FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   thai iced coffee (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/20812-re-thai-iced-coffee.html)

ExpatNL 03-10-2003 07:28 PM

thai iced coffee

"Heather Fair" > wrote in message
> Looking for a recipe for thai iced coffee. I've tried several I've found
> around the Net and none are even close to what you get in the better Thai
> restaurants.
> Feel free to email me directly with the recipe if you have it, just remove
> !nospam! first.
> --
> Heather Fair

thai [or malay/singapore] iced coffee is horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrid! way too
sweet and WEAK! try lao coffee. or better yet, vietnamese.
i personally don't care for the disasterous condense milk [for some reason
they just love the stuff] but the coffee alone tastes very different from
the usual western varieties. heard they add chicory, no?! nice with ice
as it't very strong but i want to taste thecoffee and not desert. just
returned from bolivia and peru today. only swiss instant coffee in sachets
:((( brought along me nestle's instant espresso and used it for 4 weeks.
anyway, in thailand they also look at me funny when i tell them i don't want
any sugar in my iced coffee.

thaitotos 11-10-2003 08:01 AM

thai iced coffee

> thai [or malay/singapore] iced coffee is horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrid! way too
> sweet and WEAK! try lao coffee. or better yet, vietnamese.
> i personally don't care for the disasterous condense milk [for some reason
> they just love the stuff] but the coffee alone tastes very different from
> the usual western varieties. heard they add chicory, no?! nice with ice
> as it't very strong but i want to taste thecoffee and not desert. just
> returned from bolivia and peru today. only swiss instant coffee in sachets
> :((( brought along me nestle's instant espresso and used it for 4 weeks.
> anyway, in thailand they also look at me funny when i tell them i don't want
> any sugar in my iced coffee.

In the past, Coffee beans in Thailand were low quality to make a cup
of coffee, so our ancestor were blend with roast tamarind seed , etc .
.. . (sorry I cannot remember), in order to get sweet smell.

So Thai iced coffee or O-lieng is just a dessert for Thai people.
But compare to O-lieng in favor of "real" coffee, Lao coffee is better
for coffee lover.
But there're many that love O-lieng and gafae yen

for more information, please visit http://www.lanabiz.com/r/siamcafe

Best regards,

azizbd 28-05-2013 03:07 PM

This Thai iced coffee recipe is made the traditional Thai way and is surprisingly
EASY to do! It's a great way to use up leftover coffee from breakfast,

contract-chef 01-04-2014 04:11 PM

Never tried iced coffee in Thailand but I know what you mean about the condensed milk. They use it in everything including coffee and tea. I don't care for the coffee too much but I did really enjoy the "milk tea" (again with the condensed milk !).