Frogleg

Default cooking oil?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:02:58 -0800, "Heather Fair"
> wrote:

>I recently came across a recipe for Kluai Khaek (Thai fried bananes) and I'm
>anxious to try it. However, it calls for 3 c. cooking oil. What *kind* of
>oil? I presume it would do to have a heavily flavored oil such as peanut,
>and I'm not sure how hot the oil needs to get so IDK if a simple corn oil
>would work or not (I'm thinking not). Any ideas?

How many bananas? 3 cups (24 oz -- most of a typical 28-32oz bottle)
of oil is a considerable amount. I can't imagine re-using oil to cook
fish or potatoes that had been used to fry bananas. Or vice versa, for
the most part. So many Asian dishes call for generous amounts of oil
to deep-fry. Many veg oils aren't terrifically expensive, but at
US$1.89/32oz a not insignificant cost to the preparation of a dish.
What *is* the usual practice in Asian kitchens with regard to cooking
oil?

For Heather, I would assume (with no expert knowledge) that the
bananas can be fried in any neutral-flavored veg oil. It's the frying,
not the oil, that is important. I don't find peanut oil (which I use
for high-temperature stir-fry) has any particularly distinctive
flavor. I *do* claim to be able to detect an identifiable taste in
things that are prepared with coconut oil. but that may very well be
my imagination.

Cape Cod Bob

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:12:27 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:02:58 -0800, "Heather Fair"
> wrote:
>>I recently came across a recipe for Kluai Khaek (Thai fried bananes) and I'm
>>anxious to try it. However, it calls for 3 c. cooking oil. What *kind* of
>>oil? ... I presume it would do to have a heavily flavored oil such as peanut,
>>and I'm not sure how hot the oil needs to get so IDK if a simple corn oil
>>would work or not (I'm thinking not). Any ideas?

>...For Heather, I would assume (with no expert knowledge) that the
>bananas can be fried in any neutral-flavored veg oil. It's the frying,
>not the oil, that is important. I don't find peanut oil (which I use
>for high-temperature stir-fry) has any particularly distinctive
>flavor. I *do* claim to be able to detect an identifiable taste in
>things that are prepared with coconut oil. but that may very well be
>my imagination.

At last a vote for sanity. I would question anyone who claims to
detect whether a deep fried food is cooked in any of the most common
frying oils - corn, safflower, peanut or the ubiquitous "vegetable
oil." I have never found a good grade of peanut oil to leave any
trace of "peanut" flavor. Cheaper oils are less refined/clarified and
can have small amounts of sediment which would/could add some
"flavor."

As for temperature, deep frying ranges from 325 to 375. The lower
part of the range for "denser/wetter" ingredients and the higher for
those that need minimal cooking. If you fry at 350, you'll usually do
ok except for the extremes of food ingredients - let's say fritters vs
onion rings.

I do hope people new to food preparation will try to be less dependent
on formal "recipes" and precise measuring. (Baked goods - cakes,
breads - do require measuring.) Read recipes for the ingredients,
order and method of cooking, and ratios of ingredients. Then go to it
and adjust to suit your tastes. In fact, buy books with fewer recipes
and more text. Cooking will become a MUCH less onerous task and one
will learn how food preparation works.

As for the recipe for Kluai Khaek (Thai fried bananes) the type of
bananas would make much more difference than the type of oil.
Should they be firm green or soft somewhat brown or the small very
sweet finger bananas or the larger less highly flavored plantain-like
ones?

Peter Dy

"Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message
[...]
> At last a vote for sanity. I would question anyone who claims to
> detect whether a deep fried food is cooked in any of the most common
> frying oils - corn, safflower, peanut or the ubiquitous "vegetable
> oil." I have never found a good grade of peanut oil to leave any
> trace of "peanut" flavor.

Try Hong Kong brands like Lion & Globe, Knife, or Panther. Nice peanut-y
taste.

Peter

[...]

DC.

1. There are many types of bananas from all over & it depends on what you
can get your hands on but using 'sweet' bananas always helps. By this i mean
a variety that has a firm flesh & sweet taste when ripe, not when it's
over-ripe because although it's sweet the flesh is too soft/over-ripe & it
won't deep fry very well. In SE Asia the 2 most commonly used bananas for
deep frying are called Raja & Awak bananas. Raja's are long & slim with a
pale yellow colour when ripe, Awak's are short & plump & also turns pale
yellow when ripe. Both of these have very little brown spots or blemishes
when ripe & sweet unlike some others that need to be over-ripe to taste
sweet.

2. There's 2 things you need to consider when using oil, one is getting the
right cooking temp. & the other is taste. if you're not too bothered, go for
a good or average veg. oil. Good quality peanut oil like Knife brand can be
very expensive so you might want to mix the 2 oils together. As for taste if
you like it very peanuty, then go for an expensive peanut oil etc. but i
think using the right banana should give you a good enough flavour & taste.
Peanut oil has one added benefit in that it heats up faster & doesn't taste
& smell 'burnt' like some other oils can. As for Cape Cod Bob's comments on
finding a good enough tasting peanut oil or an oil that leaves a distinct
taste, it might be something to do with the oils that most of us use here in
the 'West'. It's highly likely that whatever cooking oils we use are a
combination of 'oils' which are made & produced by bulk for supermarkets &
meant for today's modern Western kitchen & cuisine... ie. rather tasteless
cooking oils that leaves the flavours to come from the food itself. In other
parts of the world, people still use heavily scented or pure oils not just
to cook with but to impart flavour as well. Some may well point out that
it's very unhealthy but where flavours & taste counts... there's no
substitute i'm afraid. Curry w/o Ghee is not the same, Old Chinese dishes
w/o lard is not the same, Pastries w/o butter is not the same etc..

3. The age old technique of re-using cooking oil seems to have been
forgotten with cooking oils becoming cheaper these days. But if you're
worried about wasting oil here's what you can do to save money & your
environment if you're that way inclined. First strain the oil to remove any
bits. You might need to use another clean wok if your wok or deep fryer is
heavily scented by deep frying bananas. Slowly warm up the oil again & add a
few slices of ginger & a spring onion but not to boiling point or deep
frying, just warm enough to simmer & do this for a few minutes. This should
remove any strong flavours from the oil & 'neutralize' it. If you're using
good qaulity Peanut oil, you don't really need to do this too often. Let the
oil cool down & keep/store with a lid. Asian/Chinese kitchens often have
large metal containers with a lids to store cooked or re-used oils. This is
often placed near or next to the deep frying/blanching wok. On the main
shelf, there's often other types of oils/flavouring oils that's used for
cooking.

DC.