Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese,alt.food.asian

Default Vietnamese Frozen Crab

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 16:31:08 -0400, Duh wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> This is some sort of special prep. These are small crabs with the
>>> shell on in a blackish liquid. The ingredients are crab and salt.
>>> Which is how a lot of the of the fermented/preserved fish products
>>> are labeled (simply fish and salt).

>> That sounds really nasty. I consider myself to be somewhat
>> adventurous with regard to food, but you've topped me here.
>> This is on the far side of the "maggot cheese" borderline.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BAn_ri%C3%AAu
>
> http://simplyvietnamese.wordpress.co...p-noodle-soup/
>
> http://www.noodlepie.com/bun_rieu/
>
> Viets use these to make the stock for bún riêu when crabs are out of
> season.

Ahh, so this is it. I've only had Bún riêu at one restaurant in
Houston a bunch of years ago. Not many restaurants do it
authentically, but I was told the one I had was the best out there.
It was very tasty. But I've never tried making it at home.

As I said in alt.food.asian, I probably have tried (and have in
stock) all the Asian fermented fish/seafood products in existence
except this one, so I'm looking forward to trying it in some sort of
soup tomorrow (probably a Thai-ish soup).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 16:31:08 -0400, Duh wrote:
>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>> That sounds really nasty. I consider myself to be somewhat
>>> adventurous with regard to food, but you've topped me here.
>>> This is on the far side of the "maggot cheese" borderline.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BAn_ri%C3%AAu
>>
>> http://simplyvietnamese.wordpress.co...p-noodle-soup/
>>
>> http://www.noodlepie.com/bun_rieu/
>>
>> Viets use these to make the stock for bún riêu when crabs are out of
>> season.

> Ahh, so this is it. I've only had Bún riêu at one restaurant in
> Houston a bunch of years ago. Not many restaurants do it
> authentically, but I was told the one I had was the best out there.
> It was very tasty. But I've never tried making it at home.
>
> As I said in alt.food.asian, I probably have tried (and have in
> stock) all the Asian fermented fish/seafood products in existence
> except this one, so I'm looking forward to trying it in some sort of
> soup tomorrow (probably a Thai-ish soup).
>
> -sw

The ground crab also used for soup such as canh cua rau đay mồng tơi
described in articles below.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fare/2006/05/566549/
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/46651

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese,alt.food.asian

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 08:45:59 -0400, Duh wrote:

> The ground crab also used for soup such as canh cua rau đay mồng tơi
> described in articles below.
>
> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fare/2006/05/566549/
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/46651

Thanks for the additional info. I used to live right around the
corner from that restaurant mentioned in the Chowhound post (before
the restaurant existed in 1990-1997). That's where I learned to
appreciate Vietnamese food - San Jose. My favroite restaurant was
the former Huong Truc for their Bo Mon 7, (I called it Hung True),
but there were many other excellent restaurants down there on Santa
Clara and adjoining streets. And then again on
Tully/Mcglaghlin/King/Story.

-sw