Member

Location: Penang, Malaysia
Default Eggplant with Minced Meat (Spicy Version)

After I posted my last recipe on Eggplant with Minced Pork, I felt a little bit down. I was wondering why the skin of the eggplant turned brownish. It doesn't look appealing at all although it is. Apparently soaking the sliced eggplant in salt water doesn't help in retaining its purple skin color. The salted water just help to remove bitterness of its seed.

After googling for tips, i read that some recommend to deep fry the eggplant and some recommend to soak the sliced eggplant in cold water. So, to be at the safe side, I applied all the method at once! I prepared a tab of cold salt water. Then I sliced the eggplant and directly get it soaked in the water. After 15 minutes, I pat it dry and fry it until the flesh turn soft, but not soggy. These additional steps upon cooking proofs to be effective in retaining the nice purple color of brinjal. If you have any other tips, please share it with me.

Eggplant with Minced Meat (Spicy Version)
Serves 2
Ingredients:

1 long slender purple eggplant
100gm of minced pork (marinate with 1tsp of light soy sauce and dash of pepper)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 stalk of spring onion, cut into 2" length
4 Thai bird's eye chilies, diced
Cooking oil

Seasoning:

1tbsp oyster sauce
1tsp of dark soy sauce
1tsp of light soy sauce
1tsp of sesame oil
200ml water

Garnishing:

Chopped spring onion

Steps:

1. Slice the eggplant lengthwise and soak in cold salt water for about 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry with kitchen towel. Set aside.

2. Heat up 3 tbsp of oil in a wok. Fry the eggplant until its flesh turn soft. Set aside.

3. With the balance oil, saute garlic till fragrant. Add the minced meat to stir fry for a while. Pour in the seasoning and bring to a boil. Stir in the eggplant. Leave it simmering for a while.

4. Add the chili and spring onion to mix well. Dish up, garnish with chopped spring onion and serve with hot rice.
Posted to alt.food.asian

Little Inbox > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Eggplant with Minced Meat (Spicy Version)
> [ . . . ]

That sounds good, LI. I love eggplant and my Thai wife cooks a lot of
spicy. When she gets back from Thailand in a couple of weeks, I'll show
this to her and let you know what she does with it. Thanks.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

i love egg plant... it doesn't love me back but i think it is one the foods
that will be waiting in heaven on my food buffett, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Little Inbox > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Eggplant with Minced Meat (Spicy Version)
>> [ . . . ]

> That sounds good, LI. I love eggplant and my Thai wife cooks a lot of
> spicy. When she gets back from Thailand in a couple of weeks, I'll show
> this to her and let you know what she does with it. Thanks.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Inbox View Post
[...]

Very easy to make. Tastes really good too.
Entertaining Recipes A one-stop-shop to find the best tasting recipes which are easy to prepare.
Posted to alt.food.asian

auto7820 > wrote:
> Little Inbox;1483513 Wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Eggplant with Minced Meat (Spicy Version)

Mmmm. Spicy eggplant! Sounds good. Somewhat similar to Thai Pad Ped Ma Kaeu
Yaw.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061