Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

Default Clement Restaurant in San Francisco (review)

Clement Restaurant
621 Clement Street (between 7th & 8th Ave.)
San Francisco, California, USA

Clement Restaurant is a Chinese bakery on Clement Street in San
Francisco. They make the most delicious "deep fried puffs" which are
balls of fried dough filled with seasoned pork. You have to get them
while they're hot, though, so wait until you see them put a fresh
batch in the window display. Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
you to go somewhere like the park to eat them. They make the first
batch around 8am, so that's a good time to get them. They're only
$0.55 each and I can eat three or four of them.

Clement Restaurant sign:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/...d70ccd7f01.jpg

Front window:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/...a9f4d8f5e6.jpg

Deep fried puffs:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/...b162a4c34f.jpg
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Dec 1, 4:33*pm, wrote:
> Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them.

Yum! Newspaper ink!

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Dec 1, 4:33*pm, wrote:
> Clement Restaurant
> 621 Clement Street (between 7th & 8th Ave.)
> San Francisco, California, USA
>
> Clement Restaurant is a Chinese bakery on Clement Street in San
> Francisco. *They make the most delicious "deep fried puffs" which are
> balls of fried dough filled with seasoned pork. *You have to get them
> while they're hot, though, so wait until you see them put a fresh
> batch in the window display. *Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them. *They make the first
> batch around 8am, so that's a good time to get them. *They're only
> $0.55 each and I can eat three or four of them.
>
> Clement Restaurant sign:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/...d70ccd7f01.jpg
>
> Front window:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/...a9f4d8f5e6.jpg
>
> Deep fried puffs:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/...b162a4c34f.jpg

These are a basic staple at most Dim Sum places. Judging by the
picture, they are called "hom soy gau" (rough cantonese phonetic
pronunciation) Yes, they are good.
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

Bob W. wrote:
> On Dec 1, 4:33 pm, wrote:
>> Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
>> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
>> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them.

> Yum! Newspaper ink!

The Brits have been doing it for decades with fish and chips. Newspaper
ink isn't soluble in oil in my experience.

-sw
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

>> Yum! Newspaper ink!
>
> The Brits have been doing it for decades with fish and chips.
> Newspaper ink isn't soluble in oil in my experience.
>
> -sw

It used to be. Newspaper ink used to be oil-based and would come off on
everything (including the hands of the reader). They switched to
rubber-based inks a while back, so now the ink stays on the paper. The
only drawback to the change that I know of is that the old ink used to
make a good glass polish - if you used newspapers to clean windows the
ink residue would make the glass really sparkle.

--
- Jeff Lichtman
Author, Baseball for Rookies

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

"Jeffrey Lichtman" > wrote in message
.. .
>>> Yum! Newspaper ink!

>> The Brits have been doing it for decades with fish and chips.
>> Newspaper ink isn't soluble in oil in my experience.
>>
>> -sw

> It used to be. Newspaper ink used to be oil-based and would come off on
> everything (including the hands of the reader). They switched to
> rubber-based inks a while back, so now the ink stays on the paper.

Is that true of the Mercury News?
My hands get dirty reading the Sunday MN, but
not reading the Sunday SF Chronicle.

Going back to the British Fish 'n' Chips (or fish supper as
it was called in Scotland) I can't remember the food
ever contacting the newsprint -- I think there was a inner
layer of greaseproof paper. It has been over three decades,
so perhaps my memory is suspect.

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

Bob W. wrote:
> On Dec 1, 4:33 pm, wrote:
>>
>> Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
>> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
>> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them.

> Yum! Newspaper ink!

But if the newspaper is printed using soy ink, then it should be o.k.,
right?

- Peter
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

Pete Fraser > writes:

> Going back to the British Fish 'n' Chips (or fish supper as
> it was called in Scotland) I can't remember the food ever
> contacting the newsprint -- I think there was a inner layer
> of greaseproof paper.

That's the way Old Chelsea, that chip shop in San Francisco
that I've mentioned, used to do it. Which makes sense; any
appreciable amount of oil or grease would soak through the
newspaper pretty quickly.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-old-chelsea-san-francisco

Geoff

--
"Everybody wants to save the earth; nobody wants to
help Mom do the dishes." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

In article >,
Jeffrey Lichtman > wrote:

> It used to be. Newspaper ink used to be oil-based and would come off on
> everything (including the hands of the reader). They switched to
> rubber-based inks a while back, so now the ink stays on the paper

You may have gotten that reversed. Google the topic. Most of America's
daily newspapers use soy-based inks. Wikipedia says over 95% do, and
other sources support the claim of "most" newspapers.
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

Geoff Miller wrote:
> Pete Fraser > writes:
>
>> Going back to the British Fish 'n' Chips (or fish supper as
>> it was called in Scotland) I can't remember the food ever
>> contacting the newsprint -- I think there was a inner layer
>> of greaseproof paper.

> That's the way Old Chelsea, that chip shop in San Francisco
> that I've mentioned, used to do it. Which makes sense; any
> appreciable amount of oil or grease would soak through the
> newspaper pretty quickly.

I thought that was the idea behind the newspaper - to absorb oil and
humidity and keep the stuff crispy.

Wiki is a little bit of help on the subject, but not much. It does say
there is usually an inner lining, but not necessarily greaseproof.
Ireland used just newspaper (no lining). But the use of newsprint has
eventually been banned in 1970's-90's in most countries.

-sw

Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

Bob W. wrote:
> On Dec 1, 4:33 pm, wrote:
>> Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
>> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
>> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them.

> Yum! Newspaper ink!

Soy isn't that bad is it?
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Dec 2, 2:33*pm, Peter Lawrence > wrote:
> Bob W. wrote:
> > On Dec 1, 4:33 pm, wrote:

> >> Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
> >> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
> >> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them.

> > Yum! Newspaper ink!

> But if the newspaper is printed using soy ink, then it should be o.k.,
> right?

The puffs were in a plastic bag. I meant wrap the whole thing up to
keep it warm. Then catch the 38 Geary bus to Arguello and transfer to
33 south to the Haight Street entrance to Golden Gate Park and walk to
Hippy Hill and and the puffs will still be warm and you can eat them
with all the hippies and freaks.
Posted to ba.food,alt.food.asian

On Dec 2, 9:15*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Bob W. wrote:
> > On Dec 1, 4:33 pm, wrote:
> >> Fresh puffs are way too hot to eat, but
> >> you can wrap them up in newspaper and they'll stay hot long enough for
> >> you to go somewhere like the park to eat them.

> > Yum! Newspaper ink!

> The Brits have been doing it for decades with fish and chips. Newspaper
> ink isn't soluble in oil in my experience.
>
> -sw

Yep, and does anyone remember Johnson's Tamales on Taraval (City) and
then later in Westlake? They used newspaper. We loved them so much and
knew that the newspaper kept the food warm and was recycling at its
earliest and finest.
Take care,
Julie