KR

Default Curry donut recipe?

Hi everyone,

After eating my first curry donut, from a Japanese bakery, I'm
determined to figure or find out how to make this amazing but
improbable sounding food.

The exterior appears to be a standard yeast-raised donut, but coated
in panko. The curry filling (at least in the one I had) appears to be
a Japanese style curry with conspicuous bits of onion and carrot in a
thick spicy gravy. The exterior of the donut offered little clue as to
when or how the curry center was formed (ie, introduced before or
after frying, and how - though I didn't see a hole when I looked).

Does anyone have any more in-depth information?

Also, if anyone can recommend a Japanese cookbook for baked goods
(breads and perhaps donuts as well) I'd be grateful. I have seen
comparable cookbooks that deal with Chinese breads, buns and pastries.
In English would be preferred - but one in Japanese with good
illustrations or photos and a clear, step-by-step layout would work
out.

Thanks,
krnntp
Jean B.

KR wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> After eating my first curry donut, from a Japanese bakery, I'm
> determined to figure or find out how to make this amazing but
> improbable sounding food.
>
> The exterior appears to be a standard yeast-raised donut, but coated
> in panko. The curry filling (at least in the one I had) appears to be
> a Japanese style curry with conspicuous bits of onion and carrot in a
> thick spicy gravy. The exterior of the donut offered little clue as to
> when or how the curry center was formed (ie, introduced before or
> after frying, and how - though I didn't see a hole when I looked).
>
> Does anyone have any more in-depth information?
>
> Also, if anyone can recommend a Japanese cookbook for baked goods
> (breads and perhaps donuts as well) I'd be grateful. I have seen
> comparable cookbooks that deal with Chinese breads, buns and pastries.
> In English would be preferred - but one in Japanese with good
> illustrations or photos and a clear, step-by-step layout would work
> out.
>
> Thanks,
> krnntp

Well, just for you I bought a cookbook yesterday, because it
contained such a recipe. Actually it has both a fried and a baked
version. I don't think they look quite right. (The dough in the
fried one is too puffy; since I have never had the baked one, I
don't know what the dough should be like. As for the filling: in
the photos, it looks too scant, with not enough of the unctuous
curry "glue"; and is it normally made with ground meat? [It has
been so long since I indulged. Maybe I'll have to get one for
myself today--in addition to a couple for my daughter.] That
being said, I hope this recipe may provide a clue or two, since
the recipe you search for is elusive.
--
Jean B.

Fried Curry Donut
Source: Lee Hwa Lin, "International Baking Delights" (Wei-Chuan
Cultural-Educational Foundation, August 1996). Recipe spliced
together and edited by Jean B.

Dough:
1/5 oz (6 g) active dry yeast
120 g (4 1/4 oz) water
2 oz (60 g) beaten eggs
1 1/4 oz (36 g) granulated sugar
1/3 oz (10 g) powdered milk
3/8 tsp salt
10 1/2 oz (300 g) bread flour
1 oz (27 gr) margarine
1 oz (27 gr) shortening
additional bread flour for dusting

Curry Filling:
2 Tbsps oil
2 tsps curry powder [JB: I guess I'd get a Japanese brand]
3 1/2 oz (100 g) diced onion
5 1/3 oz (150 g) ground pork
3/4 tsps salt
2 tsps flour
5 Tbsps water

panko, as needed

Dissolve yeast in water and mix well with the eggs, sugar,
powdered milk, and salt. Sift the flour and mix with the above
plus the margarine and shortening. Let stand at room temperature
to rise for 90 minutes or until doubled in size.

Toward the end of the 90 minutes, make the filling. Heat the
wok. Add 2 Tbsps oil. Stir-fry curry powder until fragrant. Add
diced onion and fry it. Add pork and stir-fry until pork is
cooked through. Season with salt. Add flour and mix well. Add 5
Tbsps water and mix well. Divide into 8 equal portions.

Dredge dough in bowl with a little more bread flour. Divide dough
into 8 equal portions, and flatten them into circles with a
rolling pin. Place a portion of the filling in the center and wrap
dough around it, forming a slightly flattened ball. Be sure to
seal seams well. Brush with a little water and evenly dust with
panko. Let rise for 30 minutes.

Heat frying pot. Add 8 cups of oil and heat to 120C (250F).
Deep-fry the doughnuts over low heat until golden. Jean B. via
afa
Jeff Russell

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Jeff
"Jean B." > wrote in message ...
> [...]

> to rise for 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
>
> Toward the end of the 90 minutes, make the filling. Heat the
> wok. Add 2 Tbsps oil. Stir-fry curry powder until fragrant. Add
> diced onion and fry it. Add pork and stir-fry until pork is
> cooked through. Season with salt. Add flour and mix well. Add 5
> Tbsps water and mix well. Divide into 8 equal portions.
>
> Dredge dough in bowl with a little more bread flour. Divide dough
> into 8 equal portions, and flatten them into circles with a
> rolling pin. Place a portion of the filling in the center and wrap
> dough around it, forming a slightly flattened ball. Be sure to
> seal seams well. Brush with a little water and evenly dust with
> panko. Let rise for 30 minutes.
>
> Heat frying pot. Add 8 cups of oil and heat to 120C (250F).
> Deep-fry the doughnuts over low heat until golden. Jean B. via

Jean B.

Jeff Russell wrote:

> Thanks, I'll give it a try.
>
> Jeff

I do have to say that since I posted that recipe, I got a baked
curry bun in Boston's Chinatown. It had a ground meat filling and
was not NEARLY as good as the deep-fat fried Japanese version.
The dough MIGHT be okay, esp. if it was fried, but the filling...
Funny. I saw a recipe for Japanese curry in a book the other day,
but it used the premade packages. Surely there must be a way to
replicate the filling, and to make Japanese curries in general,
from scratch.

--
Jean B.
Jeff Russell

Most of the curry I ate in Japan was from the pre-packaged block. I
developed a taste for it. The only curry I ate there that was different and
more authentic was made in an Indian owned restaurant.
IMO, when Japanese people think local "Kari", they are thinking about the
pre-packaged stuff.

Thanks for the assessment on the baked donut.

"Jean B." > wrote in message ...
> Jeff Russell wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, I'll give it a try.
> >
> > Jeff

> I do have to say that since I posted that recipe, I got a baked
> curry bun in Boston's Chinatown. It had a ground meat filling and
> was not NEARLY as good as the deep-fat fried Japanese version.
> The dough MIGHT be okay, esp. if it was fried, but the filling...
> Funny. I saw a recipe for Japanese curry in a book the other day,
> but it used the premade packages. Surely there must be a way to
> replicate the filling, and to make Japanese curries in general,
> from scratch.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Jean B.

Jeff Russell wrote:

> Most of the curry I ate in Japan was from the pre-packaged block. I
> developed a taste for it. The only curry I ate there that was different and
> more authentic was made in an Indian owned restaurant.
> IMO, when Japanese people think local "Kari", they are thinking about the
> pre-packaged stuff.
>
> Thanks for the assessment on the baked donut.

I wonder if that is the ONLY way to achieve the proper flavor and
texture. Seems odd, but...

--
Jean B.
Nona Shinagawa Myers

On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:40:42 GMT, "Jeff Russell" >
wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Curry Bread

Recipe By :Nona/s variation
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Bread/Pan

1 kilogram flour
85 grams butter
17 grams salt
120 grams sugar
2 eggs
35 grams yeast
520 cc warm water

Filling:
2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 teaspoon pepper
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon clove
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala (may need more)
2 tablespoons curry powder (may need more)
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup yogurt
3 tablespoons ketchup (or 2 T tomato paste)
1 tablespoon sugar (may need more)
1 tablespoon honey
2 potatoes, skinned, boiled, cubed

panko
egg wash
oil

Mix the bread ingredients as if making bread. Let it rise twice.

Brown meat, add onion and garlic. Cook. Mix all other ingredients
and cook until desired taste and consistency. (Several hours simmer).

Form the dough into four inch rounds and fill each with curry filling.
Using egg wash, cover half with panko and other half, plain. Fry.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nona
KR

"Jean B." > wrote in message >...
> KR wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > After eating my first curry donut, from a Japanese bakery, I'm
> > determined to figure or find out how to make this amazing but
> > improbable sounding food.

> (snipped)
> > Thanks,
> > krnntp

> Well, just for you I bought a cookbook yesterday, because it
> contained such a recipe. Actually it has both a fried and a baked
> version. I don't think they look quite right. (The dough in the
> fried one is too puffy; since I have never had the baked one, I
> don't know what the dough should be like. As for the filling: in
> the photos, it looks too scant, with not enough of the unctuous
> curry "glue"; and is it normally made with ground meat? [It has
> been so long since I indulged. Maybe I'll have to get one for
> myself today--in addition to a couple for my daughter.] That
> being said, I hope this recipe may provide a clue or two, since
> the recipe you search for is elusive.
> --
> Jean B.

Thanks, Jean! This is exciting. I will have to wait until the kitchen
is in order for deep-frying again, but I hope that won't be long.

The version I had definitely had no meat - although the ingredients
label did list "beef fat" as well as vegetables and I think, curry
powder. The exterior seemed almost a twin to the standard western
yeast-raised donut that one would normally find filled with acrid
raspberry jelly. (Sigh. somewhere they must use real jelly in the
things, but I haven't yet met one).

Cheers!
krnntp
KR

Nona Shinagawa Myers > wrote in message >. ..

> * Exported from MasterCook *
> Curry Bread
>
> Recipe By :Nona/s variation
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beef Bread/Pan

> 1 kilogram flour
> 85 grams butter
> 17 grams salt
> 120 grams sugar
> 2 eggs
> 35 grams yeast
> 520 cc warm water
>
> Filling:
> 2 pounds ground beef
> 1 onion, chopped
> 3 garlic cloves, minced
> 1/3 teaspoon pepper
> 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
> 1/3 teaspoon clove
> 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon allspice
> 1/2 teaspoon coriander
> 1 teaspoon garam masala (may need more)
> 2 tablespoons curry powder (may need more)
> 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
> 1/4 cup yogurt
> 3 tablespoons ketchup (or 2 T tomato paste)
> 1 tablespoon sugar (may need more)
> 1 tablespoon honey
> 2 potatoes, skinned, boiled, cubed
>
> panko
> egg wash
> oil
>
> Mix the bread ingredients as if making bread. Let it rise twice.
>
> Brown meat, add onion and garlic. Cook. Mix all other ingredients
> and cook until desired taste and consistency. (Several hours simmer).
>
> Form the dough into four inch rounds and fill each with curry filling.
> Using egg wash, cover half with panko and other half, plain. Fry.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Nona

Thanks, Nona. I'll give the curry mixture a go, and see at least if I
can master the filling. I see that you have a finely calibrated
mixture of spices in your recipe... do you recommend an Indian or
Japanese (or domestic American) curry powder in combination? (Asking
as you have also called for garam masala)

Best - krnntp
Nona

On 18 May 2004 11:32:48 -0700, (KR) wrote:

>Thanks, Nona. I'll give the curry mixture a go, and see at least if I
>can master the filling. I see that you have a finely calibrated
>mixture of spices in your recipe... do you recommend an Indian or
>Japanese (or domestic American) curry powder in combination? (Asking
>as you have also called for garam masala)
>
>Best - krnntp

Hi - I've made this many times and most times I've used the better
quality mixed with average quality curry powder from Penzeys. The
ingredients for the filling should be to your taste and I use mine as
a guide - sometimes exactly and other times I add more or less. The
bread portion should be exact. Sorry that I'm mixing metric with US,
but often I cook that way. I use my scale a lot when making baking
goods.

Also, since this is a cheat sheet for myself, I did not indicate that
potato cubes (about 1/2 inch steamed or boiled) should be added in the
end to keep some of it's shape, but it's optional. Sometimes I also
like to add raisins and cut up dried apricots or mangoes.

Normal size should be about 5 inches long and about 2 1/2 inches wide.
Use as much filling as you can (I hate those skimpy ones) and fold
over and pinch the ends closed. It should be somewhat oblong.
Although panko is not necessary I like the look of one side panko and
other side plain. Although I've never counted how many I ended up
making with this recipe, it does make quite a bit. I usually freeze
mine and give half to my parents. These are really great treats as
well as quick lunch. Most store bought ones are quite pasty tasting
without much meat and this recipe is much more meatier and robust.
These will fry quite quickly, fry just enough to brown and drain well.

Good luck.

Nona Myers

recipe for curry Mark Thorson General Cooking 2 05-10-2012 02:19 AM
Ping: James - Dazey Donut Factory Recipe sf General Cooking 3 28-11-2004 12:30 AM
jelly donut filling recipe? Jan Baking 3 08-06-2004 07:50 AM
Mushroom curry - recipe? matt Recipes 1 03-02-2004 04:55 PM
Sweet curry recipe Darryl L. Pierce General Cooking 0 06-01-2004 01:46 PM