Amico

Default Bean Curd with Oyster Sauce

Bean Curd with Oyster Sauce

250 grams bean curd

3 sticks celery

6 shallots

1 red pepper

125 grams mushrooms

3 tsp. corn flour

˝ cup water

2 tbsp. oyster sauce

1 tbsp. dry sherry

2 tbsp. oil

PROCEDU

1. Cut bean curd into 2.5 cm cubes, slice celery diagonally, chop
shallots into 2.5cm lengths, seed pepper and cut chunks, slice mushrooms.

2. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in pan or wok, add the bean curd, and
toss until lightly browned, remove from pan.

3. Heat remaining oil in pan, add celery, shallots, pepper and
mushrooms, sauté one minute.

Add bean curd to pan, toss lightly. Combine corn flour, water, oyster sauce
and sherry. Add to pan, stir until sauce boils, and toss well. Serves 4.

(Recipe origin unknown.)

David Downie

By shallot do you mean red Asian shallots? Also presumably you could
subtitute chinese rice wine for the sherry?

David Downie

By shallot do you mean red Asian shallots? Also presumably you could
subtitute chinese rice wine for the sherry?

Amico

"David Downie" > wrote in message
> By shallot do you mean red Asian shallots? Also presumably you could
> subtitute chinese rice wine for the sherry?

By shallots, it means spring onions or scallions and substituting rice wine
for sherry is perfectly fine. Happy cooking!

Amico

"David Downie" > wrote in message
> By shallot do you mean red Asian shallots? Also presumably you could
> subtitute chinese rice wine for the sherry?

By shallots, it means spring onions or scallions and substituting rice wine
for sherry is perfectly fine. Happy cooking!

>By shallots, it means spring onions or scallions and substituting rice
wine
for sherry is perfectly fine.

That is not real shallots you are using in your recipe then..... as
spring onions have milder flavor than shallots.
It might affect the taste<g>.
I think David is right for the term. for shallots ...these small red
onions which has have a slight distinctive flavor if compared to
theri bigger brother<g> RED ONIONS and their stalky relative ( spring
onions)/ scallions?) ....

David Downie

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> >By shallots, it means spring onions or scallions and substituting rice

> wine
> for sherry is perfectly fine.
>
> That is not real shallots you are using in your recipe then..... as
> spring onions have milder flavor than shallots.
> It might affect the taste<g>.
> I think David is right for the term. for shallots ...these small red
> onions which has have a slight distinctive flavor if compared to
> theri bigger brother<g> RED ONIONS and their stalky relative ( spring
> onions)/ scallions?) ....

I don't think there is a 'right' and 'wrong' on this. Horses for courses. In
Australia if you tell your mother to buy shallots then chances are she will
buy spring onions. That's just the language and it changes from place to
place, cook to cook.

David Downie

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> >By shallots, it means spring onions or scallions and substituting rice

> wine
> for sherry is perfectly fine.
>
> That is not real shallots you are using in your recipe then..... as
> spring onions have milder flavor than shallots.
> It might affect the taste<g>.
> I think David is right for the term. for shallots ...these small red
> onions which has have a slight distinctive flavor if compared to
> theri bigger brother<g> RED ONIONS and their stalky relative ( spring
> onions)/ scallions?) ....

I don't think there is a 'right' and 'wrong' on this. Horses for courses. In
Australia if you tell your mother to buy shallots then chances are she will
buy spring onions. That's just the language and it changes from place to
place, cook to cook.

Hmnn...
So you're and Aussie....
Mate....If I am in Australia( in Melbourne in particular)and I want to
buy Asian ingredients for cooking say for example....shallots I will
go direclty to the Asian stores and pick the item myself.....I learn
it the hard way...
Miscommunication is common Australia....maybe because you people
pronounce many words differently.
..
One time I asked for galangal I was given GINGER by the store keeper!
I ask for some lime leaves I was given curry leaves, etc...

>That's just the language and it changes from place to
>place, cook to cook.

Therefore its not the language but the queerness how Aussies talk.and
see things.
BTW, Curry leaves , galangal, shallot are just the same whether you are
in Canada, United States and Australia, they are caled by the same
name.
If it happens that somebody gives another item instead of the one you
are looking for when it is just within the store.. that can be
construed as oddness ( or maybe ignorance?)....not mispronunciation.
Roy

Hmnn...
So you're and Aussie....
Mate....If I am in Australia( in Melbourne in particular)and I want to
buy Asian ingredients for cooking say for example....shallots I will
go direclty to the Asian stores and pick the item myself.....I learn
it the hard way...
Miscommunication is common Australia....maybe because you people
pronounce many words differently.
..
One time I asked for galangal I was given GINGER by the store keeper!
I ask for some lime leaves I was given curry leaves, etc...

>That's just the language and it changes from place to
>place, cook to cook.

Therefore its not the language but the queerness how Aussies talk.and
see things.
BTW, Curry leaves , galangal, shallot are just the same whether you are
in Canada, United States and Australia, they are caled by the same
name.
If it happens that somebody gives another item instead of the one you
are looking for when it is just within the store.. that can be
construed as oddness ( or maybe ignorance?)....not mispronunciation.
Roy

David Downie

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Miscommunication is common Australia....maybe because you people
> pronounce many words differently.

As 'you people' do. It depends on your perspective.

> One time I asked for galangal I was given GINGER by the store keeper!
> I ask for some lime leaves I was given curry leaves, etc...

Well that is the store keeper's ignorance, I agree.

>>That's just the language and it changes from place to
>>place, cook to cook.

> Therefore its not the language but the queerness how Aussies talk.and
> see things.
> BTW, Curry leaves , galangal, shallot are just the same whether you are
> in Canada, United States and Australia, they are caled by the same
> name.

In Australia, the normal meaning of shallot is green onion.

> If it happens that somebody gives another item instead of the one you
> are looking for when it is just within the store.. that can be
> construed as oddness ( or maybe ignorance?)....not mispronunciation.

No, to think a shallot is a green onion isn't odd or ignorant. That is its
name here. There is ambiguity in the word "shallot", which is why you have
to be more specific.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi David Downie,

le/on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:01 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>In Australia, the normal meaning of shallot is green onion.

Wrong.

Shallot and green onions are entirely different. It's not a case of
legitimate different naming, it's simply incorrect.

Green (or spring) onion is a young, still living, plant of a small member of
the ordinary onion family, basically it is a single bulb. Shallots usually
have divided bulbs (though the grey, & chicken thigh varieties are less so)
and often have a pinkish tinge.

>No, to think a shallot is a green onion isn't odd or ignorant. That is its
>name here. There is ambiguity in the word "shallot", which is why you have
>to be more specific.

Only in Australia (even in NZ, they know better!).

Sorry. But I've been to most English speaking parts of the globe, and Oz is
the only one where this error is made.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi David Downie,

le/on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:01 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>In Australia, the normal meaning of shallot is green onion.

Wrong.

Shallot and green onions are entirely different. It's not a case of
legitimate different naming, it's simply incorrect.

Green (or spring) onion is a young, still living, plant of a small member of
the ordinary onion family, basically it is a single bulb. Shallots usually
have divided bulbs (though the grey, & chicken thigh varieties are less so)
and often have a pinkish tinge.

>No, to think a shallot is a green onion isn't odd or ignorant. That is its
>name here. There is ambiguity in the word "shallot", which is why you have
>to be more specific.

Only in Australia (even in NZ, they know better!).

Sorry. But I've been to most English speaking parts of the globe, and Oz is
the only one where this error is made.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
David Downie

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi David Downie,
>
> le/on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:01 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>In Australia, the normal meaning of shallot is green onion.

> Wrong.
>
> Shallot and green onions are entirely different. It's not a case of
> legitimate different naming, it's simply incorrect.
>
> Green (or spring) onion is a young, still living, plant of a small member
> of
> the ordinary onion family, basically it is a single bulb. Shallots usually
> have divided bulbs (though the grey, & chicken thigh varieties are less
> so)
> and often have a pinkish tinge.

Now you've lost me. In Australia, if an Australian says shallot, or asks for
a shallot in a shop, they will be given this

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senio...oniongreen.jpg

That is what shallot means here. It isn't a mistake. That's what it means.

David.

barry

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:14:42 GMT, "David Downie" >
wrote:

>"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Salut/Hi David Downie,
>>
>> le/on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:01 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>>

>>>In Australia, the normal meaning of shallot is green onion.

>> Wrong.
>>
>> Shallot and green onions are entirely different. It's not a case of
>> legitimate different naming, it's simply incorrect.
>>
>> Green (or spring) onion is a young, still living, plant of a small member
>> of
>> the ordinary onion family, basically it is a single bulb. Shallots usually
>> have divided bulbs (though the grey, & chicken thigh varieties are less
>> so)
>> and often have a pinkish tinge.

>Now you've lost me. In Australia, if an Australian says shallot, or asks for
>a shallot in a shop, they will be given this
>
>http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senio...oniongreen.jpg
>
>That is what shallot means here. It isn't a mistake. That's what it means.
>
>David.

perhaps the abos are the civilized ones. <jk>

David Downie

Not sure how to take that comment. Badly perhaps.

David Downie

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote
in message news:425eb7ac$0>
> Are not these scallions ?

Look mate, no doubt they are called many things in many places. But here, in
Australia, they are primarily called shallots by Australians who are not
professional cooks. I don't have it in front of me, but David Thompson, in
his book Thai Food, acknolwedges in his ingredient list the trouble these
"shallots" or "spring onions" or "scallions" because because of their many
names. He is Australian.

I don't want to talk about this any more. Everyone else can talk about it if
they like. But that's the way it is here.

I don't agree with that picture. That is distinctly a spring onion!
Have a look at this!
http://www.shallot.com/gb/
That is the shallot I have known for several years.
Even skilled Asian cooks will say same thing as they know the stuff
more than western people do.
The original poster meant spring onion here just knowing how he added
it to the recipe he has provided above
Roy

>Are not these scallions ?
Sort of...
http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-green-onions.html
Roy

> I don't have it in front of me, but David Thompson, in
>his book Thai Food, acknolwedges in his ingredient list the trouble

these
>"shallots" or "spring onions" or "scallions" because because of their

many
>names. He is Australian

It sucks to be an Australian then<g>
... Mebbee one of the reason why that country was not invited in the
recent Asean summit for cooperation because the Asian cooks cannot
accept that Australia inisist to name shallot as spring onion?.<JJ>
Roy

David Downie

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> I don't have it in front of me, but David Thompson, in
>>his book Thai Food, acknolwedges in his ingredient list the trouble

> these
>>"shallots" or "spring onions" or "scallions" because because of their

> many
>>names. He is Australian

> It sucks to be an Australian then<g>
> .. Mebbee one of the reason why that country was not invited in the
> recent Asean summit for cooperation because the Asian cooks cannot
> accept that Australia inisist to name shallot as spring onion?.<JJ>

Could be. I've looked in several Australian cookbooks since and they use
"shallot" to mean spring onion (which they sometimes put in brackets
afterwoods for all the poor foreigners who don't speak the local language).

It's not a big deal. It's like "chips" meaning hot chips (fries) and "chips"
meaning crisps. You just work it out from the context!

Bean Curd with Oyster Sauce Amico Asian Cooking 0 27-03-2005 09:55 AM
Cauliflower And Green Bean Stir-Fry With Oyster Sauce Hahabogus Diabetic 0 10-10-2004 02:02 PM
Bean Curd with Crab Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-05-2004 08:58 PM
Atkins Cauliflower and Green Bean Stir-Fry with Oyster Sauce LuckyTrim Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2004 03:17 AM
BEAN CURD WITH OYSTER SAUCE Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-02-2004 01:29 PM