Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi sanne,

le/on 14 Jan 2005 06:23:08 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>Hi DC,
>
>> > A sharp knife at the base of the head, crosswise, straight down.
>> > Severs the spinal cord and kills them instantly, or so it seems.
>> >

>> That's what all European or Western chefs do these days, i reckon
>> if you do it quick enough, they won't suffer too much.

>Crab - yes, lobster - not legally. It's forbidden by law in Europe
>(afaik).

I think you're mistaken.

In any case, the "scream" of a lobster is only air expanding with the heat,
being forced out past the shell. All these crustaceans are really only large
marine insects, and they don't have a disseminated nervous system as we do.
Ony once did I try to kill a crab by "warning it gently till it fell
asleep". It struggled and struggled, trying to climb out for ages. Now, for
a crab, it's into boiling heavily salted water. For lobster, it's a knife at
the "cross" of the head. Instant death. FAR less cruel than halal (and
kosher) methods of butchery, and there we're talking about animals with well
developed nervous systems.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
sanne

Hi Ian,

> I think you're mistaken.

Well - I don't.

> In any case, the "scream" of a lobster is only air expanding
> with the heat, being forced out past the shell.

Never doubted that. Someone else mentioned that "scream". I didn't.

> All these crustaceans are really only large marine insects,

No! They are not insects! Eight legs - spider-cousins.
And I don't like the "only".

> and they don't have a disseminated nervous system as we do.

....are far older than mankind, can regrow a lost leg,...
And do feel pain nonetheless.

> Ony once did I try to kill a crab by "warning it gently till it
> fell asleep".

"You bad, bad crab! Please don't do that ever again - or I'll
be very unhappy!"
Well - I would have fallen asleep with a warning like that ... ;-D

> It struggled and struggled, trying to climb out for ages.

Or that.

> Now, for a crab, it's into boiling heavily salted water.

That's the general method in Europe for both lobster and crab.

> For lobster, it's a knife at the "cross" of the head. Instant death.

Done properly - yes. I think I could do that. But it's not legal
in Europe, believe me!

> FAR less cruel than halal (and kosher) methods of butchery,

Wouldn't work for crustaceae anyway. And they are "trefe" - no
matter how slaughtered.
Well - Cattle, pigs, sheep, goat, horses, chicken, geese,
ducks,... - they are slaughtered by cutting their throats.
In an ordinary slaughter-house, the big animals are stunned
first by a bolt-shot to their heads - but they are still alive
after that. Otherwise, there'd stay to much blood in the meat.
No bolt-shot when "kosher" - but the massive bloodloss stuns the
animal within seconds. No pain after the cut-throat either.

> and there we're talking about animals with well
> developed nervous systems.

Yes - and that's exactly the reason why it wouldn't work with
crustaceae.

Bye, sanne.

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." > wrote in news:1105572455.20393.0
@spandrell.news.uk.clara.net:

> Put it in the freezer, it will slowly chill then freeze, supposedly more
> humane the a bucket of boiling water.

Hmm ... I'll try that. DC, you are full of good information!

sq, "So appreciative"

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote:
> []
> We kids ate it anyway. It was delicious. But I still feel sorry for those
> poor chickens!

Well, compared to if they were livin' in the wild, I think they died
relatively quickly and painlessly.

And they sure were tasty!

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/
For info on a free (you pay only postage) herbal AIDS remedy, write to:
Dan Logcher

wrote:

>>>painless to you, or the lobster? do you believe that lobsters scream
>>>when they are plunged into boiling water? (just curious, not being
>>>sarcastic or anything)

> The crabs sure do squeak. Makes me feel bad.
>

>>That's one reason why I don't boil them. I pretend that as the cold

> water
>
>>heats up and the steam slowly evolves, they don't notice the difference
>>until they turn red. I know, don't say it, I know.

>>When I was as young as seven, and one of the hens would stop laying, my
>>gramma would ask me to bring the chicken up to the house, so she could
>>'talk to it'. Although I had names for all the chickens, I would bring
>>Henrietta (she was one of my favorites) up to the house, knowing what

> was
>
>>to happen. Grandma would slit her throat, bleed her out and we'd have
>>chicken that night. Henrietta was delicious! Panatipata, etc.

> My dad had chickens. He gave them all names. My mum said, "Why you want
> to name them, we're gonna eat them anyway!" When the time came, Dad
> couldn't bear to kill them. He said, "I've raised them since they were
> eggs!" So Mum pushed him out of the way and wrung their necks herself.
> Dad refused to touch the chicken curry.
>
> We kids ate it anyway. It was delicious. But I still feel sorry for those
> poor chickens!

your mom rocks! I'd eat it!

--
Dan

heads up ............ [email protected] Winemaking 5 28-09-2007 08:55 PM
Heads up WA.! vex Barbecue 1 23-07-2007 05:32 AM
Fried Shrimp heads Musashi Sushi 15 26-01-2005 06:51 AM