FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   Chinese bakery on Clement Street... (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/161324-chinese-bakery-clement-street.html)

[email protected] 09-09-2008 01:24 AM

Chinese bakery on Clement Street...

There is a bakery I like on Clement Street around 7th; I don't know
the name but it's logo is a yellow dragon. The only Chinese pastry I
ever had before was a sesame ball, but they were out and the lady
suggested something else. I expected a fruit filling but it was some
sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
was in it but it was delicious! They had just come out of the fryer
so they were nice and hot, but so filling I could only eat two of
them. The texture of the dough was good, and even though it was
saturated with oil it wasn't too greasy. And you can buy three of
them for only $1.50.

[email protected] 09-09-2008 02:15 AM

wrote:
> There is a bakery I like on Clement Street around 7th; I don't know
> the name but it's logo is a yellow dragon. The only Chinese pastry I
> ever had before was a sesame ball, but they were out and the lady
> suggested something else. I expected a fruit filling but it was some
> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
> was in it but it was delicious! They had just come out of the fryer
> so they were nice and hot, but so filling I could only eat two of
> them. The texture of the dough was good, and even though it was
> saturated with oil it wasn't too greasy. And you can buy three of
> them for only $1.50.

Would it be possible to let us know in what city / country Clement St &
7th resides? The pastry sounds delicious.

Cheers,

Ian

Guy Bannis 09-09-2008 02:17 AM

Chinese bakery on Clement Street...

In article
wrote:

> I expected a fruit filling but it was some
> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
> was in it but it was delicious!

What a strange remark! It was either pork or beef, and it was most
likely pork.

Peter Lawrence 09-09-2008 02:27 AM

Chinese bakery on Clement Street...

>> There is a bakery I like on Clement Street around 7th; I don't know
>> the name but it's logo is a yellow dragon. The only Chinese pastry I
>> ever had before was a sesame ball, but they were out and the lady
>> suggested something else. I expected a fruit filling but it was some
>> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
>> was in it but it was delicious! They had just come out of the fryer
>> so they were nice and hot, but so filling I could only eat two of
>> them. The texture of the dough was good, and even though it was
>> saturated with oil it wasn't too greasy. And you can buy three of
>> them for only $1.50.

> Would it be possible to let us know in what city / country Clement St &
> 7th resides? The pastry sounds delicious.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

San Francisco, California, USA.

The original poster was referring to a bakery on Clement Street around
7th Avenue (not 7th Street) in the Richmond District of San Francisco.

- Peter

lgblob 09-09-2008 07:08 AM

"Peter Lawrence" > wrote in message

>>> There is a bakery I like on Clement Street around 7th; I don't know
>>> the name but it's logo is a yellow dragon. The only Chinese pastry I
>>> ever had before was a sesame ball, but they were out and the lady
>>> suggested something else. I expected a fruit filling but it was some
>>> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
>>> was in it but it was delicious! They had just come out of the fryer
>>> so they were nice and hot, but so filling I could only eat two of
>>> them. The texture of the dough was good, and even though it was
>>> saturated with oil it wasn't too greasy. And you can buy three of
>>> them for only $1.50.

>> Would it be possible to let us know in what city / country Clement St &
>> 7th resides? The pastry sounds delicious.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ian

> San Francisco, California, USA.
>
> The original poster was referring to a bakery on Clement Street around 7th
> Avenue (not 7th Street) in the Richmond District of San Francisco.
>
> - Peter

I think 7th and Clement is just slightly east of the Richmond district.

Sqwertz 09-09-2008 11:12 AM

Guy Bannis > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> wrote:
>
>> I expected a fruit filling but it was some
>> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
>> was in it but it was delicious!

> What a strange remark!

Not if the restaurant is called the Peking Moon.

-sw

James Silverton[_4_] 09-09-2008 01:25 PM

Guy wrote on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:17:24 -0700:

>> I expected a fruit filling but it was some
>> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind
>> of meat was in it but it was delicious!

You might want to enquire if there are other fillings. There is a place
near where I live (in Rockville, MD) that has what seem to be similar
baked buns. The pastry is soft and very slightly sweet. I remember
bean, pork and chicken curry and there are others.......pretty good too!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Peter Lawrence 09-09-2008 10:07 PM

wrote:

>>> Would it be possible to let us know in what city / country Clement St &
>>> 7th resides? The pastry sounds delicious.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Ian

>> San Francisco, California, USA.
>>
>> The original poster was referring to a bakery on Clement Street around 7th
>> Avenue (not 7th Street) in the Richmond District of San Francisco.
>>
>> - Peter

> I think 7th and Clement is just slightly east of the Richmond district.

Nope, it's very near the center of the Inner Richmond.

- Peter

Cuddly Duddly[_3_] 29-09-2008 10:51 PM

"Guy Bannis" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> wrote:
>
>> I expected a fruit filling but it was some
>> sort of meat and mild chiles. I'd rather not know what kind of meat
>> was in it but it was delicious!

> What a strange remark! It was either pork or beef, and it was most
> likely pork.

Years ago in England, the authorities rolled up a Chinese bakery/restaurant
when the garbage collectors noticed every collection day an inordinate
number of used, opened dog food cans. Hmmm.....

Guy Bannis 30-09-2008 03:13 AM

Chinese bakery on Clement Street...

In article >,
"Cuddly Duddly" > wrote:

> Years ago in England, the authorities rolled up a Chinese bakery/restaurant
> when the garbage collectors noticed every collection day an inordinate
> number of used, opened dog food cans. Hmmm.....

Prolly another urban legend.

Geoff Miller 08-10-2008 04:26 AM

Cuddly Duddly > writes:

> Years ago in England, the authorities rolled up a Chinese
> bakery/restaurant when the garbage collectors noticed every
> collection day an inordinate number of used, opened dog food
> cans. Hmmm.....

If a known or self-identified Republican posted such a thing,
he'd be set upon and denounced as a racist.

Geoff

--
"People who enjoy meetings should not be
in charge of anything." -- Thomas Sowell

Guy Bannis 08-10-2008 05:37 AM

(Geoff Miller) wrote:

> Cuddly Duddly > writes:
>
> > Years ago in England, the authorities rolled up a Chinese
> > bakery/restaurant when the garbage collectors noticed every
> > collection day an inordinate number of used, opened dog food
> > cans. Hmmm.....

> If a known or self-identified Republican posted such a thing,
> he'd be set upon and denounced as a racist.

Republican status not necessary to qualify.

kalanamak 12-10-2008 01:14 AM

Peter Lawrence wrote:

>>> wrote:

> Nope, it's very near the center of the Inner Richmond.
>
> - Peter

And enough of a hotbed of Asian food even I, who've never spent more
than 5 days total in SF, knew it was in SF. Also, the post was cross
posted to ba.food (as in Bay Area). Pardon us USians, in general, and us
Asian foodie Americans specifically.

blacksalt