Posted to alt.food.asian

Default another oddity to me

" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >> thanks, i like what i could read of the recipe but the creen reader
> >> doesn't like the style of the site, couldn't ever find the bread part
> >> or the second half of the filling, b ut thanks for the effort, Lee

> > []

> > Hi, Lee. I have trouble figuring out a lot of recipe sites, too. I
> > looked at the one Ian posted and I couldn't find the bread part,
> > either. You subscribe to alt.bread.recipes, so just make a basic yeast
> > dough. It's not brain surgery!
> >
> > Here's their recipe, in a screen-reader-friendly form. I've added a few
> > easily identifiable notes, since I'm a very opinionated guy. ;-)
> >[]

> It appears that the LAT reproduces their print edition without making
> any allowances for the fact that related stories lose their on-page
> connectedness(and thus, o the web, have stupid instructions like "see
> above").
>
> I did a search for their 'basic yeast dough' for the same date, and
> found it he
>
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...7a-2009oct07,0,
> 793383.story
>
> So now you have the complete thing, and some opinions from a very
> opinionated guy too :-)

Heh heh! Good sleuthing, Ian.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

this is a great recipe now that i read it, but its nothing like what i ate,
the bun had not been fried at all, the bun was sweet closer to haiwian,sp or
hot cross buns, i am sure it was oven baked as DH said the top was browned,
but it was so soft i think there was steam for part of it, its this dough i
am after, but meanwhile, i might get dh to do this filling with our regular
white bread. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]

> sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough circles and filling. Loosely cover
> the buns with plastic wrap and set aside until almost doubled in size, 10
> to 30 minutes, depending on the temperature of the room.
>
> 7. While the buns rise, divide the julienned ginger and vinegar between 2
> communal bowls. Taste and, if the vinegar is too tart, add water by the
> teaspoon. Set them at the table along with the soy sauce and chile oil for
> guests to mix their own sauce.
>
> 8. To pan-fry the buns, use a medium or large nonstick skillet. Heat the
> skillet(s) over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of canola oil for a
> medium
> skillet and 1 1/2 tablespoons for a large one. Add the buns 1 at a time,
> arranging them, pleated side up, a half-inch apart; they will expand
> during
> cooking. The buns will need to be cooked in batches. (In general, medium
> skillets will fit 8 or 9 buns; large skillets will fit 12 or 13 buns.) Fry
> the buns for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they are golden or light brown on
> the
> bottom. Use your fingers to gently lift them to check the color.
>
> 9. Holding the lid close to the skillet to lessen the spattering effect of
> water hitting hot oil, carefully add enough water to come up the side of
> the buns by one-fourth inch, about one-fourth cup. The water and oil will
> sputter a bit. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil, placing it very slightly
> ajar to allow steam to escape, so condensation doesn't fall on the buns
> and
> perhaps cause their collapse. Let the water bubble away until it is mostly
> gone, about 6 minutes.
>
> 10. When you hear sizzling noises (a sign that most of the water is gone),
> remove the lid. Let the dumplings fry, uncovered, for about 1 minute,
> until
> the bottoms are brown and crisp. At this point, you can serve the buns,
> crisp bottoms up, like pot stickers. Or you can use chopsticks to flip
> each
> bun over (separate any that are sticking together first) and then fry the
> other side for about 45 seconds, until golden.
>
> 11. Remove from heat and wait for the cooking action to cease, then
> transfer the buns to a serving plate. Display them golden side up. Serve
> with the gingered vinegar, chile oil and soy sauce. Eat these buns with
> chopsticks -- they're a little greasy on the fingers. Leftover buns can be
> refrigerated and reheated with a touch of oil and a bit of water in a
> nonstick skillet.
>
> Each mini bun: 92 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0
> fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 6 mg. cholesterol; 92 mg.
> sodium.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

Posted to alt.food.asian

now the bread recipe was fine and the reader did good, ARGH... will see if
we have this one later on, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> be
>> refrigerated and reheated with a touch of oil and a bit of water in a
>> nonstick skillet.
>>
>> Each mini bun: 92 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 0
>> fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 6 mg. cholesterol; 92 mg.
>> sodium.
>>
>> HTH
>>

> It appears that the LAT reproduces their print edition without making any
> allowances for the fact that related stories lose their on-page
> connectedness(and thus, o the web, have stupid instructions like "see
> above").
>
> I did a search for their 'basic yeast dough' for the same date, and found
> it he
>
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...0,793383.story
>
> So now you have the complete thing, and some opinions from a very

Posted to alt.food.asian

this seems a lot closer to what i had, thanks, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day