the Chinatown in NYC. We postponed a couple of weeks ago because of
inclement weather. I do not recommend arriving there during lunch hours, it
is extremely congested. We plan to go much earlier next time and avoid the
heaviest hours, both in Chinatown and Grand Central Station (where we
arrived to take the No. 6 subway to Canal St.) Here are the goodies we ended
up with from Kam Man (Golden Gate)-- all of which went into a knapsack, with
children in tow:

bean paste (Hook Chun)
fermented bean curd
dried prunes (salty)
licoriced plums (sweet)
flat jerky
dried wood ear fungus
dried lilybuds
small tin of green tea
2 "joong" (tamales) - pork, peanut
2lbs of yardlong green beans
2 pastries from Marie's for the kids (one eaten immediately, one squashed)
one bag of White Rabbit candies (condensed milk chews)

We went to the Golden Bridge Restaurant (formerly Silver Palace) to meet
with the grandparents for dim sum and also had a delicious shrimp and fried
thin-noodle dish. We have been eating rice gruel (congee) with the bean curd
all weekend. Great comfort food!

Next time I will stock up on hoisin sauce, dried mushrooms and some of the
thai chilis/curries... etc.

RLK

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>> Jean, there are so many local Asian markets that you don't need to go
>> into Chinatown for most of the items.

> Hehe. Well, that was a partial list for the OP, and I assume he/she is
> not in the Boston area.

This was the Chinatown in NYC. We postponed a couple of weeks ago because of
inclement weather. I do not recommend arriving there during lunch hours, it
is extremely congested. We plan to go much earlier next time and avoid the
heaviest hours, both in Chinatown and Grand Central Station (where we
arrived to take the No. 6 subway to Canal St.) Here are the goodies we ended
up with from Kam Man (Golden Gate)-- all of which went into a knapsack, with
children in tow:

bean paste (Hook Chun)
fermented bean curd
dried prunes (salty)
licoriced plums (sweet)
flat jerky
dried wood ear fungus
dried lilybuds
small tin of green tea
2 "joong" (tamales) - pork, peanut
2lbs of yardlong green beans
2 pastries from Marie's for the kids (one eaten immediately, one squashed)
one bag of White Rabbit candies (condensed milk chews)

We went to the Golden Bridge Restaurant (formerly Silver Palace) to meet
with the grandparents for dim sum and also had a delicious shrimp and fried
thin-noodle dish. We have been eating rice gruel (congee) with the bean curd
all weekend. Great comfort food!

Next time I will stock up on hoisin sauce, dried mushrooms and some of the
thai chilis/curries... etc.

Jean B.

RLK wrote:

We were in NY, primarily to hit Chinatown, a few days ago. Had a
couple of meals there (New Green Bo and Jing Fong) and went to Kam
Man, among other places. I'd like a consensus (hah!) on the best
Sichuan restaurant in Chinatown and also the best place for dim
sum. Perhaps ditto for Flushing, which, I have read, is even
better for these things.

I also need to plan better. I did do a lot of research but didn't
have enough time to do a really definitive job. Also, that is one
big Chinatown compared to the one in Boston.

--
Jean B.
Dan Logcher

Jean B. wrote:
> RLK wrote:
>

> We were in NY, primarily to hit Chinatown, a few days ago. Had a couple
> of meals there (New Green Bo and Jing Fong) and went to Kam Man, among
> other places. I'd like a consensus (hah!) on the best Sichuan
> restaurant in Chinatown and also the best place for dim sum. Perhaps
> ditto for Flushing, which, I have read, is even better for these things.

I asked about dim sum in Manhattan back in 2001 when I went for a wedding.
Someone mention something like Golden Unicorn I think. I never got a
chance to go..

> I also need to plan better. I did do a lot of research but didn't have
> enough time to do a really definitive job. Also, that is one big
> Chinatown compared to the one in Boston.

Be sure to pick up some Char Sui Bao from the bakery near all the
statues (kind of like the Boston Chinatown gate).

--
Dan
Jean B.

Dan Logcher wrote:

> I asked about dim sum in Manhattan back in 2001 when I went for a wedding.
> Someone mention something like Golden Unicorn I think. I never got a
> chance to go..

Yup. I have a big list of places to try (most with variable
comments, so it is hard to figure out the ranking).

> Be sure to pick up some Char Sui Bao from the bakery near all the
> statues (kind of like the Boston Chinatown gate).

I'll put this in my notes. Thanks!

Boy, is that place overwhelming! One needs a lot of time to
explore there and to sift the wheat from the chaff.

--
Jean B.

slim

"Jean B." wrote:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
> >
> > I asked about dim sum in Manhattan back in 2001 when I went for a wedding.
> > Someone mention something like Golden Unicorn I think. I never got a
> > chance to go..

> Yup. I have a big list of places to try (most with variable
> comments, so it is hard to figure out the ranking).
>

> > Be sure to pick up some Char Sui Bao from the bakery near all the
> > statues (kind of like the Boston Chinatown gate).
> >

> I'll put this in my notes. Thanks!
>
> Boy, is that place overwhelming! One needs a lot of time to
> explore there and to sift the wheat from the chaff.

Forget Golden Unicorn!

They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
"Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
non-Chinese do.

--

"This notion that the United States is getting ready
to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. Having said that,

http://www.quantumphilosophy.net/fil...yan_Medium.mov

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
Dan Logcher

slim wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>
>>Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>>>I asked about dim sum in Manhattan back in 2001 when I went for a wedding.
>>>Someone mention something like Golden Unicorn I think. I never got a
>>>chance to go..

>>Yup. I have a big list of places to try (most with variable
>>comments, so it is hard to figure out the ranking).
>>

>>>Be sure to pick up some Char Sui Bao from the bakery near all the
>>>statues (kind of like the Boston Chinatown gate).
>>>

>>I'll put this in my notes. Thanks!
>>
>>Boy, is that place overwhelming! One needs a lot of time to
>>explore there and to sift the wheat from the chaff.

> Forget Golden Unicorn!
>
> They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
> "Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
> Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
> non-Chinese do.

Is there a meal tax in NY? There is in MA, so I wouldn't notice
the difference.

--
Dan
Jean B.

slim wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>
>>Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>>>I asked about dim sum in Manhattan back in 2001 when I went for a wedding.
>>>Someone mention something like Golden Unicorn I think. I never got a
>>>chance to go..

>>Yup. I have a big list of places to try (most with variable
>>comments, so it is hard to figure out the ranking).
>>

>>>Be sure to pick up some Char Sui Bao from the bakery near all the
>>>statues (kind of like the Boston Chinatown gate).
>>>

>>I'll put this in my notes. Thanks!
>>
>>Boy, is that place overwhelming! One needs a lot of time to
>>explore there and to sift the wheat from the chaff.

> Forget Golden Unicorn!
>
> They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
> "Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
> Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
> non-Chinese do.

Well, that would turn me off. That reminds me of another
turn-off: places that have Chinese menus that are not
translated--and that they won't give non-Asians.

--
Jean B.
Dan Logcher

Jean B. wrote:
> slim wrote:

>>> Yup. I have a big list of places to try (most with variable
>>> comments, so it is hard to figure out the ranking).

>>> I'll put this in my notes. Thanks!
>>>
>>> Boy, is that place overwhelming! One needs a lot of time to
>>> explore there and to sift the wheat from the chaff.

>> Forget Golden Unicorn!
>>
>> They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
>> "Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
>> Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
>> non-Chinese do.
>>

> Well, that would turn me off. That reminds me of another turn-off:
> places that have Chinese menus that are not translated--and that they
> won't give non-Asians.

Or spend the time translating. This kind of happened at Sichuan Garden II
in Woburn. We went there and had a great meal with my in-laws, one of which
reads and speak Manderin Chinese. She ordered a pepper steak dish that was
great, large pieces of rare steak with onions and such.. So I ordered that
for take-out a few weeks later and got something completely different.

--
Dan
Jean B.

Dan Logcher wrote:

> Or spend the time translating. This kind of happened at Sichuan Garden II
> in Woburn. We went there and had a great meal with my in-laws, one of
> which
> reads and speak Manderin Chinese. She ordered a pepper steak dish that was
> great, large pieces of rare steak with onions and such.. So I ordered that
> for take-out a few weeks later and got something completely different.

That too! Such a thing would REALLY annoy me. I want the REAL
thing--not some version deemed fit for non-Chinese.

Back to Boston and its environs. I have gone to New Taste of Asia
(Coolidge, Corner, Broookline) a few times now. Each time I have
asked for a copy of the Chinese menu--or asked that they let me
take it and copy it. They say that next tome they will have a
copy for me, but then it doesn't get done. I think they are a bit
annoyed that I am asking--and I am annoyed that they say they will
do this, and then they don't do it. I figure that even if they
don't translate it, I may be able to figure out some of the dishes
there--beyond the few I already know.

I am beginning to wonder whether I am a second-class citizen in
these restaurants. I was going to add that I only feel this way
in Asian restaurants, but maybe that it because I can figure out
things that are in the Roman alphabet more easily.

--
Jean B.

Tippi

> > They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
> > "Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
> > Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
> > non-Chinese do.

Around here (Toronto) some Chinatown restaurents will forgo the tax if
you pay with cash. They don't do it for non-Chinese probably because
they're afraid someone would report them to the government.

> That reminds me of another
> turn-off: places that have Chinese menus that are not
> translated--and that they won't give non-Asians.

Reminds me of the time I was in a conference in a big hotel in L.A. The
Japanese restaurent had a menu with 2 different sections, 1 in English
and 1 in Japanese. The English section items came with things like
lettuce salad, the other section offered more traditional dishes like
grilled whole fish (with head) which came in a bento box with Japanese
sides like pickles. Luckily I know enough Japanese to order the "real"
stuff. Don't know if they still do that now.

Tippi

> > They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
> > "Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
> > Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
> > non-Chinese do.

Around here (Toronto) some Chinatown restaurents will forgo the tax if
you pay with cash. They don't do it for non-Chinese probably because
they're afraid someone would report them to the government.

> That reminds me of another
> turn-off: places that have Chinese menus that are not
> translated--and that they won't give non-Asians.

Reminds me of the time I was in a conference in a big hotel in L.A. The
Japanese restaurent had a menu with 2 different sections, 1 in English
and 1 in Japanese. The English section items came with things like
lettuce salad, the other section offered more traditional dishes like
grilled whole fish (with head) which came in a bento box with Japanese
sides like pickles. Luckily I know enough Japanese to order the "real"
stuff. Don't know if they still do that now.

Dan Logcher

Tippi wrote:
>>>They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
>>>"Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
>>>Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
>>>non-Chinese do.

> Around here (Toronto) some Chinatown restaurents will forgo the tax if
> you pay with cash. They don't do it for non-Chinese probably because
> they're afraid someone would report them to the government.

Yeah, one restaurant did that here for a banquet we had. $480 is nothing
to sneeze at.

> Reminds me of the time I was in a conference in a big hotel in L.A. The
> Japanese restaurent had a menu with 2 different sections, 1 in English
> and 1 in Japanese. The English section items came with things like
> lettuce salad, the other section offered more traditional dishes like
> grilled whole fish (with head) which came in a bento box with Japanese
> sides like pickles. Luckily I know enough Japanese to order the "real"
> stuff. Don't know if they still do that now.

They're probably doing it to protect themselves under the guise of
protecting the customer. If a customer ordered something with the head
on without knowing that's traditional.. they might freak. I know some
people freaked about the chicken and lobster heads at the banquet I
mentioned above.

Maybe they'd rather not take a chance that a customer will not like the
more authentic dishes. Reminds me of the story someone posted here about
not being allowed to order an Indian dish cuz it would be too hot.

Me? I'd rather have a more authentic meal when possible.

--
Dan