Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Pickled Bitter Melon (Thai Ma Ra)

I love garlic sour dill pickles. I want to try pickling bitter melon in a
similar manner. Has anyone here done that? Here's what I have. What might I
consider changing? Thanks.

Garlic Dill Pickles or Bitter Melon (Thai Ma Ra)

For each 1 quart wide-mouthed jar: Stuff jar with cukes cut in half,
slices, spears, or whole. Cut Ma Ra in half and remove seeds.

Option: Add one jalapeño or habanero pepper sliced in half lengthwise.

Add

4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1 tsp sugar [or Splenda]
3 chopped garlic cloves
1/3 cup vinegar
1 Tbs mustard seed
1 large or 2 small whole Allspice berries
6 sprigs Dill (Thai Pak Chee Lao)

Use these amounts for each quart of pickles.

Top off with boiling water. Screw lid on tight and shake jar to dissolve
any salt deposits in the bottom.

Then loosen the lid and leave at room temp for about five or six days,
tightening lid and inverting once or twice a day, then re-loosening lid.

Refrigerate thereafter.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 03:35:59 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2010 06:22:36 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>> This seems to be some combination of fermented and vinegar cured
>>> pickle. You might want to ask rec.food.preserving, but my opinion
>>> is that you can't mix the two. There will be no lactic acid
>>> formation leaving the jar at room temperature when there is
>>> vinegar in the solution, so there is no use sitting it out on the
>>> counter like kimchi or real fermented pickles (Bubbies, Ba Tempte,
>>> Nathan's).

>> [ . . . ]
>>
>> Thanks, Steve. I posted the same question on r.f.p at the same time and am
>> waiting for comments.
>>
>> Wikipedia says, "A pickled cucumber (commonly pickle in Australia, Canada,
>> and the United States) is a cucumber that has been pickled in a brine,
>> vinegar, or other solution and left to ferment for a period of time." We
>> all know that they're never wrong!
>>
>> The recipes for Vlasic and Claussen clones are similar to what I posted.

> I'm not going to play with other people's definition of
> "fermented" since I may have a more stringent definition of
> "ferment" than most. I'd just tell you that there's a HUGE
> difference between pickled herring and surstromming!

i won't argue the point as long as they don't **** with fermented
beverages.

your pal,
blake

Pickling Bitter Melon (Thai Ma Ra) Nick Cramer Preserving 2 26-06-2010 07:44 AM
Bitter Melon how to? Steve Pope General Cooking 12 24-04-2009 05:46 AM
Bitter melon Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 17-02-2009 06:13 AM
Raw Bitter Melon ggg Asian Cooking 16 26-11-2004 08:55 PM
bitter melon Blanche Nonken Preserving 8 08-02-2004 04:44 AM