Posted to alt.food.asian

Default stir-fry pan

Hi,
Need advice on purchasing a new stir-fry pan (flat bottom wok). My
last one had a non-stick coating that scratched off and flaked. I am
seeking recommendations on both material (stainless, cast iron,
hammered?) and also a well liked brand.
TIA
Lori
Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:30:02 GMT, Lori Lee >
wrote:

>Hi,
>Need advice on purchasing a new stir-fry pan (flat bottom wok). My
>last one had a non-stick coating that scratched off and flaked. I am
>seeking recommendations on both material (stainless, cast iron,
>hammered?) and also a well liked brand.
>TIA
>Lori
>Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

the one i use (damned electric stove!) is just regular carbon steel
like a conventional wok, but with one conventional fry-pan type handle
and one u-shaped handle of wood:

<http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cookingfor.us/catalog/images/woks%2520%26%2520stirfry%2520pans.jpg&imgrefurl=ht tp://www.cookingfor.us/catalog/kitchen-houseware-products-cookware-c-161_164.html&h=280&w=280&sz=10&hl=en&start=6&um=1& tbnid=Ard3FX6f6ZDhrM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflat-bottom%2Bwok%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DN>

i can't tell if it's hammered or not. as you've found, non-stick can
be a problem. cast iron i would think would weigh a ton.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian

<http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...us/catalog/ima
ges/woks%2520%26%2520stirfry%2520pans.jpg&imgrefurl=ht tp://www.cookingfor.us
/catalog/kitchen-houseware-products-cookware-c-161_164.html&h=280&w=280&sz=1
0&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=Ard3FX6f6ZDhrM:&tbnh=11 4&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3F
q%3Dflat-bottom%2Bwok%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%2
6rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DN>

> i can't tell if it's hammered or not. as you've found, non-stick can
> be a problem. cast iron i would think would weigh a ton.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've got a cast iron wok, but it's almost a senseless item when you use it
on an electric stove; the burner just doesn't get hot enough to warrant a
wok. Mine might be a Lodge? And, yes, it weighs a ton.

kili

Posted to alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:30:02 GMT, Lori Lee wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Need advice on purchasing a new stir-fry pan (flat bottom wok). My
>> last one had a non-stick coating that scratched off and flaked. I am
>> seeking recommendations on both material (stainless, cast iron,
>> hammered?) and also a well liked brand.

> I've been tempted to get a cast iron pan, but I have _so many_
> pans already... I'd have no place to store or hang it.
>
> -sw

I don't have any more space, either, Steve. I keep mine on the kitchen
table and UNDER the kitchen table.

kili

Posted to alt.food.asian

> the one i use (damned electric stove!)

For those with an electric stove ... About 25 years ago I lived in a house
with no gas (well it could have had for $$$$$) and my new wife decided that
my old trash stove should be replaced with a pretty new JennAir. As a peace
offering she bought me the JennAit wok kit to replace my old "dirty" spun
steel wok! Well it was a Teflon coated wok that soon was trash BUT it came
with a special burner element that was concave to fit to the wok. That
burner and my old dirty wok is still in use, it will get the wok to red heat
if I am not careful. It doesn't have quite the fast recovery of gas but it
makes "wok rings" or even flat bottomed woks look like poor cousines. These
burners are still around on the parts market though they are about $70-80,
i.e. expensive, but if mine ever burnes out I will run out and buy a
replacement.
Doug.

Posted to alt.food.asian

blake murphy wrote on 17 Apr 2007 in alt.food.asian

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:30:02 GMT, Lori Lee >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Need advice on purchasing a new stir-fry pan (flat bottom wok). My
> >last one had a non-stick coating that scratched off and flaked. I am
> >seeking recommendations on both material (stainless, cast iron,
> >hammered?) and also a well liked brand.
> >TIA
> >Lori
> >Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

> the one i use (damned electric stove!) is just regular carbon steel
> like a conventional wok, but with one conventional fry-pan type handle
> and one u-shaped handle of wood:
>
> <http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...gfor.us/catalo
> g/images/woks%2520%26%2520stirfry%2520pans.jpg&imgrefurl=ht tp://www.coo
> kingfor.us/catalog/kitchen-houseware-products-cookware-c-161_164.html&h
> =280&w=280&sz=10&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=Ard3FX6f 6ZDhrM:&tbnh=114&tbnw
> =114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflat-bottom%2Bwok%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3D
> en%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DN>
>
> i can't tell if it's hammered or not. as you've found, non-stick can
> be a problem. cast iron i would think would weigh a ton.
>
> your pal,
> blake

This is similar to mine...Mine came with instructions on how to non-stick
proof it...involving baking it in the oven at 350F with the wooden handle
wrapped in a moisten cloth towelette and then wrapped in foil...Then while
still warm wiping it with cooking oil and then back in the oven for a
while to cure the oil...Worked a treat.
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:20:30 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote on 17 Apr 2007 in alt.food.asian
>
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:30:02 GMT, Lori Lee >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >Need advice on purchasing a new stir-fry pan (flat bottom wok). My
>> >last one had a non-stick coating that scratched off and flaked. I am
>> >seeking recommendations on both material (stainless, cast iron,
>> >hammered?) and also a well liked brand.
>> >TIA
>> >Lori
>> >Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

>> the one i use (damned electric stove!) is just regular carbon steel
>> like a conventional wok, but with one conventional fry-pan type handle
>> and one u-shaped handle of wood:
>>
>> <http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...gfor.us/catalo
>> g/images/woks%2520%26%2520stirfry%2520pans.jpg&imgrefurl=ht tp://www.coo
>> kingfor.us/catalog/kitchen-houseware-products-cookware-c-161_164.html&h
>> =280&w=280&sz=10&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=Ard3FX6f 6ZDhrM:&tbnh=114&tbnw
>> =114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflat-bottom%2Bwok%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3D
>> en%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DN>
>>
>> i can't tell if it's hammered or not. as you've found, non-stick can
>> be a problem. cast iron i would think would weigh a ton.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>This is similar to mine...Mine came with instructions on how to non-stick
>proof it...involving baking it in the oven at 350F with the wooden handle
>wrapped in a moisten cloth towelette and then wrapped in foil...Then while
>still warm wiping it with cooking oil and then back in the oven for a
>while to cure the oil...Worked a treat.

i don't recall doing anything to season mine as you would cast iron.
just using it with probably a little more oil and no soap washing and
a coat of oil afterwards.

but frankly, compared to the round-bottom and gas, i hate the damn
thing. any electric stove users have any tips? does anyone have a
propane wok-burner?

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian

blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:20:30 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
> >blake murphy wrote on 17 Apr 2007 in alt.food.asian
> >> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:30:02 GMT, Lori Lee >
> >> [ . . . ]

> but frankly, compared to the round-bottom and gas, i hate the damn
> thing. any electric stove users have any tips? does anyone have a
> propane wok-burner?

Hi Blake,

We have a couple of propane wok-burners. They're monsters that we bought in
Chinatown, LA CA, for parties and special needs. We do most of our
carbon-steel, round bottomed wok cooking on our gas stove.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.asian

On 21 Apr 2007 03:52:56 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:20:30 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
>> >blake murphy wrote on 17 Apr 2007 in alt.food.asian

>> but frankly, compared to the round-bottom and gas, i hate the damn
>> thing. any electric stove users have any tips? does anyone have a
>> propane wok-burner?

>Hi Blake,
>
>We have a couple of propane wok-burners. They're monsters that we bought in
>Chinatown, LA CA, for parties and special needs. We do most of our
>carbon-steel, round bottomed wok cooking on our gas stove.

do you like them? got a name or brand i could look up?

i'm not sure it would be practical for me, but i'm curious. but
they're big, you say?

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian

blake murphy > wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2007 03:52:56 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> >blake murphy > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:20:30 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >

[ . . . ]
> >We have a couple of propane wok-burners. They're monsters that we bought
> >in Chinatown, LA CA, for parties and special needs. We do most of our
> >carbon-steel, round bottomed wok cooking on our gas stove.

> do you like them? got a name or brand i could look up?
>
> i'm not sure it would be practical for me, but i'm curious. but
> they're big, you say?

As I recall (Jun cooks, I eat), they are cast iron with a number of brass
'blowtorches'. Not overly large; the monster reference was to the amount of
heat they can generate. They can get a wok red-hot in seconds if ya turn
'em full up (and keep it hot as ya cook, with no problem). No name or
brand. Go to Chinatown (if there's one nearby), go to a store that sells
carbon steel woks and buy one. They should either have the burners or be
able to direct you to a place that does.

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:51:38 -0700, Bill
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> On 21 Apr 2007 03:52:56 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:

>> >Hi Blake,
>> >
>> >We have a couple of propane wok-burners. They're monsters that we bought in
>> >Chinatown, LA CA, for parties and special needs. We do most of our
>> >carbon-steel, round bottomed wok cooking on our gas stove.

>> do you like them? got a name or brand i could look up?
>>
>> i'm not sure it would be practical for me, but i'm curious. but
>> they're big, you say?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> http://www.eastmanoutdoors.com/hardware.shtml
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...361051-7062422
>
> It's what I use. It will turn a wok bright red in 3 minutes and keep
>it that way when wide open.
>
> Bill

thank you , bill and nick, for your responses.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian
ian ian is offline

Lori Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> Need advice on purchasing a new stir-fry pan (flat bottom wok). My
> last one had a non-stick coating that scratched off and flaked. I am
> seeking recommendations on both material (stainless, cast iron,
> hammered?) and also a well liked brand.
> TIA
> Lori
> Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

That non-stick material is cancer-causing, so don't buy another non-stick.

If you have a gas stove your choices can be more flexible, I think.

I have electric, and use a stainless steel one with a thick aluminium
base. It doesn't allow for the recommended wok-seasoning, but it works
fairly well.

I tried a regular tempered steel wok, but the base soon got distorted
and then could not make proper contact with the electric plate,
creating hot-spots on the surface.

I'd like to try a cast-iron one, even though it would be very heavy,
since it would be more likely to stay flat on the base.

And yes, I hate using an electric stove.

Ian

To stir or not Joe Ae Winemaking 8 09-10-2004 01:06 PM
Whether to Stir or not Mark L. Breen Coffee 28 30-10-2003 04:10 AM