Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Use of dried herbs etc when cooking thai food

Hi,

I have just got back from thailand and managed a few cooking classes
where i was introduced to a wide variety of ingredients i had never
heard of let alone expect to be able to buy fresh in the uk. I have
managed to find the likes of kaffir lime leaves and galangal but all
dried. Im hopeful that i may find galangal fresh but in regard to
using dried kaffir lime leaves do i just add them to the wok as i
would with fresh lime leaves? Im sure i may have been told to add them
later. How later if this is true? A few minutes before im finished?
Does it make any difference when i add them if i just added them when
i would normally add fresh? Im assuming the same concept would be
taken for any herb for any cuisine. Would be great is someone could
offer some advice as im eager to start cooking some thai. Cheers

Burnsy
Posted to alt.food.asian

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just got back from thailand and managed a few cooking classes
> where i was introduced to a wide variety of ingredients i had never
> heard of let alone expect to be able to buy fresh in the uk. I have
> managed to find the likes of kaffir lime leaves and galangal but all
> dried. Im hopeful that i may find galangal fresh but in regard to
> using dried kaffir lime leaves do i just add them to the wok as i
> would with fresh lime leaves? Im sure i may have been told to add them
> later. How later if this is true? A few minutes before im finished?
> Does it make any difference when i add them if i just added them when
> i would normally add fresh? Im assuming the same concept would be
> taken for any herb for any cuisine. Would be great is someone could
> offer some advice as im eager to start cooking some thai. Cheers

G'day Burnsy. You should treat the dried Kaffir lime leaves as you would
Bay leaves. Add them early, so they have a chance to rehydrate and infuse
their flavor. Eat my SPAM to email me and I'll send you some fresh Kaffir
lime leaves (bai makruet) and some seeds. They may get through. Meanwhile,
go here for my wife's recipes:

http://geocities.com/sqwertz/junthai.htm

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.asian

ian > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just got back from thailand and managed a few cooking classes
> > where i was introduced to a wide variety of ingredients i had never
> > heard of let alone expect to be able to buy fresh in the uk. I have
> > managed to find the likes of kaffir lime leaves and galangal but all
> > dried. Im hopeful that i may find galangal fresh but in regard to
> > using dried kaffir lime leaves do i just add them to the wok as i
> > would with fresh lime leaves? Im sure i may have been told to add them
> > later. How later if this is true? A few minutes before im finished?
> > Does it make any difference when i add them if i just added them when
> > i would normally add fresh? Im assuming the same concept would be
> > taken for any herb for any cuisine. Would be great is someone could
> > offer some advice as im eager to start cooking some thai. Cheers
> >
> > Burnsy

> If you are unable to find fresh galangal, fresh ginger will probably
> work better than dried galangal in your dishes.

Galangal is also called Kah or Laos in Thai. Asian markets in the UK , USA,
etc., usually have it dried, which will keep indefinitely unrefrigerated in
a closed container. It's also available powdered. 1/2 tsp of powder equals
about a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" slice of dried. Some markets carry frozen Kah.
Kah need not be peeled. Only slice it when you're ready to use it. THERE IS
NO SUBSTITUTE! hth

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.asian

Hi, thanks for the tips. Ive now managed to find a thai supermarket
which stocks fresh ingredients, Im hoping that the likes of galangal
and kaffir lime leaves I can buy a reasonable quantity and freeze
them. Most of the other items I should be able to track at my green
grocers etc. See below for a thai market in the edinburgh area, maybe
Ill find somemore as I keep searching:

http://www.orient-edinburgh.co.uk

Anyway, Im one step closer to cooking my thai food

Burnsy

Posted to alt.food.asian

wrote:
> Hi, thanks for the tips. Ive now managed to find a thai supermarket
> which stocks fresh ingredients, Im hoping that the likes of galangal
> and kaffir lime leaves I can buy a reasonable quantity and freeze
> them. Most of the other items I should be able to track at my green
> grocers etc. See below for a thai market in the edinburgh area, maybe
> Ill find somemore as I keep searching:

http://www.orient-edinburgh.co.uk

> Anyway, Im one step closer to cooking my thai food

Hi, Burnsy! If the Kaffir lime leaves are too pricey, lemme know and I'll
mail you some. I've got six trees here, which need pruning. I'll also mail
you some seeds, but I don't know how they'll fare in Auld Reekie.

A proud supporter of the Hibernian football team,

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~