FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   Rice cooker recommendations (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/46377-rice-cooker-recommendations.html)

Adam 30-11-2004 08:39 PM

Rice cooker recommendations

I'm currently using an el-cheapo ($7.99 at target when I got it!)
Sunbeam rice cooker. Unfortunately, it burns the rice if I don't watch
it - so, I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any recommendations?
It'd be for serving 3-4 people typically.
Thanks!

kalanamak 30-11-2004 11:10 PM

Adam wrote:

> I'm currently using an el-cheapo ($7.99 at target when I got it!)
> Sunbeam rice cooker. Unfortunately, it burns the rice if I don't watch
> it - so, I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any recommendations?
> It'd be for serving 3-4 people typically.
> Thanks!

Price range, please.

Adam 01-12-2004 07:21 AM

kalanamak wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>
>>I'm currently using an el-cheapo ($7.99 at target when I got it!)
>>Sunbeam rice cooker. Unfortunately, it burns the rice if I don't watch
>>it - so, I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any recommendations?
>> It'd be for serving 3-4 people typically.
>>Thanks!

> Price range, please.

I'm not sure what to spend? I'd hope for under $50 USD, but if there is
some neato feature or neccesary function I can get for $100, then that's
ok? So, I guess under $100 USD maximum?
Is that realistic?

Roy 01-12-2004 04:13 PM

I also had one of those cheap rice cookers and it always burned the
rice. I bought this one on ebay and it makes perfect rice as far as I
know. I am not Asian and don't eat much rice, wish I could prepare
some Asian food that is near as good as that found in Asian
restaurants. Any suggestions on something easy and good for a
beginner. I don't have a wok but do have a great rice cooker and cast
iron skillets. I do have an electric range which I am told will not
properly heat a wok.
Roy

DJ Daimon 02-12-2004 12:43 AM

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 02:21:30 -0500, Adam > wrote:

>kalanamak wrote:
>> Adam wrote:
>>
>>>I'm currently using an el-cheapo ($7.99 at target when I got it!)
>>>Sunbeam rice cooker. Unfortunately, it burns the rice if I don't watch
>>>it - so, I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any recommendations?
>>> It'd be for serving 3-4 people typically.
>>>Thanks!

>> Price range, please.

>I'm not sure what to spend? I'd hope for under $50 USD, but if there is
>some neato feature or neccesary function I can get for $100, then that's
>ok? So, I guess under $100 USD maximum?
>Is that realistic?

I've got a nice National Brand one that does up to 5 cooks uncooked/10
cups cooked and also does steamer duty, with an auto shut-off feature.
It ran me about $65CDN or thereabouts a few years ago, if I recall
correctly...

Ontario Metal Pages - The Ultimate Authority on Metal in Ontario
http://www.ontariometal.net

Advertise here for only $14.95 per month. Ask me how.

DJ Daimon 02-12-2004 12:43 AM

Jimbo 02-12-2004 11:23 AM

Please consider a fuzzy logic cooker........
Perfect rice every time any kind .
Very popular in Asian homes.....
http://www.everythinghome.com/zonsmifurico.html

Tippi 02-12-2004 05:24 PM

Here is a rice cooker pot for the microwave, it wouldn't burn the rice :-)

Tippi 02-12-2004 05:24 PM

Here is a rice cooker pot for the microwave, it wouldn't burn the rice :-)

John Droge 07-12-2004 04:48 AM

"Roy" > wrote in message
> I also had one of those cheap rice cookers and it always burned the
> rice. I bought this one on ebay and it makes perfect rice as far as I
> know. I am not Asian and don't eat much rice, wish I could prepare
> some Asian food that is near as good as that found in Asian
> restaurants. Any suggestions on something easy and good for a
> beginner. I don't have a wok but do have a great rice cooker and cast
> iron skillets. I do have an electric range which I am told will not
> properly heat a wok.
> Roy

Roy
Bulgogi and Kalbi Gui are easy and good for the beginner with only a
charcoal grill, broiler, or skillet (in order of preference)
John

[email protected] 07-12-2004 05:38 AM

"John Droge" > wrote:
> "Roy" > wrote in message

> > I also had one of those cheap rice cookers and it always burned the
> > rice. I bought this one on ebay and it makes perfect rice as far as I
> > know. I am not Asian and don't eat much rice, wish I could prepare
> > some Asian food that is near as good as that found in Asian
> > restaurants. Any suggestions on something easy and good for a
> > beginner. I don't have a wok but do have a great rice cooker and cast
> > iron skillets. I do have an electric range which I am told will not
> > properly heat a wok.
> > Roy
> >

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2&item=4325261
> 347
>
> Roy
> Bulgogi and Kalbi Gui are easy and good for the beginner with only a
> charcoal grill, broiler, or skillet (in order of preference)

Thai 'Tom Ka Gai', 'Po Tak' and 'Tom Yum Goong' are easy soups to prepare
in a pot or saucepan. Served with rice, of course.

--
Nick. Remember Pearl Harbor, 7:55 AM, 7 December, 1941

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

Jimbo 09-12-2004 12:00 PM

the terms:
Micro computerized Fuzzy Logic temperature control system .......
words are the key to perfect every time any brand/kind of rice
well worth the extra $30 over a ten year use period or more.
Mine is eight years old and going strong.......
been cooking rice 4 to 5 times a week and it never never came out a flop.