FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   Black Soy Sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/419242-black-soy-sauce.html)

Jim Elbrecht 07-08-2012 09:54 PM

Black Soy Sauce

I was looking over the soy sauce selection at the Asian store and some
Healthy boy Brand "Black Soy Sauce" caught my eye.

It is thickened with molasses, and since I like molasses, I thought it
might be fun.

It is thick enough that if you tilt the bottle, you can't see light
through it for a couple minutes. I would be more tempted to call it
soy flavored molasses, than molasses flavored soy sauce.

It might be too much for me for a dipping sauce. I've tried it on
white and brown rice, some lentils, and a couple vegetable and bean
salads.

I can't place what it would be 'just right' for. Any thoughts on a
recipe that would benefit from the very molasses flavored soy sauce?

I haven't tried cooking with it yet-

Jim

[email protected] 16-08-2012 07:35 PM

Black Soy Sauce

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:54:19 PM UTC-4, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I was looking over the soy sauce selection at the Asian store and some
>
> Healthy boy Brand "Black Soy Sauce" caught my eye.
>

> It is thickened with molasses, and since I like molasses, I thought it
>
> might be fun.
>

> It is thick enough that if you tilt the bottle, you can't see light
>
> through it for a couple minutes. I would be more tempted to call it
>
> soy flavored molasses, than molasses flavored soy sauce.
>

> It might be too much for me for a dipping sauce. I've tried it on
>
> white and brown rice, some lentils, and a couple vegetable and bean
>
> salads.
>

> I can't place what it would be 'just right' for. Any thoughts on a
>
> recipe that would benefit from the very molasses flavored soy sauce?
>

> I haven't tried cooking with it yet-
>

> Jim

It is used like a food colouring in certain dishes, if regular soy sauce does not give a dark enough colour. So it is not used by itself outside of cooking.

[email protected] 20-08-2012 10:08 PM

Black Soy Sauce

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:54:19 PM UTC-5, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I was looking over the soy sauce selection at the Asian store and some
>
> Healthy boy Brand "Black Soy Sauce" caught my eye.
>

> It is thickened with molasses, and since I like molasses, I thought it
>
> might be fun.
>

> It is thick enough that if you tilt the bottle, you can't see light
>
> through it for a couple minutes. I would be more tempted to call it
>
> soy flavored molasses, than molasses flavored soy sauce.
>

> It might be too much for me for a dipping sauce. I've tried it on
>
> white and brown rice, some lentils, and a couple vegetable and bean
>
> salads.
>

> I can't place what it would be 'just right' for. Any thoughts on a
>
> recipe that would benefit from the very molasses flavored soy sauce?
>

> I haven't tried cooking with it yet-
>

> Jim

ithink that you are talking about sweet soy, i use it on pork, shrimp and sweet and sour just experiment

[email protected] 20-08-2012 10:09 PM

Black Soy Sauce