Posted to alt.food.asian

Default How much bad fat is in Laksa?

I'm in Asia and have been eating a lot of (tufu/vegetairan) Laksa.
Someone told me, though, that the milk used is super high in saturated
fats and is the worst possible thing to eat if you have high
cholesterol. True?
Posted to alt.food.asian

On May 26, 11:04 pm, garagecapital > wrote:
> I'm in Asia and have been eating a lot of (tufu/vegetairan) Laksa.
> Someone told me, though, that the milk used is super high in saturated
> fats and is the worst possible thing to eat if you have high
> cholesterol. True?

Coconut milk is high in saturated fat. According to some sources, this
is a "good" kind of sat. fat and will not turn into the bad
cholesterol that clogs your arteries. This claim is not scientifically
proven yet, and it would still be high in calories, so don't go crazy
on it.
Posted to alt.food.asian

Tippi wrote:
> On May 26, 11:04 pm, garagecapital > wrote:
>
>>I'm in Asia and have been eating a lot of (tufu/vegetairan) Laksa.
>>Someone told me, though, that the milk used is super high in saturated
>>fats and is the worst possible thing to eat if you have high
>>cholesterol. True?

> Coconut milk is high in saturated fat. According to some sources, this
> is a "good" kind of sat. fat and will not turn into the bad
> cholesterol that clogs your arteries. This claim is not scientifically
> proven yet, and it would still be high in calories, so don't go crazy
> on it.

If its saturated fat, its bad..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

On May 29, 1:21 am, Dan Logcher > wrote:

> If its saturated fat, its bad..

Not according to http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

"Once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high
saturated fat content, it is now known that the fat in coconut oil is
a unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many
health giving properties."

Posted to alt.food.asian

On May 30, 3:28 pm, Tippi > wrote:

> > If its saturated fat, its bad..

> Not according tohttp://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

OK that page seem to a bit self serving. Did some more searches, and
this page says "Dietary guidelines inevitably fail to distinguish
between different kinds of saturated fats and insist that saturated
fats (meaning all saturated fats) are harmful. ... Leading scientists
now recognize that just as there is good cholesterol, there are also
good saturated fats. "

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/cocgood.html

And this page says Soy and Corn growers worked with the FDA to condemn
Coconut so *their* oil gets used

http://www.alternative-healthzine.com/html/0108_2.html

This is still in the "alternative" realm so you can believe it or not
depending on how you view "established" medicine.