Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Sukhumvit Soi Five Fried Chicken

Hi -

Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:

> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
sauce and extra garlic.

The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
$1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
worried about the fish sauce.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
> sauce and extra garlic.
>
> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
> worried about the fish sauce.
>
> -sw

I wanted to use the recipe, but I had trouble getting coriander root (if
anyone can tell me where to find it in Northern VA, I'd appreciate it)
and had to use a guesstimated amount of cilantro stalks instead. The
chicken came out very wel, though. It had a very crispy, tasty crust,
with moist tasty chicken underneath.

I really like your idea of using a curry paste, though, since it has
lots of good taste pounded into it already. Maybe next time.

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

> " > wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:
>>> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:

>>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

>> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
>> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
>> sauce and extra garlic.
>>
>> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
>> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
>> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
>> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
>> worried about the fish sauce.
>>
>> -sw

>I wanted to use the recipe, but I had trouble getting coriander root (if
>anyone can tell me where to find it in Northern VA, I'd appreciate it)
>and had to use a guesstimated amount of cilantro stalks instead. The
>chicken came out very wel, though. It had a very crispy, tasty crust,
>with moist tasty chicken underneath.
>
>I really like your idea of using a curry paste, though, since it has
>lots of good taste pounded into it already. Maybe next time.
>
>Ian

To locate some cilantro root, try a few non-asian grocers, too. Asian
grocers are more likely to know the root has specific value and may
sell seperately. You might get lucky at the farmer's market, too. Or
just grow your own cilantro. You're in a climate where you could
probably come close to growing it year 'round. I believe it freezes
ok (at least for the short term).

Chok Dee!
- Frawley
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:23:29 -0500, Frawley >
wrote:

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>>> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
>>> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
>>> sauce and extra garlic.
>>>
>>> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
>>> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
>>> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
>>> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
>>> worried about the fish sauce.
>>>
>>> -sw

>>I wanted to use the recipe, but I had trouble getting coriander root (if
>>anyone can tell me where to find it in Northern VA, I'd appreciate it)
>>and had to use a guesstimated amount of cilantro stalks instead. The
>>chicken came out very wel, though. It had a very crispy, tasty crust,
>>with moist tasty chicken underneath.
>>
>>I really like your idea of using a curry paste, though, since it has
>>lots of good taste pounded into it already. Maybe next time.
>>
>>Ian

>To locate some cilantro root, try a few non-asian grocers, too. Asian
>grocers are more likely to know the root has specific value and may
>sell seperately. You might get lucky at the farmer's market, too. Or
>just grow your own cilantro. You're in a climate where you could
>probably come close to growing it year 'round. I believe it freezes
>ok (at least for the short term).
>
>Chok Dee!
>- Frawley

Yes, it freezes, but the frozen isn't a patch on the fresh IMO.

Regards
JonH

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Default Thai Chicken Wings ( Sukhumvit Soi Five Fried Chicken)

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
> sauce and extra garlic.
>
> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
> worried about the fish sauce.

I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
moderation. Except chocolate milk.

I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
other way.

Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
tossing several times then drained and deep fried.

http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

No sauce or condiments required.

I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

Looks great, but I am not a big fan of red curry paste. I'm thinking of
using Sriracha sauce instead when I try it.

Nice picture!

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
>>slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
>>shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
>>for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
>>other way.

> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like:
http://importfood.com/fger1601.html

It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.

> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
never tried regular rice flour.

> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
crispiness longer.

-sw (restoring legitimate crossposting. This started at AFA. If
you need to snip anything, snip RFC)
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:07:57 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>
>> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
>> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
>> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
>> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>>
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>>
>> No sauce or condiments required.

> Looks great, but I am not a big fan of red curry paste. I'm thinking of
> using Sriracha sauce instead when I try it.

Mae Ploy has all sorts of curry pastes. I have 3 difefrrent kinds
in the fridge right now. They're only $2/14 tub so you can use them
generously.

You could also use Hoy Fong's Chili Garlic Sauce. I like the
various flavors of the curry pastes though. Lots of good stuff in
there (but too much salt).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

Yum!

> No sauce or condiments required.

I'd have to try lime juice. Sorry.

> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).

That's weird. In Australia I've never seen fresh coriander for sale without
the roots on.

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

>> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
>> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
>> sauce and extra garlic.
>>
>> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
>> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
>> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
>> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
>> worried about the fish sauce.

> I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
> depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
> moderation. Except chocolate milk.
>
> I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
> slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
> shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
> for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
> other way.
>
> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Nice pic - I want some right now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
>>> slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
>>> shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
>>> for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
>>> other way.

>> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
>> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

> I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like:
> http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
>
> It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.
>
>> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

> It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
> than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
> starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
> never tried regular rice flour.
>
>> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
>> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
>> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

> I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
> everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
> crispiness longer.

I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the
batter is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish
any other way now.

With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:08:57 +1000, Michael wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

> Yum!
>
>> No sauce or condiments required.

> I'd have to try lime juice. Sorry.

Good suggestion. I actually had some cut up limes sitting right
there as I ate them.

> That's weird. In Australia I've never seen fresh coriander for sale without
> the roots on.

Not here in the US. I've only once seen them at the big Asian
grocers.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Oh man that looks good! You can cook for me any time babe. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sep 6, 10:30*pm, " > wrote:
> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

A question about the use of cilantro root/stems...

I just pulled a bunch of plants that had gone to seed from the garden.
I assume you'd want roots from the plants that go to seed since they
would be larger than those pulled from plants that had not yet gone to
seed. These roots were not very big, and very, very woody. I chewed on
one a while and it was like chewing on a stick (but tasted better).
Are the roots supposed to come from mature plants?

Second question, which came after experiencing the roots - are the
stems supposed to come from mature plants going to seed, or from the
soft stems one finds in bunches of cilantro in the store? Again -
these mature stems are very woody and have a hollow center in some
cases.

My thinking was that this was a traditional way to use up ingredients
that would be otherwise wasted (roots/stems). And since one is going
through the trouble of pounding it into a paste anyway, it's woodyness
wouldn't be an issue other than the fact that you have a lot of
pounding to do.

Finally... is there any other method of making a curry like this
rather than hand pounding? Would a food processor or vita-mix work?

It would be easy for me to just substitue a couple bunches of cilantro
from the store, but I'm interested in the idea behind the original
recipe.

-Jeff

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

>> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
>> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
>> sauce and extra garlic.
>>
>> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
>> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
>> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
>> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
>> worried about the fish sauce.

> I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
> depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
> moderation. Except chocolate milk.
>
> I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
> slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
> shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
> for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
> other way.
>
> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Do you think one could bake them?

Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

--
Jean B.
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

they look good, steve.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:32:27 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> Do you think one could bake them?

Sure. I almost baked these, but then I weighed the pan cleanup
against the smell of frying (and resulting texture) and the later
one. These smells great as they were frying.

> Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

I'd be tempted to add some sugar, then. That paste is pretty tart.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:32:27 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Do you think one could bake them?

> Sure. I almost baked these, but then I weighed the pan cleanup
> against the smell of frying (and resulting texture) and the later
> one. These smells great as they were frying.
>
>> Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

> I'd be tempted to add some sugar, then. That paste is pretty tart.
>
> -sw

Yeah, that's why I like it. :-) I don't like deep-frying, which
is why I asked. This looks like a worthy direction for
experimentation--and the weather is cooling down.

--
Jean B.
Posted to alt.food.asian

JeffH wrote:
> On Sep 6, 10:30 pm, " > wrote:
>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

> A question about the use of cilantro root/stems...
>
> I just pulled a bunch of plants that had gone to seed from the garden.
> I assume you'd want roots from the plants that go to seed since they
> would be larger than those pulled from plants that had not yet gone to
> seed. These roots were not very big, and very, very woody. I chewed on
> one a while and it was like chewing on a stick (but tasted better).
> Are the roots supposed to come from mature plants?
>
> Second question, which came after experiencing the roots - are the
> stems supposed to come from mature plants going to seed, or from the
> soft stems one finds in bunches of cilantro in the store? Again -
> these mature stems are very woody and have a hollow center in some
> cases.
>
> My thinking was that this was a traditional way to use up ingredients
> that would be otherwise wasted (roots/stems). And since one is going
> through the trouble of pounding it into a paste anyway, it's woodyness
> wouldn't be an issue other than the fact that you have a lot of
> pounding to do.
>
> Finally... is there any other method of making a curry like this
> rather than hand pounding? Would a food processor or vita-mix work?
>
> It would be easy for me to just substitue a couple bunches of cilantro
> from the store, but I'm interested in the idea behind the original
> recipe.
>
> -Jeff

I think you could get about 85% of the way with a food processor, but
you'd still need to pound the resulting mash for a bit to fully squeeze
the goodness out of it.

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:14:16 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> This looks like a worthy direction for
> experimentation--and the weather is cooling down.

It's just chicken. It's kinda cool.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

" > wrote in message
news
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
>>> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

>> I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like: http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
>>
>> It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.
>>
>>> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

>> It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
>> than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
>> starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
>> never tried regular rice flour.
>>
>>> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
>>> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
>>> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

>> I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
>> everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
>> crispiness longer.

> I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
> uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
> and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the batter
> is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish any
> other way now.
>
> With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
> deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!
>
> Ian

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Stormmee wrote:
> would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

I thought that might happen.

Its from Vongerichten's recipe for Skate Wing with Ginger-Garlic-Black
Bean Crumbs, which is really great, and maybe one day soon I'll type out
the whole thing. Its in his book 'Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges'. Here's
the tempura batter recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup plus 2 TB rice flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sherry vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
3/4 tsp salt (sea or kosher)
3/4 cup cold water

METHOD
Mix the vinegar, oils, salt and water together in a large mixing bowl.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add them
to the mixing bowl and stir gently until the mixture is smooth.

Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 400f.

Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
excess again.

Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occaisionally. Don't crowd
the pan, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt and white pepper.

I did this with skate, cod, and whiting, and its always great. I used
glutinous and non-glutinous rice flour, and I'm not sure which is best.

If you try it, please come back with a report?

Cheers,

ian

> " > wrote in message
> news
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like: http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
>>>
>>> It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.

>>> It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
>>> than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
>>> starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
>>> never tried regular rice flour.

>>> I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
>>> everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
>>> crispiness longer.

>> I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
>> uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
>> and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the batter
>> is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish any
>> other way now.
>>
>> With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
>> deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!
>>
>> Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

" > wrote:
> Stormmee wrote:
> > would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

> []Here's the tempura batter recipe:
> [ . . . ]

Thanks, Ian. Should work with shrimp or veggies, too. Have you subbed
anything for the 'sherry' vinegar?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

this sounds excellent, Lee
" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

> I thought that might happen.
>
> Its from Vongerichten's recipe for Skate Wing with Ginger-Garlic-Black
> Bean Crumbs, which is really great, and maybe one day soon I'll type out
> the whole thing. Its in his book 'Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges'. Here's
> the tempura batter recipe:
>
> INGREDIENTS
> 1 cup plus 2 TB rice flour
> 1/4 tsp baking soda
> 1/4 tsp baking powder
> 2 tsp sherry vinegar
> 2 tsp sesame oil
> 1 1/2 tsp grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
> 3/4 tsp salt (sea or kosher)
> 3/4 cup cold water
>
> METHOD
> Mix the vinegar, oils, salt and water together in a large mixing bowl.
> Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add them to
> the mixing bowl and stir gently until the mixture is smooth.
>
> Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 400f.
>
> Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
> Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the excess
> again.
>
> Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occaisionally. Don't crowd
> the pan, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt and white pepper.
>

> I did this with skate, cod, and whiting, and its always great. I used
> glutinous and non-glutinous rice flour, and I'm not sure which is best.
>
> If you try it, please come back with a report?
>
> Cheers,
>
> ian
>

>> " > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
>>> uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
>>> and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the
>>> batter is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish
>>> any other way now.
>>>
>>> With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
>>> deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!
>>>
>>> Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer wrote:
> " > wrote:
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

>> []Here's the tempura batter recipe:
>> [ . . . ]

> Thanks, Ian. Should work with shrimp or veggies, too. Have you subbed
> anything for the 'sherry' vinegar?

You spotted the hole! I still don't have sherry vinegar, and I have used
Chinese red vinegar, black vinegar, plain white vinegar, and even, I
think, wine vinegar. All of them were fine.

I did veggies the first time, and they were not too bad, but I was using
a fairly useless electric wok back then, and it would be better now,
with my powerful gas ring and big wok. So, yes, I'd bet it would be
great with any kind of veggie too.

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >> []Here's the tempura batter recipe:
> >> [ . . . ]

> > Thanks, Ian. Should work with shrimp or veggies, too. Have you subbed
> > anything for the 'sherry' vinegar?

> You spotted the hole! I still don't have sherry vinegar, and I have used
> Chinese red vinegar, black vinegar, plain white vinegar, and even, I
> think, wine vinegar. All of them were fine.

I think a white wine vinegar or the less acid rice wine vinegar would be
real nice, too.

> I did veggies the first time, and they were not too bad, but I was using
> a fairly useless electric wok back then, and it would be better now,
> with my powerful gas ring and big wok. So, yes, I'd bet it would be
> great with any kind of veggie too.

Depending on whether the interior has to be cooked or not, 360 F to just
below smoke point are what I aim for. Gas ring and big hammered steel wok
are great, aren't they. Dry roast a bunch of Thai chiles in it for a real
treat. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sep 6, 10:30*pm, " > wrote:
> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he
> http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...-fried-chicken...

I made this last night, and for anyone interested, here are my notes/
thoughts on it...

* Coriander root required probably referrs to roots from the young
(cilantro) plant. I spent a lot of time trying to cut up, then pound
the roots from a plant that had gone to coriander seed - they were
just about impossible. Cutting was hard to do. Pounding was
ineffective. So after quite a bit of trying, I dumped the whole thing
into my old vita-mix, set it on high, and reversed the impeller
occationally while it worked for around 5 minutes. Nothing should be
able to survive such treatment, and it didn't. Next time I will use
either just stems or young roots and pound. An unfortunate side effect
of using the vita-mix in that fashion is that friction heats it up,
and it was pretty hot after 5 minutes. Not boiling, but maybe 150F or
so.
* Cilantro stems - these are pretty tiny things - it calls for just 10
of them. The stems are only about 1/8th inch in diameter and run only
about 6 inches long. I threw in a couple more stems for good measure.
* I don't have any "real" red pepper powder, so I substitued 2 small
dried chilis, whole, with the stems removed.
* I could not find "rice flour" in the store - they were out. So I
purchased "brown rice flour". Only after I finished did I realize I
could have ground my own in the vita-mix. But using the brown rice
flour seems to have not been an issue.
* After putting all the ingredients together, I found it was too stiff
to be used as a marinade or be considered "a smooth wet batter" so I
added more chicken stock until it was about pancake batter
consistency.
* I used chicken breasts (cut in 3 pieces), thighs, and legs.
* I marinated for about 24 hours
* After marinating, I dusted with a bit more of rice flour.

The results we
* Tasted pretty darned good. However, the garlic was way out of
proportion with everything else. I love garlic, but 14 cloves is too
much. Every once in a while you could taste beyond the garlic and get
the cilantro root and stems and other ingredients - and that was very
good. Next time I'll try using about 7 cloves.
* The kids loved it (not too spicy) and my wife liked it (the garlic
was overpowering).
* I'll definately continue to modify this recipe more in the future.
* The reason they say to cook "past golden brown" is because you
really need that time to get the parts cooked all the way through. I
fried them to this point in batches, then took out. Then I re-fried
them all for a minute or two hoping to ensure they were completely
cooked. The results were that they were barely cooked enough. Maybe a
little too jucy for comfort with some people, but no blood. Very close
- slightly under - that fine line of undercooked/perfect.

Of topic a little - I finally setup to deep-fry outside on a propane
burner. Wow is that an improvement over frying in the house. No smell
in the house, lots of BTUs, easy clean up. I may never deep fry in the
house again. I also deep fried some biscuits (the uncooked kind you
get in a tube in the refridgerator section of the grocery store) -
those came out pretty cool. I also deep fried some banannas - those
were good too.

Thanks for the recipie link!

-Jeff
Posted to alt.food.asian

great notes, Lee

"JeffH" > wrote in message
On Sep 6, 10:30 pm, " > wrote:
> [...]

really need that time to get the parts cooked all the way through. I
fried them to this point in batches, then took out. Then I re-fried
them all for a minute or two hoping to ensure they were completely
cooked. The results were that they were barely cooked enough. Maybe a
little too jucy for comfort with some people, but no blood. Very close
- slightly under - that fine line of undercooked/perfect.

Of topic a little - I finally setup to deep-fry outside on a propane
burner. Wow is that an improvement over frying in the house. No smell
in the house, lots of BTUs, easy clean up. I may never deep fry in the
house again. I also deep fried some biscuits (the uncooked kind you
get in a tube in the refridgerator section of the grocery store) -
those came out pretty cool. I also deep fried some banannas - those

Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer wrote:
> " > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Thanks, Ian. Should work with shrimp or veggies, too. Have you subbed
>>> anything for the 'sherry' vinegar?

>> You spotted the hole! I still don't have sherry vinegar, and I have used
>> Chinese red vinegar, black vinegar, plain white vinegar, and even, I
>> think, wine vinegar. All of them were fine.

> I think a white wine vinegar or the less acid rice wine vinegar would be
> real nice, too.
>
>> I did veggies the first time, and they were not too bad, but I was using
>> a fairly useless electric wok back then, and it would be better now,
>> with my powerful gas ring and big wok. So, yes, I'd bet it would be
>> great with any kind of veggie too.

> Depending on whether the interior has to be cooked or not, 360 F to just
> below smoke point are what I aim for. Gas ring and big hammered steel wok
> are great, aren't they. Dry roast a bunch of Thai chiles in it for a real
> treat. ;-)

I fried some fish Saturday, and the glutinous rice flour thickens too
much, making the result too pasty. Unfortunately, I then diluted it too
much, so the resulting fish didn't work out too well.

I'd guess for thick fish a lower temperature, like 360, would work better.

Yes, my 'Baby Kahuna' is incredibly powerful. My indoor electric stove
is pathetic in comparison. Another month or so, and that will be all I
have...

Cheers,

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

JeffH wrote:
> [...]

> really need that time to get the parts cooked all the way through. I
> fried them to this point in batches, then took out. Then I re-fried
> them all for a minute or two hoping to ensure they were completely
> cooked. The results were that they were barely cooked enough. Maybe a
> little too jucy for comfort with some people, but no blood. Very close
> - slightly under - that fine line of undercooked/perfect.
>
> Of topic a little - I finally setup to deep-fry outside on a propane
> burner. Wow is that an improvement over frying in the house. No smell
> in the house, lots of BTUs, easy clean up. I may never deep fry in the
> house again. I also deep fried some biscuits (the uncooked kind you
> get in a tube in the refridgerator section of the grocery store) -
> those came out pretty cool. I also deep fried some banannas - those

You can always have the oven preheated, and just cook the chicken for
another 10-15 minutes. But yes, outdoors is so great, insofar as food
smells are concerned.

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> I fried some fish Saturday, and the glutinous rice flour thickens too
> much, making the result too pasty. Unfortunately, I then diluted it too
> much, so the resulting fish didn't work out too well.
>
> I'd guess for thick fish a lower temperature, like 360, would work
> better.
>
> Yes, my 'Baby Kahuna' is incredibly powerful. My indoor electric stove
> is pathetic in comparison. Another month or so, and that will be all I
> have...

Jun has a monster wok cooker outside. Can turn the wok yellow hot in
moments. Only uses it for parties. Gas stove in kitchen.

Tempura batter

INGREDIENTS
1 cup plus 2 Tbs rice flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sherry vinegar [or 1 Tbs rice vinegar - Nick}
2 tsp sesame oil
1-1/2 tsp grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
3/4 tsp salt [sea or kosher - Nick]
3/4 cup cold water

METHOD
Mix the vinegar, oils, salt and water together in a large mixing bowl.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add them
to the mixing bowl and stir gently until the mixture is smooth. Adjust
water or flour to the consistency you like.

Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 360 to 400 F.

Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
excess again.

Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occasionally. Don't crowd
the pan [it'll lower the heat - Nick], drain on paper towels, and sprinkle
with salt and white pepper.

I did this with skate, cod, and whiting, and its always great. I used
glutinous and non-glutinous [best - Nick] rice flour, and I'm not sure
which is best.

If you try it, please come back with a report?

Nick note - best oil for frying, horse, followed by beef and pork.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sep 21, 10:45*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Nick note - best oil for frying, horse, followed by beef and pork.

You're kidding, right? I mean, everyone knows otter oil is best.

-Jeff