Old 13-02-2005, 03:00 AM
David Downie

Default oyster sauce + MSG

Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
cook with oyster sauce?
What's the latest on MSG anyway.
David.

Old 13-02-2005, 08:50 AM
[email protected]

"David Downie" wrote:
Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
they cook with oyster sauce?
What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I generally eschew MSG. I'll have to check the ingredients in my Oyster
Sauce, which I use, albeit sparingly, in many dishes. Thanks for raising
the issue.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Old 13-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Peter Dy

"David Downie" wrote in message
Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
cook with oyster sauce?

They do if there's MSG in it!

Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of Kwangtung."
On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce." No MSG. I
think it's a very good oyster sauce.

What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of this
group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if you're
interested in that.

Peter

Old 13-02-2005, 09:29 AM
David Downie

"Peter Dy" wrote in message
t...
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
they cook with oyster sauce?

They do if there's MSG in it!

Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of Kwangtung."
On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce." No MSG. I
think it's a very good oyster sauce.

ok I'll have a look. It's called "Flavouring 261" or something.

What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of this
group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if you're
interested in that.

Not really. I'm no expert, but I'd prefer my cooking to be natural, whatver
that means. I suppose if MSG was a sauce 1000 years old I'd be putting it in
by the tablespoon.

Old 13-02-2005, 09:29 AM
David Downie

wrote in message
"David Downie" wrote:
Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
they cook with oyster sauce?
What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I generally eschew MSG. I'll have to check the ingredients in my Oyster
Sauce, which I use, albeit sparingly, in many dishes. Thanks for raising
the issue.

yes, as I said in the other post, it was hidden in my list as flavour 261 or
something like that.

Old 13-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Peter Dy

"David Downie" wrote in message

"Peter Dy" wrote in message
t...
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
they cook with oyster sauce?

They do if there's MSG in it!

Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of
Kwangtung." On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce."
No MSG. I think it's a very good oyster sauce.

ok I'll have a look. It's called "Flavouring 261" or something.

Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have a
link for that?

I just looked at my bottle again, and it didn't say 261 on it (sometimes the
Chinese label gives more info than the English, but not in this case.)

I notice you spell "flavoring" funny, so maybe I should mention that the
oyster sauce without MSG I got was in the States. Though it's obviously
from Guangzhou. Oh--I see now that you're from Australia! Go to lots of
different stores, and I'm sure you'll find a brand that doesn't have MSG.
Look for PRC brands--with primitive-looking labels--as opposed to brands
from Hong Kong that look slick and modern.

What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of
this group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if
you're interested in that.

Not really. I'm no expert, but I'd prefer my cooking to be natural,
whatver that means. I suppose if MSG was a sauce 1000 years old I'd be
putting it in by the tablespoon.

OK. But MSG is indeed a lot older than one might think. I don't like
getting into arguments about it though...

Good luck in your search!

Peter

Old 13-02-2005, 10:42 AM
David Downie

"Peter Dy" wrote in message
Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have a
link for that?

It says "Flavor Enhancer (621)" on it.

Here's a link http://tinyurl.com/49fsl

Old 13-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Peter Dy

"Peter Dy" wrote in message
Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have
a link for that?

It says "Flavor Enhancer (621)" on it.

Here's a link http://tinyurl.com/49fsl

Ah, thanks, David.

Like I said, it shouldn't be hard for you to find oyster sauce that doesn't
have MSG. Just look for PRC brands.

Peter

Old 13-02-2005, 11:15 AM
[email protected]

"Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)" wrote:
[]
621 is Monosodium Glutamate
622 is Monopotassium Glutamate
623 is Calcium Glutamate

Thanks, Philippe. I'll look for them.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Old 13-02-2005, 02:59 PM
James Silverton

David Downie wrote:
Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG
when
they cook with oyster sauce?
What's the latest on MSG anyway.
David.

AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small quantities
of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a mainstay for
the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat cream cheese does
not really come up to regular cream cheese on bagels but a small
amount of MSG helps!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old 14-02-2005, 04:01 AM
ian

David Downie wrote:

Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
cook with oyster sauce?
What's the latest on MSG anyway.
David.

An article in the Washington Post this week on Pho said that almost all
Pho served in restaurants includes msg, and that in small quantities its
not harmful. The article included a Pho recipe, if you are interested.

Ian
Old 14-02-2005, 08:13 PM
David Downie

"James Silverton" wrote in message

AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small quantities of
MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a mainstay for the
low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat cream cheese does not
really come up to regular cream cheese on bagels but a small amount of MSG
helps!

I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I don't get
any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the microwave or ordering
food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to put a manufactured "make food
taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and pat myself on the shoulder. But as I
said, if it was a sauce that was traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be
thinking twice.

Old 14-02-2005, 08:13 PM
David Downie

"ian" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
An article in the Washington Post this week on Pho said that almost all
Pho served in restaurants includes msg, and that in small quantities its
not harmful. The article included a Pho recipe, if you are interested.

Ah no thanks. Not a big Pho person.

Old 15-02-2005, 03:49 AM
James Silverton

David Downie wrote:
"James Silverton" wrote in message

AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small
quantities of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is
mainstay for the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat
cream cheese does not really come up to regular cream cheese on
bagels but a small amount of MSG helps!

I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to
put
a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and
pat
myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for a
very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

Jim.

Old 15-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

David Downie wrote:

"James Silverton" wrote in message

AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small
quantities of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a
mainstay for the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat
cream cheese does not really come up to regular cream cheese on
bagels but a small amount of MSG helps!

I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to put
a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and pat
myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for a
very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

It's been around for a while, and low and behold is made from seaweed,
among other things. http://www.foodsciencebureau.com.au/nutrit/msg.htm

--
Dan