Posted to alt.food.asian

Default another oddity to me

at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very nice with
several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was about the size of a
standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that resembled corn husks and
looked like a blooming flower. it was for lack of any other desrition a
rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside and rice where the corn mush would be
on the tamale, very nice but i never could understand what the server called
it, i did get the rice part was soft sticky rice.

and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was excellent,
does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread part is very nice
and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an authentic one, it was
browned on top but soft like it had been also steamed, no bread recipe i
have ever read both steams and oven cooks the bread.

Lee

--
Have a great day

Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmmee wrote:
> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very nice with
> several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was about the size of a
> standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that resembled corn husks and
> looked like a blooming flower. it was for lack of any other desrition a
> rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside and rice where the corn mush would be
> on the tamale, very nice but i never could understand what the server called
> it, i did get the rice part was soft sticky rice.
>
> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was excellent,
> does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread part is very nice
> and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an authentic one, it was
> browned on top but soft like it had been also steamed, no bread recipe i
> have ever read both steams and oven cooks the bread.

This is steamed rice wrapped in lotus leaf. My wife's family makes this
from time to time, they call it dong (long O sound). Here's a recipe I found
online: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dims...sleafwraps.htm

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

thanks, never thought of lotus leaves, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Stormmmee wrote:
>> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very nice
>> with several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was about the
>> size of a standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that resembled corn
>> husks and looked like a blooming flower. it was for lack of any other
>> desrition a rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside and rice where the corn
>> mush would be on the tamale, very nice but i never could understand what
>> the server called it, i did get the rice part was soft sticky rice.
>>
>> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was excellent,
>> does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread part is very
>> nice and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an authentic one, it
>> was browned on top but soft like it had been also steamed, no bread
>> recipe i have ever read both steams and oven cooks the bread.

> This is steamed rice wrapped in lotus leaf. My wife's family makes this
> from time to time, they call it dong (long O sound). Here's a recipe I
> found
> online:
> http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dims...sleafwraps.htm
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmmee wrote:
> thanks, never thought of lotus leaves, Lee

That's what they use around Boston. We had this on Sunday at
our local Dim Sum place. They put in a chunk of lop cheong,
egg, chicken, peanuts, and mushrooms.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very nice with
> several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was about the size of a
> standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that resembled corn husks and
> looked like a blooming flower. it was for lack of any other desrition a
> rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside and rice where the corn mush would be
> on the tamale, very nice but i never could understand what the server called
> it, i did get the rice part was soft sticky rice.
>
> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was excellent,
> does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread part is very nice
> and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an authentic one, it was
> browned on top but soft like it had been also steamed, no bread recipe i
> have ever read both steams and oven cooks the bread.
>
> Lee

Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what it
is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a link to
it's definition. Thanks.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.asian

Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
> > [ . . . ] it was for lack of any other desrition a rice tamale.

[ . . . ]

> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what
> it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a
> link to it's definition. Thanks.

Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and disappointing.

Happy New Year.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

the one i had was chciken, egg mushroom and green onion, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Stormmmee wrote:
>> thanks, never thought of lotus leaves, Lee

> That's what they use around Boston. We had this on Sunday at
> our local Dim Sum place. They put in a chunk of lop cheong,
> egg, chicken, peanuts, and mushrooms.
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.asian

i love you, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:05:00 -0500, Wilson wrote:
>
>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
>> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what
>> it
>> is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a link
>> it's definition. Thanks.

> Are you trolling, flaming, or just plain stupid?
>
> Me? I'll take door #1 and #2.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.asian

if you can't figure it out themn block me so your brain doesn't have to work
so hard, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
>> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very nice
>> with several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was about the
>> size of a standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that resembled corn
>> husks and looked like a blooming flower. it was for lack of any other
>> desrition a rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside and rice where the corn
>> mush would be on the tamale, very nice but i never could understand what
>> the server called it, i did get the rice part was soft sticky rice.
>>
>> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was excellent,
>> does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread part is very
>> nice and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an authentic one, it
>> was browned on top but soft like it had been also steamed, no bread
>> recipe i have ever read both steams and oven cooks the bread.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what
> it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a link
> to it's definition. Thanks.
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.asian

i just hate when i over tax someone's brain, almost a guilt trip, that is if
it didn't make me giggle so much, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Wilson > wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
>> > [ . . . ] it was for lack of any other desrition a rice tamale.

> [ . . . ]
>> >

>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
>> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what
>> it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a
>> link to it's definition. Thanks.

> Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and disappointing.
>
> Happy New Year.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past Sqwertz posted this:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:05:00 -0500, Wilson wrote:
>
>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
>> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what it
>> is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a link to
>> it's definition. Thanks.

> Are you trolling, flaming, or just plain stupid?
>
> Me? I'll take door #1 and #2.
>
> -sw

IF you have nothing to offer, just move along. IF you don't know the answer,
just look smug and nobody will know whether you're 1, 2 or 3. You sound like
#2 to me.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
> Wilson > wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
>>> [ . . . ] it was for lack of any other desrition a rice tamale.

> [ . . . ]
>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of it's
>> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what
>> it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a
>> link to it's definition. Thanks.

> Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and disappointing.
>
> Happy New Year.

I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.

Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.

So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him. Here's an
extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past Nunya Bidnits posted this:
> Wilson said:
>> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and
>>> disappointing.
>>>
>>> Happy New Year.
>>>

>> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
>> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
>>
>> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
>>
>> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him.
>> Here's an extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

> Since you're the newly self appointed spelling hall monitor and
> disciplinarian, you should learn to differentiate between a hyphen and a
> quotation mark. Your error is really quite unbecoming of someone who touts
> himself as an authority on written English.
>
> Just sayin'...
>
> MartyB in KC

Glad you all had a good holiday and are the pinnacles of civility. I had no
intention of assuming it was typo Stormmmee intended to make and so without
thinking further, thought there was a chance this was a term I was
unfamiliar with, giving the benefit of the doubt.

As for your comment, Nunya, I know the difference between ' & ", but that
takes an extra 2 keystrokes. But if I skip letters creating confusion,
that's okay?

Stormmmee, a civil "my bad" (there, happy Nunya) would have sufficed, but I
can see we're going to fight today.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past Nunya Bidnits posted this:

> <plonk>

Yup, and I believe it was the apostrophe and not the hyphen that you meant
to school me on.

Cheers!

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:07:39 -0600, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Wilson said:
>> sometime in the recent past Sqwertz posted this:

>>> Are you trolling, flaming, or just plain stupid?
>>>
>>> Me? I'll take door #1 and #2.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> IF you have nothing to offer, just move along. IF you don't know the
>> answer, just look smug and nobody will know whether you're 1, 2 or 3.
>> You sound like #2 to me.

> You sound like a useless dimbulb to me, who will never post anything of
> value. Therefore, I'll sanitize some future bandwidth in anticipation of
> your worthless drivel.
>
> <plonk>

your loss. sqwertz can be caustic, but he knows his onions.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian

Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
> > Wilson > wrote:
> >> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:

> > [ . . . ]
> >> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
> >> it's use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy
> >> know what it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too
> >> much, maybe a link to it's definition. Thanks.

> > Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and disappointing.
> >
> > Happy New Year.
> >

> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
>
> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
>
> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him. Here's an
> extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

Is this NewsGroup about Asian food or about typos, spelling and grammar?
Surely, you understood what Stormmee meant!

Based on your prior on-topic posts, I thought the above was out of
character.

Perhaps if you knew more about Stormmee, you would not be so quick to
judge.

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

Wilson > wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Nunya Bidnits posted this:
> > Wilson said:
> >> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:

> >> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
> >> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
> >>
> >> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
> >>
> >> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him.
> >> Here's an extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

> > Since you're the newly self appointed spelling hall monitor and
> > disciplinarian, you should learn to differentiate between a hyphen and
> > a quotation mark. Your error is really quite unbecoming of someone who
> > touts himself as an authority on written English.
> >
> > Just sayin'...
> >
> > MartyB in KC
> >

> Glad you all had a good holiday and are the pinnacles of civility. I had
> no intention of assuming it was typo Stormmmee intended to make and so
> without thinking further, thought there was a chance this was a term I
> was unfamiliar with, giving the benefit of the doubt.
>
> As for your comment, Nunya, I know the difference between ' & ", but that
> takes an extra 2 keystrokes. But if I skip letters creating confusion,
> that's okay?
>
> Stormmmee, a civil "my bad" (there, happy Nunya) would have sufficed, but
> I can see we're going to fight today.

Wouldn't that be "_a_ typo Stormmmee intended to make?" And, are typos
"intentional"?

BTW There's no "'" in the possessive "its".

I often make typos and letter-pair reversals. I try to catch them before
some online ashsole does.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
> Wilson > wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Nunya Bidnits posted this:

>>> Since you're the newly self appointed spelling hall monitor and
>>> disciplinarian, you should learn to differentiate between a hyphen and
>>> a quotation mark. Your error is really quite unbecoming of someone who
>>> touts himself as an authority on written English.
>>>
>>> Just sayin'...
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC
>>>

>> Glad you all had a good holiday and are the pinnacles of civility. I had
>> no intention of assuming it was typo Stormmmee intended to make and so
>> without thinking further, thought there was a chance this was a term I
>> was unfamiliar with, giving the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>> As for your comment, Nunya, I know the difference between ' & ", but that
>> takes an extra 2 keystrokes. But if I skip letters creating confusion,
>> that's okay?
>>
>> Stormmmee, a civil "my bad" (there, happy Nunya) would have sufficed, but
>> I can see we're going to fight today.

> Wouldn't that be "_a_ typo Stormmmee intended to make?" And, are typos
> "intentional"?
>
> BTW There's no "'" in the possessive "its".
>
> I often make typos and letter-pair reversals. I try to catch them before
> some online ashsole does.

Don't you just hate when that happens? Now, just for fun, google 'desrition'
and see how many times it comes up. Unless these were all made by Stormmmee,
you might think that perhaps it's a colloquial term or maybe something from
some particular discipline. I certainly did and that's why I posted the
question. Not to be an 'ashsole' or a grammar nazi (small 'n' intentional as
are the single quotes.)

Now on to making the Nog and peeling the fresh shrimp.

A Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year to all!

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3 reminded of how calm waters can always hide a few
suckers - nothing like good intentions to screw up a day.
Posted to alt.food.asian

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
>> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very
>> nice with several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was
>> about the size of a standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that
>> resembled corn husks and looked like a blooming flower. it was for
>> lack of any other desrition a rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside and
>> rice where the corn mush would be on the tamale, very nice but i never
>> could understand what the server called it, i did get the rice part
>> was soft sticky rice.
>>
>> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was
>> excellent, does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread
>> part is very nice and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an
>> authentic one, it was browned on top but soft like it had been also
>> steamed, no bread recipe i have ever read both steams and oven cooks
>> the bread.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
> it's use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know
> what it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe
> a link to it's definition. Thanks.

Why do you have to be ****y? Many people make spelling mistakes, and it
is truly no big deal in the scheme of things. Its not as if he's cooking
the books and invading a country based on a lie or something. Save your
ire for the big things in life!

Cheers,

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

sometime in the recent past posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
>>> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very
>>> nice with several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was
>>> about the size of a standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that
>>> resembled corn husks and looked like a blooming flower. it was for
>>> lack of any other desrition a rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside
>>> and rice where the corn mush would be on the tamale, very nice but i
>>> never could understand what the server called it, i did get the rice
>>> part was soft sticky rice.
>>>
>>> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was
>>> excellent, does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread
>>> part is very nice and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an
>>> authentic one, it was browned on top but soft like it had been also
>>> steamed, no bread recipe i have ever read both steams and oven cooks
>>> the bread.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
>> it's use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy
>> know what it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too
>> much, maybe a link to it's definition. Thanks.
>>

> Why do you have to be ****y? Many people make spelling mistakes, and it
> is truly no big deal in the scheme of things. Its not as if he's cooking
> the books and invading a country based on a lie or something. Save your
> ire for the big things in life!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

You know Ian, when I first wrote that, it didn't sound ****y to me, but as
you point it out, I guess I was. But I was sincere in my questioning and I
could have given a sweet sh*t over what spelling/grammar was involved, have
I made myself clear? Stupid question put before the inquisition, it was. But
just for future reference, the god damn word is DESCRIPTION. Are we all
happy now? I feel better, but then I've been trying hard to celebrate the
evening. I may not, however, have learned my lesson. ;-) Cheers!

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.asian

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past posted this:
>> Wilson wrote:
>>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:

>>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
>>> it's use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy
>>> know what it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too
>>> much, maybe a link to it's definition. Thanks.
>>>

>> Why do you have to be ****y? Many people make spelling mistakes, and
>> it is truly no big deal in the scheme of things. Its not as if he's
>> cooking the books and invading a country based on a lie or something.
>> Save your ire for the big things in life!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ian
>>

> You know Ian, when I first wrote that, it didn't sound ****y to me, but
> as you point it out, I guess I was. But I was sincere in my questioning
> and I could have given a sweet sh*t over what spelling/grammar was
> involved, have I made myself clear? Stupid question put before the
> inquisition, it was. But just for future reference, the god damn word is
> DESCRIPTION. Are we all happy now? I feel better, but then I've been
> trying hard to celebrate the evening. I may not, however, have learned
> my lesson. ;-) Cheers!

Sorry, we all write and click 'send' a little too quickly at times. Its
usually very civil, if a little quiet, on this ng, so lets hope we can
all get back to that.

Happy New Year!

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

see the sgig, but you don't read closely enough to hae an opinion, stormmee
is the cat, i am female and you are an ass

--
don't like the way i post? then either block me or send a check for my net
connection... if you choose to send the check i will consider your opinion
"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
>> Wilson > wrote:
>>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:

>> [ . . . ]
>>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
>>> it's
>>> use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know what
>>> it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe a
>>> link to it's definition. Thanks.

>> Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and disappointing.
>>
>> Happy New Year.
>>

> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
>
> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
>
> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him. Here's an
> extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.asian

lol

--
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Wilson said:
>> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>>
>>> Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and
>>> disappointing.
>>>
>>> Happy New Year.
>>>

>> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
>> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
>>
>> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
>>
>> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him.
>> Here's an extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

> Since you're the newly self appointed spelling hall monitor and
> disciplinarian, you should learn to differentiate between a hyphen and a
> quotation mark. Your error is really quite unbecoming of someone who touts
> himself as an authority on written English.
>
> Just sayin'...
>
> MartyB in KC

Posted to alt.food.asian

i am not going to fight with anyone, if you don't get back to the food at
hand i will simply move on and avoid your posts, Lee

--
"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past Nunya Bidnits posted this:
>> Wilson said:
>>> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:

>>> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
>>> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
>>>
>>> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
>>>
>>> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him.
>>> Here's an extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

>> Since you're the newly self appointed spelling hall monitor and
>> disciplinarian, you should learn to differentiate between a hyphen and a
>> quotation mark. Your error is really quite unbecoming of someone who
>> touts
>> himself as an authority on written English.
>>
>> Just sayin'...
>>
>> MartyB in KC
>>

> Glad you all had a good holiday and are the pinnacles of civility. I had
> no intention of assuming it was typo Stormmmee intended to make and so
> without thinking further, thought there was a chance this was a term I was
> unfamiliar with, giving the benefit of the doubt.
>
> As for your comment, Nunya, I know the difference between ' & ", but that
> takes an extra 2 keystrokes. But if I skip letters creating confusion,
> that's okay?
>
> Stormmmee, a civil "my bad" (there, happy Nunya) would have sufficed, but
> I can see we're going to fight today.
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.asian

i can skip the shrimp but would be interested in the nog recipe, Lee

--
"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
>> Wilson > wrote:
>>> sometime in the recent past Nunya Bidnits posted this:

>>> Glad you all had a good holiday and are the pinnacles of civility. I had
>>> no intention of assuming it was typo Stormmmee intended to make and so
>>> without thinking further, thought there was a chance this was a term I
>>> was unfamiliar with, giving the benefit of the doubt.
>>>
>>> As for your comment, Nunya, I know the difference between ' & ", but
>>> that
>>> takes an extra 2 keystrokes. But if I skip letters creating confusion,
>>> that's okay?
>>>
>>> Stormmmee, a civil "my bad" (there, happy Nunya) would have sufficed,
>>> but
>>> I can see we're going to fight today.

>> Wouldn't that be "_a_ typo Stormmmee intended to make?" And, are typos
>> "intentional"?
>>
>> BTW There's no "'" in the possessive "its".
>>
>> I often make typos and letter-pair reversals. I try to catch them before
>> some online ashsole does.
>>

> Don't you just hate when that happens? Now, just for fun, google
> 'desrition' and see how many times it comes up. Unless these were all made
> by Stormmmee, you might think that perhaps it's a colloquial term or maybe
> something from some particular discipline. I certainly did and that's why
> I posted the question. Not to be an 'ashsole' or a grammar nazi (small 'n'
> intentional as are the single quotes.)
>
> Now on to making the Nog and peeling the fresh shrimp.
>
> A Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year to all!
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3 reminded of how calm waters can always hide a few
> suckers - nothing like good intentions to screw up a day.

Posted to alt.food.asian

but lets get back to these stuffed pork buns, i really want the bread part,
i think i have the filling worked out, Lee

--
don't like the way i post? then either block me or send a check for my net
connection... if you choose to send the check i will consider your opinion
on how i post.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Wilson > wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Nick Cramer posted this:
>> > [ . . . ]
>> >
>> > Is this the best you can do, Wilson? Very unhelpful and disappointing.
>> >
>> > Happy New Year.
>> >

>> I usually respect your replies, Nick. You too are 'very unhelpful and
>> disappointing.' Must be the company you keep.
>>
>> Looks like the New Year will be very much the same as the old year.
>>
>> So Stormmmeee can't spell and the rest of you stick up for him. Here's an
>> extra c & p. Tell your buddy to use them next time.

> Is this NewsGroup about Asian food or about typos, spelling and grammar?
> Surely, you understood what Stormmee meant!
>
> Based on your prior on-topic posts, I thought the above was out of
> character.
>
> Perhaps if you knew more about Stormmee, you would not be so quick to
> judge.
>
> Happy New Year to all!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

lol, Lee

--
don't like the way i post? then either block me or send a check for my net
connection... if you choose to send the check i will consider your opinion
on how i post.
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Wilson said:
>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:
>>> at the same noodle bar with the congee was a dim sum platter, very
>>> nice with several offerings, one of which was a rice item that was
>>> about the size of a standard pear. it was wrapped in a paper that
>>> resembled corn husks and looked like a blooming flower. it was for
>>> lack of any other desrition a rice tamale. meat/vegetables inside
>>> and rice where the corn mush would be on the tamale, very nice but i
>>> never could understand what the server called it, i did get the rice
>>> part was soft sticky rice.
>>>
>>> and while we are on that platter there was a pork bun that was
>>> excellent, does anyone have the recipe for these, i think the bread
>>> part is very nice and could hold a variety of fillings but i want an
>>> authentic one, it was browned on top but soft like it had been also
>>> steamed, no bread recipe i have ever read both steams and oven cooks
>>> the bread.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
>> it's use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy
>> know what it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too
>> much, maybe a link to it's definition. Thanks.

> Get out your 1939 Collegiate and look up "typo.'
>
> Oh, never mind, your Collegiate is too old to have included that word.
>
> ;-)

Posted to alt.food.asian

i never felt bad in the first place, Lee

--
"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past posted this:
>> Wilson wrote:
>>> sometime in the recent past Stormmmee posted this:

>>> Although I can google 'desrition' and come up with many instances of
>>> it's use, none of my online dictionaries nor my collegiate hardcopy know
>>> what it is. I'd like to know it's roots, and if it's not too much, maybe
>>> a link to it's definition. Thanks.
>>>

>> Why do you have to be ****y? Many people make spelling mistakes, and it
>> is truly no big deal in the scheme of things. Its not as if he's cooking
>> the books and invading a country based on a lie or something. Save your
>> ire for the big things in life!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ian
>>

> You know Ian, when I first wrote that, it didn't sound ****y to me, but as
> you point it out, I guess I was. But I was sincere in my questioning and I
> could have given a sweet sh*t over what spelling/grammar was involved,
> have I made myself clear? Stupid question put before the inquisition, it
> was. But just for future reference, the god damn word is DESCRIPTION. Are
> we all happy now? I feel better, but then I've been trying hard to
> celebrate the evening. I may not, however, have learned my lesson. ;-)
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.asian

yes lets, i am jonesing for that stuffed pork bun and will have to pay for
it again sunday if I don't get a recipe to make tomorrow, Lee

--
" > wrote in message
> Wilson wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past posted this:

>>> Why do you have to be ****y? Many people make spelling mistakes, and it
>>> is truly no big deal in the scheme of things. Its not as if he's cooking
>>> the books and invading a country based on a lie or something. Save your
>>> ire for the big things in life!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>

>> You know Ian, when I first wrote that, it didn't sound ****y to me, but
>> as you point it out, I guess I was. But I was sincere in my questioning
>> and I could have given a sweet sh*t over what spelling/grammar was
>> involved, have I made myself clear? Stupid question put before the
>> inquisition, it was. But just for future reference, the god damn word is
>> DESCRIPTION. Are we all happy now? I feel better, but then I've been
>> trying hard to celebrate the evening. I may not, however, have learned my
>> lesson. ;-) Cheers!
>>

> Sorry, we all write and click 'send' a little too quickly at times. Its
> usually very civil, if a little quiet, on this ng, so lets hope we can all
> get back to that.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> i can skip the shrimp but would be interested in the nog recipe, Lee
> [ . . . ]

While you're waiting, Lee, you might try this:

Nick's Favorite Eggnog Recipe

4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup white rum
1-1/2 cups half-and-half
1-1/2 cups dark rum
1 cup heavy cream
couple pinches nutmeg

In the bowl containing the egg yolks, beat the yolks using a mixer, if you
have one. Slowly add in half of the half-cup of Splenda, while still
mixing. When really well mixed, set the yolk & Splenda bowl aside and begin
work on the egg whites. The egg whites need to be beaten stiff with the
other half of the Splenda. Combine the egg whites and the yolks and
continue mixing on low speed. Stir in the light rum, then the
half-and-half, then the dark rum, then half of the heavy cream. In a
separate bowl, whip the other half of the heavy cream. When whipped, gently
fold the cream into the eggnog mixture. Ladle room temperature eggnog into
cups and sprinkle with a small amount of nutmeg. Serve with a smile and a
silly Santa hat and your guests will love you forever!!

Serves: 8 or less.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

oh sorry, i thought this one of those recipes for one... Lee

--
don't like the way i post? then either block me or send a check for my net
connection... if you choose to send the check i will consider your opinion
on how i post.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> i can skip the shrimp but would be interested in the nog recipe, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> While you're waiting, Lee, you might try this:
>
> Nick's Favorite Eggnog Recipe
>
> 4 eggs, separated
> 1/2 cup Splenda
> 1/2 cup white rum
> 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
> 1-1/2 cups dark rum
> 1 cup heavy cream
> couple pinches nutmeg
>
> In the bowl containing the egg yolks, beat the yolks using a mixer, if you
> have one. Slowly add in half of the half-cup of Splenda, while still
> mixing. When really well mixed, set the yolk & Splenda bowl aside and
> begin
> work on the egg whites. The egg whites need to be beaten stiff with the
> other half of the Splenda. Combine the egg whites and the yolks and
> continue mixing on low speed. Stir in the light rum, then the
> half-and-half, then the dark rum, then half of the heavy cream. In a
> separate bowl, whip the other half of the heavy cream. When whipped,
> gently
> fold the cream into the eggnog mixture. Ladle room temperature eggnog into
> cups and sprinkle with a small amount of nutmeg. Serve with a smile and a
> silly Santa hat and your guests will love you forever!!
>
> Serves: 8 or less.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> oh sorry, i thought this one of those recipes for one... Lee
>[]
> > Nick's Favorite Eggnog Recipe
> > []
> > Serves: 8 or less.

One is less than 8. Should be a pretty giddy afternoon! LOL

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

i think i migt do tis after we get back from dishwasher shopping, if tat
goes well i migt make this to celibrate if get one, Lee

--
don't like the way i post? then either block me or send a check for my net
connection... if you choose to send the check i will consider your opinion
on how i post.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> oh sorry, i thought this one of those recipes for one... Lee
>>[]
>> > Nick's Favorite Eggnog Recipe
>> > []
>> > Serves: 8 or less.

> One is less than 8. Should be a pretty giddy afternoon! LOL
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> i think i migt do tis after we get back from dishwasher shopping, if tat
> goes well i migt make this to celibrate if get one, Lee

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Stormmmee" > wrote:
> >> oh sorry, i thought this one of those recipes for one... Lee
> >>[]

> > One is less than 8. Should be a pretty giddy afternoon! LOL

Hope ya found a dishwasher ya like, Lee.

Try this:

Nick's Favorite Eggnog Recipe - small

1 egg, separated
2 Tbs Splenda
2 Tbs white rum
6 Tbs half-and-half
6 Tbs dark rum
4 Tbs heavy cream
couple pinches nutmeg

In a bowl containing the egg yolk, beat the yolk using a mixer, if you
have one. Slowly add in 1 Tbs of Splenda, while still mixing.
When really well mixed, set the yolk & Splenda bowl aside and begin work on
the egg white. The egg white needs to be beaten stiff with the other half
of the Splenda. Combine the egg white and the yolk and continue mixing on
low speed. Stir in the light rum, then the half-and-half, then the dark
rum, then half of the heavy cream. In a separate bowl, whip the other half
of the heavy cream. When whipped, gently fold the cream into the eggnog
mixture. Ladle room temperature eggnog into cups and sprinkle with a small
amount of nutmeg. Serve with a smile and a silly Santa hat and your guest
will love you forever!!

Serves: 2 or less.

Naah! Make the big one!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

no dw not what i wanted. this one will help with portion control...
darnit, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> i think i migt do tis after we get back from dishwasher shopping, if tat
>> goes well i migt make this to celibrate if get one, Lee

>> > One is less than 8. Should be a pretty giddy afternoon! LOL

> Hope ya found a dishwasher ya like, Lee.
>
> Try this:
>
> Nick's Favorite Eggnog Recipe - small
>
> 1 egg, separated
> 2 Tbs Splenda
> 2 Tbs white rum
> 6 Tbs half-and-half
> 6 Tbs dark rum
> 4 Tbs heavy cream
> couple pinches nutmeg
>
> In a bowl containing the egg yolk, beat the yolk using a mixer, if you
> have one. Slowly add in 1 Tbs of Splenda, while still mixing.
> When really well mixed, set the yolk & Splenda bowl aside and begin work
> on
> the egg white. The egg white needs to be beaten stiff with the other half
> of the Splenda. Combine the egg white and the yolk and continue mixing on
> low speed. Stir in the light rum, then the half-and-half, then the dark
> rum, then half of the heavy cream. In a separate bowl, whip the other half
> of the heavy cream. When whipped, gently fold the cream into the eggnog
> mixture. Ladle room temperature eggnog into cups and sprinkle with a small
> amount of nutmeg. Serve with a smile and a silly Santa hat and your guest
> will love you forever!!
>
> Serves: 2 or less.
>
> Naah! Make the big one!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

Stormmmee wrote:
> yes lets, i am jonesing for that stuffed pork bun and will have to pay for
> it again sunday if I don't get a recipe to make tomorrow, Lee

Hi -

Would this recipe from the LA Times work for you?
Pan-fried pork and scallion mini buns (Sheng jian bao zi)
http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,3676971.story

Cheers,

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

thanks, i like what i could read of the recipe but the creen reader doesn't
like the style of the site, couldn't ever find the bread part or the second
half of the filling, b ut thanks for the effort, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

" > wrote in message
> Stormmmee wrote:
>> yes lets, i am jonesing for that stuffed pork bun and will have to pay
>> for it again sunday if I don't get a recipe to make tomorrow, Lee
>>

> Hi -
>
> Would this recipe from the LA Times work for you?
> Pan-fried pork and scallion mini buns (Sheng jian bao zi)
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,3676971.story
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> thanks, i like what i could read of the recipe but the creen reader
> doesn't like the style of the site, couldn't ever find the bread part or
> the second half of the filling, b ut thanks for the effort, Lee

[]
> > Would this recipe from the LA Times work for you?
> > Pan-fried pork and scallion mini buns (Sheng jian bao zi)
> > http://www.latimes.com/features/food...7e-2009oct07,0,
> > 3676971.story

Hi, Lee. I have trouble figuring out a lot of recipe sites, too. I looked
at the one Ian posted and I couldn't find the bread part, either. You
subscribe to alt.bread.recipes, so just make a basic yeast dough. It's not
brain surgery!

Here's their recipe, in a screen-reader-friendly form. I've added a few
easily identifiable notes, since I'm a very opinionated guy. ;-)

Recipe: Pan-fried pork and scallion mini buns (Sheng jian bao zi)

Total Time: 45 minutes plus rising time

Servings: Makes 32 mini buns

Note: You can find ground pork with a higher fat content at many Asian
markets, or ask your butcher to grind fat into regular ground pork (you
want about 20% fat). Or substitute regular ground pork. Ground beef chuck
or chicken thigh may be substituted for the pork in this recipe.
Regardless, fatty, rich ground meat makes for better, succulent buns.
Shaoxing rice wine and Chinkiang vinegar are available at Chinese and
most Asian markets. Recipe by Andrea Nguyen.

10 ounces fatty ground pork, coarsely chopped to loosen

2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger

1/4 cup finely chopped Chinese chives or scallions (white and green parts)

1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt [NOT Iodized! - Nick]

1/8 teaspoon white pepper [NOTE: White, not black - Nick]

1/2 teaspoon sugar [or Splenda - Nick]

1 tablespoon light (regular) soy sauce, plus additional (optional) for
dipping

2 teaspoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry [dry Marsala - Nick]

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1 tablespoon water

1 1/4 pounds basic yeast dough (recipe above [Where? Make what you know! -
Nick]), preferably made with unbleached flour

1 tablespoon finely julienned fresh ginger

1/4 cup Chinkiang vinegar or balsamic vinegar [Balsamico should avoid the
tartness referred to below - -Nick]

Chile oil, optional

Canola oil

1. To make the filling, combine the pork, minced ginger and Chinese chives
in a medium bowl. Use a fork or spatula to stir and lightly mash the
ingredients together.

2. In a small bowl, combine the salt, white pepper, sugar, soy sauce, rice
wine, sesame oil and water and stir to combine well. Pour over the meat
mixture, then vigorously stir to fully incorporate. Cover the filling with
plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight,
returning it to room temperature before assembling the buns.

3. Transfer the dough to a very lightly floured work surface, gather it
into a ball if needed, and then pat it to flatten it into a thick disk. Cut
the disk in half and cover half with plastic wrap or an inverted bowl to
prevent drying while you work on the other half. (If your kitchen is very
warm or the dough rises quickly, refrigerate the remaining half while you
work on the first half.)

4. Roll the dough half into a 12- to 14-inch log, then cut it crosswise
into 16 pieces. (Halve the log first to make it easier to cut into
even-size pieces. The tapered end pieces should be cut a little longer than
the rest.) Lightly roll each piece between your hands into a ball and then
use the palm of one hand to flatten it into a one-fourth-inch-thick disk,
moistening your hands with a little water if the dough becomes too dry.

5. Use an Asian dowel-style rolling pin to roll the pieces into circles
about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, rolling the outer one-half-inch edge of the
circle very thin, like a tortilla (the center of the circle -- about 1 inch
-- will remain thicker). Rotate the circle as you roll the outer edge with
the pin to form a perfect circle. Alternatively, you can press out the
circles by hand, using your fingers to flatten the center and edges, though
the circles may not be as perfect. The finished circle will be thick, and
it will rise as it sits. Lay the finished circles out on your work surface,
lightly dusting their bottoms with flour if you fear they will stick.

6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly dust with flour. To
assemble the buns, hold a dough circle in a slightly cupped hand. Use a
bamboo spatula, dinner knife or spoon to center about 2 teaspoons of
filling on the dough circle, pressing down very gently and keeping about
one-half to three-fourths inch of the dough clear on all sides; your hand
will automatically close slightly. Use the thumb of the hand cradling the
bun to push down the filling while the fingers of the other hand pulls up
the dough edge and pleats and pinches the rim together to form a closed
satchel. Completely enclose the filling by pinching and twisting the dough
closed. Place the finished bun, pleated side down, on the prepared baking
sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough circles and filling. Loosely cover
the buns with plastic wrap and set aside until almost doubled in size, 10
to 30 minutes, depending on the temperature of the room.

7. While the buns rise, divide the julienned ginger and vinegar between 2
communal bowls. Taste and, if the vinegar is too tart, add water by the
teaspoon. Set them at the table along with the soy sauce and chile oil for
guests to mix their own sauce.

8. To pan-fry the buns, use a medium or large nonstick skillet. Heat the
skillet(s) over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of canola oil for a medium
skillet and 1 1/2 tablespoons for a large one. Add the buns 1 at a time,
arranging them, pleated side up, a half-inch apart; they will expand during
cooking. The buns will need to be cooked in batches. (In general, medium
skillets will fit 8 or 9 buns; large skillets will fit 12 or 13 buns.) Fry
the buns for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they are golden or light brown on the
bottom. Use your fingers to gently lift them to check the color.

9. Holding the lid close to the skillet to lessen the spattering effect of
water hitting hot oil, carefully add enough water to come up the side of
the buns by one-fourth inch, about one-fourth cup. The water and oil will
sputter a bit. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil, placing it very slightly
ajar to allow steam to escape, so condensation doesn't fall on the buns and
perhaps cause their collapse. Let the water bubble away until it is mostly
gone, about 6 minutes.

10. When you hear sizzling noises (a sign that most of the water is gone),
remove the lid. Let the dumplings fry, uncovered, for about 1 minute, until
the bottoms are brown and crisp. At this point, you can serve the buns,
crisp bottoms up, like pot stickers. Or you can use chopsticks to flip each
bun over (separate any that are sticking together first) and then fry the
other side for about 45 seconds, until golden.

11. Remove from heat and wait for the cooking action to cease, then
transfer the buns to a serving plate. Display them golden side up. Serve
with the gingered vinegar, chile oil and soy sauce. Eat these buns with
chopsticks -- they're a little greasy on the fingers. Leftover buns can be
refrigerated and reheated with a touch of oil and a bit of water in a
nonstick skillet.

Each mini bun: 92 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0
fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 6 mg. cholesterol; 92 mg. sodium.

HTH

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer wrote:
> [...]

> the bottoms are brown and crisp. At this point, you can serve the buns,
> crisp bottoms up, like pot stickers. Or you can use chopsticks to flip each
> bun over (separate any that are sticking together first) and then fry the
> other side for about 45 seconds, until golden.
>
> 11. Remove from heat and wait for the cooking action to cease, then
> transfer the buns to a serving plate. Display them golden side up. Serve
> with the gingered vinegar, chile oil and soy sauce. Eat these buns with
> chopsticks -- they're a little greasy on the fingers. Leftover buns can be
> refrigerated and reheated with a touch of oil and a bit of water in a
> nonstick skillet.
>
> Each mini bun: 92 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0
> fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 6 mg. cholesterol; 92 mg. sodium.

It appears that the LAT reproduces their print edition without making
any allowances for the fact that related stories lose their on-page
connectedness(and thus, o the web, have stupid instructions like "see
above").

I did a search for their 'basic yeast dough' for the same date, and
found it he

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...0,793383.story

So now you have the complete thing, and some opinions from a very
opinionated guy too :-)

Cheers,

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

wrote:
> [...]

>> can be
>> refrigerated and reheated with a touch of oil and a bit of water in a
>> nonstick skillet.
>>
>> Each mini bun: 92 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0
>> fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 6 mg. cholesterol; 92 mg.
>> sodium.
>>
>> HTH
>>

> It appears that the LAT reproduces their print edition without making
> any allowances for the fact that related stories lose their on-page
> connectedness(and thus, o the web, have stupid instructions like "see
> above").
>
> I did a search for their 'basic yeast dough' for the same date, and
> found it he
>
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...0,793383.story
>

> So now you have the complete thing, and some opinions from a very

And you might as well have the steam-filled buns part too:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,2956074.story