Posted to alt.food.asian

Default latest congee

I blended it in the blender to get flour from the rice before making it this
time, much nicer soup and much faster. the taste was wonderful as i used
lamb broth, beef broth and vegetable broth... this is jst a wonder, easy
food, and best or almost best is you can spice it differently every time,
and use whatever additives for the "bits" you happen to have on hand,

Lee

Banned

Is it advisable to use corn starch for congee? or will that make it taste different?
Posted to alt.food.asian

raiundazan wrote:
> Is it advisable to use corn starch for congee? or will that make it
> taste different?

If you're trying to thicken it, just add more rice.. You can modify the
consistancy with more or less rice. Or more or less water..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

why would you use cornstarch? Lee
"raiundazan" > wrote in message

> Is it advisable to use corn starch for congee? or will that make it
> taste different?
>

> --
> raiundazan

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> why would you use cornstarch? Lee
> "raiundazan" > wrote

> > Is it advisable to use corn starch for congee? or will that make it
> > taste different?

Thai Cao Tom is essentially the same as congee. Jun makes it for me when
I'm not feeling well. Usually she adds ground pork, green onion, fried
garlic, white pepper, etc. I like to drop a raw egg on a steaming bowl of
it. When we get it at a "Cao Tom restaurant", they provide bowls of various
items to add to your bowl. I like the pickled vegetables.

I've never seen or heard of cornstarch or any other thickener being added.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

it seems counter intuitive, i mean the rice is the thickener, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> why would you use cornstarch? Lee
>> "raiundazan" > wrote

>> > Is it advisable to use corn starch for congee? or will that make it
>> > taste different?

> Thai Cao Tom is essentially the same as congee. Jun makes it for me when
> I'm not feeling well. Usually she adds ground pork, green onion, fried
> garlic, white pepper, etc. I like to drop a raw egg on a steaming bowl of
> it. When we get it at a "Cao Tom restaurant", they provide bowls of
> various
> items to add to your bowl. I like the pickled vegetables.
>
> I've never seen or heard of cornstarch or any other thickener being added.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> it seems counter intuitive, i mean the rice is the thickener, Lee
> [ . . . ]

Correcto! Jun just takes steamed rice, drops it in a pot of water with the
other stuff and simmers/slow-boils it 'til it's "right".

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

I was thinking if one were having a party that congee would be an excellent
buffett food, a big vat of it, and lots of add ins, with maybe some egg
rolls and crab rangune, sp, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> it seems counter intuitive, i mean the rice is the thickener, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> Correcto! Jun just takes steamed rice, drops it in a pot of water with the
> other stuff and simmers/slow-boils it 'til it's "right".
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmee wrote:
> I was thinking if one were having a party that congee would be an excellent
> buffett food, a big vat of it, and lots of add ins, with maybe some egg
> rolls and crab rangune, sp, Lee

Unless people are used to having congee, its one of those things they will
likely pass over. You will need to explain it to those who do not know.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

yes part of the party fun, lots of my friends do theme eating, Lee
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> I was thinking if one were having a party that congee would be an
>> excellent buffett food, a big vat of it, and lots of add ins, with maybe
>> some egg rolls and crab rangune, sp, Lee

> Unless people are used to having congee, its one of those things they will
> likely pass over. You will need to explain it to those who do not know.
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> I was thinking if one were having a party that congee would be an
> excellent buffett food, a big vat of it, and lots of add ins, with maybe
> some egg rolls and crab rangune, sp, Lee
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >> it seems counter intuitive, i mean the rice is the thickener, Lee
> >> [ . . . ]

> > Correcto! Jun just takes steamed rice, drops it in a pot of water with
> > the other stuff and simmers/slow-boils it 'til it's "right".

ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! Not steamed rice, just regular rice-cooker rice. Duh.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>>I was thinking if one were having a party that congee would be an
>>excellent buffett food, a big vat of it, and lots of add ins, with maybe
>>some egg rolls and crab rangune, sp, Lee

>>>Correcto! Jun just takes steamed rice, drops it in a pot of water with
>>>the other stuff and simmers/slow-boils it 'til it's "right".

> ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! Not steamed rice, just regular rice-cooker rice. Duh.

You can use uncooked rice, just takes longer and more water.. You can use cooked
rice to fine tune the consistancy.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

lol, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> I was thinking if one were having a party that congee would be an
>> excellent buffett food, a big vat of it, and lots of add ins, with maybe
>> some egg rolls and crab rangune, sp, Lee
>> > Correcto! Jun just takes steamed rice, drops it in a pot of water with
>> > the other stuff and simmers/slow-boils it 'til it's "right".

> ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! Not steamed rice, just regular rice-cooker rice. Duh.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

mixed congee tert in seattle General Cooking 12 15-09-2012 01:15 AM
Congee (juk) notbob General Cooking 8 24-10-2010 01:32 AM
today's congee, i made it with a new brown organic rice, it says short grain on the package but is more like pearl rice, i put it in my mini blender first, i like the effect much better so far, Lee Stormmee Asian Cooking 3 30-05-2010 09:46 AM
congee revistited Stormmee Asian Cooking 24 24-05-2010 11:43 AM
congee Stormmmee Asian Cooking 17 28-12-2009 06:53 AM