FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   Crispy Walnut Shrimp (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/21118-crispy-walnut-shrimp.html)

Tom Cardinal 23-05-2004 07:31 PM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp

Hello,

I live in the midwest, and have found this wonderful dish at
only one Chinese restaurant. Crispy Walnut Shrimp is a dish where the
shrimp are covered with a sweet coating, a sweet gravy, and served over
broccoli ( or pea pods ) and glazed walnuts.

This restaurant claims it is a more traditional dish that comes
from California. Any help on its origin? Or why it may not be as
popular in the midwest? Any fans of this delicacy.

Thanks!

Tom

Nathan Lau 23-05-2004 09:57 PM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp

Tom Cardinal wrote:

> I live in the midwest, and have found this wonderful dish at
> only one Chinese restaurant. Crispy Walnut Shrimp is a dish where the
> shrimp are covered with a sweet coating, a sweet gravy, and served over
> broccoli ( or pea pods ) and glazed walnuts.
>
> This restaurant claims it is a more traditional dish that comes
> from California. Any help on its origin? Or why it may not be as
> popular in the midwest? Any fans of this delicacy.

Americans seem to like this dish because it's so sweet. The sauce is
really mayonnaise. One of the reasons *I* don't like it so much.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Nona 24-05-2004 04:08 AM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp

On Sun, 23 May 2004 13:31:01 -0500, Tom Cardinal >
wrote:

> This restaurant claims it is a more traditional dish that comes
>from California. Any help on its origin? Or why it may not be as
>popular in the midwest? Any fans of this delicacy.

Honey walnut shrimp/prawns - I like it too. I like candied walnuts in
Chinese chicken salad (much like Martin Yan's version) very much. I
also like mayo!

Nona Myers

Dan Logcher 24-05-2004 04:31 AM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp

Nathan Lau wrote:

> Tom Cardinal wrote:
>
>> I live in the midwest, and have found this wonderful dish at
>> only one Chinese restaurant. Crispy Walnut Shrimp is a dish where the
>> shrimp are covered with a sweet coating, a sweet gravy, and served
>> over broccoli ( or pea pods ) and glazed walnuts.
>>
>> This restaurant claims it is a more traditional dish that comes
>> from California. Any help on its origin? Or why it may not be as
>> popular in the midwest? Any fans of this delicacy.

> Americans seem to like this dish because it's so sweet. The sauce is
> really mayonnaise. One of the reasons *I* don't like it so much.

I've had this a few times at Chinese banquets, and I don't care for it.
I'd rather have the seafood in birds nest appetizer.

--
Dan

RLK 06-06-2004 10:40 PM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp

"Tom Cardinal" > >
> I live in the midwest, and have found this wonderful dish at
> only one Chinese restaurant. Crispy Walnut Shrimp is a dish where the
> shrimp are covered with a sweet coating, a sweet gravy, and served over
> broccoli ( or pea pods ) and glazed walnuts.

My father calls it Shrimp Grand Marnier.... he makes it for us whenever he
comes to visit. I don't have an exact recipe but it is made from mayonnaise,
pineapple juice and Grand Marnier to your liking and drizzled over panfried
shrimp. I guess the idea is to dilute the mayo enough that it is perfect to
drizzle.

08-06-2004 11:18 PM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp

i got the following from http://www.hungrymonster.com
they have a TON of other chinese recipes==here's the exact link:

http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/...ch=Chinese&ttl
=630

Honey-Walnut Prawns
Course : Chinese

Serves: 4
Ingredients:

1/2 cup walnuts
5 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups oil
16 medium prawns -- peeled and cleaned
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup egg whites
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon condensed milk
1/2 cup oil
*
Preparation:

Here's a goody. I normally shy away from Western influenced Chinese recipes
and would never have fixed this one on my own. It calls for such non-Chinese
things as milk and mayonnaise. My room mate fixed it the other night though,
and it was excellent. He was trying to duplicate a dish that he and his date
had at a Chinese place a while back and apparently, this is almost it.
Laurie suggested it would be closer to the restaurant dish by just dusting
the shrimp with cornstarch rather than making a batter. I imagine that it
would be good either way. It certainly is good this way! Rinse walnuts, then
boil in 5 cups water, continually changing water until clear. When clear,
boil with sugar until sugar dissolves. Heat 2 cups oil until almost smoking,
then deep-fry walnuts until they're shiny and brown, no longer golden.
Remove walnuts to cookie sheet, let cool. Mix cornstarch and egg whites
together to form a thick, sticky texture and mix well with prawns. Set
aside. Mix honey, mayonnaise, lemon juice and condensed milk in a medium
bowl until smooth. Heat oil until boiling, then deep fry prawns until golden
brown. Drain, then fold in honey-mayonnaise mixture. mix well, sprinkle with
walnuts, and arrange on platter.
*

Jeff Russell 09-06-2004 06:19 AM

Crispy Walnut Shrimp