Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Default The Making of Nuoc Mau

Here my description of the making of nuoc mau - Vietnamese caramel
sauce. It is a required flavoring for thit nuong (grilled pork
chops), kho dishes (stews), meatballs, grilled beef, and many
other dishes in Vietnamese cuisine.

This is for serious cooks that are into making authentic
Vietnamese dishes.

http://yfrog.com/mtnuocmauhalfwayjx

I tried adding comments but that site sucks - so the gallery is
not that useful. The complete description can be found he
http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/...mel-sauce.html

And uses:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...se-kho-dishes/

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> Here my description of the making of nuoc mau - Vietnamese caramel
> sauce. It is a required flavoring for thit nuong (grilled pork
> chops), kho dishes (stews), meatballs, grilled beef, and many
> other dishes in Vietnamese cuisine.
>
> This is for serious cooks that are into making authentic
> Vietnamese dishes.
>
> http://yfrog.com/mtnuocmauhalfwayjx
>
> I tried adding comments but that site sucks - so the gallery is
> not that useful. The complete description can be found he
> http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/...mel-sauce.html
>
> And uses:
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...se-kho-dishes/
>
> -sw

I made such a mess of my pot when I made caramel pork that I never
tried that again. So, thanks.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve wrote:

> Here my description of the making of nuoc mau - Vietnamese caramel
> sauce. It is a required flavoring for thit nuong (grilled pork
> chops), kho dishes (stews), meatballs, grilled beef, and many
> other dishes in Vietnamese cuisine.
>
> This is for serious cooks that are into making authentic
> Vietnamese dishes.
>
> http://yfrog.com/mtnuocmauhalfwayjx
>
> I tried adding comments but that site sucks - so the gallery is
> not that useful. The complete description can be found he
> http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/...mel-sauce.html
>
> And uses:
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...se-kho-dishes/

The top half of my Farberware double boiler doesn't get much use, but it's
perfect for making nuoc mau. The bottom of the pan is very thin, so when you
put it into water to stop the sugar from cooking further, there's very
little residual heat in the metal, so the cooking stops almost instantly.
The bottom of the pan is rounded, so it's easy to stir and swirl.

http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla.../dp/B00004RGB7

The pan is also shiny on the bottom, which allows for easy monitoring of the
color. Trying to make nuoc mau in a cast-iron skillet would be a nightmare!

Using an expensive pan with a bonded bottom is asking for trouble; the heat
differential as the hot pan is put into the cold water could cause the
metals to delaminate, ruining the pan. It's best to use a pan with a thin
bottom, and most cheap pans would do just fine.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>
>> Here my description of the making of nuoc mau - Vietnamese caramel
>> sauce. It is a required flavoring for thit nuong (grilled pork
>> chops), kho dishes (stews), meatballs, grilled beef, and many
>> other dishes in Vietnamese cuisine.
>>
>> This is for serious cooks that are into making authentic
>> Vietnamese dishes.
>>
>> http://yfrog.com/mtnuocmauhalfwayjx
>>
>> I tried adding comments but that site sucks - so the gallery is
>> not that useful. The complete description can be found he
>> http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/...mel-sauce.html
>>
>> And uses:
>> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...se-kho-dishes/

> The top half of my Farberware double boiler doesn't get much use, but it's
> perfect for making nuoc mau. The bottom of the pan is very thin, so when
> you put it into water to stop the sugar from cooking further, there's very
> little residual heat in the metal, so the cooking stops almost instantly.
> The bottom of the pan is rounded, so it's easy to stir and swirl.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla.../dp/B00004RGB7
>
> The pan is also shiny on the bottom, which allows for easy monitoring of
> the color. Trying to make nuoc mau in a cast-iron skillet would be a
> nightmare!
>
> Using an expensive pan with a bonded bottom is asking for trouble; the
> heat differential as the hot pan is put into the cold water could cause
> the metals to delaminate, ruining the pan. It's best to use a pan with a
> thin bottom, and most cheap pans would do just fine.
>
> Bob

Excellent idea! I've got the same pans and have only used the top pot twice
in 10 years. I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks Bob, and Steve too for posting the instructions.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

even if you are, you are most entertaining from the net, Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:33:36 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> I made such a mess of my pot when I made caramel pork that I never
>> tried that again. So, thanks.

> I always use that particular pan to make nuoc mau, and not much
> else. It's a $70 All-clad non-stick that was given to me by
> somebody who turned out to be bad news. So I'm trying to destroy
> it.
>
> Every time I dunk that 400F pan into the cold water bath I say,
> "Die! Die!", but it just sizzles, steams, and mocks me. Can't you
> hear it?
>
> http://a.yfrog.com/img826/2818/nuocm...gpanquickl.jpg
>
> -sw (I'm not psycho, I swear!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

> I always use that particular pan to make nuoc mau, and not much
> else. It's a $70 All-clad non-stick that was given to me by
> somebody who turned out to be bad news. So I'm trying to destroy
> it.

Om gave you a pan?
Posted to alt.food.asian

Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > I always use that particular pan to make nuoc mau, and not much
> > else. It's a $70 All-clad non-stick that was given to me by
> > somebody who turned out to be bad news. So I'm trying to destroy
> > it.

> Om gave you a pan?

ROTFLMFAO

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ Thank a Veteran! Support Our Troops!
http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On 8/2/2010 9:33 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> http://yfrog.com/mtnuocmauhalfwayjx
>>
>> I tried adding comments but that site sucks - so the gallery is
>> not that useful. The complete description can be found he
>> http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/...mel-sauce.html
>>
>> And uses:
>> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...se-kho-dishes/
>>
>> -sw

> I made such a mess of my pot when I made caramel pork that I never
> tried that again. So, thanks.

After you empty the pot, fill it with sudsy water and let it soak for an
hour or so, then it should come clean.

Nuoc Mam Fish Sauce Michael \(piedmont\) General Cooking 4 22-10-2010 06:53 AM
The Making of Nuoc Mau Sqwertz General Cooking 18 05-08-2010 01:20 PM
Nuoc Mam Cham Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:06 PM
Caramel Sauce (Nuoc Mau) Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 0 14-09-2005 06:05 PM
Where is nuoc mam made? Mokiem@n Wine 0 09-07-2004 02:33 AM