Judy Bolton

Default Chinese Sausages

I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time, and used them, broiled, in
an Asian-style salad - cucumber, daikon, carrot, onion, in a dressing of
fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, etc. It was absolutely delicious, and I
think I am already addicted to the sausages.

Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
them... didn't come up with much!

Thanks in advance!

Judy - Rochester, NY

Dan Logcher

Judy Bolton wrote:

> I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time, and used them, broiled, in
> an Asian-style salad - cucumber, daikon, carrot, onion, in a dressing of
> fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, etc. It was absolutely delicious, and I
> think I am already addicted to the sausages.
>
> Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
> online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
> them... didn't come up with much!

I always throw one or two in the rice cooker for added flavor.
Otherwise, I slice and stir fry with other meats and veggies.

--
Dan

DC.

LupCheong in Cantonese is traditionally hand made using choice pork meat
with a good share of fat, this is then marinated & like all sausages stuffed
into skins from intestinal membranes etc. this is then hung up & dried in
cold mountain air aka wind dried. The best way to eat LupCheong is what Dan
suggests, steam/cook them when you're making rice. The oils will drip out &
flavour the rice. This is normally eaten during winter with an assortment of
dried meats(liver sausage/blood sausage/wax ducks/ham etc.) The generic term
for it in Cantonese is LupYuk or Lup Mei i think? wax meat in English?? It's
a very simple meal consisting of a plate of Lup Yuk/Mei steamed over rice &
served with LaiTong/daily soup. ie. chicken or pork bone soup with vegs etc.
If you go into a Chinese roast duck/charsiew rest. that hangs it's ducks etc
by the window, just have a look to see if there are any old timers in there.
If there are & it's winter where you are, sit down & ask for Lup Yuk/Mei Fan
+ LaiTong.

You'll have to be careful with LupCheong these days as mass produced ones
probably contain a lot more additives & chems. Ask the shop owner which is
the best or premium brand etc. & chances are it'll also be quite fatty.
These are the best & if you can still get them hand made, it's even better.
I hear from sources that Vancouver/Canada produces some good lup cheong
these days. don't know of any brands but i'm sure someone here will be able
to tell you.

LupCheong is used in a variety of dishes but mainly as an added ingredients
together with others. Chinese radish/turnip cake/paste(loh pak koh) uses
them etc. It is also highly popular during Chinese New Year so i'd suggest
you go have a look at some CNY recipes. Apart from that, gently fry sliced
lupcheong in a wok to release the oils & make an omelette of your choice &
serve with rice. Typical school or home cooked food from back in the day!
Mmmmm.....

DC.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:32:43 +0100, DC. >:
>LupCheong in Cantonese is traditionally hand made using choice pork meat
>with a good share of fat, this is then marinated & like all sausages stuffed
>into skins from intestinal membranes etc. this is then hung up & dried in
>cold mountain air aka wind dried. The best way to eat LupCheong is what Dan
>suggests, steam/cook them when you're making rice. The oils will drip out &
>flavour the rice. This is normally eaten during winter with an assortment of
>dried meats(liver sausage/blood sausage/wax ducks/ham etc.) The generic term
>for it in Cantonese is LupYuk or Lup Mei i think? wax meat in English?? It's
>a very simple meal consisting of a plate of Lup Yuk/Mei steamed over rice &
>served with LaiTong/daily soup. ie. chicken or pork bone soup with vegs etc.
>If you go into a Chinese roast duck/charsiew rest. that hangs it's ducks etc
>by the window, just have a look to see if there are any old timers in there.
>If there are & it's winter where you are, sit down & ask for Lup Yuk/Mei Fan
>+ LaiTong.

After reading your post I decided that that was what I was to have for
lunch. made some fried runny eggs on rice steamed with the sausage and
a splash of soy sauce. been months since I had something like this. if
I only had baby bok choy in my fridge as well... the perfect simple meal

>LupCheong is used in a variety of dishes but mainly as an added ingredients
>together with others. Chinese radish/turnip cake/paste(loh pak koh) uses

Alternative spelling, law bak goh. One of my favorites too..

>Judy Bolton > wrote in message
. ..
>> Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
>> online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
>> them... didn't come up with much!

hard to nail phonetically.. if you're searching online try
laap cheong, lop cheong, or lup cheong

danseur

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> Judy Bolton wrote:
>
> > I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time, and used them, broiled, in
> > an Asian-style salad - cucumber, daikon, carrot, onion, in a dressing of
> > fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, etc. It was absolutely delicious, and I
> > think I am already addicted to the sausages.
> >
> > Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
> > online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
> > them... didn't come up with much!

> I always throw one or two in the rice cooker for added flavor.
> Otherwise, I slice and stir fry with other meats and veggies.

probably not available in rochester, but be aware that taiwanese style
sausages are a LOT sweeter (sugar). i've seen them sliced & pan-fried
in taiwan. otherwise, other than throwing them into the rice cooker, i
like to slice them them & steam them on top of a ground pork mixture
that includes egg white, cornstarch and minced water chestnuts, and
eat that over white rice. simple chinese comfort food at its best!

B.Server

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:01:53 GMT, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Judy Bolton wrote:
>
>> I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time, and used them, broiled, in
>> an Asian-style salad - cucumber, daikon, carrot, onion, in a dressing of
>> fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, etc. It was absolutely delicious, and I
>> think I am already addicted to the sausages.
>>
>> Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
>> online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
>> them... didn't come up with much!

>I always throw one or two in the rice cooker for added flavor.
>Otherwise, I slice and stir fry with other meats and veggies.

I missed the original post.

Bruce Aidell has a recipe in his Complete Sausage Book. He calls it
Lop Chong.
DC.

<snip>
> Wax meat? Never heard of it. Googling it brings up several
> mentions of it on menus, but doesn't say what it is. here's some
> guesses:
>
> 1. Headcheese (gelatinous, but not exactly 'waxy')
> 2. A meatloaf made mostly from solid or solidified fat.
> 3. Meat from the 5-legged wax animal (?)

Hahaa.. the wonders of google! 5 legged wax animal?? that must be the an
escapee from Madame Tussauds wax musuem in London. LOL. I think(might be
mistaken) but the term wax meat comes from the (bad) translation from
Chinese to English. What it is is basically wind dried meat covered in
natural fats etc. You know that flatten duck you sometimes see in Chinatown,
spreadeagled etc. that's a prime example of Chinese wax meat.

> Here's an excerpt from a post of mine a few months ago:
>
> > I found a good brand the other day called "Venus". They're made in
> > City of Industry, CA and come in a pink-labelled package. They're
> > short, squat and round sausages, not long and crinkled like most of
> > the brands. A very good brand, IMO. The only one I'll seek out from
> > now on.

Yes i remember that post & am still looking out for that brand if it ever
turns up in the UK, in the meantime, i still have a very large stockpile of
it from Asia.

> I've had some really bad Chinese sausages. Some sources claim
> that a high liver content is desirable in a good sausage <shrug>,
> but I'm not sure I agree.

That is suppose to be true judging by the way old timers like it. i think
it's all down to taste. From what i know there's pork, 1/2 pork & 1/2liver &
liver Chinese sausages. I don't mind the liver sausages as long as there's
the normal pork ones too. Hmmm... might try & order some when i'm next in
Chinatown.

DC.

Judy Bolton

"Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
> I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time

snip

> Judy - Rochester, NY

Thank you to everyone - I now have some research to do (happily) on a few
fronts... oh, and some eating, as well!

Again, thank you!

Dan Logcher

danseur wrote:

> Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
>
>>Judy Bolton wrote:
>>

>>>I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time, and used them, broiled, in
>>>an Asian-style salad - cucumber, daikon, carrot, onion, in a dressing of
>>>fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, etc. It was absolutely delicious, and I
>>>think I am already addicted to the sausages.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
>>>online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
>>>them... didn't come up with much!
>>>

>>I always throw one or two in the rice cooker for added flavor.
>>Otherwise, I slice and stir fry with other meats and veggies.
>>

> probably not available in rochester, but be aware that taiwanese style
> sausages are a LOT sweeter (sugar). i've seen them sliced & pan-fried
> in taiwan. otherwise, other than throwing them into the rice cooker, i
> like to slice them them & steam them on top of a ground pork mixture
> that includes egg white, cornstarch and minced water chestnuts, and
> eat that over white rice. simple chinese comfort food at its best!

I have two types in my fridge. One is the regular type and the other
has more of a liver flavor to it, and is darker in color.

I do a ground pork, egg, and sausage mix too. I sometimes throw in
frozen peas & carrots for color.

--
Dan

danseur

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> danseur wrote:
>
> > Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...

> >>I always throw one or two in the rice cooker for added flavor.
> >>Otherwise, I slice and stir fry with other meats and veggies.
> >>

> > probably not available in rochester, but be aware that taiwanese style
> > sausages are a LOT sweeter (sugar). i've seen them sliced & pan-fried
> > in taiwan. otherwise, other than throwing them into the rice cooker, i
> > like to slice them them & steam them on top of a ground pork mixture
> > that includes egg white, cornstarch and minced water chestnuts, and
> > eat that over white rice. simple chinese comfort food at its best!

> I have two types in my fridge. One is the regular type and the other
> has more of a liver flavor to it, and is darker in color.

liver! to each their own...

> I do a ground pork, egg, and sausage mix too. I sometimes throw in
> frozen peas & carrots for color.

i know some folk like to use salted egg or salted fish in place of the
lop cheung. sacrilege IMO! and i suspect with the peas & carrots the
texture & flavor just wouldn't be the same - try adding the egg white
& cornstarch - and the fattier the pork, the better! it's not quite
toro but i can snarf down a lot of rice with a dish of that steamed
pork.

speaking of toro, i need to go have some sushi. and i've taken
musashi's recommendation on tofu in dashi with ponzu sauce & yuzo
kosho. it's REALLY good!

lesliemm

"Judy Bolton" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have good recipes for these sausages? I did not see many
> online, and even tried (possibly a poor spelling of) the Chinese name for
> them... didn't come up with much!

I slice and steam them with chicken, shitake mushrooms, green onions and
fresh ginger with a good splash of mushroom soy.
Leslie in Atlanta

ate1

"DC." > wrote in message >...
> [great info]
> LupCheong is used in a variety of dishes but mainly as an added ingredients
> together with others. Chinese radish/turnip cake/paste(loh pak koh) uses
> them etc. It is also highly popular during Chinese New Year so i'd suggest
> you go have a look at some CNY recipes. Apart from that, gently fry sliced
> lupcheong in a wok to release the oils & make an omelette of your choice &
> serve with rice. Typical school or home cooked food from back in the day!
> Mmmmm.....

First off, I haven't been around in a long time, new job, new
newsreader (or lack there of) and I've missed reading a.f.a.

The sausage in an omelette with green onion and oyster sauce on top
and rice underneath is one of my favorite quick meals. I also really
like the clay pot dish where lop cheong, chicken thighs, green onions
and shiitakes are steamed over rice. Can anyone supply the name of
this dish?

-Amalia
DC.

Oops... made a mistake.... Claypot Rice is called SarPouFan (direct
translation Sand Pot Rice) & that YaoMeiFan is translated into Oil Flavoured
Rice where in a fragrant oil sauce or gravy is sometimes poured in to
flavour the rice, even though the Chinese sausages & other ingredients are
full of flavour. I often make YaoMeiFan beause it's a simple & quick meal
using up whatever left over meat & vegs etc.

DC.

DC. > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > The sausage in an omelette with green onion and oyster sauce on top
> > and rice underneath is one of my favorite quick meals. I also really
> > like the clay pot dish where lop cheong, chicken thighs, green onions
> > and shiitakes are steamed over rice. Can anyone supply the name of
> > this dish?

> Claypot Rice... aka YaoMeiFan. There are many variations to this & you

just
> make it up to how you like it. It's more a 'home
> cooking' style of dish & you'll find it along street stalls or at home

etc.
> Not really a 'high class' restaurant dish in Asia & West but some
> restaurants might offer it in a special menu etc.
>
> DC.
>
> ps. chinese sausage omelette+green onion+dark sweet soy was one of our
> favourite school lunch from back in the day. The other option was a fried
> egg sunny side up covered in sweet soy & buried under rice. You break the
> egg yolk as you go through the rice to find a simple but tasty addition to
> lunch.

Judy Bolton

"DC." > wrote in message
> Oops... made a mistake.... Claypot Rice is called SarPouFan (direct
> translation Sand Pot Rice) & that YaoMeiFan is translated into Oil

Flavoured
> Rice where in a fragrant oil sauce or gravy is sometimes poured in to
> flavour the rice, even though the Chinese sausages & other ingredients are
> full of flavour. I often make YaoMeiFan beause it's a simple & quick meal
> using up whatever left over meat & vegs etc.
>
> DC.

Both of these dishes sound especially good - I have the names and will look
into them some more. I love the idea of "quick and simple" while still
being delicious since I have a new baby and am still getting used to, well,
everything.

Thanks, again, everyone, for all of the ideas, info, and recipes!

Judy B

Arsenio Oloroso

Caught this thread late. Here's a recipe from Mei Leung's "The New
Classic Chinese Cookbook." I sometimes have this dish for breakfast.
Quick, filling and mighty tasty!

CHINESE CHIVES AND SAUSAGES WITH EGGS

The Chinese chives are a grass-like, onion-flavored vegetable. They
come in dark green or yellow. The yellow kind costs at least twice as
much as the dark-green variety. They are not only delicious, but also
have the effect of treating male sterility, according to traditional
Chinese medicine.

PREPARATION OF INGREDIENTS

4 tablespoons oil
3 Chinese sausages: cut each lengthwise, then dice
1 pound Chinese chives: wash; cut off about 2 inches of the whitish
part and discard; cut chives into 1-inch lengths

SAUCE MIXTURE (Mix in bowl)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon thin soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

6 large eggs: beat with 1/2 teaspoon salt until foamy (Note: I leave out
the salt)

DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING

1. Heat wok over high heat and swirl in oil. When oil is hot, add
sausages and stir-fry for about 12 minute or until they are lightly
browned. Add chives and stir-fry until they are tender. Add sauce
mixture and stir to mix well.
2. Turn heat to medium. Swirl in egg mixture. Wait until parts of the
egg are set, then scramble eggs with sausages and chives until eggs are
done, but still moist. Serve hot.

Judy Bolton wrote:
> "Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
>
>>I just bought Chinese sausage for the first time

> snip
>

>>Judy - Rochester, NY
>>

> Thank you to everyone - I now have some research to do (happily) on a few
> fronts... oh, and some eating, as well!
>
> Again, thank you!

Jack B

In article >,
Arsenio Oloroso > wrote:

> Caught this thread late. Here's a recipe from Mei Leung's "The New
> Classic Chinese Cookbook." I sometimes have this dish for breakfast.
> Quick, filling and mighty tasty!
>
> CHINESE CHIVES AND SAUSAGES WITH EGGS
>
> The Chinese chives are a grass-like, onion-flavored vegetable. They
> come in dark green or yellow. The yellow kind costs at least twice as
> much as the dark-green variety. They are not only delicious, but also
> have the effect of treating male sterility, according to traditional
> Chinese medicine.
>
> PREPARATION OF INGREDIENTS
>
> 4 tablespoons oil
> 3 Chinese sausages: cut each lengthwise, then dice
> 1 pound Chinese chives: wash; cut off about 2 inches of the whitish
> part and discard; cut chives into 1-inch lengths
>
> SAUCE MIXTURE (Mix in bowl)
> 1/4 teaspoon sugar
> 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1 tablespoon thin soy sauce
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
>
> 6 large eggs: beat with 1/2 teaspoon salt until foamy (Note: I leave out
> the salt)
>
> DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING
>
> 1. Heat wok over high heat and swirl in oil. When oil is hot, add
> sausages and stir-fry for about 12 minute or until they are lightly
> browned. Add chives and stir-fry until they are tender. Add sauce
> mixture and stir to mix well.
> 2. Turn heat to medium. Swirl in egg mixture. Wait until parts of the
> egg are set, then scramble eggs with sausages and chives until eggs are
> done, but still moist. Serve hot.

Oh, sounds so good.

And... just a comment... I've lately been putting cut-up Chinese
sausages into my rice cooker along with the rice. As suggested by a
couple of posters.

Not too happy about that.

The sausages seem to lose a lot of flavor.

So far, I've used the rice/sausage for kimchee fried rice (ooo... I
could live on this stuff... lovely...
[bacon_or_sausage+rice+kimchee+oystersauce]).

Think I'd rather fry the "raw" sausage a bit, then add rice and other
stuff. Will be doing that after I finish the current batch of
rice/sausage.

__
Jack
DC.

<snip>
> Oh, sounds so good.
>
> And... just a comment... I've lately been putting cut-up Chinese
> sausages into my rice cooker along with the rice. As suggested by a
> couple of posters.
>
> Not too happy about that.
>
> The sausages seem to lose a lot of flavor.

I am sorry for not highlighting this but do not boil/cook the sausages in
the rice with water, Only place the sausages into the rice or on top of the
rice when all the water have evaporated/cooked away. Cooking it this way,
you are in effect steaming the suasages sitting or slightly buried into the
surface of the rice & allowing excess fats to flavour the rice. This is how
it is done.

DC.

Jack B

In article >,
"DC." > wrote:

> <snip>
> > Oh, sounds so good.
> >
> > And... just a comment... I've lately been putting cut-up Chinese
> > sausages into my rice cooker along with the rice. As suggested by a
> > couple of posters.
> >
> > Not too happy about that.
> >
> > The sausages seem to lose a lot of flavor.

> I am sorry for not highlighting this but do not boil/cook the sausages in
> the rice with water, Only place the sausages into the rice or on top of the
> rice when all the water have evaporated/cooked away. Cooking it this way,
> you are in effect steaming the suasages sitting or slightly buried into the
> surface of the rice & allowing excess fats to flavour the rice. This is how
> it is done.
>
> DC.

So... one puts the uncooked cut-up sausage pieces over the rice after
the cooker has clicked off (to "warm")... is this right?

__
Jack
DC.

<snip>
> So... one puts the uncooked cut-up sausage pieces over the rice after
> the cooker has clicked off (to "warm")... is this right?

Oh dear, let me explain again....

If you're using a rice cooker, follow instructions for cooking rice. If your
rice cooker has a clear glass lid then you can see when the water has cooked
down until all you see is a little water bubbling on the surface of the
rice, this is the time to put your sausages in, not when it goes click &
warm or ready to serve. If you do not have a clear glass lid, then i suggest
having a peep every now & then. I wouldn't dice the sausages up into tiny
pieces, perhaps just slice them into thick slices would be fine. I prefer to
slice them thick or sometimes leaving them thumbsize etc. you don't want it
to loose all the fat & flavour while steaming it on top of the rice. I only
use a rice cooker when i have no more rings left on my cooker, most of the
time, i use a small or medium size pot or even my old claypot to cook rice.
This is especially good for making claypot rice or other rice+meat dishes.
Typical Chinese all in one pot home cooking.

Cooking rice in a pot/medium saucepan+lid. Do as you would normally for rice
cooker, wash & rinse rice etc. Finally pour in water. You might want to
double the amount of water to rice 2:1 etc. depending on the type of rice
you use. Also cooking rice in a pot this way, you lose a lot of the water
through boiling, hence the 2:1 water to rice ratio. This is slightly
different from a rice cooker being that the lid is left off until the water
boils down & has evaporated & all you see is the soft grains bubbling gently
on top of the rice. This is when you would put the lid on & also the time to
add your sausages in (also season minced pork, veg, mushrooms, beaten egg
etc. etc. if you're making other 1 pot rice+meat dishes.) After you've put
in your sausages, cover with lid & simmer at the lowest possible flame for
10-15 minutes. depending on how much rice you're cooking. Leaving the lid on
for a few extra minutes after the 10-15mins. of simmering always helps to
get the rice perfect. Cooking rice this way is something you'll have to
practise at home with your cooker, pot & type of rice you use. It's not that
difficult & i've been doing it like this since i was a kid. A rice cooker is
easy & simple if you just want coooked rice & no fuss. I hope this helps.

DC.

Tippi

Jack B > wrote in message news
> I've lately been putting cut-up Chinese
> sausages into my rice cooker along with the rice. As suggested by a
> couple of posters.
>
> Not too happy about that.
>
> The sausages seem to lose a lot of flavor.

In my family we put the sausage in after it has started boiling. By
that time the rice is thick enough so that the sausage rests on top.
BTW to obtain the most flavour in the rice, you should use what I
called the "wind-dried trio": sausage, wind-dried bacon and wind-dried
duck.

Dan Logcher

Jack B wrote:

> In article >,
> Arsenio Oloroso > wrote:
>

>>Caught this thread late. Here's a recipe from Mei Leung's "The New
>>Classic Chinese Cookbook." I sometimes have this dish for breakfast.
>>Quick, filling and mighty tasty!
>>
>>CHINESE CHIVES AND SAUSAGES WITH EGGS
>>
>>The Chinese chives are a grass-like, onion-flavored vegetable. They
>>come in dark green or yellow. The yellow kind costs at least twice as
>>much as the dark-green variety. They are not only delicious, but also
>>have the effect of treating male sterility, according to traditional
>>Chinese medicine.
>>
>>PREPARATION OF INGREDIENTS
>>
>>4 tablespoons oil
>>3 Chinese sausages: cut each lengthwise, then dice
>>1 pound Chinese chives: wash; cut off about 2 inches of the whitish
>>part and discard; cut chives into 1-inch lengths
>>
>>SAUCE MIXTURE (Mix in bowl)
>>1/4 teaspoon sugar
>>1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
>>1 tablespoon thin soy sauce
>>1 teaspoon sesame oil
>>
>>6 large eggs: beat with 1/2 teaspoon salt until foamy (Note: I leave out
>>the salt)
>>
>>DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING
>>
>>1. Heat wok over high heat and swirl in oil. When oil is hot, add
>>sausages and stir-fry for about 12 minute or until they are lightly
>>browned. Add chives and stir-fry until they are tender. Add sauce
>>mixture and stir to mix well.
>>2. Turn heat to medium. Swirl in egg mixture. Wait until parts of the
>>egg are set, then scramble eggs with sausages and chives until eggs are
>>done, but still moist. Serve hot.
>>

> Oh, sounds so good.
>
> And... just a comment... I've lately been putting cut-up Chinese
> sausages into my rice cooker along with the rice. As suggested by a
> couple of posters.
>
> Not too happy about that.
>
> The sausages seem to lose a lot of flavor.

Yes, but the rice gains the flavor. I've also found the rice
because a little more sticky, which I find desirable in some
cases.

--
Dan

Jack B

In article >, "DC." >
wrote:

> <snip>
> > So... one puts the uncooked cut-up sausage pieces over the rice after
> > the cooker has clicked off (to "warm")... is this right?

> Oh dear, let me explain again....
> easy & simple if you just want coooked rice & no fuss. I hope this helps.

That was very helpful. Thank you.

__
Jack
ggull

"DC." > wrote ...
> <snip>
> > The sausage in an omelette with green onion and oyster sauce on top
> > and rice underneath is one of my favorite quick meals. I also really
> > like the clay pot dish where lop cheong, chicken thighs, green onions
> > and shiitakes are steamed over rice. Can anyone supply the name of
> > this dish?

> Claypot Rice... aka YaoMeiFan. There are many variations to this & you

just
> make it up to how you like it. It's more a 'home
> cooking' style of dish & you'll find it along street stalls or at home

etc.
> Not really a 'high class' restaurant dish in Asia & West but some
> restaurants might offer it in a special menu etc.

A nice Chinese/Vietnamese (or /Thai?) restaurant across from Boston's
Huntington Theatre offers (or used to) 2 or 3 versions of the Claypot.
Might actually be the "Fragrant Oil Rice" you describe in your next post:
>Oops... made a mistake.... Claypot Rice is called SarPouFan (direct
>translation Sand Pot Rice) & that YaoMeiFan is translated into Oil

Flavoured
>Rice where in a fragrant oil sauce or gravy is sometimes poured in to
>flavour the rice

since it was on the liquid side, with a flavorful stock/broth. It came
pretty quickly (ideal for trying to make the show) so it was probably cooked
ahead of time, maybe had the broth/gravy/whatever added and reheated when
ordered. Quite yummy and made enough for two (with maybe an appetizer or
soup), an inexpensive and quick meal.

ggull

"DC." > wrote
> Cooking rice in a pot/medium saucepan+lid. Do as you would normally for

rice
> cooker, wash & rinse rice etc. Finally pour in water. You might want to
> double the amount of water to rice 2:1 etc. depending on the type of rice
> you use. Also cooking rice in a pot this way, you lose a lot of the water
> through boiling, hence the 2:1 water to rice ratio. This is slightly
> different from a rice cooker being that the lid is left off until the

water
> boils down & has evaporated & all you see is the soft grains bubbling

gently
> on top of the rice.

Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular rice
in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and the
classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties. But that is
covered from the time it comes to an initial boil. Otoh, it's the same 2:1
per the instructions on a bag of basmati rice prepared about as you suggest,
but that's after soaking the rice so it's probably picked up some extra h2o
that way. (Question sparked by discussion with a Chinese friend who had
never cooked rice except with a rice cooker [was amazed to find a primitive
American using a stovetop!], and thought the standard ratio was 1:1 though
she always just used the marks on the cooker.)

This is when you would put the lid on & also the time to
> add your sausages in (also season minced pork, veg, mushrooms, beaten egg
> etc. etc. if you're making other 1 pot rice+meat dishes.) After you've put
> in your sausages, cover with lid & simmer at the lowest possible flame for
> 10-15 minutes. depending on how much rice you're cooking. Leaving the lid

on
> for a few extra minutes after the 10-15mins. of simmering always helps to
> get the rice perfect.

I'll have to try this method for the one-pot meals, which I do like to do
being lazy about washing dishes :-). It sounds like it would be a bit
easier than trying to guess when to pop the lid to add the ingredients to be
steamed.

Dan Logcher

ggull wrote:

> "DC." > wrote
>
>>Cooking rice in a pot/medium saucepan+lid. Do as you would normally for
>>

> rice
>
>>cooker, wash & rinse rice etc. Finally pour in water. You might want to
>>double the amount of water to rice 2:1 etc. depending on the type of rice
>>you use. Also cooking rice in a pot this way, you lose a lot of the water
>>through boiling, hence the 2:1 water to rice ratio. This is slightly
>>different from a rice cooker being that the lid is left off until the
>>

> water
>
>>boils down & has evaporated & all you see is the soft grains bubbling
>>

> gently
>
>>on top of the rice.
>>

> Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular rice
> in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and the
> classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties. But that is
> covered from the time it comes to an initial boil. Otoh, it's the same 2:1
> per the instructions on a bag of basmati rice prepared about as you suggest,
> but that's after soaking the rice so it's probably picked up some extra h2o
> that way. (Question sparked by discussion with a Chinese friend who had
> never cooked rice except with a rice cooker [was amazed to find a primitive
> American using a stovetop!], and thought the standard ratio was 1:1 though
> she always just used the marks on the cooker.)

I don't use less. I follow the directions for the rice, in my case I do
2:1 ratio for Jasmine rice. Rice comes out perfect everytime.

--
Dan

danseur

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> ggull wrote:
>
> > "DC." > wrote
> >
> >>Cooking rice in a pot/medium saucepan+lid. Do as you would normally for
> >>

> > rice
> >
> >>cooker, wash & rinse rice etc. Finally pour in water. You might want to
> >>double the amount of water to rice 2:1 etc. depending on the type of rice
> >>you use. Also cooking rice in a pot this way, you lose a lot of the water
> >>through boiling, hence the 2:1 water to rice ratio. This is slightly
> >>different from a rice cooker being that the lid is left off until the
> >>

> > water
> >
> >>boils down & has evaporated & all you see is the soft grains bubbling
> >>

> > gently
> >
> >>on top of the rice.
> >>

> > Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular rice
> > in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and the
> > classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties. But that is
> > covered from the time it comes to an initial boil. Otoh, it's the same 2:1
> > per the instructions on a bag of basmati rice prepared about as you suggest,
> > but that's after soaking the rice so it's probably picked up some extra h2o
> > that way. (Question sparked by discussion with a Chinese friend who had
> > never cooked rice except with a rice cooker [was amazed to find a primitive
> > American using a stovetop!], and thought the standard ratio was 1:1 though
> > she always just used the marks on the cooker.)

> I don't use less. I follow the directions for the rice, in my case I do
> 2:1 ratio for Jasmine rice. Rice comes out perfect everytime.

i have found that 2:1 is optimal - but this varies depending on the
pot diameter/depth of the rice ratios; that is, if the pot is too wide
for the amount of rice, the rice tends to be drier when the layer of
rice on the bottom of the pot is less than a couple of inches.
similarly, when the depth of the rice is more than three inches, the
rice texture tends to be soggy if i use the 2:1 ratio of water. since
rice is cooked by adsorption, this makes sense to me.
Dan Logcher

danseur wrote:

> Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
>
>>I don't use less. I follow the directions for the rice, in my case I do
>>2:1 ratio for Jasmine rice. Rice comes out perfect everytime.
>>

> i have found that 2:1 is optimal - but this varies depending on the
> pot diameter/depth of the rice ratios; that is, if the pot is too wide
> for the amount of rice, the rice tends to be drier when the layer of
> rice on the bottom of the pot is less than a couple of inches.
> similarly, when the depth of the rice is more than three inches, the
> rice texture tends to be soggy if i use the 2:1 ratio of water. since
> rice is cooked by adsorption, this makes sense to me.

I use this method for both pot and cooker, I only use the rice cooker now.

--
Dan

DC.

<snip>
> Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular rice
> in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and

the
> classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties. But that is
> covered from the time it comes to an initial boil. Otoh, it's the same

2:1
> per the instructions on a bag of basmati rice prepared about as you

suggest,
> but that's after soaking the rice so it's probably picked up some extra

h2o
> that way.

Well.... this could be the start of a very long thread on how to cook rice
but to make things simple, all i can say is that there are many types of
rice & quality/age of rice. Some types of rice need more water to cook while
others less. And as you've said, some even do better with a pre-soak before
cooking. There's also rice that have slightly higher starch content & these
will be a little cloudy when you're washing the rice before cooking & also a
little more sticky once cooked etc. Also there is the age & quality of the
rice to consider, older rice that have been kept stocked piled by
wholesellers etc might find it's way back to retail again & these 'older'
rice will probably take a little longer to cook or needs a little more water
as they are harder & drier. Try pinching a grain of rice to see how tough it
is & if you ever get a chance to buy premium 'new' rice, you can pinch it &
smell it to see the difference between old & new. You will then know the
difference + the varieties of rice available to you. The best advice i can
give is ask the shop/retailer you get your rice from. They'll be able to
tell you how best to cook it. You'll often find that in Chinese
supermarkets, they buy sacks of rice & they open the sack & sell the rice by
weight or they might repackage it into 5kg, 10kg packs with their own brand.

(Question sparked by discussion with a Chinese friend who had
> never cooked rice except with a rice cooker [was amazed to find a

primitive
> American using a stovetop!], and thought the standard ratio was 1:1 though
> she always just used the marks on the cooker.)

Yes i've met quite a few Chinese people who only know how to cook rice with
a rice cooker. It's a shame because there are many very tasty rice + meat
home recipes now lost to those who only know how to cook rice with a rice
cooker.

> > This is when you would put the lid on & also the time to
> > add your sausages in (also season minced pork, veg, mushrooms, beaten
> >egg
> > etc. etc. if you're making other 1 pot rice+meat dishes.) After you've

put
> > in your sausages, cover with lid & simmer at the lowest possible flame

for
> > 10-15 minutes. depending on how much rice you're cooking. Leaving the

lid
> on
> > for a few extra minutes after the 10-15mins. of simmering always helps

> > get the rice perfect.

> I'll have to try this method for the one-pot meals, which I do like to do
> being lazy about washing dishes :-). It sounds like it would be a bit
> easier than trying to guess when to pop the lid to add the ingredients to

be
> steamed.

Here's a tip for an easy 1 pot rice meal. I usually fry the meat/ingredients
or spices, garlic etc. in the pot before adding the rice, this way the rice
is well covered in yummy flavours before boiling. sometimes it also helps
with frying the rice a little before adding water to boil. There is no
correct or wrong way to cook & you'll probably have fun inventing many 1 pot
rice+meat dishes as i have over many years. Think Spanish Paella, Jambalaya
etc. It's all the same thing. I've been known to start of with a Chinese 1
pot rice dish & end up something totally different! depending on what i'v
got in the fridge.

Have fun & good luck.

DC.

DC.

> I don't use less. I follow the directions for the rice, in my case I do
> 2:1 ratio for Jasmine rice. Rice comes out perfect everytime.
>
> --
> Dan

Sounds good to me if you're cooking in a pot & even if you do have too much
water, you'll be boiling off the excess water & softening/cooking the rice a
little more before you put the lid on. Once the lid comes down & you start
to slow simmer, this will basically finish off cooking the rice & get it
perfect anyway.

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> A nice Chinese/Vietnamese (or /Thai?) restaurant across from Boston's
> Huntington Theatre offers (or used to) 2 or 3 versions of the Claypot.
> Might actually be the "Fragrant Oil Rice" you describe in your next post:
> >Oops... made a mistake.... Claypot Rice is called SarPouFan (direct
> >translation Sand Pot Rice) & that YaoMeiFan is translated into Oil

> Flavoured
> >Rice where in a fragrant oil sauce or gravy is sometimes poured in to
> >flavour the rice

> since it was on the liquid side, with a flavorful stock/broth. It came
> pretty quickly (ideal for trying to make the show) so it was probably

cooked
> ahead of time, maybe had the broth/gravy/whatever added and reheated when
> ordered. Quite yummy and made enough for two (with maybe an appetizer or
> soup), an inexpensive and quick meal.

Yes these are very tasty meals & very economical too, often using up
leftovers that already are full of flavour. and by cooking rice with it, it
only enriches the flavour of the rice. Like i say in my other reply to you.
These 'home style' recipes are not popular or even lost because many people
are using rice cookers. It's also out of fashion & when you find a
restaurant that does this, it's probably because they have a couple of
Chinese old timers still coming in for it.

There is another old 'home style' rice pot dish called 'Fan Chew Jook'.
Translated it reads... Rice Crispies Porridge/Congee. This is done by using
slightly burnt rice found at the bottom of the rice pot the day after. Oil &
seasoning is added to the crusty rice in the rice pot & fried & the rice
crispies broken up, later rich stock is added & a kind of Chinese rissotto
is the end result. Adding meat & veg. along the way to make it tasty. Later
day recipes makes use of cooked rice pressed & fried on the bottom of a
pan/pot because you just don't find rice crispies anymore if you're cooking
rice in a non-stick pan/pot. Leftovers are again used or maybe roast duck,
charsiew/bbq pork etc. but some of the best & expensive dried ingredients
are also used like Asian dried shrmips, dried scallops etc. because just
like sun dried tomatoes or mushrooms/truffles in European cooking etc. once
rehydrated & cooked in, they release flavours that make the dish
unforgetable, just like mother's home cooked meals. Hence Chinese sausages,
Chinese dried mushrooms etc. all play an important part in rice meals like
these.

I hope this gives you some idea in your future adventures in all things rice
n nice.

DC

slim

ggull wrote:

> "DC." > wrote ...
> > <snip>
> > > The sausage in an omelette with green onion and oyster sauce on top
> > > and rice underneath is one of my favorite quick meals. I also really
> > > like the clay pot dish where lop cheong, chicken thighs, green onions
> > > and shiitakes are steamed over rice. Can anyone supply the name of
> > > this dish?

The Cantonese is roughly.....

Jing Dong Goo Laap Churn Gai Faan

Jing (Steamed)
Dong Goo (mushroom)
Laap Churn (sausage)
Gai (Chicken)
Faan (Rice)

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a blowjob, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim

VOTE HIM OUT! November 4, 2004
slim

ggull wrote:

> Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular rice
> in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and the
> classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties.

The "classic" ratio is dead wrong!

It depends on the type of rice you use, and your preference.

Dry and crumbly to moist and sticky, everyone likes their rice different

I use Vitarroz for everyday. 2 cups rice and 2 1/3 cups water.

EXPERIMENT and WRITE DOWN your results.

Its YOUR preferences that matter, not some recipe writer.

Buy small quantites and PLAY! HAVE FUN! EXPLORE!

Enjoy the experience, the highs and lows that are the spice of
life that cooking provides.

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a blowjob, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms
George "The AWOL President" Bush: http://www.awolbush.com/
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

VOTE HIM OUT! November 4, 2004
slim

danseur wrote:

> > I don't use less. I follow the directions for the rice, in my case I do
> > 2:1 ratio for Jasmine rice. Rice comes out perfect everytime.

> i have found that 2:1 is optimal - but this varies depending on the
> pot diameter/depth of the rice ratios; that is, if the pot is too wide
> for the amount of rice, the rice tends to be drier when the layer of
> rice on the bottom of the pot is less than a couple of inches.
> similarly, when the depth of the rice is more than three inches, the
> rice texture tends to be soggy if i use the 2:1 ratio of water. since
> rice is cooked by adsorption, this makes sense to me.

Experimentation is the key.

The failures (usually) make for good fried rice the next day.

The outright disasters can make you popular with the local
bird population! ;-)

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a blowjob, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms
George "The AWOL President" Bush: http://www.awolbush.com/
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

VOTE HIM OUT! November 4, 2004
slim

Dan Logcher wrote:

> .....I only use the rice cooker now.

Only way to go.

Execept for risotto! ;-)

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a blowjob, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms
George "The AWOL President" Bush: http://www.awolbush.com/
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

VOTE HIM OUT! November 4, 2004
Dan Logcher

slim wrote:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
>

>>.....I only use the rice cooker now.
>>

> Only way to go.

I love my Zojirushi 10 cup.. Can't imagine cooking rice
any other way. Easy to make, easy to clean, easy to store.

> Execept for risotto! ;-)

Never made risotto.

--
Dan

ggull

"slim" > wrote
> ggull wrote:
> > Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular

rice
> > in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker, and

the
> > classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties.

> The "classic" ratio is dead wrong!
> It depends on the type of rice you use, and your preference.
> Dry and crumbly to moist and sticky, everyone likes their rice different
> I use Vitarroz for everyday. 2 cups rice and 2 1/3 cups water.
> EXPERIMENT and WRITE DOWN your results.
> Its YOUR preferences that matter, not some recipe writer.
>
> Buy small quantites and PLAY! HAVE FUN! EXPLORE!

I couldn't agree more. Whenever someone claims to have the one true proper
and correct recipe or way to cook something, my mind tunes out. Any recipe
is an inspiration, not a prescription. As someone else pointed out, even
the same rice changes with age and may require a bit more water to get
similar results (but never the same). There are so many ways to cook rices,
depending on variety and the desired result, and they're all good :-).

I've currently got a mess of different kinds of rice that I enjoy:
-- parboiled rice from a Brazilian store
-- Thai jasmine
-- Indian basmati
-- Thai red jasmine rice, and similar 'cargo' rice
-- 'new crop' Tamaki gold from Calif
-- Kagayaki brown from Calif
-- french camargue in japanese packaging (waiting to open this brick until I
reduce some other inventory)

my favorites are the Kagayaki (quick cooking for a brown) and the red rice
(wonderfully chewy). For chopstick rice, the jasmine.

Peter Dy

"ggull" > wrote in message
> "slim" > wrote
> > ggull wrote:
> > > Hmm... Does one use less water, even a 1:1 ratio, for cooking regular

> rice
> > > in a cooker? I've always used a pot, don't even own a rice cooker,

and
> the
> > > classic ratio is 2:1 for basic white rice of most varieties.

> > The "classic" ratio is dead wrong!
> > It depends on the type of rice you use, and your preference.
> > Dry and crumbly to moist and sticky, everyone likes their rice different
> > I use Vitarroz for everyday. 2 cups rice and 2 1/3 cups water.
> > EXPERIMENT and WRITE DOWN your results.
> > Its YOUR preferences that matter, not some recipe writer.
> >
> > Buy small quantites and PLAY! HAVE FUN! EXPLORE!

> I couldn't agree more. Whenever someone claims to have the one true

proper
> and correct recipe or way to cook something, my mind tunes out. Any

recipe
> is an inspiration, not a prescription. As someone else pointed out, even
> the same rice changes with age and may require a bit more water to get
> similar results (but never the same). There are so many ways to cook

rices,
> depending on variety and the desired result, and they're all good :-).

Ok. But "all good"? I think it has more to do with personal preference --
I like my rice on the firm side, so with a fresh bag of Thai new crop
jasmine rice, I prefer a 1:1 ratio. Those recipes that call for mushier
rice, well, as my friend in Leningrad used to say, "Mushy rice, no good!"

> I've currently got a mess of different kinds of rice that I enjoy:
> -- parboiled rice from a Brazilian store
> -- Thai jasmine
> -- Indian basmati
> -- Thai red jasmine rice, and similar 'cargo' rice
> -- 'new crop' Tamaki gold from Calif
> -- Kagayaki brown from Calif
> -- french camargue in japanese packaging (waiting to open this brick until

> reduce some other inventory)
>
> my favorites are the Kagayaki (quick cooking for a brown) and the red rice
> (wonderfully chewy). For chopstick rice, the jasmine.

Woah! Camarada, where do you live? What's "Thai red jasmine rice"? And
I've seen Indian/Pakistani parboiled rice, but never Brazilian.
Interesting.

Peter

DC.

<snip>
> Woah! Camarada, where do you live?

I thought these were sold in most countries, a bit hard to find at times but
it isn't that rare. I expect a French deli or grocery shop would sell that.
French camargue rice is short & plump & is very similar to paella or risotto
rice or even Japanese short grain. I wonder what kind of price mark up the
Japanese put on it. A couple of hundred miles south along the camargue coast
& you be in Spain & i think the first bit of rice growing you'll find will
be in the Ebro delta. I can't remember where but you'll also find rice
growing in Italy which brings me to ask... do you grow short grain plump
rice in America? you've already got long grain & i'm sure it's possible to
find a coastal stretch somewhere suitable for short grain. Over here in
Europe, we only have 1 season a year for rice growing unlike in Asia or
anywhere warmer/tropical where you get 2 yields a year.

> What's "Thai red jasmine rice"?

I suspect it's cargo rice or what we Asians call wild rice. We use to buy
these in 'native' markets or along roadside stalls out in the country. This
seems to be the case from Thailand all the way down to Indonesia & i suspect
Philippines as well Peter. It's a bit tougher & takes a little more water &
time to cook but high in fibre. We use to cook 1/2 long grain + 1/2 red rice
when we were into healthy cooking, but that only made us more hungry! LOL.

DC.

Peter Dy

&
> time to cook but high in fibre. We use to cook 1/2 long grain + 1/2 red

rice
> when we were into healthy cooking, but that only made us more hungry! LOL.

Thanks, DC. I had no idea that "wild rice" also goes by the name "cargo
rice." Is that a British thing? And..well, what does "wild rice" mean
exactly? That the bran is still on it?

Oh, and I'm Asian too! Why do you say "we Asians call it"?

Peter

DC.

<snip>
> Thanks, DC. I had no idea that "wild rice" also goes by the name "cargo
> rice." Is that a British thing?

I'm not sure why it's called cargo rice or if the term is of British
origins. I've only seen it packed & sold as cargo rice in the West(UK, US
etc.)

> And..well, what does "wild rice" mean
> exactly? That the bran is still on it?

It's just a common name given by most SE Asians(Malays, Chinese, Indonesians
etc) i know who refer to it as 'wild rice' as this is what's found growing
wild in uncultivated areas or in forests/jungles. It's what the Ibans &
Dayaks (natives of Borneo, of which these are only 2 tribes that i know of,
there's more) who eat them on a regular basis. During WW2, a lot of people
who went into hiding in forests/jungles or even people in villages & towns
ate 'wild rice' as long grain white rice & food was hard to find. As for the
bran question, i'm not really sure about that, because after
cooking/boiling, one would expect the bran or husk to come off but the 'wild
rice' that i've eaten were still red & a little firmer compared to normal
rice. The water is also tainted slightly red & if you're cooking this with
normal white rice, the rest of white rice comes out in a dark pinkish/red
colour. That's how we use to cook & eat it, mixed in with white rice.
There's also black rice & black glutinous rice & these are w/o husks as
well. The black glutinous rice(pulot hitam in Malay) is commonly used for
desserts in Malaysia & Indonesia. The Chinese use it as well but not as much
or common as the Malays. I think the Chinese only make some desserts with it
& tend to use black glut. rice mainly in it's fermentation stage where it is
used to make black glut. rice wine. Again this is not very popular these
days & is a dying art.

> Oh, and I'm Asian too! Why do you say "we Asians call it"?

I know Peter, i've read many of your previous post & figured that your
family might be from the Philippines. Anyway... maybe i should rephrase that
& say most SE Asians(Malays, Chinese, Indonesians etc) i know call it 'wild
rice'. Does that make it better? With all the political correctness in the
US, I can never tell when i'm steppin' on someones toes. Is it politically
incorrect to use the term Asians now in the US?

DC... the politically incorrect.

ps. don't ask me what DC stands for, some American Chinese found it
offensive.