Musashi

I don't live in NYC, I merely work here. Nearly all the top Japanese =
restaurants in the
midtown area carry it as an appetizer in the winter.=20
I don't know about the village. At least not since I was a college =
student.
Village Yokocho..thats an izakaya style right? should have it.=20
I'd suspect Japonica on University Place would too.

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message =
> Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. I had forgotten that you lived in =

NYC
> also. Are there any restaurants here that would serve this? I'm near =

the
> East Village- I was thinking of maybe Village Yokocho.
>=20
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> Well, it hasn't snowed yet in NY.
> But, the Rockefeller Center Xmas tree did get
> lit up last night, and the local Japanese grocery stores
> in the NY area have started carrying Ankimo.
> For those not familar, Ankimo is the liver of the monkfish, the name =

coming
> from ANKOU=3Dmonkfish
> and Liver=3DKimo. Served cold with momijioroshi
> (red pepper grated daikon) and Ponzu, it's a wonderful seasonal little
> treat. Monkfish and its liver are a winter seasonal food in Japan, the =

ANKOU
> NABE (Monkfish hot pot) being the most well known.
>=20
> My ANKIMO Recipe:
> 1. Salt Ankimo and let sit 30 min.
> 2. Wash off salt and peel off thin skin, removing and
> veins. Wash thoroughly in cold water to drain blood.
> 3. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth. It can look round or like
> a sausage. Soak with a bit of Sake and Mirin and let
> sit 15 min.
> 4. Place wrapped Ankimo into steamer together with
> sliced shouga (ginger) and scallions.
> 5. Steam for 30-40 minutes.
> 6. Let cool overnight, then remove cheesecloth.
> 7. Slice and serve with garnish. (momijioroshi, chopped
> scallions, Ponzu).
>=20
> There are numerous numerous recipes with minor variations but the end =

result
> does not vary widely.
>=20
> Musashi
>=20
>=20
>=20

Musashi

"Tea" > wrote in message =
> Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. I had forgotten that you lived in =

NYC
> also. Are there any restaurants here that would serve this? I'm near =

the
> East Village- I was thinking of maybe Village Yokocho.
>=20
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> Well, it hasn't snowed yet in NY.
> But, the Rockefeller Center Xmas tree did get
> lit up last night, and the local Japanese grocery stores
> in the NY area have started carrying Ankimo.
> For those not familar, Ankimo is the liver of the monkfish, the name =

coming
> from ANKOU=3Dmonkfish
> and Liver=3DKimo. Served cold with momijioroshi
> (red pepper grated daikon) and Ponzu, it's a wonderful seasonal little
> treat. Monkfish and its liver are a winter seasonal food in Japan, the =

ANKOU
> NABE (Monkfish hot pot) being the most well known.
>=20
> My ANKIMO Recipe:
> 1. Salt Ankimo and let sit 30 min.
> 2. Wash off salt and peel off thin skin, removing and
> veins. Wash thoroughly in cold water to drain blood.
> 3. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth. It can look round or like
> a sausage. Soak with a bit of Sake and Mirin and let
> sit 15 min.
> 4. Place wrapped Ankimo into steamer together with
> sliced shouga (ginger) and scallions.
> 5. Steam for 30-40 minutes.
> 6. Let cool overnight, then remove cheesecloth.
> 7. Slice and serve with garnish. (momijioroshi, chopped
> scallions, Ponzu).
>=20
> There are numerous numerous recipes with minor variations but the end =

result
> does not vary widely.
>=20
> Musashi
>=20
>=20
>=20

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Gerry wrote:
>=20
> > In article >, Dan Logcher
> > > wrote:
> >

>=20
> >>It's typically a Fall/Winter items, so you don't see it in the
> >>Spring and Summer. Some chefs will freeze and keep it for the
> >>Spring and Summer, but results vary. I had some frozen ankimo
> >>that had lost a lot of flavor and its firm texture from freezing.
> >>

> >=20
> > Well it's not always fabulous, but I really like Ankimo. When it's =

not
> > so good it's usually TOO firm. Damn near heard, with little to offer
> > texturally and less flavor. Other times (perhaps now) it is softer,
> > better texture and lots of flavor.

>=20
> I've found it the other way, when it's too soft it doesn't seem to =

have
> as much flavor. I've never had it too hard.. the chefs that server it
> in my area do a pretty good job prepaping ankimo.
>=20

Dan,

Although I have never seen this personally I found this photo of Ankimo =
Gunkan Maki
on a Japanese site.

http://bug.org/~momo/diary/image/199...9/s-ankimo.jpg

Musashi

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Gerry wrote:

>>>Well it's not always fabulous, but I really like Ankimo. When it's not
>>>so good it's usually TOO firm. Damn near heard, with little to offer
>>>texturally and less flavor. Other times (perhaps now) it is softer,
>>>better texture and lots of flavor.
>>>

>>I've found it the other way, when it's too soft it doesn't seem to have
>>as much flavor. I've never had it too hard.. the chefs that server it
>>in my area do a pretty good job prepaping ankimo.
>>

> Dan,
>
> Although I have never seen this personally I found this photo of Ankimo Gunkan Maki
> on a Japanese site.
>
> http://bug.org/~momo/diary/image/199...9/s-ankimo.jpg

This is how two of the sushi bars in my area serve ankimo if not
ordered as an appetizer. The thrid place that serves ankimo only
does appetizer form, but would probably serve gunkan maki if asked.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

>>>Well it's not always fabulous, but I really like Ankimo. When it's not
>>>so good it's usually TOO firm. Damn near hard, with little to offer
>>>texturally and less flavor. Other times (perhaps now) it is softer,
>>>better texture and lots of flavor.
>>>

>>I've found it the other way, when it's too soft it doesn't seem to have
>>as much flavor. I've never had it too hard.. the chefs that server it
>>in my area do a pretty good job prepaping ankimo.
>>

> There's different tastes for all, I guess. And clearly different
> approaches to preparation. For me hard and flavorless is almost (not
> always) a given. I wonder how it's done...

I've never had hard ankimo. It's usually firm, but flakey when poked
with chopsticks. The flavorless part could be from being overcooked
or maybe being off season.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

>>>Well it's not always fabulous, but I really like Ankimo. When it's not
>>>so good it's usually TOO firm. Damn near hard, with little to offer
>>>texturally and less flavor. Other times (perhaps now) it is softer,
>>>better texture and lots of flavor.
>>>

>>I've found it the other way, when it's too soft it doesn't seem to have
>>as much flavor. I've never had it too hard.. the chefs that server it
>>in my area do a pretty good job prepaping ankimo.
>>

> There's different tastes for all, I guess. And clearly different
> approaches to preparation. For me hard and flavorless is almost (not
> always) a given. I wonder how it's done...

I've never had hard ankimo. It's usually firm, but flakey when poked
with chopsticks. The flavorless part could be from being overcooked
or maybe being off season.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Ken Blake wrote:

> In m,
> Musashi > typed:
>

>>"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>>

>>>I'll bet it was first eaten on a dare.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dan
>>>

>>Like the first oyster?
>>

> All these things that look unappetizing almost certainly weren't
> eaten on dares, but by hungry people who probably had nothing
> else to eat.

If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Ken Blake wrote:

> In m,
> Musashi > typed:
>

>>"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>>

>>>I'll bet it was first eaten on a dare.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dan
>>>

>>Like the first oyster?
>>

> All these things that look unappetizing almost certainly weren't
> eaten on dares, but by hungry people who probably had nothing
> else to eat.

If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Ken Blake wrote:
>=20
> > In m,
> > Musashi > typed:
> >=20
> >=20
> >>"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >>

> >=20

> >>Like the first oyster?
> >>

> >=20
> >=20
> > All these things that look unappetizing almost certainly weren't=20
> > eaten on dares, but by hungry people who probably had nothing=20
> > else to eat.

>=20
> If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
> ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.
>=20
> --=20
> Dan
>=20

Years ago we were scuba diving off the Jersey Shore in 80ft. The water =
was really cold
as it was early June. A Monkfish about 3ft long bit into my brothers =
swim fin, and he freaked
out and stabbed it in the head with his dive knife. He ended up coming =
back up with this
Monkfish still stuck on his fin with a knife stuck in its head. We all =
had a good laugh, and the
Capt of the Chartered boat wanted us to get this "monster" off his boat, =
but I convinced him
to let us keep it. That night we ate the tail meat. That was my only =
experience ever with a live
Monkfish.

Musashi

=20

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Ken Blake wrote:
>=20
> > In m,
> > Musashi > typed:
> >=20
> >=20
> >>"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >>

> >=20

> >>Like the first oyster?
> >>

> >=20
> >=20
> > All these things that look unappetizing almost certainly weren't=20
> > eaten on dares, but by hungry people who probably had nothing=20
> > else to eat.

>=20
> If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
> ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.
>=20
> --=20
> Dan
>=20

Years ago we were scuba diving off the Jersey Shore in 80ft. The water =
was really cold
as it was early June. A Monkfish about 3ft long bit into my brothers =
swim fin, and he freaked
out and stabbed it in the head with his dive knife. He ended up coming =
back up with this
Monkfish still stuck on his fin with a knife stuck in its head. We all =
had a good laugh, and the
Capt of the Chartered boat wanted us to get this "monster" off his boat, =
but I convinced him
to let us keep it. That night we ate the tail meat. That was my only =
experience ever with a live
Monkfish.

Musashi

=20

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message ...
>
>>If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
>>ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

> Years ago we were scuba diving off the Jersey Shore in 80ft. The water was really cold
> as it was early June. A Monkfish about 3ft long bit into my brothers swim fin, and he freaked
> out and stabbed it in the head with his dive knife. He ended up coming back up with this
> Monkfish still stuck on his fin with a knife stuck in its head. We all had a good laugh, and the
> Capt of the Chartered boat wanted us to get this "monster" off his boat, but I convinced him
> to let us keep it. That night we ate the tail meat. That was my only experience ever with a live
> Monkfish.

Must have been pretty tasty too.. fresh sea monster, I mean monkfish.

--
Dan

Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Logcher > typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> All these things that look unappetizing almost certainly
>> weren't
>> eaten on dares, but by hungry people who probably had nothing
>> else to eat.

> If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
> ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

I've never seen a monkfish, other than fillets in a restaurant,
so I'm not a good person to answer a question like that.

I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.
Nevertheless if I were starving, and had nothing else to eat,
even without knowing what it looks like, sure I would eat it.
Starving people will eat almost anything, and almost certainly
that's how people started eating all those unappetizing things
that we ask about--lobster, monkfish, oysters, etc.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Logcher > typed:

"Ken Blake" > writes:
> Dan Logcher > typed:

> > If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
> > ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

> I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.

http://images.google.com/images?q=monkfish

Unfortunately, being static images, none of those really
gets across how the thing really looks - it's skin is
kind of too loose on it and moves around. If you get
the chance, watch the Iron Chef episode where it is
Battle Monkfish.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
Dan Logcher

> "Ken Blake" > writes:
>
>>Dan Logcher > typed:
>>

>>>If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
>>>ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.
>>>

>>I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.

http://images.google.com/images?q=monkfish

Ahhhh!! I'm scared!

> Unfortunately, being static images, none of those really
> gets across how the thing really looks - it's skin is
> kind of too loose on it and moves around. If you get
> the chance, watch the Iron Chef episode where it is
> Battle Monkfish.

I saw that one. Man, they grabbed these ugly bastids and
just started whackin with clevers and such.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

> "Ken Blake" > writes:
>
>>Dan Logcher > typed:
>>

>>>If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
>>>ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.
>>>

>>I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.

http://images.google.com/images?q=monkfish

Ahhhh!! I'm scared!

> Unfortunately, being static images, none of those really
> gets across how the thing really looks - it's skin is
> kind of too loose on it and moves around. If you get
> the chance, watch the Iron Chef episode where it is
> Battle Monkfish.

I saw that one. Man, they grabbed these ugly bastids and
just started whackin with clevers and such.

--
Dan

Ken Blake

In ,
> typed:

> "Ken Blake" > writes:
>> Dan Logcher > typed:

>> > If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else
>> > had
>> > ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

>> I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.

http://images.google.com/images?q=monkfish

Yup. Ugly and doesn't look at all appetizing.

> Unfortunately, being static images, none of those really
> gets across how the thing really looks - it's skin is
> kind of too loose on it and moves around.

I'll take your word for it.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> If you get
> the chance, watch the Iron Chef episode where it is
> Battle Monkfish.

Ken Blake

In ,
> typed:

> "Ken Blake" > writes:
>> Dan Logcher > typed:

>> > If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else
>> > had
>> > ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

>> I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.

http://images.google.com/images?q=monkfish

Yup. Ugly and doesn't look at all appetizing.

> Unfortunately, being static images, none of those really
> gets across how the thing really looks - it's skin is
> kind of too loose on it and moves around.

I'll take your word for it.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> If you get
> the chance, watch the Iron Chef episode where it is
> Battle Monkfish.

Dan Logcher

I don't think we're shunning it, just saying it's an ugly *******.

> Don't knock it till you've tried it!

Love it! Can't get enough of it! Mmmmmmmmmmm!

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Musashi wrote:
>=20
> > "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =

> >=20
> >>If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
> >>ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

> >=20
> > Years ago we were scuba diving off the Jersey Shore in 80ft. The =

water was really cold
> > as it was early June. A Monkfish about 3ft long bit into my brothers =

swim fin, and he freaked
> > out and stabbed it in the head with his dive knife. He ended up =

coming back up with this
> > Monkfish still stuck on his fin with a knife stuck in its head. We =

all had a good laugh, and the
> > Capt of the Chartered boat wanted us to get this "monster" off his =

boat, but I convinced him
> > to let us keep it. That night we ate the tail meat. That was my only =

experience ever with a live
> > Monkfish.

>=20
> Must have been pretty tasty too.. fresh sea monster, I mean monkfish.
>=20
> --=20
> Dan

It was. I remember we marinated the tail with a soysauce/mirin mixture =
and broiled
it whole.=20

Ken Blake

In . com,
Musashi > typed:

> However, I do think the flavor is excellent. It's
> really in the past 10-15 years(?)
> maybe that Monkfish has been sold in most fish stores in the
> US.
> By now many many people in the US have tried it and it is quite
> popular.

Yup, although I first had it much longer ago than that. I can't
remember the first time, but I'm sure it was at least 25 years
ago.

I don't remember whether anyone mentioned it before in this
thread, but it is (or at least used to be) often called by its
French name, "lotte." I *think* the first time I had it, it was
in a French restaurant and called "lotte."

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Dan Logcher

Ken Blake wrote:

> In . com,
> Musashi > typed:
>

>>However, I do think the flavor is excellent. It's
>>really in the past 10-15 years(?)
>>maybe that Monkfish has been sold in most fish stores in the
>>US.
>>By now many many people in the US have tried it and it is quite
>>popular.
>>

> Yup, although I first had it much longer ago than that. I can't
> remember the first time, but I'm sure it was at least 25 years
> ago.

First time I had it was in a bouillabaisse, probably about 10 years
ago. The saffron flavor made the meat very savory, it was delicious.
I've had it a few more times since, but have had ankimo countless
times.

Now I think I will endeavor to steam my own.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Ken Blake wrote:

> In . com,
> Musashi > typed:
>

>>However, I do think the flavor is excellent. It's
>>really in the past 10-15 years(?)
>>maybe that Monkfish has been sold in most fish stores in the
>>US.
>>By now many many people in the US have tried it and it is quite
>>popular.
>>

> Yup, although I first had it much longer ago than that. I can't
> remember the first time, but I'm sure it was at least 25 years
> ago.

First time I had it was in a bouillabaisse, probably about 10 years
ago. The saffron flavor made the meat very savory, it was delicious.
I've had it a few more times since, but have had ankimo countless
times.

Now I think I will endeavor to steam my own.

--
Dan

Graeme...in London

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > In ,
> > > typed:

> I'll chime in here and say so much, that as far as white fish meat goes,
> monkfish rules the roost. Nothing can compare to a monkfish tail (or wing

on
> larger fish) for quality, texture and flavour.
>
> This fish may be shunned upon on this group, but I'll willingly eat it
> before any other (white) fish you put in front of me, with no exceptions.
> Hake is a close second though.
>
> Don't knock it till you've tried it!

I don't know if I would agree that it's the "best" white meat fish, the
reason being that
it has a lobster-meat type of musculature and texture that is different from
most other
white meat fish. However, I do think the flavor is excellent. It's really in
the past 10-15 years(?)
maybe that Monkfish has been sold in most fish stores in the US.
By now many many people in the US have tried it and it is quite popular.

Musashi,

What I actually meant by "best" should actually have read as unique, as far
as white fish meat goes. The versatility of monkfish knows no bounds and IMO
it is the best and most adaptable that there is.

Alas, it has been overfished around these shores and the market price has
increased dramatically due to EU fishing restrictions. I still have several
pounds in my freezer from a purchase of 1 stone (16lbs) that I made in the
summer.

Sorry for the confusion, and if you can get the tails and wings cheap now,
stock up, as you will see a dramatic increase in price shortly. (prices have
more than doubled in the UK)

Graeme

blake murphy

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:33:14 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Dan Logcher > typed:
>
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> All these things that look unappetizing almost certainly
>>> weren't
>>> eaten on dares, but by hungry people who probably had nothing
>>> else to eat.

>> If you pulled up a monkfish, would you eat it if noone else had
>> ever? I'd feed it to the dog maybe.. see if it lives.

>I've never seen a monkfish, other than fillets in a restaurant,
>so I'm not a good person to answer a question like that.
>
>I'll take your work for it that it's ugly and unappetizing.
>Nevertheless if I were starving, and had nothing else to eat,
>even without knowing what it looks like, sure I would eat it.
>Starving people will eat almost anything, and almost certainly
>that's how people started eating all those unappetizing things
>that we ask about--lobster, monkfish, oysters, etc.

don't forget rats!

your pal,
blake

Musashi

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . com...
>=20
> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > > In ,

> > I'll chime in here and say so much, that as far as white fish meat =

goes,
> > monkfish rules the roost. Nothing can compare to a monkfish tail (or =

wing
> on
> > larger fish) for quality, texture and flavour.
> >
> > This fish may be shunned upon on this group, but I'll willingly eat =

it
> > before any other (white) fish you put in front of me, with no =

exceptions.
> > Hake is a close second though.
> >
> > Don't knock it till you've tried it!
> >

>=20
> I don't know if I would agree that it's the "best" white meat fish, =

the
> reason being that
> it has a lobster-meat type of musculature and texture that is =

different from
> most other
> white meat fish. However, I do think the flavor is excellent. It's =

really in
> the past 10-15 years(?)
> maybe that Monkfish has been sold in most fish stores in the US.
> By now many many people in the US have tried it and it is quite =

popular.
>=20
> Musashi,
>=20
> What I actually meant by "best" should actually have read as unique, =

as far
> as white fish meat goes. The versatility of monkfish knows no bounds =

and IMO
> it is the best and most adaptable that there is.
>=20
> Alas, it has been overfished around these shores and the market price =

has
> increased dramatically due to EU fishing restrictions. I still have =

several
> pounds in my freezer from a purchase of 1 stone (16lbs) that I made in =

the
> summer.
>=20
> Sorry for the confusion, and if you can get the tails and wings cheap =

now,
> stock up, as you will see a dramatic increase in price shortly. =

(prices have
> more than doubled in the UK)
>=20
> Graeme
>=20

Graeme;

Could you explain the use of the terms "tails and wings"?
In the US only the tails of Monkfish are sold.
Also only the "wings" of Skates are sold.

Thanks
Musashi

parrotheada1a

I actually caught one a few summers ago while on a party boat out of
New Hampshire. Was really rough fishing that summer, groundfish stocks
were really low. The captain of the boat asked me if I was gonna keep
it.... seems he had the same thing in mind as I had. I made LIVE
sashimi right then & there. The mate & I clubbed the sucker, then I cut
a nice sized portion off the side. Skinned, sliced and ready for the
wasabi in half a heartbeat. Of course I gave some to the captain, he
ate it like a man who'd died & gone to heaven. And you wouldn't
believe the nasty looks we got from some of the other people on the
boat when the cap'n gave me a pair of free tix for another trip.

Hake is the nuts for so many preparations, but my favorite is to gently
poach smallish slices in dashi & shoyu. Once it's turned opaque,
sprinkle with a very little sansho.

Musashi

"parrotheada1a" > wrote in message =
oups.com...
> I actually caught one a few summers ago while on a party boat out of
> New Hampshire. Was really rough fishing that summer, groundfish stocks
> were really low. The captain of the boat asked me if I was gonna keep
> it.... seems he had the same thing in mind as I had. I made LIVE
> sashimi right then & there. The mate & I clubbed the sucker, then I =

cut
> a nice sized portion off the side. Skinned, sliced and ready for the
> wasabi in half a heartbeat. Of course I gave some to the captain, he
> ate it like a man who'd died & gone to heaven. And you wouldn't
> believe the nasty looks we got from some of the other people on the
> boat when the cap'n gave me a pair of free tix for another trip.
>=20
> Hake is the nuts for so many preparations, but my favorite is to =

gently
> poach smallish slices in dashi & shoyu. Once it's turned opaque,
> sprinkle with a very little sansho.
>=20

Very interesting story.
Is Hake what you used for inboard sashimi?
I would worry a bit about parasites.
In Japan, Codfish, the close relative of Hake, is not served raw.
However, regionally it is eaten as "tataki" raw but seared on the =
outside.
More commonly it is a staple for a hotpot so certainly Hake would lend
itself to poaching.

Musashi

Dan Logcher

parrotheada1a wrote:

> I actually caught one a few summers ago while on a party boat out of
> New Hampshire. Was really rough fishing that summer, groundfish stocks
> were really low. The captain of the boat asked me if I was gonna keep
> it.... seems he had the same thing in mind as I had. I made LIVE
> sashimi right then & there. The mate & I clubbed the sucker, then I cut
> a nice sized portion off the side. Skinned, sliced and ready for the
> wasabi in half a heartbeat. Of course I gave some to the captain, he
> ate it like a man who'd died & gone to heaven. And you wouldn't
> believe the nasty looks we got from some of the other people on the
> boat when the cap'n gave me a pair of free tix for another trip.

I would have given you nasty looks if you hadn't offered me some,
cuz I would have been drooling all over the deck.

--
Dan

Ankimo Page Dan Logcher Sushi 3 13-04-2006 05:39 PM
Ankimo Dan Logcher Sushi 5 23-01-2006 06:35 PM
ankimo Blair P. Houghton Sushi 5 23-01-2006 03:26 PM
Ankimo Scored Dan Logcher Sushi 32 27-01-2005 07:35 PM
Winter is here-Ankimo Musashi Sushi 75 08-12-2004 04:12 PM