Posted to alt.food.asian

Default 'Steak Chinois' - 'Chinese beef'

Hello all....

Many years ago in a French speaking country I frequented a 'chinese'
restaurant which served the dish named in the subject.

It was mainly a beef served with abundant thick spicy dark brown sauce.

Is this a known 'standard' Chinese dish?

If yes, where do I find the recipe?

Thanks for comments

regards

Geir
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:36:33 +0200, Geir Holmavatn wrote:

> Hello all....
>
> Many years ago in a French speaking country I frequented a 'chinese'
> restaurant which served the dish named in the subject.
>
> It was mainly a beef served with abundant thick spicy dark brown sauce.
>
> Is this a known 'standard' Chinese dish?
>
> If yes, where do I find the recipe?

The number of "brown sauces" that adorns Chinese food is limited
only by the number of restaurants. Every restaurant has it's own
"house brown sauce", often based on oyster sauce and any number of
25 other ingredients.

In other words, it would be very hard to point you to a recipe
never having tasted the dish in question.

I like tenderized beef (tenderized with baking soda) stirfried
with garlic and onion, in oyster sauce with chicken stock and
sesame oil.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

can you describe the tenderizing with baking soda process? Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:36:33 +0200, Geir Holmavatn wrote:
>
>> Hello all....
>>
>> Many years ago in a French speaking country I frequented a 'chinese'
>> restaurant which served the dish named in the subject.
>>
>> It was mainly a beef served with abundant thick spicy dark brown sauce.
>>
>> Is this a known 'standard' Chinese dish?
>>
>> If yes, where do I find the recipe?

> The number of "brown sauces" that adorns Chinese food is limited
> only by the number of restaurants. Every restaurant has it's own
> "house brown sauce", often based on oyster sauce and any number of
> 25 other ingredients.
>
> In other words, it would be very hard to point you to a recipe
> never having tasted the dish in question.
>
> I like tenderized beef (tenderized with baking soda) stirfried
> with garlic and onion, in oyster sauce with chicken stock and
> sesame oil.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:36:33 +0200, Geir Holmavatn wrote:

> Hello all....
>
> Many years ago in a French speaking country I frequented a 'chinese'
> restaurant which served the dish named in the subject.
>
> It was mainly a beef served with abundant thick spicy dark brown sauce.
>
> Is this a known 'standard' Chinese dish?
>
> If yes, where do I find the recipe?
>
> Thanks for comments
>
> regards
>
> Geir

i would guess it's a steak marinated in (mainly) ginger, soy and garlic,
then broiled or fried, and served with your sauce.

as for 'standard,' most chinese are not in a position that they could serve
a whole steak to one person. it might also violate some kind of yin/yang
food principle, whatever it's called.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian

This is a Hong Kong dish, "Tenderloin Chinese style". Here is a recipe

200g beef tenderloin, sliced, marinated with :
ground pepper - dash
suagr 1 tsp
corn starch 2 tsp
chinese wine1/2 tsp
oil 1/2 tsp
dark soy 1 Tbsp
light soy 1 Tbsp
water 1 Tbsp

Mix the sauce:
ketchup 3/4 Tbsp
Worcester sauce 3/4 Tbsp
OK sauce 1 tsp
sugar 1/2 tsp
chinese wine 1/2 tsp
salt - dash

Fry sliced onions, remove, then fry beef until medium. Add sauce and
onions and cook to your liking.

Note: OK sauce is a UK product, I think steak sauce in North America
is a good substitute.

Posted to alt.food.asian

> Tippi > wrote:

>This is a Hong Kong dish, "Tenderloin Chinese style". Here is a recipe
>
>200g beef tenderloin, sliced, marinated with :
>ground pepper - dash
>suagr 1 tsp
>corn starch 2 tsp
>chinese wine1/2 tsp
>oil 1/2 tsp
>dark soy 1 Tbsp
>light soy 1 Tbsp
>water 1 Tbsp
>
>Mix the sauce:
>ketchup 3/4 Tbsp
>Worcester sauce 3/4 Tbsp
>OK sauce 1 tsp
>sugar 1/2 tsp
>chinese wine 1/2 tsp
>salt - dash
>
>Fry sliced onions, remove, then fry beef until medium. Add sauce and
>onions and cook to your liking.
>
>Note: OK sauce is a UK product, I think steak sauce in North America
>is a good substitute.

How do you prepare the tenderloin prior to frying?

Regards,
- John Frawley
Posted to alt.food.asian

> How do you prepare the tenderloin prior to frying?

Found a video on youtube demoing this dish by a home cook.
Part 1 shows you how to cut, flatten and marinate the beef. Recipe is
slightly different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBUPPMfZFI

Part 2 & 3 can be ignored, basic and boring

Part 4 assembles the dish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2bR...eature=related

Posted to alt.food.asian

> Tippi > wrote:

>> How do you prepare the tenderloin prior to frying?

>Found a video on youtube demoing this dish by a home cook.
>Part 1 shows you how to cut, flatten and marinate the beef. Recipe is
>slightly different
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBUPPMfZFI

Largely as suspected. Thank you for the quick response!

>Part 2 & 3 can be ignored, basic and boring
>
>Part 4 assembles the dish
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2bR...eature=related

Thanks again.

- Frawley