Posted to alt.food.asian

Default authentic chinese recipes on internet

as well as the request for favorate books of chinese recipes, any very good
sites for authentic excellent chinese recepes????? joel

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Jan 19, 11:04 am, "Joel" > wrote:
> as well as the request for favorate books of chinese recipes, any very good
> sites for authentic excellent chinese recepes????? joel

Honestly? Never seen a single one that wasn't lame.

Favorite books?

People's Republic of China Cookbook has been my standby for nearly 30
years.
Bruce Cost's Asian Ingredients (wish he'd do a new edition)
The Wei-Chuan books, useful for pictures of finished dishes if for no
other reason, and because they are uncompromisingly NOT western

I spent a day in the kitchen and a day in Chinatown with Martin Yan, so
I have a weak spot for his books. Painstakingly researched recipes, I
do know that, so one rarely has to mess with them. Over the years,
though, I find I rarely reach for them.

I have a similar fondness for Chef Chu. I had a wedding reception
banquet there that was one of the best meals I've ever eaten, and his
tea-smoked duck is incredible. But, again, I rarely pick up the book
anymore except for a couple of his soups.

I hadn't bought a Chinese cooking book in years until I bought Yin
Fei-Lo's The Chinese Kitchen. It is, in fact, more than a little
intimidating because so many recipes seem to require not just the usual
prep work but other recipes that must be prepared first and she doesn't
seem to believe in cheap cuts of meat. If I was cooking for more than
myself these days, I'd probably be using it more.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.food.asian

Joel wrote:
> as well as the request for favorate books of chinese recipes, any very good
> sites for authentic excellent chinese recepes????? joel

Here are some authentic (I think) food links. I am sorry it
took so long for me to produce this, but lots of my links are
quite old, so I had to check which ones were still viable.

http://www.chinavoc.com/cuisine/index.asp

http://www.china-on-site.com/cookingindex.php

http://www.china.org.cn/english/food/26593.htm

http://www.china.org.cn/english/imperial/25792.htm
perhaps redundant

http://www.nicemeal.com/index.html

http://www.towngascooking.com/eng/recipes/recipes.asp

http://www.flavorandfortune.com/recipes.html
under construction, but possibly interesting

http://www.jschina.com.cn/gb/jschina...es/index.shtml

http://www.shme.com/shanghai_other/eating/e_dish.htm

And I can’t access chinavista. Don’t know whether that site’s
still up, or whether it’s worthy....

If I get really inspired, and recover from the hours I spent
finding the above, I'll look at my REALLY old bookmarks.

--
Jean B.

Posted to alt.food.asian

What a wonderful list. You have inspired me again.
Mpart au