kalanamak

Default aji mirin question

(note crosspost)

When I went hunting for aji mirin for my carrot dressing (recipe at
bottom), the one with the least additives wasn't labeled mirin at all
but "gourmet cooking sauce", with alot of Japanese lettering (the label
is white and yellow and red) "produced and botteled by Takara Sake USA
inc" and the ingredients a natural fermented rice extract, glucose,
water, acid, alcohol less than 0.9%.
Heck, I don't even know if it is mirin, but it is clear with slight
yellow tinge, sweet, and viscous. It is perfect in the dressing.

What would the average Japanese use this "gourmet cooking sauce" for?
TIA
blacksalt

Japanese carrot Dressing (from Moosewood Cooks at Home)
1/2 C shredded carrot
2 T mirin
2 Trice vinegar
1 Tablespoon usukuchi-style soy sauce
1 T. grated ginger
1/2 teas. dark sesame oil
Puree' in blender

Peter Aitken

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> (note crosspost)
>
> When I went hunting for aji mirin for my carrot dressing (recipe at
> bottom), the one with the least additives wasn't labeled mirin at all
> but "gourmet cooking sauce", with alot of Japanese lettering (the label
> is white and yellow and red) "produced and botteled by Takara Sake USA
> inc" and the ingredients a natural fermented rice extract, glucose,
> water, acid, alcohol less than 0.9%.
> Heck, I don't even know if it is mirin, but it is clear with slight
> yellow tinge, sweet, and viscous. It is perfect in the dressing.
>
> What would the average Japanese use this "gourmet cooking sauce" for?
> TIA
> blacksalt

It's used in some sauces such as teriyaki. ALso used as a marinade/glaze for
grilled foods.

--
Peter Aitken

Musashi

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> (note crosspost)
>
> When I went hunting for aji mirin for my carrot dressing (recipe at
> bottom), the one with the least additives wasn't labeled mirin at all
> but "gourmet cooking sauce", with alot of Japanese lettering (the label
> is white and yellow and red) "produced and botteled by Takara Sake USA
> inc" and the ingredients a natural fermented rice extract, glucose,
> water, acid, alcohol less than 0.9%.
> Heck, I don't even know if it is mirin, but it is clear with slight
> yellow tinge, sweet, and viscous. It is perfect in the dressing.
>
> What would the average Japanese use this "gourmet cooking sauce" for?
> TIA
> blacksalt

It sounds like mirin that you bought.
Mirin, along with shouyu (soy sauce) and Sake is a staple in Japanese
cooking
with very wide applications from basic teriyaki to Ikura no shouyu-zuke (soy
sauce seasoned
salomon roe). You will find a bottle in every Japanese kitchen.

Trinker

(r.f.c. trimmed from headers)

Musashi wrote:

> Mirin, along with shouyu (soy sauce) and Sake is a staple in Japanese
> cooking
> with very wide applications from basic teriyaki to Ikura no shouyu-zuke (soy
> sauce seasoned
> salomon roe). You will find a bottle in every Japanese kitchen.

Except for mine, because for some odd reason my mother never had any on
hand, so I never got in the habit myself.

Musashi

"Trinker" > wrote in message
> (r.f.c. trimmed from headers)
>
> Musashi wrote:
>
> > Mirin, along with shouyu (soy sauce) and Sake is a staple in Japanese
> > cooking
> > with very wide applications from basic teriyaki to Ikura no shouyu-zuke

(soy
> > sauce seasoned
> > salomon roe). You will find a bottle in every Japanese kitchen.

> Except for mine, because for some odd reason my mother never had any on
> hand, so I never got in the habit myself.

That is a unique situation. I guess one could work with sugar.
Was Mirin simply not available? How about Sake?

Gordon 101

kalanamak wrote:

> What would the average Japanese use this "gourmet cooking sauce" for?
> TIA
> blacksalt

Here is a favourite. When grilled and served at the table the smell
alone makes this simple dish an elegant surprise.

Tofu Dengaku

Slice tofu aprox 2 inches by 1 inch and 3/4 inch thick. (dropping brick
of tofu in hot water for a few minutes helps keep firm)
Skewer length wise with two round or one flat skewer. (two prong skewers
are available)
Drain on a towel for 15 min or until firm.
Coat each side with Nerimiso and grill over charcoal or gas grill until
speckled on each side.

White Nerimiso (sweet simmered miso)

1 cup white miso
3 tablespoons mirin
1 1/2 tablespoon sake
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons ground roasted sesame seeds.

place all ingredients in skillet and simmer two to three minutes over
low heat stirring constantly. Allow to cool. Can be kept refrigerated
for weeks.

Eggplant or other vegetables may be treated the same. Root vegetables
benefit from par boiling first.
Hatcho miso works very well but double mirin and sake for thicker
salty misos. Hatcho has a very nice chocolate flavour when grilled.
Also substituting nut butters for the sesame seeds. (try cashew
butter) Herbs or spices are common as well.

Gordon
blake murphy

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:17:45 -0800, Trinker >
wrote:

>(r.f.c. trimmed from headers)
>
>Musashi wrote:
>
>> Mirin, along with shouyu (soy sauce) and Sake is a staple in Japanese
>> cooking
>> with very wide applications from basic teriyaki to Ikura no shouyu-zuke (soy
>> sauce seasoned
>> salomon roe). You will find a bottle in every Japanese kitchen.

>Except for mine, because for some odd reason my mother never had any on
>hand, so I never got in the habit myself.

mirin's a good thing to have around, for marinades, glazes and the
like. it's not expensive.

your pal,
blake
kalanamak

Gordon 101 wrote:

> kalanamak wrote:
> >

> > What would the average Japanese use this "gourmet cooking sauce" for?
> > TIA
> > blacksalt
> >

> Here is a favourite. When grilled and served at the table the smell
> alone makes this simple dish an elegant surprise.
>
> Tofu Dengaku

This looks great! Thanks.
blacksalt

Mirin question biig General Cooking 20 23-03-2010 08:44 PM
"Naturally" sweetened Mirin Dee Randall Asian Cooking 4 08-01-2007 12:37 PM
Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Wine 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Substitute for Mirin Kswck General Cooking 8 24-05-2005 12:52 AM
aji mirin question kalanamak General Cooking 3 26-11-2003 10:16 AM