Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Question about glass noodles

Hi. I went to a Korean restaurant today and had a dish with glass
noodles. I really enjoyed them. I've had them before but today I
thought I'd buy some and try making them myself. I haven't bought any
yet, but I have a question: are all glass noodles the same? I know
glass noodles are used in other asian cuisines too. So, I'm just
wondering if I should only buy glass noodles that are labelled as
Korean glass noodles or whether other glass noodles are no different.

Thanks.

Sky

Posted to alt.food.asian

Hello Sky,

> are all glass noodles the same?

No. There are some made from rice (thin, thick or wide), others
(the most commonly known) from mung-bean starch, and there
also are some made from sweet-potato starch. There, the color
is greyish - and those are the ones normally used in Korean dishes.

Bye, sanne.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizcurlz View Post
The difference mostly is the ingredients used on them. Just like pasta. different pasta, different ingredients. There are readily available in grocery stores for those noodles but I would suggest that you study making them yourself. It is fun and easy actually (but of course making pasta noodles is easier as the ingredients are much more familiar)..
I love Korean food, but there are so many different components, I can never seem to get it right. Starting with noodles, how do you cook these for soups, for example, without turning them mushy?
Banned

Location: China
Send a message via MSN to shoesgoshop
Thumbs up

its a great idea for me.
Senior Member

Location: New York

You will find glass noodles similar in most of the Asian countries. Chinese glass noodles are more tastier than Korean glass noodles.

Member

I disagree I had korean noodles recetly and loved them, I think they are a bit tastier than chinese ones. After I read this thread I tried to make them and I used this recipe, but does that sticky sauce part of them come just from the noodles or does it require a different ingredient? because mine werent as sticky as ones I have had in restaurants.

Last edited by bjorn222 : 02-03-2012 at 09:52 AM