Posted to alt.food.asian

Default R:dumplings-recipe

Reply to previous posting : dumplings, need recipes.
Here is a recipe for Jiiaoz dumplings. In Chinese Cantonese Dim Sum-
touch heart pastry brunch, and YUM-CHA, drink tea and eat dim sum,
there are many types of dumplings.
There a potsticker dumpling (wor tip), water dumpling (jiao-tze, or
shui-jow, or gow-gee), deep fried crescent dumpling (hum-sui-gok),
taro dumpling (wu-gok), and won ton dumpling (shrimp dumpling in
soup), white skin pork shrimp dumpling (har gow), white skin pea
shrimp dumpling (fun- gow), yellow skin pork dumpling (siu mai).

So it needs some searching in Chinese dim sum cook books or internet
search. Here is one- jiao-tze dumpling. This is popular for Beijing
Chinese, Shanghai Chinese, Cantonese Chinese , and Wuhan Chinese,
most part of China.
***********************
IChinese dumplings (Jiaozi) are very popular during the Chinese New
Year season
Ingredients:

* Jiaozi dough:
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* up to 1 1/4 cups cold water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Filling:
* 1 cup ground pork or beef
* 1 TB soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 TB Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste
* 3 TB sesame oil
* 1/2 green onion, finely minced
* 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage
* 4 tablespoons shredded bamboo shoots
* 2 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
* 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced

Preparation:
Stir the salt into the flour. Slowly stir in the cold water, adding as
much as is necessary to form a smooth dough. Don't add more water than
is ncessary. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover the dough and
let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

While the dough is resting, prepare the filling ingredients. Add the
soy sauce, salt, rice wine and white pepper to the meat, stirring in
only one direction. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring in the
same direction, and mix well.

To make the dumpling dough: knead the dough until it forms a smooth
ball. Divide the dough into 60 pieces. Roll each piece out into a
circle about 3-inches in diameter.

Place a small portion (about 1 level tablespoon) of the filling into
the middle of each wrapper. Wet the edges of the dumpling with water.
Fold the dough over the filling into a half moon shape and pinch the
edges to seal. Continue with the remainder of the dumplings.

To cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add half the dumplings,
giving them a gentle stir so they don't stick together. Bring the
water to a boil, and add 1/2 cup of cold water. Cover and repeat. When
the dumplings come to a boil for a third time, they are ready. Drain
and remove. If desired, they can be pan-fried at this point.
n Chinese DIM SUM (lighten-heart pastry brunch, or Yum-Cha -drink tea
and eat dim sum) there are many types of dumplings. There are
[...]

Posted to alt.food.asian

Philip5malin > wrote:
> Reply to previous posting : dumplings, need recipes.
> Here is a recipe for Jiiaoz dumplings. [ . . . ]

Thanks for the recipe, Philip. It sounds good. I might increase the amount
of garlic and add a touch of Cayenne.

I was going to post the recipe for my wife's Thai Fried Spring Rolls
(Paw Pia Tord), but something came up and I have yet to transcribe it. I
still plan to.

Thanks again.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

thank you, Lee
"Philip5malin" > wrote in message
> [...]
> same direction, and mix well.
>
> To make the dumpling dough: knead the dough until it forms a smooth
> ball. Divide the dough into 60 pieces. Roll each piece out into a
> circle about 3-inches in diameter.
>
> Place a small portion (about 1 level tablespoon) of the filling into
> the middle of each wrapper. Wet the edges of the dumpling with water.
> Fold the dough over the filling into a half moon shape and pinch the
> edges to seal. Continue with the remainder of the dumplings.
>
> To cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add half the dumplings,
> giving them a gentle stir so they don't stick together. Bring the
> water to a boil, and add 1/2 cup of cold water. Cover and repeat. When
> the dumplings come to a boil for a third time, they are ready. Drain
> and remove. If desired, they can be pan-fried at this point.

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > typed:
> > Philip5malin > wrote:
> >> Reply to previous posting : dumplings, need recipes.
> >> Here is a recipe for Jiiaoz dumplings. [ . . . ]

> > Thanks for the recipe, Philip. It sounds good. I might increase the
> > amount of garlic and add a touch of Cayenne.
> >
> > I was going to post the recipe for my wife's Thai Fried Spring Rolls
> > (Paw Pia Tord), but something came up and I have yet to transcribe
> > it. I still plan to.

> Hiya Nick,
>
> Any chance you've gotten around to transcribing that recipe yet? I'm very
> interested...

Hi Marty,

Not yet. I have to do the steamed egg rolls, too. Near the top of the to-do
list.

It's been hectic. Grandkids learning Muay Thai kickboxing (questions about
dealing with pain), piano (questions about Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and
Vivaldi), chess (games, with discussions about strategy and planning, and
questions about Capablanca) and golf (questions about grip, stance, address
and 'swing'). Plus help with their math and English homework. I fake it all
pretty well. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> In ,
> Nick Cramer > typed:
> > "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Any chance you've gotten around to transcribing that recipe yet? I'm
> >> very interested...

> > Hi Marty,
> >
> > Not yet. I have to do the steamed egg rolls, too. Near the top of the
> > to-do list.
> > [ . . . ]

> Anyway I'm thinking about doing some kind of crispy spring roll in a
> barbecue competition the weekend of the 22nd (yes, I know it's not
> barbecue, but this event is chock full of various side dish contests and
> I was thinking about some sort of crispy or fresh spring roll, or maybe
> both, for the wraps contest (www.thinkbbq.com).
>
> Anyway I have been spearminting in the kitchen but I still haven't come
> up with anything that feels like a winner.

Sounds like a fun weekend, Marty. Sorry I letcha down, but I'll come in a
day late and a dollar short!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer wrote:
> It's been hectic. Grandkids learning Muay Thai kickboxing (questions about
> dealing with pain), piano (questions about Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and
> Vivaldi), chess (games, with discussions about strategy and planning, and
> questions about Capablanca) and golf (questions about grip, stance, address
> and 'swing'). Plus help with their math and English homework. I fake it all
> pretty well. ;-)

A couple more years and they'll be asking about Scotch and cigars. Don't
worry ;-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Anyway I have been spearminting in the kitchen but I still haven't come up
> with anything that feels like a winner.

Ham and swiss spring rolls with finely diced celery + bamboo shoots, and
finely shredded green cabbage. Pepper, salt, a little msg.

-sw