Peter Dy

Default Vietnamese table etiquette

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 07:41:54 GMT, "Peter Dy" >
> wrote:

[...]
> So the moral of the story is that both the fresh and fried version of
> spring rolls are called Spring Rolls, though I think the term "spring
> rolls" should imply fresh vegetable ingredients wrapped in rice paper,
> rather than the fried pork/shrimp/cloudear types, and the others
> should be called something else - like imperial rolls - if we';re
> trying to standardize the terms ;-)

I can't agree. Everyone knows spring rolls are Chinese. It's a direct
translation from the Chinese name. The Vietnamese don't call any of their
rolls "spring rolls". I never even ate Vietnamese food until I was maybe
20. Most all Americans have eaten Chinese; a much smaller percentage have
eaten Vietnamese. I think we should call those upstart Vietnamese rolls
"salad rolls".

But, from now on, we know know what you are referring to when you speak of
spring rolls.

Peter

Frogleg

Default ot: Vietnamese table etiquette

>"Victor Sack" > wrote:

>> Recently, we ate at a Vietnamese restaurant, possibly the only truly
>> authentic one in Germany. Among other things, we had whole curried frog
>> legs, as well as whole, unpeeled giant prawns, some deep-fried, some
>> grilled. Only chopsticks were provided. Whole large frog legs are as
>> impossible to eat with chopsticks as whole chicken legs. Besides,
>> covered with thick curry sauce, they were rather messy, of course.
>> Giant prawns needed to be peeled, but were very hot indeed. We ate them
>> all using our fingers regardless. Was this correct? The restaurant was
>> full of Vietnamese who didn't appear to be surprised, but maybe they
>> were just polite or used to farangs' uncouth behaviour...

Did you see anyone else eating these items? Chopsticks? Fork? Spoon?
Fingers? Did you notice the implements they were using, other than
chopsticks? I use chopsticks at home for many Asian foods, but they're
certainly not appropriate for everything. Was very embarrassed to ask
for chopsticks ("I'm being wordly") in a Thai restaurant only to learn
that Thais mostly use forks, spoons, and fingers. Shoot -- you're
paying for dinner. As long as you don't just tip up the plate and pour
it down, you're probably OK. To quote Melville, "to do anything coolly
is to do it genteely" in reference to Queequeg spearing a chop with
his harpoon.
Victor Sack

Frogleg > wrote:

No need to add "OT" to the subject header - the thread is as on-topic as
any of 'em...

> >"Victor Sack" > wrote:

> >> Recently, we ate at a Vietnamese restaurant, possibly the only truly
> >> authentic one in Germany. Among other things, we had whole curried frog
> >> legs, as well as whole, unpeeled giant prawns, some deep-fried, some
> >> grilled. Only chopsticks were provided.

> Did you see anyone else eating these items? Chopsticks? Fork? Spoon?
> Fingers?

I have since been at the restaurant again and asked. Posted about it,
too...
See Message-ID: >.

Victor
kalanamak

> How are those message addresses used, Victor? I cut and pasted into
> the 'address' window in IE (no go), and then into Google groups
> (search all groups for...) and still got "Your search -
> - did not match any
> documents. "

Cut and paste it under the appropriate line in advanced search under google's
groups.
blacksalt

Victor Sack

Frogleg > wrote:

>(Victor Sack) wrote:

> >See Message-ID: >.

> How are those message addresses used, Victor?

Use Google groups advanced search at
<http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search> and paste the Msg-Id
into the appropriate box.

Good offline newsreaders like the one I use (MacSOUP) will show you the
message if you just click on the Msg-Id, if the message is still in the
newsreader database. If it has already been purged, it ought to be
possible to make the newsreader invoke a browser which will look it up
on Google groups (this, of course, is possible with on-line newsreaders,
too). I use a script to do that, which is very convenient. I don't
know if there are any Windows newsreaders able to do that.

Victor
Lawrence

Frogleg wrote:

> ....in a Thai restaurant only to learn
> that Thais mostly use forks, spoons, and fingers....

Yes, but the fork is generally only used to push the food onto the spoon...And
a fork is never used to cut anything, as is common in the West. Such is the
reason why forks and spoons in Thailand are normally made of the thinnest
aluminum...Trying to use the side of a Thai fork to cut something would most
likely result in a request from the waitress for another, less-mangled, fork...

Lawrence

Victor Sack

Frogleg > wrote:

> Ah. Now I see my problem. There are TWO 'Vietnamese table etiquette'
> threads, one distinguished by "ot:" Since I was posting/replying in
> the most recent one, I was unaware of the previous thread.

No, there is only one thread - just check the references, all of which
include the Message-ID of my original post in the thread (and which,
incidentally, had no 'ot' in the subject header). The threads appear
separate on Google which, for some unfathomable reasons, is still unable
to thread by references and threads by subjects instead. Bad, bad
Google.

Victor
Steve-O

$$$PayPal $$$ READ ME !
> [...]
> > all!!! If the Program is only moderately successful for
> > you, your PayPal account will have several hundred dollars deposited
> > into it within the next few days! If you actively
> > participate in the Program, you could have up to $20,000.00 in your
> > PayPal account within two weeks!
> >
> > Now let me tell you the simple details.
> >
> > Getting Started!!
> >
> > If you're not already a user of PayPal, the very first thing you need
> > to do is go to PayPal and sign up. It takes two minutes
> > and Pay Pal will deposit $5.00 in your account just for becoming a
> > member. That makes this program's total cost $0!!! Follow
> > this link to open your PayPal account:
> >
> > https://www.paypal.com
> >
> > Now log into your PayPal account, and send the PayPal account of the
> > person listed in Position 1 $5.00 PayPal will ask you to
> > select type. (Select "service" and put "$5.00 donation" for
> > subject.) When person in Position 1 receives notification of your
> > payment, you can simply copy this page and change the names in
> > position #1 & #2 & #3 as instructed. Remember, only the person
> > in Position 1 on the list gets your $5.00 donation. Send them a
> > donation then remove #1PayPal account from the list. Move the
> > other two accounts up & add your Paypal account to #3 position. After
> > you have retyped the names in the new order,
> >
> > IMMEDIATELY send the revised message to as many people as possible.
> > PROMOTE! PROMOTE! The more you promote the Program, the
> > more you will receive in donations!! That's all there is to it.
> >
> > When your name reaches Position 1 (usually in less than a week) it
> > will be your turn to receive the cash. $5.00 will be sent
> > to your PayPal account by people just like you who are willing to send
> > $5.00 dontation and receive up to $20,000 in less than
> > two weeks. Because there are only (3) names on the list you can
> > anticipate 80% of your cash within two weeks.
> >
> > Anytime you find yourself short on cash just take out your $5.00
> > donation program and send it to 50 prospects. Imagine if you
> > sent it to 100 or even more. Most people spend more than $5 on the
> > lottery every week with no real hope of ever winning.
> >
> > THIS PROGRAM WORKS - JUST TRY IT
> >
> > POSITION # 1 PAYPAL Account:> >
> > POSITION # 2 PAYPAL ACCOUNT:

> > POSITION # 3 PAYPAL ACCOUNT:

> > Integrity and honesty make this plan work.
> > Participants who actively promote this program will average between $8000
> > and
> > $12000 and receive the donations within two weeks.
> >
> > This is not a chain letter. You are simply making a donation of $5.00
> > to another person. The Program does not violate title
> > 18 section 1302 of the Postal and lottery code.
> >
> > Remember -TIME is of the essence. YOU can choose to live
> > Paycheck-to-Paycheck or live FREE from FINANCIAL BONDAGE. Become a
> > part of the donation program and help people help people.
> >
> > This program is about helping each other!
> >
> > Success is a journey - Not a destination!

Heather Fair

"James Silverton" wrote:
snip>>>Certainly, on a slightly different topic, I
> have been told by Thais that the normal utensils in Thailand are a spoon

and
> a fork but many people ask for chopsticks in restaurants around

here.>>>snip

Interesting. I use any excuse I can to use chopsticks. Absolutely love
them and prefer them to most any other utensils. Must be because it was one
of the first things I discovered I could do better than my parents.

Heather Fair

Dan Logcher

Heather Fair wrote:

> "James Silverton" wrote:
> snip>>>Certainly, on a slightly different topic, I
>
>>have been told by Thais that the normal utensils in Thailand are a spoon
>>

> and
>
>>a fork but many people ask for chopsticks in restaurants around
>>

> here.>>>snip
>
> Interesting. I use any excuse I can to use chopsticks. Absolutely love
> them and prefer them to most any other utensils. Must be because it was one
> of the first things I discovered I could do better than my parents.

I recently heard a report that people in mainland China have higher
occurrences of arthritis in their chopstick hand, due to the repetitive
use of chopsticks (RSI or something).

That doesn't stop me from using them though..

--
Dan

Betty Lee

Dan Logcher > wrote:
+ I recently heard a report that people in mainland China have higher
+ occurrences of arthritis in their chopstick hand, due to the repetitive
+ use of chopsticks (RSI or something).
[...]
+ That doesn't stop me from using them though..

Sometimes, chopsticks are just the best tool for the job,
but that doesn't mean chopsticks are _always_ the best tool.

Table Linens and Modern Etiquette jiyamaddy Recipes 0 17-09-2011 02:19 PM
Broiling Etiquette Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 0 11-08-2010 04:03 PM
Tea etiquette Fran Tea 22 14-01-2007 03:17 PM
Table etiquette on both sides of the Atlantic Yves Wine 56 04-12-2005 11:41 AM
Instruction for Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese ground coffee (Cafe Sua Da) coffeelover General Cooking 5 08-06-2005 03:30 AM