FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   Recipe for Sponge Cake (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/20832-recipe-sponge-cake.html)

BMC 17-10-2003 07:35 PM

Recipe for Sponge Cake

I've noticed that the cakes sold in Asian bakeries always have the lightest
sponge cake I've ever tasted. Does anybody have a recipe for it?

Thanks,

Steve 05-12-2003 05:34 PM

Recipe for Sponge Cake

You think a Chinaman will tell you the secret.........

Roy Basan 08-12-2003 02:11 AM

Recipe for Sponge Cake

> > I've noticed that the cakes sold in Asian bakeries always have the lightest
> > sponge cake I've ever tasted. Does anybody have a recipe for it?
> >
> > Thanks,

Sponge cakes regardless of its variations is made from basic recipe
made of eggs flour and sugar.
But one thing I noticed about chinese bakers making their version is
to use a modification of the chiffon style recipe. The difference is
the recipe has higher level of egg whites, lower sugar and egg yolks
and lower quantity of salad oil. The cake do rise well.
The question remains is do you know how to make a sponge of chiffon
cake properly? If its affirmative;
Try tweaking out the conventional recipe for chiffon cake applying
the principles I stated. If you find the batter made from flour,
sugar, baking powder, but with reduced oil ,yolk and normal water
level, to be more thick add more water to obtain the desired
consistency.
If you want to try for comparison ;do classical sponge cake try to
make the ratio of 2:1:1 of eggs,flour, and sugar.
Roy