Default chinese chicken fried rice

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:17:15 GMT, Dan Logcher
>Do they make steel flat bottom woks for glass top ranges?

Not where I come from. Do you really need a glass top? The best way to
fry rice is not to cover the wok as you need to stir it constantly.

SIAOGU

The husband is the head of the house. The wife is the neck. And the neck turns the head.
Peter Dy

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:17:15 GMT, Dan Logcher
> >Do they make steel flat bottom woks for glass top ranges?

> Not where I come from. Do you really need a glass top? The best way to
> fry rice is not to cover the wok as you need to stir it constantly.

His stove has a sheet of glass on top of it; the heating element is below
the glass.

See this photo:

http://www.famousfamily.com/jm/home/...NewHouse74.jpg

Peter

Peter Dy

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:16:18 GMT, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
> >And then you use it freshly made? I always cook normal 2:1 ratio
> >of water/rice a day in advance so it dries out some. I'll try 1:1
> >next time.

> your supermarket brand long grain rice, freshly cooked 1:1 makes fine
> fried rice.

I never got Dan's post... Anyway, yeah, give 1:1 a try. Of course, it will
depend on how fresh the bag of rice, how long it's been sitting in the
pantry after opening, etc. Rona's 1 : 1 1/4 might be better for older rice.

Peter

Peter Dy

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >
> > I had thought Peter's suggestion was gear towards making the sizzling
> > rice bicuits. But now I understand what he meant.
> >
> > BTW, how does one make the sizzling rice? With freshly made rice?
> >

> If sizzling rice is what I'm thinking it is, I think it's best to use the
> rice that gets stuck to the pot (hmm, I guess that's why the English
> translation is "potcrust" :-)). However, my friend will make it for me
> using old rice that has hardened a bit. If you don't cover your cooked
> rice, it will develop a hard surface--you can spread rice out on a cookie
> sheet if you want to make a lot. Then once it has hardened, just fry it.
> It's pretty easy. The hardest part is making sure the rice is hard

enough,
> yet it should not be completely dessicated (I think). If there is too

much
> moisture still in the rice, it gets a bit soggy but if the rice is too

dry,
> the potcrust is too hard.

Ken Hom has a recipe for making such a "rice cake", as he calls it.
Basically cooking rice in a pot with the sole purpose of making a crust.
I'm too tired to type it out now, but if anyone is interested, I could type
it up later.

Of course, one can by little squares of dried rice made specially for this
purpose.

Peter

blake murphy

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:54:21 GMT, "Peter Dy" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:16:18 GMT, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >And then you use it freshly made? I always cook normal 2:1 ratio
>> >of water/rice a day in advance so it dries out some. I'll try 1:1
>> >next time.

>> your supermarket brand long grain rice, freshly cooked 1:1 makes fine
>> fried rice.

>I never got Dan's post... Anyway, yeah, give 1:1 a try. Of course, it will
>depend on how fresh the bag of rice, how long it's been sitting in the
>pantry after opening, etc. Rona's 1 : 1 1/4 might be better for older rice.
>
>Peter

i don't know, except i've never used 1:2, which many folks recommend.

your pal,
blake
Tippi

Dan Logcher > wrote

> Does this make the rice biscuits used in Sizzling Rice Soup?

Modern "gwo ba" is usually deep fried. The original version was just
the layer of burnt rice at the bottom of the pot.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:40:52 GMT, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>I only have electric appliances, no gas. And the glass top range
>in very nice. I don't think I'll be switching that to the electric
>burner type just for wok cooking.

Hmm.....never tried using a wok on an electric burner. Maybe someone
else might be able to help you there.

SIAOGU

The husband is the head of the house. The wife is the neck. And the neck turns the head.
Tippi

blake murphy > wrote
> >Modern "gwo ba" is usually deep fried. The original version was just
> >the layer of burnt rice at the bottom of the pot.

> no, i think the version has always been the deep-fried remnants of the
> bottom of the rice-pot.

As the dish that you pour ingredients over the crisp rice so it
crackles, yes that's been always been deep fried. But the origin of
the term comes from the peasant food which means the burnt rice at the
bottom. The poor does not have oil for deep frying! I remember reading
somwhere, one of the rare treats for poor families was to add a few
drops of oil to a thin broth.

Posted to alt.food.asian

Dan,
The last time I bought a Wok it had a steel ring that sat flat on the
cooking surface. The Wok sits on the ring and away you go.

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:48:11 GMT, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Lorena wrote:
>
>> Hey, wait a minute! I think I might have just realized what's "missing" in
>> your fried rice.....do you have a traditional carbon steel wok? Using that
>> kind of wok is mandatory to getting that special fried rice taste....there
>> is no substitute. The wok imparts a special wok chi flavor to the food.
>>
>> So tell us.....do you use a traditional carbon steel wok? Maybe this is
>> it....

>I don't, because I'm cooking on an electric glass top range.
>I have a tephlon coated flat bottom wok. I wish I had gas!
>(range).

Member

right, adding oil is to make rice soft and looking good.