Posted to alt.food.asian

Default congee revistited

so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get the
final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food, Lee

Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmee wrote:
> so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
> because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get the
> final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food, Lee

I sometimes blend the dry rice in advance to help speed up the process.
I don't usualy blend afterwares, but I've never used brown rice.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

DH and i were discussing grinding the rice in the blender and we decided we
would try that next time... the rice was fine except for the outer bits of
the rice, i adapted the recipe to use cooking metohds i am more comfortable
with so it could be that i never had it at high enough a boil, but it was
just wonderful, after we got the rice blended using a can of chicken broth i
nuked some asparagus stir fry vegetables and put them on top to finish it, i
had some very hot sauce tha had come with some tofu i put in mine, very
good, Lee
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
>> because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
>> the final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort
>> food, Lee

> I sometimes blend the dry rice in advance to help speed up the process.
> I don't usualy blend afterwares, but I've never used brown rice.
>
> --
> Dan

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormmee View Post
so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get the
final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food, Lee
Yes,congee is very delicious and i am really into it.Actually ,i am also attracted to the Chinese tea brewingand tea drinking.Both of those are very good for your health.
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormmee View Post
so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get the
final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food, Lee
haha,it's definitely your failure.
well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.
__________________
www.5ktea.com, the number-one Chinese online teashop ,enjoys the reputation for the best teas and services.

Posted to alt.food.asian

i don't recall it being a failure, in fact it was a rousing success, Lee
"hellohello" > wrote in message

> Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
>> so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
>>
>> because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
>> the
>> final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
>> Lee

> haha,it's definitely your failure.
> well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
> way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
> finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.
>

> --
> hellohello

Posted to alt.food.asian

hellohello wrote:
> Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
>
>>so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
>>
>>because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
>>the
>>final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
>>Lee

> haha,it's definitely your failure.
> well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
> way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
> finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my rice
come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice and never
have a problem. For congee its 10:1 water rice ratio. Works great.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

that is what i did, the only reason it went in the blender was to get the
last bits of hull smooth, brown rice is not nearly so smooth as the white,
and btw i agree with the finger method, the whole point of having/using a
rice cooker is to get the rice consistent, Lee
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> hellohello wrote:
>> Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
>>>so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
>>>
>>>because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
>>>the final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort
>>>food,
>>>Lee

>> haha,it's definitely your failure.
>> well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
>> way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
>> finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my
> rice
> come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice and
> never
> have a problem. For congee its 10:1 water rice ratio. Works great.
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

Dan Logcher wrote:

> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my
> rice come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice and never
> have a problem.

Yep. I have always been a strong opponent of the Finger Method. it
doesn't. Rice and water are the only reasons I even own measuring cups (I
rarely bake).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmee wrote:
> that is what i did, the only reason it went in the blender was to get the
> last bits of hull smooth, brown rice is not nearly so smooth as the white,
> and btw i agree with the finger method, the whole point of having/using a
> rice cooker is to get the rice consistent, Lee

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of brown rice because of the hull consistancy.
I use a blender on the dry rice beforehand to make it cook up quicker.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

> it doesn't....

Work.

My news server often deletes words from my posts.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my
>> rice come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice
>> and never
>> have a problem.

> Yep. I have always been a strong opponent of the Finger Method. it
> doesn't. Rice and water are the only reasons I even own measuring cups
> (I rarely bake).

I even keep a tin 1C in the rice storage bowl.. dedicated measuring cup.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

DH and i have been considering this, does it work well enough to go through
the effort? i prefer the taste of white rice but i eat brown rice more
often due to the health issues, Lee
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> that is what i did, the only reason it went in the blender was to get the
>> last bits of hull smooth, brown rice is not nearly so smooth as the
>> white, and btw i agree with the finger method, the whole point of
>> having/using a rice cooker is to get the rice consistent, Lee

> Yeah, I'm not a big fan of brown rice because of the hull consistancy.
> I use a blender on the dry rice beforehand to make it cook up quicker.
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 04:44:34 -0400, hellohello
> wrote:

> Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
> > so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
> >
> > because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
> > the
> > final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
> > Lee

> haha,it's definitely your failure.
> well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
> way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
> finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

That's how to make regular steamed rice. Isn't congee soupier?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to alt.food.asian

LOL i just realised i left out a word in mine also, i meant i agreed with
dan it doesn't work, Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> it doesn't....

> Work.
>
> My news server often deletes words from my posts.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.asian

we weigh ours with a kitchen scale, Lee
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>>> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my
>>> rice come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice
>>> and never
>>> have a problem.

>> Yep. I have always been a strong opponent of the Finger Method. it
>> doesn't. Rice and water are the only reasons I even own measuring cups
>> (I rarely bake).

> I even keep a tin 1C in the rice storage bowl.. dedicated measuring cup.
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:35:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Dan Logcher wrote:
> >
> >> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my
> >> rice come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice
> >> and never
> >> have a problem.

> > Yep. I have always been a strong opponent of the Finger Method. it
> > doesn't. Rice and water are the only reasons I even own measuring cups
> > (I rarely bake).

> I even keep a tin 1C in the rice storage bowl.. dedicated measuring cup.

If you have to measure rice and water, you don't need a traditional
baking cup... you can use coffee mugs or tea cups and you'll have the
same proportions.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to alt.food.asian

if done right can be the consistency of a nice cream of potato soup all the
way up to almost porrige thickness, have had it several different ways, Lee
"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 04:44:34 -0400, hellohello
> > wrote:
>

>> Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
>> > so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
>> >
>> > because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to
>> > get
>> > the
>> > final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
>> > Lee

>> haha,it's definitely your failure.
>> well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
>> way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
>> finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

> That's how to make regular steamed rice. Isn't congee soupier?
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to alt.food.asian

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 04:44:34 -0400, hellohello
> > wrote:
>

>>Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
>>
>>>so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
>>>
>>>because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
>>>the
>>>final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
>>>Lee

>>haha,it's definitely your failure.
>>well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
>>way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
>>finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

> That's how to make regular steamed rice. Isn't congee soupier?

Yeah, finger method is for regular rice. Congee is much more water
than rice.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:35:17 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Sqwertz wrote:

>>>Yep. I have always been a strong opponent of the Finger Method. it
>>>doesn't. Rice and water are the only reasons I even own measuring cups
>>>(I rarely bake).

>>I even keep a tin 1C in the rice storage bowl.. dedicated measuring cup.

> If you have to measure rice and water, you don't need a traditional
> baking cup... you can use coffee mugs or tea cups and you'll have the
> same proportions.

I have a Pyrex baking cup for liquids and whatnot, and a little tin
1C that I stick in the rice storage container. I do 2:1 water rice
for making it regular, 10:1 for congee. I have 1C, 2C, and 4C Pyrex.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:25:01 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> hellohello wrote:
> > Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
> >
> >>so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
> >>
> >>because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
> >>the
> >>final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
> >>Lee

> > haha,it's definitely your failure.
> > well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
> > way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
> > finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my rice
> come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice and never
> have a problem. For congee its 10:1 water rice ratio. Works great.

That reminds me of my sister-in-law, who is Chinese. On day (years
ago, not very long after she first came to the USA) her husband asked
her to pour "two fingers" of scotch for him. She put two fingers in a
glass *vertically*, and measured that way.

He got a *lot* of scotch! <g>

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.asian

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:25:01 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>hellohello wrote:

>>>haha,it's definitely your failure.
>>>well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
>>>way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
>>>finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

>>The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my rice
>>come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice and never
>>have a problem. For congee its 10:1 water rice ratio. Works great.

> That reminds me of my sister-in-law, who is Chinese. On day (years
> ago, not very long after she first came to the USA) her husband asked
> her to pour "two fingers" of scotch for him. She put two fingers in a
> glass *vertically*, and measured that way.
>
> He got a *lot* of scotch! <g>

Ha ha! That's pretty funny.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 11:29:07 -0700, sf wrote:

> If you have to measure rice and water, you don't need a traditional
> baking cup... you can use coffee mugs or tea cups and you'll have the
> same proportions.

That doesn't work either. You will use less water for more rice.
Every bulk rice cooker knows this.

And many jasmine and basmati rices call for less water than 2:1
ratios at the 1 cup mark. And then there's the gae of the rice...

-Per Loin (AKA -sw)
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:25:01 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> hellohello wrote:
> > Stormmee;1450815 Wrote:
> >
> >>so the other day i finally got around to making this, i used brown rice
> >>
> >>because that is all i had, and ended up putting it in the blender to get
> >>the
> >>final bits smooth but i can heartily recooment this for a comfort food,
> >>Lee

> > haha,it's definitely your failure.
> > well ,you can use automatic electric rice cooker to make congee.in this
> > way it is very easy to do so . you just need to add some water about a
> > finger above your rice.then you can get delicious congee.

> The finger method always baffles me.. I have short fingers, so would my rice
> come out the same as someone with long fingers? I measure my rice and never
> have a problem. For congee its 10:1 water rice ratio. Works great.

People with long fingers make slightly more rice than people with
short fingers. It's not *that* hard to figure out.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Banned

can somebody pls post the step by step instructions on making congee?

mixed congee tert in seattle General Cooking 12 15-09-2012 01:15 AM
Congee (juk) notbob General Cooking 8 24-10-2010 01:32 AM
latest congee Stormmee Asian Cooking 12 01-06-2010 08:21 AM
today's congee, i made it with a new brown organic rice, it says short grain on the package but is more like pearl rice, i put it in my mini blender first, i like the effect much better so far, Lee Stormmee Asian Cooking 3 30-05-2010 09:46 AM
congee Stormmmee Asian Cooking 17 28-12-2009 05:53 AM