"Musashi" > wrote:
> "decay" > wrote in message =
> > > Forgove my ignorance, but what are dashi and shoyu?

> > Dashi is fish broth (bonito), in a powder form.

> Dashi is "stock" and can be made from Katsuo-bushi (dried bonito =
> flakes),
> Iriko (dried anchovies) or Konbu (kelp).

Takezo-san,

I have never heard of dashi being made only with konbu. Is this a regional
thing?

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Musashi

> wrote in message =

> > > Dashi is fish broth (bonito), in a powder form.

> > Dashi is "stock" and can be made from Katsuo-bushi (dried bonito =3D
> > flakes),
> > Iriko (dried anchovies) or Konbu (kelp).
> >

> Takezo-san,
>=20
> I have never heard of dashi being made only with konbu. Is this a =

regional
> thing?
>=20

No not regional. If we are thinking of common dashi uses such as =
Miso-shiru or Suimono,
then yes you would never see "Konbu-Only" dashi.
But you may see a Konbu-only dashi for other things, such=20
as a mizutaki (hot pot using water?).

Musashi

"Musashi" > wrote:
> []
> Oh I just remebered another well known use of Konbu-dashi is for =
> Yu-Doufu
> (Tofu in hot dashi).

Wow! I haven't had yu-dofu in over 20 years! Thanks for the reminder.

Hiyayako in the summer, yudofu in the winter. Am I remembering right?

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Musashi

> wrote in message =
> "Musashi" > wrote:
> > []
> > Oh I just remebered another well known use of Konbu-dashi is for =3D
> > Yu-Doufu
> > (Tofu in hot dashi).

>=20
> Wow! I haven't had yu-dofu in over 20 years! Thanks for the reminder.
>=20
> Hiyayako in the summer, yudofu in the winter. Am I remembering right?
>=20

Yes, that's right.

decay

Musashi wrote:
> > wrote in message ...
>
>>"Musashi" > wrote:
>>
>>>[]
>>>Oh I just remebered another well known use of Konbu-dashi is for =
>>>Yu-Doufu
>>>(Tofu in hot dashi).

>>Wow! I haven't had yu-dofu in over 20 years! Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>Hiyayako in the summer, yudofu in the winter. Am I remembering right?
>>

> Yes, that's right.

I had some a couple nights ago, during a cold snap here. Yum!